Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get little Groot in his pot. Aww.

ulJWsPW.jpg

Not sure if I'm missing something here, but Reilly says about them calling themselves the GOTG, yet there seems to be an assumption that they meet in prison?

Love the look of Nebula, and in that shot where she's neck stabbing that guy, British people may recognize Brendan Brady from Hollyoaks. Yes, I have watched some Hollyoaks in my time.
Its assumed by most I think that they're arrested twice, or its a trailer only line maybe.

Anyone else notice the guy Nebula's got there is dressed as a Nova Corps guy?

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Trailer a Social Media Smash, Bigger Than ‘Man of Steel’

Twitter and Facebook users were hooked on “The Guardians of the Galaxy,” making the first trailer for the Marvel superhero film a viral smash, according to a survey by social media research firm Fizziology.

After debuting Tuesday on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” the footage for the upcoming outer space adventure attracted 88,000 mentions across Twitter, Facebook and various blogs in a 12-hour period between 11 p.m. EST until 11 a.m. EST. By way of contrast, in the first 24 hours following their trailer debuts, “Man of Steel” attracted 75,000 social mentions, and “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ inspired 96,000 mentions — and those were released at a reasonable hour.

“The Guardians of the Galaxy” trailer has drawn more than 4 million views on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!’s” YouTube page.
“The reaction was giddy,” Ben Carlson, president and co-creator of Fizziology, said. “I think a lot of people didn’t know how the film was going to work, it’s five superheroes and one of them is a raccoon and another is a tree. But they nailed the tone. It was light and fun and full of action and you see that reflected in the social media reaction.”

Carlson’s description of the film’s off-beat appeal is accurate. “The Guardians of the Galaxy” centers on a cadre of intergalactic misfits, one of whom is a raccoon adventurer named Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and another is a tree-like creature called Groot (vocal honors come courtesy of Vin Diesel). Rocket Raccoon was mentioned in 3 percent of conversations, while Groot was only brought up in 1 percent of the social media back-and-forth. But those characters weren’t generating the lion’s share of buzz.

Most of viewers’ attention was focused on Chris Pratt, the “Parks & Recreation” actor who plays Peter Quill, a.k.a Star Lord, a devil-may-care Earthling-turned-space-traveler. Pratt and his on-screen alter ego were mentioned in 5 percent of the social conversation, Fizziology reports, the most of any character or actor in the film.

“He was earning a lot of comparisons to a young Harrison Ford as Han Solo, so that’s a good sign,” Carlson said.
Unlike many superhero films, “The Guardians of the Galaxy” is not a household name and the level of discussion around the footage is all the more impressive because it premiered late at night. Most teasers debut mid-day, giving them more time to build up a presence online.

One warning: This may not make the perfect date night movie — Fizziology reports that 75 percent of the social conversation came from men — but it is diverse in another respect: 32 percent of the social chatter hailed from New York and Los Angeles, which is less than most trailers, which typically see more than 40 percent of discussions coming from those two cities.

The use of the 1970s Blue Swede easy listening hit, “Hooked on a Feeling,” was another standout. The title of the song and its memorable opening lines, “Ooga-chucka ooga-ooga,” popped up in 2 percent of discussion around the film.

http://www.thewrap.com/guardians-galaxy-trailer-social-media-smash-bigger-man-steel/

Its assumed by most I think that they're arrested twice, or its a trailer only line maybe.

Anyone else notice the guy Nebula's got there is dressed as a Nova Corps guy?

Yeah, the trailer clearly makes it apparent that they already know each other at the point of the line up. The "They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy" followed by the "What a bunch of A-holes." Makes that clear. So they've obviously known each other for a while at that point.

Best Buy on 5th Ave in NYC played the trailer on a loop on all their TV screens this afternoon. The reception was phenomenal. People were standing in groups watching it over and over. My worry about public reception is slowly fading :up: hope to see the same response this weekend in theaters

It just looks completely bizarre and unique. That's why it's getting a lot of attention i think.

Best Buy on 5th Ave in NYC played the trailer on a loop on all their TV screens this afternoon. The reception was phenomenal. People were standing in groups watching it over and over. My worry about public reception is slowly fading :up: hope to see the same response this weekend in theaters

:woot: :up:

It's like Hooked on a Feeling is the movie singing directly at the audience.

