Grand Theft Auto V (A.K.A 5) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saints Row 3 is leagues ahead of GTA 4. GTA 5 wont be at e3, its one of the few games that's bigger than e3
SR3 was a bit too stupid and silly for me. I much prefer GTAIV

SR3 was a bit too stupid and silly for me. I much prefer GTAIV

GTA IV was too dramatic for my liking. I feel like they desperately need to return to a happy medium between Saints Row and GTAIV. Vice City is the perfect example of that medium.

I agree with Matt. It's not a sentence that is said often, but I do.

GTA IV gave me no desire to play beyond stealing cars and running people over, because it just took itself way too seriously.

GTA IV gave me no desire to play beyond stealing cars and running people over, because it just took itself way too seriously.

Yep. It tried to make Niko empathetic, but it failed entirely. It is hard to feel pity for a guy who keeps saying how he doesn't want to be a criminal, how he isn't a bad man but life just gave him bad circumstances, etc...then turns around and starts shooting cops. The tone it goes for just doesn't work in a game where one must be a mass murderer.

I haven't played The Lost&Damned But The Ballad of Gay Tony has a much more GTA feeling than regular GTA IV,The main character is a Liberty City local thug and he's not a bad person But he likes what he is&does and is even cool with being Gay Tony's bodyguard&friend,The missions can get crazy like him getting a swat team tank to destroy stuff/throw an internet bloger from an helicopter then parachute to catch him&scare him/shoot outs in clubs like something from movies and my favorite mission..You/Brucie&His older brother steal cars&have to escape the cops and it'll something straight out of a fast&furious movie with crazy stunts&sh**!
!!

You get more&new badass weapons including sticky bombs,Badass new vehicles including a swat team tank&helicopters with unlimited missiles,Even get a parachute to jump from building&helicopters,New activities to do offline including underground fighting in the style of Fight Club!!!!

Last edited:
I loved GTAIV. Yes it was a serious game, but there was a lot of humor.

and I thought SR3 was way too out there. IA with him in finding a good medium bc I found the story in SR3 to be too stupid, over the top and not that engaging. I found myself caring more for the side missions than the actual campaign

I loved GTA 4. It may have been serious but there was some truly hilarious moments. I loved that Brucey guy.

I loved GTA 4. It may have been serious but there was some truly hilarious moments. I loved that Brucey guy.
Me too. I dont get why people say it wasnt funny. That game had lots of humor. Just bc it wasnt over the top with the sillyness, doesnt mean there wasnt any humor. Nico was a more serious protagonist, but he was placed in a world, filled with crazy and out there characters. The interactions he had with them and the dialogue placed in the game made for some hilarious moments

The problem is Niko was out of place. He was a dramatic character in a comedy. And it wasn't like watching a Leslie Neilsen movie where he is playing it straight in the midst of wackiness. Niko was written as a straight, dramatic character. We're supposed to empathize with him and feel for him and it is impossible due to the nature of the world of GTA. HE felt out of place and being as it was his story, the story felt out of place.

Ehhh i don't think so. You say we couldn't sympathise with him because he was killing cops and what not? Well you don't HAVE to kill cops or innocents if you don't want to. Apart from maybe than bank robbery mission with Packie (which was fantastic btw).

It's like any countless number of characters in films throughout the years. Yea sometimes they do morally questionable or even reprehensible things, but if written well you can at least connect to them, if not actually sympathise with them. Robert De Niro's character in Heat, for a relevant example.

But DeNiro doesn't spend the whole movie whining about it.

Eh, I dunno, It still worked for me. It was like Red Dead Redemption, in fact both the characters of Marston and Niko were quite similar. They were victims of the world they grew up in and were trying in vain to live an honourable life, but as both games point out, victim or not, it's still them pulling the trigger and committing the crime and they are ultimately accountable.

Also with Niko he was a fish out of water, a foreigner in America. I thought there was enough scope for there to be funny missions and more serious missions, both of which worked for me, same as in Red Dead, serious missions and then the West Dickens or Seth missions.

Red Dead played like a drama with some comedic moments. Grand Theft Auto IV played like a comedy with a dramatic character and plot shoehorned into the main focus.

I don't agree with that, I think it had more serious elements than comedic ones. At it's core, from the very first introduction to the Belic cousins, we see that Niko has got a lot of demons and that he's not so much starting a new life but running from an old one.. That sold a real and 3D character to me and it didn't feel in anyway like a comedy premise. Like most Rockstar games, it's a character based stories and most characters have shades of many things so there is room for both comedy and drama.

But also, as an open world game that can be played many ways, I guess it could make sense that it's played or receieved differently by different people.

In fact, I guess that's indisputable since in this forum I've seen people say it was TOO funny, TOO serious or the perfect balance.

Wolvieboy17 said:
I don't agree with that, I think it had more serious elements than comedic ones. At it's core, from the very first introduction to the Belic cousins, we see that Niko has got a lot of demons and that he's not so much starting a new life but running from an old one.. That sold a real and 3D character to me and it didn't feel in anyway like a comedy premise. Like most Rockstar games, it's a character based stories and most characters have shades of many things so there is room for both comedy and drama.

And there in lies the problem.

So having differing opinions is a problem now? And here I was thinking that's what usually lay at the heart of an interesting discussion...

Yep. The game actually gets boring after you beat the story mode. And I don't really like Niko as a main character.

Hopefully GTA V comes out late this year. Every other game that I've been wanting to play has been delayed until next year.

Saints Row: The Third > Every GTA

13077267582932.gif

[BLACKOUT]Still looking forward to GTAV though.[/BLACKOUT]

So having differing opinions is a problem now? And here I was thinking that's what usually lay at the heart of an interesting discussion...

No, not your opinion. My opinion is that having more serious elements than comedic is the problem. Playing as an unjustified mass murderer really doesn't work unless it's comedic.

Im stoked GTA has left the over the top comedy behind. The series is infinitely better for it. Rockstar is capable of doing a great satire without being stupid, like the Saints Row games...which suck something fierce.

Im stoked GTA has left the over the top comedy behind. The series is infinitely better for it. Rockstar is capable of doing a great satire without being stupid, like the Saints Row games...which suck something fierce.
aint that the truth

Did you play The Third? It's a fantastic game.

You're crazy, Saints Row the Third >>>>>> GTA4.

But with GTA, I don't mind them taking the games in a serious route, but I don't see why they had to get rid of the cheat codes that made the games infinitely better by allowing the ridiculousness of the gameplay available. :down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"