Halloween Remake Thread... - Part 1

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate the Elm Street remake. They got absolutely nothing right. It's amazing, in way.

I didn't mind the TCM remake, tbh.
Sorry double post, I know.

I'm mostly in agreeance on the Elm Street remake. I actually love dit at first, but one thing that bothers me is that the film really limited itself. That breaks into a whole lot of problems, but for one, Freddy was stalking kids from a daycare that all lived on Elm Street...or around Elm Street...well for sure Nancy and Dekker's characters lived there. Another, I know we've all speculated he was a molester in the original series, but I don't feel that Freddy as a deranged molester at a daycare gives him enough reason to come back as a serial killer. In the original series it was well established he was evil and he had been murdering children. His rage and bloodlust were so great that the power to return in dreams was given to him. Remake Freddy just doesn't cut it for me.

I will at least give some credit to Jackie Earle Haley, though. Despite not caring for the film, he wasn't a terrible Freddy, although I don't feel he could ever live up to the legacy Englund built, but he was cast into such a terrible film.

Also, I too enjoy the TCM remake. The prequel I can take or leave, and I thought they wrote themselves into a corner by taking off Leatherface's arm, but overall I like dit, and given the family changed so much through each sequel, could almost have envisioned it as a sequel to the original taking place not long after it happened.

Agreed on everything you said about TCM.

As for Haley, he's an amazing actor, so I blame the script and direction. I mean, agreed on what you said about his lack of evilness and bloodlust and stuff, but the biggest crime here, imo, is the inconsistency: In the old ones Freddy's playful as well as 100% evil and sadistic. His cheesy one-liners work very well within the context of the movie(s) and how he's presented. Here they made him more "realistic" aka they toned him down (which I'm not inherently against) to make him appear more menacing in a serious way and then... they still give him cheesy one-liners. Which, of course, make the character look SO damn ridiculous.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate the Elm Street remake. They got absolutely nothing right. It's amazing, in way.

Oh, I agree. They totally botched Freddy's entire backstory. And none of the main characters were really all that likeable. But I'm talking about the movie's ability to build suspense, to give the audience a sense of dread, to provide the audience with legitimate scares. That part they did very well. I felt JEH did an admirable job as Freddy. He had some big shoes to fill, and he did so quite well. I didn't even mind them changing the burn make-up to be more 'realistic' looking. But for God sakes don't change the main character's origins! That's just wrong!

i forgot because the movie was boring. what did they change? he didnt kill the kids?

IIRC he "just" molested them. And he was never arrested and let free, the parents immediately chased him down and burned him alive.

I was rewatching the house of wax remake on saturday night and Its quite good for a horror remake and even though paris hilton was in it they were smart to limit her role. The deaths scenes were all good and the ending actually made sense.

Wait, PH are doing a Halloween remake now? I know RZ was not supposed to be involved in H3, rumor was that it would feature Laurie in a mental ward but nothing beyond that was said, most figured she would be the killer this time but it was never confirmed.

Check out Page 1 of this thread (that is the continuation, not the original thread). Someone had posted a link to a movie news website stating that Platinum Dunes will be making their own remake of John Carpenter's Halloween. That's what sparked the renewed interest in this topic.

I was rewatching the house of wax remake on saturday night and Its quite good for a horror remake and even though paris hilton was in it they were smart to limit her role. The deaths scenes were all good and the ending actually made sense.

Ya, I enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised that Hilton was in it less than I expected.

Best part of that entire movie was Paris Hilton's death scene. Honestly, who hasn't fantasized about impailing Paris's face with a pole?

Best part of that entire movie was Paris Hilton's death scene. Honestly, who hasn't fantasized about impailing Paris's face with a pole?
Some people might take that the wrong way :awesome:

Never sat through House of Wax, mostly due to her involvment. May have to give it a shot after all though.

Some people might take that the wrong way :awesome:

Never sat through House of Wax, mostly due to her involvment. May have to give it a shot after all though.

