Gotham Gotham Season 2, Episode 7 "Mommy's Little Monster"

There's not enough evidence that we can conclusively take it one way or the other. The fact that the letter would be more "poignant" is not evidence. For you to claim conclusive evidence you would have to show indisputable facts from the show about how much time has passed between each episode and between each scene in each episode.

The other fact is that there is practically no other way for us to treat the characters' age than by assuming they age one year per season at least for the younger cast. If that were not so we would have Bruce trying to act like a fourteen-year-old in season six when the actor is eighteen. It would be ludicrous.

Silver isn't "accomplished" in the "femme fatale" role more than would be expected from a fifteen-year-old girl who's likely been trained in subterfuge all her life.

What I see is a load of people who are uncomfortable about children being "sexualized" when the truth, which everyone knows, is that practically all teenagers think about sex, and most fifteen-year-old boys think about sex all the time, while the furthest this show has taken it is... hold on to your hats here... Bruce kissing Selina and Silver, or rather them kissing him.

The whinefest is rather laughable and it's part of a Puritan mindset.

....must resist urge to point out that you mean it's more of a Victorian mindset than a Puritan mindset. The Puritans were, y'know, puritanical but also pretty earthy in a lot of ways. They weren't bawdy or in anyway accepting of anything remotely approaching immorality, but considering about 30% or more of their weddings were apparently shotgun weddings...

It's the Victorians who embraced that whole "prudishness to the point of ignorance" thing.

And a young Bruce gives you the opportunity to illustrate his training during the show, and I mean even his early stuff. We've got boxing lessons now, but someone on the writing staff has to have a plan for a Henri Ducard or David Cain putting a still mid-to-late teens Bruce through some hell for training.

One of the biggest issues I had with that "Bruce Wayne" script that mutated into "Smallville" was that late-teens Bruce there was already a fully trained fighter. That's an entire story arc I want to see.

A boy who has gone through intense martial arts training since he was thirteen or fourteen, assuming he's already the great talent we must assume him to be, could be a quite deadly fighter by age eighteen. (Edit, I misunderstood your post, and I agree with it.)

Also I lazily use the terms "Puritan" and "Victorian" interchangeably, and I know it's a bit imprecise, but I trust I'm getting my point across. When contemporary people use the term "Puritan" they do not refer to the 16th Century religious movement.

Last edited:
despite his parents' death, his investigation into Wayne industries, and the discovery of his father's caves and secrets, this Bruce is still relatively naïve and innocent and sheltered - still too trusting of others. As Selina said, he's not a good judge of character.

however, by the end of this season, once he discovers Galavan's and Silver's true motives, he's going to have a markedly different outlook on the world and we will see him taking his training much more seriously.

indeed, if he learns that his father's secret was him wanting to wage a "war" on the corruption in Wayne Industries and in Gotham, we could see young Bruce dedicating himself to that mission and vowing to finish the plans his father set in place.

Last edited:
We still have the mystery of Thomas's computer and that bulletproof vest with the blood on it...

I will admit a certain ironic satisfaction of the person who helps Bruce learn to be cautious in trusting people is the perennially inconsistent Catwoman.

Yeah, you'd think she wouldn't need to say anything. She'd just need to act herself and eventually Bruce would wisen up.

Look, more people whining about fifteen-year-olds behaving like fifteen-year-olds. Shocker.

This was the best episode yet of the entire show.

Not liking something is whining now ? :whatever:

I dunno what their precise age is but these kids are not fifteen. Maybe fourteen at most.

I think Bruce in this series is a 14 year old, while Silver and Selina are 15 year olds (or maybe even 16).

I'm not sure. Girls mature faster than boys, so they may look more mature while being his age.

So we're basically just going to ignore the only concrete information we have, which is the exact age of the actors, just so we can pretend to be more horrified about them dating?

Camren Bicondova was born May 22nd, 1999. Natalie Alyn Lind was born June 21st, 2000. David Mazouz was born Feb 19th, 2001. That makes them sixteen, fifteen and fourteen years old respectively.

So we're basically just going to ignore the only concrete information we have, which is the exact age of the actors, just so we can pretend to be more horrified about them dating?

Tom Welling was 23 when he started in Smallville... playing a 15-year old. Yeah, that means nothing.

This isn't Smallville. There is no setting to give away the characters' age at any point except for that one letter which can have been written the day before or several months earlier and there is no way to conclusively prove how much time floats between scenes and episodes.

The best information we have is actually that Bruce is now attending "prep school", which in North America is "a high school, either private or public, designed to prepare students aged 14–18 for higher education at a university or college." However that doesn't mean the Gotham version of "prep school" is necessarily the same or that Bruce necessarily fits that age group.

This is a good source, but please do note this:

"Reilly didn’t go into specifics about Wayne’s age throughout the series, but noted that it will lead up to his decision to don a cape and fight crime."

