DC TV Series Gotham Knights Series In Development at CW

I don’t know this for a fact — but I kinda assume that Nexstar (as a condition of purchase) was involved in the decision to axe all those DC shows. (Those shows didn’t make money on the network; and Nexstar wouldn’t get any of the ancillary revenues. So why keep ‘em?) Whereas… perhaps a different contract/arrangement was made for Gotham Knights, which was more attractive to the new owners… :shrug:

I don’t know this for a fact — but I kinda assume that Nexstar (as a condition of purchase) was involved in the decision to axe all those DC shows. (Those shows didn’t make money on the network; and Nexstar wouldn’t get any of the ancillary revenues. So why keep ‘em?) Whereas… perhaps a different contract/arrangement was made for Gotham Knights, which was more attractive to the new owners… :shrug:

I read that the main reason for all those cancellations was that the shows were no longer profitable for WB after they stupidly decided to end the Netflix licensing deal because they wanted to put everything on HBO Max. But the shows didn't pull in enough subscribers for HBO Max to justify the cost of making them. And the ratings for those shows on the CW are dismal so that won't eek out a profit either. WB could have kept cashing those fat Netflix checks and everything would have been fine.

I read that the main reason for all those cancellations was that the shows were no longer profitable for WB after they stupidly decided to end the Netflix licensing deal because they wanted to put everything on HBO Max. But the shows didn't pull in enough subscribers for HBO Max to justify the cost of making them. And the ratings for those shows on the CW are dismal so that won't eek out a profit either. WB could have kept cashing those fat Netflix checks and everything would have been fine.

Yeah; this seems to have been an important factor. On the other hand… S&L was renewed. Is it because its ratings (though hardly great compared to the big networks) were good enough to turn a profit for the CW and its new owners? But then, what of something like Nancy Drew? Its ratings were pretty low — even lower than Batwoman’s methinks. And yet, ND was renewed while BW was cancelled. Was it because ND was a CBS show (with different revenue scheme?) while BW was WB? (Though, the renewed Kung Fu has similar ratings, and it’s a WB production.) Also: it seems like the old CW might have given the long-running Legends of Tomorrow a final, shortened season 8 to tie up loose ends and resolve the cliff-hanger. (And, presumably, a proper ending would make the show more attractive/valuable for syndication. Such a concession was extended to The Flash.) But the new CW got ruthless. Not making money for the network right here, right now… You’re cancelled.

Finally (and on topic): Judging by the premise and trailer, I don’t expect Gotham Knights to score big ratings. Maybe, if it’s lucky, something in the now-cancelled Batwoman or LoT range. So then, why greenlight GK at all? The only thing that comes to mind is that a new revenue share formula was established — which was attractive to Nexstar and (somehow) couldn’t be retroactively applied to Batwoman, LoT, Stargirl, Naomi, etc. And just parenthetically, GK is being shot in Toronto rather than Vancouver. Does that make a $ difference?

I'm just curious to know if there's a method behind this madness. :word:

BTW, despite all the chaos, the CW is producing other new drama series. E.g.: Walker: Independence (spinoff); The Winchesters (a prequel spinoff); etc. Also importing some series: Family Law (Canadian legal drama with Victor Garber and Jewel Staite); Professionals (South African action/adventure with Tom Welling and Brendan Fraser :ebr:).

I suppose the Batwoman cast would have had larger paychecks going into a fourth season, so Gotham Knights was a way to:

- Still have a Batman-adjacent show on the CW.
- Hire a no name, cheap as chips cast.
- Trim the budget with less super suits/superpowers/GCI stuff.
- Maintain a similar target demographic.

We'll see if it pays off. We should never judge a show by it's pilot trailer.

We're definitely going backwards with DC content where they want to tackle the cheaper things once again.

Finally (and on topic): Judging by the premise and trailer, I don’t expect Gotham Knights to score big ratings. Maybe, if it’s lucky, something in the now-cancelled Batwoman or LoT range. So then, why greenlight GK at all? The only thing that comes to mind is that a new revenue share formula was established — which was attractive to Nexstar and (somehow) couldn’t be retroactively applied to Batwoman, LoT, Stargirl, Naomi, etc. And just parenthetically, GK is being shot in Toronto rather than Vancouver. Does that make a $ difference?

I'm just curious to know if there's a method behind this madness. :word:

They are attempting at targeting a different audience than the Arrowverse shows.

I think I got to make 1 or 2 comments here before the trailer came out and subsequently gave me the ick and scared me away, but I came back after learning this show was not cancelled.

The thread is dead, but here's some info-y things:

- I think they reshot the pilot b/c the directors who did the first 3 eps of this show did not include Danny Canon.

-They're filming the show in Atlanta instead of Toronto.

- And they feel their chances of getting a season 2 is good (but not guaranteed).

