Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before. I think they haven't cast him yet because he's CGI.

While I think it will be a mix of CGI and prosthetic, the reason for lack of casting is simply because he is the big bad of the MCU, and the biggest casting decision for any Marvel movie coming up in the next 4-5 years. I think the lack of casting news has nothing to do with him "not being cast" since people seem to be taking EVERYTHING at face value (lol at it being so strait forward... especially for this movie)

Thanos' actor has simply more than likely not been announced yet because they are delaying the news, as "the big supprise".. as it's the biggest casting news of the MCU, simple. A surprise. I can't believe that some people seem to think that the ONLY reason we haven't heard anything is because he hasn't been casted yet.

Thanos could have been casted before Pratt was, for all we know. Even if he WAS, they STILL wouldn't announce it. Cause Thanos is THE BIG BAD of the MCU. Not sure when he was/will be cast, but regardless, we are going to wait, because of the fact that he is the biggest casting of the MCU, it has nothing to do with "him simply not being cast yet" as some people seem to be implying. The reason for lack of news is that he is the villain of the MCU, it's simple.
I really think it's just because he doesn't have a lot of scenes in the movie and they don't have to cast him immediately. It makes even more sense if they're planning on shooting his scenes last. I really don't think it has anything to do with him being CGI nor do I think Marvel gives enough of a **** to purposely hold off on casting him by a month to "build up hype"...which doesn't make sense because we don't know when he's being cast anyway. If you're trying to imply they're holding back the name, ha, they couldn't stop one of the trades or even other websites like Bleeding Cool or even Latino Review from finding out they had cast him.

I think the lack of casting news has nothing to do with him "not being cast"
wut. I can only assume you mean they've cast him but aren't releasing the name...which like I said is near impossible anyway.

So I'm guessing Star-Lord gets his long coat style from Yondu. I also find it really interesting that the symbol on Yondu's coat is the same as the on on Star-Lord's costume in the comics. Don't think people are realizing how really cool that is.

I really think it's just because he doesn't have a lot of scenes in the movie and they don't have to cast him immediately. It makes even more sense if they're planning on shooting his scenes last. I really don't think it has anything to do with him being CGI nor do I think Marvel gives enough of a **** to purposely hold off on casting him by a month to "build up hype"...which doesn't make sense because we don't know when he's being cast anyway. If you're trying to imply they're holding back the name, ha, they couldn't stop one of the trades or even other websites like Bleeding Cool or even Latino Review from finding out they had cast him.

wut. I can only assume you mean they've cast him but aren't releasing the name...which like I said is near impossible anyway.

I had a more of a ******** response to this, but I've been drinking and I'm drunk so I apologize for sloppiness of my post. But generally, all I was saying was that I just think the lack of casting is because it's so important. They can film and structure scenes how they please. I don't know if they already cast him or not, that's not what I was implying, they may have, they may not have, I just think it's because he's so important..

But at the end of the day, it ain't worth arguing over. Thanos is in the movie, and he's guna have a decent role. And I am happy about that...and oh.

as for the bolded, well it's been confirmed by fiege himself that Thanos will have a bigger than "behind the scenes" type of role. a role "much more" than that and i've edited tyhis message about 40 times now, done lol

Last edited:
So I'm guessing Star-Lord gets his long coat style from Yondu. I also find it really interesting that the symbol on Yondu's coat is the same as the on on Star-Lord's costume in the comics. Don't think people are realizing how really cool that is.

I think it is sliding under the radar because Yondusaurus Rex is such a minor character. Some people were guessing that Yondu may be his father, but I really doubt that. Is there any word on if he comes from the future? Or was that just speculation?

as for the bolded, well it's been confirmed by fiege himself that Thanos will have a bigger than "behind the scenes" type of role.
Feige said we'd be seeing more than a head turn and smirk...that's not the same as saying he will have a bigger role than "behind the scene stuff". Especially when he said Ronan is the main villain and Thanos is the one above everything. That sounds like textbook behind the scene stuff.

and this is not what I am saying. I am simply saying the reason we haven't' heard anything is more than likely due to the fact he is the big bad, and it's standard marketing. My ideas of him already being cast were totally hypothetical. Maybe he hasn't, bet he hasn't but the reason for him not being cast isn't because "he has a small role", or because of the size of the role, I think it is because it is such an important decision, as he is the most important casting decision of the MCU. It's filming, they can structure scenes however they please.
Again, if he had a bigger role in the film he would have been cast by now. They're more than 60% done with the film at this point. You don't hold off on casting a prevalent character this long into the film just to build up hype or because it's a big decision, etc. It would make more sense if he really was going to be CGI, but I find that highly unlikely.