Have to believe the use of Hooked on a Feeling (especially how it's used in the latter half of the trailer) and the comedy shown so far are what drew people to it.

Sorry if this has been talked about before (there's a lot of pages in the last 20 hours or so). Has Gunn said anything about any of this being shot just for the trailer (or earlier just for Comic Con) and might not show up in the movie?

That's amazing! I hope the interest will be able to substain itself for another 5-6 months when GOTG finally premieres.

Sorry if this has been talked about before (there's a lot of pages in the last 20 hours or so). Has Gunn said anything about any of this being shot just for the trailer (or earlier just for Comic Con) and might not show up in the movie?

No, it's actual movie footage

He said the stuff with O'Reilly and the other Nova Corps guard are part of the movie. A lot of the stuff shown in the Comic-Con teaser was footage shot in wardrobe/make-up and lighting tests. I think the breakdown of the trailer Gunn gave Total Film perfectly explains many questions people have about this movie.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-s-trailer-breakdown

That's amazing! I hope the interest will be able to substain itself for another 5-6 months when GOTG finally premieres.

I hope so. I love the promo. Always have. But even now I'm still worried it's cut a bit too "out there" for the masses. Curious to see what non-geeky movies it plays with this weekend. That's where I think the purest response will come from. After today's thing though I feel I can breathe easier. Still not a fan of the editing though hah

hey, anyone have a free image hosting site other than Image shack and Photobucket? I need to up load full size Wallpapers and all tinypic does is 1024x768

I hope so. I love the promo. Always have. But even now I'm still worried it's cut a bit too "out there" for the masses. Curious to see what non-geeky movies it plays with this weekend. That's where I think the purest response will come from. After today's thing though I feel I can breathe easier. Still not a fan of the editing though hah

Well, it's a very quirky movie (and some may say even kooky), or maybe what it needs is a trailer that reflects that kind of personality.

He said the stuff with O'Reilly and the other Nova Corps guard are part of the movie. A lot of the stuff shown in the Comic-Con teaser was footage shot in wardrobe/make-up and lighting tests. I think the breakdown of the trailer Gunn gave Total Film perfectly explains many questions people have about this movie.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-s-trailer-breakdown

Okay, thanks. I thought I had heard around the time of the Comic Con footage that he had done some of it just as a way to introduce the characters and it wasn't going to be part of the finished film. I'm sure that I'm remembering what I heard wrong (or my mind completely made it up).

Well, it's a very quirky movie (and some may say even kooky), or maybe what it needs is a trailer that reflects that kind of personality.

Absolutely. As long as it's stuff people want to see in trailer form. I have no worry whatsoever about this movie. But I do worry about the marketing. They need to get asses in seats. Lots. More than Cap 1 and Thor 1. The movie itself can be as outrageous as it has to be, as long as it garners a wicked positive reception. If not I'd rather MS hide the kookiness a bit to make it more universal. Whatever it takes to give it a big debut

okay thanks SABE, I can't believe Image shack is now asking for money to upload pics

Yeah you only get a free 30 day trial to post anything then you can't upload anymore. I'm gonna try flickr, says you get 1tb of space. I guess i'll check out this imgur.

hey, anyone have a free image hosting site other than Image shack and Photobucket? I need to up load full size Wallpapers and all tinypic does is 1024x768

Imgur is the best site for that just now I think.

I can't believe some sites are charging for hosting pics, it's ridiculous.

Absolutely. As long as it's stuff people want to see in trailer form. I have no worry whatsoever about this movie. But I do worry about the marketing. They need to get asses in seats. Lots. More than Cap 1 and Thor 1. The movie itself can be as outrageous as it has to be, as long as it garners a wicked positive reception. If not I'd rather MS hide the kookiness a bit to make it more universal. Whatever it takes to give it a big debut

Well, if they try to hide the kookiness, some moviegoers will see GOTG and discovered that it wasn't the kind of movie shown in the trailer. But making it too kooky and it might turn some section of the GA off. I think they will have to be honest about what the movie is, because you just can't hide the outrageous contents in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"