Anyway, I hope the show is better than what the trailer teased; unlike other CW shows of the past, this show will have all eps filmed before it airs, which means they can catch errors, add scenes, and whatever else before they send it to the network.

But I won't hold my breath for something good ‍.

I don’t know what to make of the series but that was a more decent trailer than the first and got me more interested in the series and its storyline. Hoping for the best and will mostly likely watch the season. Points for the shows take on Gotham looking like Gotham and featuring Blimps. It also is going to be kinda cool having a two hour DC block on The CW again with Gotham Knights and Superman and Lois.

Someone in this show has a costume, right? Like with a cape? Robin's got the goggles, but that's it.

I still don't know what to make of the tone. It feels like it falls between Batwoman and Gotham, but Batwoman had the advantage of taking place in an established shared universe, while Gotham embraced and leaned into its silliness and dark tone that made it stand apart from the Arrowverse shows. It's too soon to tell, but I feel like this show will struggle to find its identity.

Also, I hope that 'I'm Robin' reveal goes over better in context, compared to when Dick revealed himself in Titans. Then again, this show probably doesn't have a fanboy on the team like Gar:

titans-movie.gif

I already hate the premise, so I'm not going to watch this... unless it gets really good reviews. Why can't we just get a Batfamily show with Batman? It seems like killing off Batman is the new "evil Superman."

It is, its mediocre talent who only know "Lets make the character evil" or "lets kill a known character". Thinking its really creative. This show looks like it was made by a bunch of 14 year olds , with stuff they bought from Walmart.

It is, its mediocre talent who only know "Lets make the character evil" or "lets kill a known character". Thinking its really creative. This show looks like it was made by a bunch of 14 year olds , with stuff they bought from Walmart.

But isn’t “evolution” (deviation from the original source material) fairly common with longstanding properties? For instance, there’s an established canon for Sherlock Holmes — those stories actually written by A. Conan Doyle. Subsequently, however, a plethora of derivative works, homages and pastiches have appeared. And some are fairly radical: the quintessentially Victorian Holmes transposed to the 21st century :ebr:; Holmes with a previously unknown (and equally brilliant) younger sister :ebr:; etc. And yet, both Sherlock and Enola Holmes were decent. Something a little closer to home: the premise of Batman Beyond strikes me (an old-timer) as an extreme departure from the traditional mythos. But I’m led to understand that BB has many serious and enthusiastic fans. Likewise, the character of “Connor Kent” seems (to me) like an invention of uninspired writers — an attempt to recapture a younger demographic with a “Cousin Oliver.” But, again, what do I know? Connor Kent is, apparently, a popular new-ish addition to the Super Family.

And to be clear, I’m not defending Gotham Knights. Indeed, based on the show’s description, trailer and CW pedigree, I’m assuming it’ll be crap. I’m just saying, as a general principle, that major deviations from tradition don’t necessarily result in crap. (See above.)

Its hard to take "evolution" like this as anything that improves on the original material, and respects what has come before. This looks, like you said, like crap.

"Batman Beyond" respected most (note most) of what came before. Until they apparantly recently did a story in the comics where Bruce Wayne gets murdered. That made me fully lose interest in Batman Beyond.

If this becomes a huge hit, I have no trouble admitting that I was wrong, and clearly there is a big audience for this.

But so far this looks like usual WB watering down the DC/Batman brand by making these cheapo cosplay TV shows.

I mean, at least "Gotham" looked pretty good for a TV show. This does not.

Really enjoying that the cast of this show are all recognizable if obscure Batman characters and then the lead is... Turner Hayes, son of Batman.

Ah yes, my favourite Batman character: His adopted son Turner.

I already hate the premise, so I'm not going to watch this... unless it gets really good reviews. Why can't we just get a Batfamily show with Batman? It seems like killing off Batman is the new "evil Superman."

I assume its because WB doesnt allow Batman to be used much outside of their Movie universe.
But then, why even greenlight such a show and the character be used at all?

Like, what we have seen so far is worse than not having batman in this at all.
So why allow the character to be showed at all when its this garbage?

I mentioned it a few times how awful i find WBs approach to IP protection.
Its dumb as hell and their alternative always ended up bad.
They dont want a full blown batman show to protect the IP or some nonsense, but give their okay to stuff like the Gotham Final shot or this show?

Would a Batfamily show with Batman really be so much worse than this kind of stuff?
I dont think so.

Anyway, the new Trailer keeps making this show look bad.
We will see how the show turns out in the end, but i dont have a lot of faith in it.

Pennyworth just got axed which means that this and Superman & Lois are the only past DC shows that have yet to be cancelled. I don't see this series going past season 1.

Merger, DC Studios or otherwise, this series felt like it was on borrowed time and more of an afterthought when Batwoman already got axed.

Kind of like how Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants felt like afterthoughts when the Disney/Fox acquisition finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"