Dude, your opinions aren't anymore valid than anyone else. You tend to have a condescending attitude towards anyone who seems to have a different opinion than yours, please stop.
I never said my opinion is more valid than your's, which is why I THINK is prevalent in the post. That said, there are a lot of holes in your logic about Thanos in the film which I'm just pointing out.

Feige said we'd be seeing more than a head turn and smirk...that's not the same as saying he will have a bigger role than "behind the scene stuff". Especially when he said Ronan is the main villain and Thanos is the one above everything. That sounds like textbook behind the scene stuff.

Again, if he had a bigger role in the film he would have been cast by now. They're more than 60% done with the film at this point. You don't hold off on casting a prevalent character this long into the film just to build up hype or because it's a big decision, etc. It would make more sense if he really was going to be CGI, but I find that highly unlikely.

I never said my opinion is more valid than your's, which is why I THINK is prevalent in the post. That said, there are a lot of holes in your logic about Thanos in the film which I'm just pointing out.

And I disagree. As you said, they COULD be holding his scenes off. But in terms of "casting news"...news..media, just casting news, I've stated my reasons why I think it would be logical to hold off "announcing".

Yes, about Fiege, but he did say he will speak, and he did say more than a turn and smirk.."much more". Now, he aint the main villain, but I think he will have more than one or two lines in the movie.

and as for the whole, "yor opinions aren't anymore....yada yafa" ********, I've been drinking, and I can be an arrogant SOB when I do, and I will admit I am sort of talking out of my ass :p so kindly disregard that

I think it is sliding under the radar because Yondusaurus Rex is such a minor character. Some people were guessing that Yondu may be his father, but I really doubt that. Is there any word on if he comes from the future? Or was that just speculation?
Speculation. I think he's a space pirate who crashes on Peter's family farm, gets his mother killed, and then takes him into space with him and "mentors" him. This is definitely the type of relationship they have, given Rooker's comments about how Yondu has "tough love" for certain members of the cast at comic-con and the leaked photo footage has Yondu as an associate of Peter. Add the fact that Peter has a long coat like Yondu, is a space pirate like Yondu, and Yondu has the same crest on his coat as Star-Lord in the comics then you come to the conclusion that Yondu is a mentor for Peter in the film. And that's a cool way in itself to honor Yondu's history as a Guardian.

Also, I think his role in the film will be fairly large because Rooker said GotG would keep him busy for around 4 months, which means he's heavily involved in the production all the way through, and Hitflix said he would be a main villain in the film along with Pace's character (who we now know is Ronan).

Last edited:
Speculation. I think he's a space pirate who crashes on Peter's family farm, gets his mother killed, and then takes him into space with him and "mentors" him. This is definitely the type of relationship they have, given Rooker's comments about how Yondu has "tough love" for certain members of the cast at comic-con and the leaked photo footage has Yondu as an associate of Peter. Add the fact that Peter has a long coat like Yondu, is a space pirate like Yondu, and Yondu has the same crest on his coat as Star-Lord in the comics then you come to the conclusion that Yondu is a mentor for Peter in the film. And that's a cool way in itself to honor Yondu's history as a Guardian.

Also, I think his role in the film will be fairly large because Rooker said GotG would keep him busy for around 4 months, which means he's heavily involved in the production all the way through, and Hitflix said he would be a main villain in the film along with Pace's character (who we now know is Ronan).

True, plus he and gunn are good friends aren't theys.? If he is suppose to be a villain, I wonder how that will work, since you seem to think that he will sort of be a mentor of Peter. Another, "personal/relateable villain for the MCU? Speaking of Ronan......which...you didn't.. apparently mention in this post.. :doh: I'm loosing it.

what do you think of the whole, Drax having a sort of vendetta against Ronan, opposed to Thanos? Don't like that. Hopefully it goes full circle, but I really am not a fan of that.

I think they will have it where Yondu gets involved with Thanos somehow or needs whatever Star-Lord and the gang gets and that turns him against them. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances will turn them against each other.

As for Drax wanting revenge on Ronan, I definitely think by the end of the film he will turn his eyes to Thanos, because that's who Ronan is carrying out deeds for. I really see them doing an Ultimate take on Ronan, where Thanos is ordering him to do all kinds of atrocities like killings millions of civilians for disobeying Thanos but he finds ways around doing heinous acts like that. When Drax realizes Ronan is not really the bad one, and that Thanos is at fault, he'll set sights on him.

