Guillermo Del Toro to direct "Crimson Peak" (or not, you never know...)

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/gui...peak-as-next-feature-with-legendary-pictures/
Guillermo Del Toro To Helm ‘Crimson Peak’ As Next Feature, With Legendary Pictures
By MIKE FLEMING JR.

EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo del Toro has committed to make the ghost story Crimson Peak the next film he will direct. Even though del Toro set up that project originally from a script he wrote with frequent collaborator Matthew Robbins, he will make the film for Legendary Pictures, which backed his latest film, Pacific Rim. Legendary will produce with the expectation it will release through its deal with Warner Bros. Legendary will be a participating financing partner, with Universal retaining an option to come in as co-financier at a later date.

Del Toro will work through a rewrite with Lucinda Coxon and they will shoot for an early 2014 production start. That gives del Toro the time to complete press for Pacific Rim and to film the FX pilot for The Strain, the series based on the vampire novel series del Toro wrote with Chuck Hogan.

Del Toro tells me that Crimson Peak is best described as “a very set-oriented, classical but at the same time modern take on the ghost story. It will allow me to play with the conventions of the genre I know and love, and at the same time subvert the old rules.”

The main thing: Legendary will give him the resources he needs to honor what he calls the “grand dames” of the haunted house genre. “To me that is Robert Wise’s The Haunting, which was a big movie, beautifully directed, with the house built magnificently. And the other grand daddy is Jack Clayton’s The Innocents. I’ve always tried to make big-sized horror movies like the ones I grew up watching,” del Toro said. “Films like The Omen, The Exorcist and The Shining, the latter of which is another Mount Everest of the haunted house movie. I loved the way that Kubrick had such control over the big sets he used, and how much big production value there was. I think people are getting used to horror subjects done as found footage or B-value budgets. I wanted this to feel like a throwback.”

The project originally sold quietly as a spec script to Universal, where del Toro had his deal. “It was the first one I wrote after Pan’s Labyrinth, and I sold it to Donna Langley at Universal,” he said. “She loved it, I was going to direct it, and then Hellboy II happened, and then I was off to New Zealand for The Hobbit. Donna suggested I move aside and produce it. It went out to directors, but I didn’t quite like anyone for it. Finally I went through the experience of Pacific Rim with Warner Bros and Legendary, and it was the best experience I have ever had making a movie, period. I had a really good working relationship with Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni, and they asked what I wanted to do next. I sent them At The Mountains Of Madness, I sent them [The Count Of] Monte Cristo, another project I’ve tried to do for 20 years. I also sent Crimson Peak, but didn’t expect a reaction because it’s not a typical Legendary movie. Much to my surprise, Thomas Tull called 9:30 at night on the day I sent it and said, ‘I don’t know how it ends, but I am on page 45 and I love it.’ Next day, Jon Jashni called and said we think it’s the best project for us, just the right size.” Universal allowed him to move the project, with the caveat the studio can put up money for a stake in the film.

Don’t think for a moment that del Toro has given up his dreams for At The Mountains Of Madness, based on the HP Lovecraft horror classic that Universal unplugged late in the process even though del Toro had Tom Cruise poised to star and James Cameron poised to supervise 3D as producer. Del Toro hopes that Legendary will be part of that effort.

“They love it, but we just finished Pacific Rim,” he said. “They want to let that film happen [it opens July 12] and then my hope is, down the line we can do it. People ask how do i choose projects. All the projects in my roster are there because I love them, but the financing process is serendipity. And often, the ones I think will happen don’t, and the ones I think won’t happen, do.”

Screenwriter Coxon most recently adapted Michel Faber’s novel The Crimson Petal And The White for BBC. She’s repped by CAA and UK-based The Agency. Del Toro is managed by Gary Ungar and repped by WME.
Lets see if this one actually makes it into production...

This one I think seems very likely to happen as he has recently built a very strong relationship with Legendary and has spoken about wanting to do a far smaller film than Pacific Rim before ever considering going back for a second Pacific Rim. From what I've heard Legendary and WB love the way that film is coming out so they'll surely want him back on that in a few years and WB's been trying to float some other stuff his way. They'll want to maintain that relationship and if they can keep his interest by fronting the bill for a smaller film from him, which will likely turn at least a little profit, it seems likely that they'd do so. Much can change by 2014 though.

Last edited:
Guillermo Del Toro Is Making A Haunted House Movie!
HEY FOLKS, Harry here...

If this is based on a previous Haunted House script by Del Toro and Matthew Robbins... then folks, hold on to your bowels. I read that script over a decade ago and it was called HELL HOUSE. It was tremendous. It was a script that was never bought out right. Obviously the script would have to lose all of the "Hell House trappings" as that would necessitate making the movie with FOX. Instead, they're taking their characters and trappings which were scary. NORDLING seems to see this as a PG13... and having read that early script - it is possible, but the intensity of the scares might push it to R territory. Guillermo finally making his Haunted House SCARE flick is going to be a very good thing. I just want him to build the House in AUSTIN!