Also I'll quote you, "Selina and Silver are repeatedly said on the show to be his age". No, Selina is actually said to be "hardly older" than Bruce by Jim in an obvious attempt to brush aside the age difference. And then, again, there's that little detail that he and Silver are now both going to high school.

This is a good source, but please do note this:

"Reilly didn’t go into specifics about Wayne’s age throughout the series, but noted that it will lead up to his decision to don a cape and fight crime."

Also I'll quote you, "Selina and Silver are repeatedly said on the show to be his age". No, Selina is actually said to be "hardly older" than Bruce by Jim in an obvious attempt to brush aside the age difference. And then, again, there's that little detail that he and Silver are now both going to high school.

Bruce is 12 in season 1. The "didn't go into specifics" means he's not going to go into the details of future time jumps "throughout the series" (which will obviously be necessary due to the actor's aging). He was specific about Bruce's season 1 age, just not about how he would age over the course of the whole show.

Selina and Silver are around the same age as Bruce. If older (I highly doubt it) then they aren't by much.

There's no way they jumped from a 12 year old season 1 Bruce to a 15 year old season 2 Bruce.

No, I am actually acknowleding concrete information. If we go by this article, which I had not seen before, then Bruce is indeed 12 years old in the pilot. This does not give us his age in season two episode seven, where he is going to a school for people aged fourteen to eighteen. I could throw that back in your face and declare victory, but I'm not going to be dishonest. It would be very possible that Bruce would have skipped a year and that he is only thirteen, but there is no way we can know this, since the show, quite deliberately I believe, is being blurry on the matter.

What we know without a shadow of a doubt is the age of the actors and what we see on screen. That's all.

You're selectively ignoring evidence so you don't have to retract your argument. Meh.

The actor's ages are irrelevant, and your school theory is mere conjecture.

Selina and Silver are around the same age as Bruce. If older (I highly doubt it) then they aren't by much.
I have already provided you with show canon that Selina is older and there is no way to determine by how much. Where does it say on the show that Silver and Bruce are the same age? We know they go to the same school, that Silver is new there because she's been in Switzerland, and that is all.

No, I am actually acknowleding concrete information. If we go by this article, which I had not seen before, then Bruce is indeed 12 years old in the pilot. This does not give us his age in season two episode seven, where he is going to a school for people aged fourteen to eighteen. I could throw that back in your face and declare victory, but I'm not going to be dishonest. It would be very possible that Bruce would have skipped a year and that he is only thirteen, but there is no way we can know this, since the show, quite deliberately I believe, is being blurry on the matter.
Sure, there's no way we can know if he skipped a year or not. But we know he was 12 in the pilot. We know S2 picks up exactly where S1 left off. By that reckoning, there's simply no way the episodes we've seen so far take place in a three-year span. Bruce is, most likely, 13.
What we know without a shadow of a doubt is the age of the actors and what we see on screen. That's all.
Which, on TV, means nothing at all.

You're selectively ignoring evidence so you don't have to retract your argument. Meh.

The actor's ages are irrelevant, and your school theory is mere conjecture.
No, I am acknowleding your evidence. That's why I said that if we go with that article Bruce is indeed 12 in the pilot. Stop being dishonest. How can my "school theory" be "mere conjecture" when it is shown on screen in no ambigious terms?

I have already provided you with show canon that Selina is older and there is no way to determine by how much. Where does it say on the show that Silver and Bruce are the same age? We know they go to the same school, that Silver is new there because she's been in Switzerland, and that is all.

In the episode "Selina Kyle," season 1, when she is arguing with the officer about being sent upstate, the officer tells her that aside from having outstanding warrants, she is 13 years old with no legal guardian.

Silver has already said she is looking for friends her own age, and I believe Galavan said the same.

Sure, there's no way we can know if he skipped a year or not. But we know he was 12 in the pilot. We know S2 picks up exactly where S1 left off. By that reckoning, there's simply no way the episodes we've seen so far take place in a three-year span. Bruce is, most likely, 13.

Which, on TV, means nothing at all.
We know he was 12 but we do not know if he was 12 years 1 day or 12 years 11 months 29 days old. We have never seen a birthday celebrated on the show but we don't know if there has been one. I doubt Bruce would've felt like celebrating.

Also Season 2 actually picks up one month after Season 1, not "exactly after", and again we have no relibable way of knowing how much time passes between scenes and between episodes.

What I am boiling this down to, quite simply, is that we simply can't know the exact age one way or the other. Thus when people come up with their moral objections about teenagers being shown on screen having love interests I usually refer to the age of the actors because that is at least part of what, if anything, would make something like that uncomfortable to watch.

And again what they have shown thus far is two kisses one of which lasted a microsecond. I'll live.

Children can attend U.S. prep schools. Not all U.S. prep schools are high school age only. A quick look at wikipedia would tell you that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"