Definitely sounds more like the Ultimate version of Ronan we're getting....i.e., evil son of even more evil Emperor goes out and slaughters Drax's family (or worse); Drax has a personal vendetta against Ronan; then takes it out on the whole Thanosian Empire.

And I think the circumstantial evidence is piling up big time that Yondu is really Quill's father. The Star-Lord crest, Rooker's comments at SDCC, the fact that Yondu is the only listed "known associate" of Quill on his Nova Corps rap sheet....I think the way it all shakes out is that Quill's mom was one of Pirate Yondu's many interplanetary bedmates and Pete is his bastard son; then, for some important reason or other, Yondu returns for him later in life and takes him under his wing. Quill becomes a chip off the old block and loves his space pirating career, but around the end of Reel One, Nova Corps catches up to Yondu & Son's pirate ship at long last, and Daddy skedaddles and abandons his bastard son to the cops. Quill goes to prison where he meets the rest of the Guardians, and the rest is history. Hell, there might even be some fanservice going on there with Yondu being an original Guardian of the Galaxy before he took off on his solo career, and Quill adopting the name when he assembles Drax, Gamora, Rocket and Groot for his own crew.

Last edited:
guys...its not a mohawk...its a fin. Think of it looking more like a shark's fin but red. That's probably why they are going CGI...either that or it was cut in battle (i hope not).

source: Myself...i have been a fan of the guardians since 1990 and have read everything they have ever been in.

I think they will have it where Yondu gets involved with Thanos somehow or needs whatever Star-Lord and the gang gets and that turns him against them. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances will turn them against each other.

As for Drax wanting revenge on Ronan, I definitely think by the end of the film he will turn his eyes to Thanos, because that's who Ronan is carrying out deeds for. I really see them doing an Ultimate take on Ronan, where Thanos is ordering him to do all kinds of atrocities like killings millions of civilians for disobeying Thanos but he finds ways around doing heinous acts like that. When Drax realizes Ronan is not really the bad one, and that Thanos is at fault, he'll set sights on him.

Definitely sounds more like the Ultimate version of Ronan we're getting....i.e., evil son of even more evil Emperor goes out and slaughters Drax's family (or worse); Drax has a personal vendetta against Ronan; then takes it out on the whole Thanosian Empire.

And I think the circumstantial evidence is piling up big time that Yondu is really Quill's father. The Star-Lord crest, Rooker's comments at SDCC, the fact that Yondu is the only listed "known associate" of Quill on his Nova Corps rap sheet....I think the way it all shakes out is that Quill's mom was one of Pirate Yondu's many interplanetary bedmates and Pete is his bastard son; then, for some important reason or other, Yondu returns for him later in life and takes him under his wing. Quill becomes a chip off the old block and loves his space pirating career, but around the end of Reel One, Nova Corps catches up to Yondu & Son's pirate ship at long last, and Daddy skedaddles and abandons his bastard son to the cops. Quill goes to prison where he meets the rest of the Guardians, and the rest is history. Hell, there might even be some fanservice going on there with Yondu being an original Guardian of the Galaxy before he took off on his solo career, and Quill adopting the name when he assembles Drax, Gamora, Rocket and Groot for his own crew.

I don't know. If Ronan is sort of, taking the blame for what Thanos did to Drax' family, then okay, I am alright with that, especially since Thanos would be the one who "slaughtered his family". I just hope it's not, Ronan kills Drax's family, then Drax eventually finds out Thanos MADE him do it, I'd prefer it is Thanos.

Also, with word being that Pace's character is good at the end of the movie, does that mean that we could have another "final battle" type thing going on at the end? If not Thanos, who else?

I really think it's just because he doesn't have a lot of scenes in the movie and they don't have to cast him immediately. It makes even more sense if they're planning on shooting his scenes last. I really don't think it has anything to do with him being CGI nor do I think Marvel gives enough of a **** to purposely hold off on casting him by a month to "build up hype"...which doesn't make sense because we don't know when he's being cast anyway. If you're trying to imply they're holding back the name, ha, they couldn't stop one of the trades or even other websites like Bleeding Cool or even Latino Review from finding out they had cast him..

I'm not implying they're holding back his name. I think they're holding off because they don't need to cast him yet (because he's CGI), just like they did with Rocket and Groot. Voice actors almost always get cast well past the start of shooting. People here love to argue that, but it's true.