I wonder if he'll incorporate any of his haunted mansion ideas into this, or is that still happening?

Sounds awesome. But until cameras are rolling, I'm not buying it.

Now I have to see 'The Innocents' because of Del Toro.

By the way, I urge you all to watch 'The Haunting' by Robert Wise. Not the stupid remake but the original. It's timeless as hell!

Del Toro starts a lot of projects that don't come to fruition.

Insane. Haunted Mansion. He jumped off the Hobbit. Mountains of Madness didn't get the greenlight.

Quite frankly I almost sort of believe that Pacific Rim getting made at all is some sort of illusion we are being punked with.

As he says, he keeps a lot of things in the air so that he will always end up doing something. The Hobbit though took him away from many projects for a long time.

Yeah, I think this might be legit and he'll work on it. In fact, I think Legendary and WB wants to keep Del Toro so they'll probably fast track this film, and if Pac Rim does well, it's another incentive to keep Del Toro.

EW:
Charlie Hunnam is in talks to topline Crimson Peak, director Guillermo del Toro‘s follow-up to his upcoming film with the Sons of Anarchy star, this summer’s Pacific Rim. Emma Stone is also in talks to star in what’s being described as a haunted house film, though plot details are being kept hush hush. Del Toro and Lucinda Coxon (Wild Target) are re-writing the script Del Toro wrote with Matthew Robbins (Mimic, Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark).

Can't wait for more details on what Guillermo has planned for the story.

Yeah, actors being cast has actually given me hope that this will see the light of day.

Atmom had Tom cruise And James Cameron producing, it's been scientifically proven that the universe hates guillermo del toro for some strange reason.

GDT filming a haunted house movie has my attention. Yeah, actors being cast makes me think this really will be his next movie, and it being a haunted house movie directed by him sounds great. Can't wait to hear more.

I really hope there's some kind of character that would've been played by Vincent Price back in the day, like a creepy old caretaker, or a mad scientist or something. Played by Christopher Walken.

Benedict Cumberbatch Joins Del Toro’s ‘Crimson Peak’

Guillermo del Toro is assembling quite the guestlist for his haunted house thriller “Crimson Peak,” as Benedict Cumberbatch is set to star in the Legendary Pictures movie. Cumberbatch would join Emma Stone and Charlie Hunnam with del Toro helming.

Plot details are unknown as del Toro and Lucinda Coxon work through a rewrite on a script del Toro and Matthew Robins originally penned.

Legendary will produce and be a participating financing partner on the movie, with Universal Pictures retaining an option to finance at a later date. The film is set to begin shooting in February 2014.

The role marks another major part for Cumberbatch, whose schedule is packed of late.

Among his roles this year: “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “12 Years a Slave,” “August: Osage County” and “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.” He is currently filming “The Fifth Estate” where he will play Julian Assange. He’s also busy with TV work with the third season of “Sherlock” about to go into production and HBO’s “Parade’s End” which bowed in February.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/b...-del-toros-crimson-peak-exclusive-1200333091/

Jessica Chastain Boards del Toro’s ‘Crimson Peak’

Guillermo del Toro is finalizing the guest list for his haunted-house thriller “Crimson Peak” as Jessica Chastain is final negotiations to co-star in the Legendary Pictures movie.

She joins Benedict Cumberbatch, Emma Stone and Charlie Hunnam with Guillermo del Toro set to direct. Plot details are unknown at this time as del Toro and Lucinda Coxon work through a rewrite on a script del Toro and Matthew Robins originally penned.

Legendary will produce and be a participating financing partner on the movie, with Universal Pictures retaining an option to finance at a later date. The film is set to begin shooting in February 2014.

“Crimson Peak” will reteam Chastain with del Toro, who exec produced the horror film “Mama,” in which she starred.

Since receiving an Oscar nomination for her perf in Sony’s “Zero Dark Thirty,” the only other project Chastain had committed to was the adaptation of “Miss Julie.”

She had been weighing other projects, including the role of Jane in “Tarzan.” “Tarzan” could still work out, but parts of the deal are still in play.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/jessica-chastain-crimson-peak-1200333509/

La Chastain?! I approve. :awesome:

Incredibly interesting and great cast so far. Chastain, Cumberbatch and Stone in a haunted house? Love it!

Looking forward to seeing this movie in 2018 :D .

Eh, he's got multiple cast members in place, I think GDT might actually be serious about this one...

This is very much a matter of WB flipping the bill to keep GDT in house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"