Gotham Gotham Season 2, Episode 4 "Strike Force" General Discussion

Whilst this show doesn't seem to be following comic continuity, e.g. Maroni being killed before he threw the acid in Harvey Dent's face and turned him into Two Face, it is obvious there is going to be a love triangle between Selina, Bruce and Silver St cloud. Perhaps Selina realises that Galavan is using Silver to manipulate Bruce but when she tries to warn him, Bruce accuses her of being jealous?
It's very likely.

First of all, yes, it's rather obvious Selina's in love with Bruce, and has been for a while, even if Bruce has zero clue. Second, people who are fans of the Batcat dynamic needn't be worried about Silver, for the following reasons:

This show is shaping up to be one of the strongest Bruce/Selina iterations yet. They had her witness his parents' murder which had never happened in any continuity. They have them strike a friendship as kids.

Now, they introduce a love interest in the form of Silver for Bruce, but nothing about it seems to be about them. The Bruce and Silver pairing seems to be designed to serve as a contrast for Bruce and Selina {rich kid versus street girl}, and Silver was never used in that fashion before. They are explicitely saying one purpose is to have Selina get jealous, possibly try to win him back and shifting the power dynamic slightly.

They're also using her as a means for Theo to get closer to him and it's anyone's guess if she'll turn out to be a villain or just a pawn. Either way the fallout if nothing else is likely to break them up.

Bruce and Silver is less about them than it is about Bruce and Theo, and Bruce and Selina.

In other words the show writers seem perfectly willing to burn a major, canon love interest just for exposition for Batcat. That's how serious they are about them.

I really find it interesting how there's this sort of identity crisis happening with Cobblepot compared to the self-proclaimed destiny he rehearsed in the first season.

He's trying to reintroduce the name "Penguin" to Gotham as something different than what he created and is now known for since season one.

Think about it. The clothes and the honorable kiss of death self marks him as a mobster of sorts, but you hear him say, "I'm a builder, not a destroyer." He has this image of himself being none of which he has done, which I find characteristically ironic and he's beginning to realize that escaping his beginnings as "Mooney's umbrella boy" will be one of the toughest bullets to dodge.

The original concept of The Penguin was meant to personalize not only a cigarette company logo, but a corrupt aristocrat. So to see the actor playing this version of Cobblepot actually show somewhat of a concern for the residential area of his city makes this Penguin so much more superior than portrayals from the past. It shows layers that this guy for all his issues and faults still believes himself to be the savior who was never given a chance.

All of the above yes. I've been asking for a Penguin like this on film for a long time and totally happy with what we've been given on this show. Of all the villains he's the one I want to end up on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"