I don't doubt he'll only have a few scenes. My guess is he'll be CGI in all of them, though.

I'm not implying they're holding back his name. I think they're holding off because they don't need to cast him yet (because he's CGI), just like they did with Rocket and Groot. Voice actors almost always get cast well past the start of shooting. People here love to argue that, but it's true.

I don't doubt he'll only have a few scenes. My guess is he'll be CGI in all of them, though.

That's IF he's just CGI though. Hulk is bigger, AND Bulkier than Thanos, and they used mo-cap, so I don't see why Thanos would be a full on CGI creation. In terms of CGI, at most, I'd think he'd be motion captured, like Hulk was. But what I am thinking is probably a bit of motion capture, and prosthetic. Atleast for his eyes. they need to get his eyes right, I wasn't a fan of the bright and shining blue eyes in that scene lol. Thanos should have red eyes.

I want the Ruffahulk treatment too. I just think he's going to be too big for any human actor to portray (physically).

This was posted over at the Parks and Recreation Thread:

tumblr_mhtco2GR6a1ryanbvo1_500.jpg

I want the Ruffahulk treatment too. I just think he's going to be too big for any human actor to portray (physically).

Unless the shrink his mass down, but I don't think it would fully look like Thanos. His costume seems to be more like armor, so they can make it a bit bulky, I would think. My concern, is his voice and height. I think bulk is something they can manage.

But I've said so many times. I don't want Thanos to sound like a powerful monster. I want him to have a big, deep voice, cause of his size, but one that is very articulate and sophisticated sounding.

I would hope that he has atleast a few inches on Hemsworth's Thor

I'd rather they not go that route with Yondu. I'd be fine with him being the one to just whisk Peter away into space and show him the ropes, and be a metaphorical father or big brother figure rather than his actual father. That's a cooler and more interesting relationship than him actually being his father...which is kind of lame and can go in all the completely wrong ways. Given that concept art where a ship is in front of a young Quill, I'm betting that's Yondu's ship and Peter's first contact, further implying Yondu shows up after Peter had already been born.

guys...its not a mohawk...its a fin. Think of it looking more like a shark's fin but red. That's probably why they are going CGI...either that or it was cut in battle (i hope not).

source: Myself...i have been a fan of the guardians since 1990 and have read everything they have ever been in.
It's a mohawk in the movie. If you look at the design of it it's clear they're not going to CGI in a giant fin. I like his space biker/pirate look, it fits the movie and the MCU. I figured they weren't going to do the giant fin and naked hunter clothes thing.

I don't know. If Ronan is sort of, taking the blame for what Thanos did to Drax' family, then okay, I am alright with that, especially since Thanos would be the one who "slaughtered his family". I just hope it's not, Ronan kills Drax's family, then Drax eventually finds out Thanos MADE him do it, I'd prefer it is Thanos.
Well I think that's how it's going to go...Thanos ordered Ronan to subjugate a population and he/his troops ended up killing his family. Thanos wouldn't come down and little dirty work like that himself. Ronan leads his armies.

I know what you meant, I was responding to Jaqua with that. And like I said, I highly doubt he'll be CGI.

Well I think that's how it's going to go...Thanos ordered Ronan to subjugate a population and he/his troops ended up killing his family. Thanos wouldn't come down and little dirty work like that himself. Ronan leads his armies.

Hope you're wrong dude lol.

I'm calling it now: If we don't get any casting before November, Benicio del Toro is playing Thanos.

- The main villains of the film (Nebula, Ronan...) are all said to be doing their job for Thanos...

- Ronan was already confirmed to be the main villain. And yet, Feige and the rest have been suspiciously silent about The Collector...

- Clive Russell said he had shared a scene with Benicio del Toro (he implied it was in Thor: The Dark World). Makes sense for Thanos to be in Asgard in a Post-Credits Scene to either punish Loki or take the Gauntlet.

I'm calling it now: If we don't get any casting before November, Benicio del Toro is playing Thanos.

- The main villains of the film (Nebula, Ronan...) are all said to be doing their job for Thanos...

- Ronan was already confirmed to be the main villain. And yet, Feige and the rest have been suspiciously silent about The Collector...

- Clive Russell said he had shared a scene with Benicio del Toro (he implied it was in Thor: The Dark World). Makes sense for Thanos to be in Asgard in a Post-Credits Scene to either punish Loki or take the Gauntlet.

Wasn't he confirmed to be playing The Collecter? :dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"