That's the whole point of using a double entendre. ;-)

Here's a link to the Halloween Pitch Animatic on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZECC-f1CKU

I've finally watched it myself. It's pretty good. A more violent take on MM's escape from Smith's Grove than John Carpenter's, but less gratuitous (and scarier) than Rob Zombie's version.

I liked how The Shape was about to slash the lady cop's throat, then changes his mind and forces her to watch her brother bleed out before twisting her head all the way around. Just shows exactly how f**king evil MM really is.

That's the whole point of using a double entendre. ;-)
I was being obvious :oldrazz:

I did love the animatic, but I just don't feel like we need another Halloween so soon. I mean I didn't think H3 was scrapped yet, although I'd rather not add another sequel into the series RZ started. Still, I really wish they'd go back and make a decent original series sequel. As hard as it sounds, I want a FINAL film, maybe using Laurie's son as the final Myers blood relative, who maybe even tracks Michael to avenge his mom's death.
That or I could ignore Resurrection and just pretend the series ends at H20. That could work.

I was being obvious :oldrazz:

I did love the animatic, but I just don't feel like we need another Halloween so soon. I mean I didn't think H3 was scrapped yet, although I'd rather not add another sequel into the series RZ started. Still, I really wish they'd go back and make a decent original series sequel. As hard as it sounds, I want a FINAL film, maybe using Laurie's son as the final Myers blood relative, who maybe even tracks Michael to avenge his mom's death.
That or I could ignore Resurrection and just pretend the series ends at H20. That could work.

That's what I do, and it works pretty well for me.

That's what I do, and it works pretty well for me.

Looking back h20 really should have been halloween 3 and that should have been the end for the series. the rest never should have been made.

Here's a link to the Halloween Pitch Animatic on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZECC-f1CKU

I've finally watched it myself. It's pretty good. A more violent take on MM's escape from Smith's Grove than John Carpenter's, but less gratuitous (and scarier) than Rob Zombie's version.

I liked how The Shape was about to slash the lady cop's throat, then changes his mind and forces her to watch her brother bleed out before twisting her head all the way around. Just shows exactly how f**king evil MM really is.

Wow, that's amazing!

That animatic scene was good but would probably be ruined by crap actors and a crap director.

Looking back h20 really should have been halloween 3 and that should have been the end for the series. the rest never should have been made.

I absolutely agree 100%. That's why the only movies from the Halloween Franchise I own on DVD are Parts 1, 2, and H20. I ignore all the others. If they don't star Jamie Lee Curtis (or if she doesn't survive the first 15 minutes of the movie), I'm not interested.

That animatic scene was good but would probably be ruined by crap actors and a crap director.

For such a small role, you don't necessarily need great actors, just competent actors. As for the director, if they stick to the way the animatic was done, they should do okay.

Besides, I believe the animatic was done by someone who's pitching not just the idea of another Halloween reboot, but of being the director for said reboot. So if this film does get made, it would be the guy who made the animatic directing it, not some over rated hack like Rob Zombie.

As for casting, I'd give the role of Dr. Sam Loomis to Patrick Stewart. I don't know who I'd cast as Laurie Strode yet, but whoever it is will have to be a better actress than the last Laurie Strode we got. I'd also write her as more of a bookworm who just doesn't have time for boys, rather than RZ's ****ty white trash version who has sex with bagels.

As for who to play The Shape, I'd go with someone big and strong, yet graceful. Thus you'd get the graceful moving Shape from the original (the guy who played him was a dancer), but his acts of superhuman strength are somewhat more believable. I'd also recreate the scene from the original, where Laurie pulls off The Shape's mask and he stops strangling her for a moment to put it back on. We get to see his face for a moment, and he's just a normal, relatively good looking guy. I know someone said "no wrestlers" for the role of MM/The Shape, but how about Adam "Edge" Copeland? He's big (about 6'5"), athletic (not as bulked up as he was when he was wrestling, but still in pretty good shape), and due to his high flying wrestling style, very graceful. He's also acted in several movies and TV shows, and is a pretty good looking guy. All in all, not a bad choice. And you can't tell me he'd botch his lines or deliver them poorly, because MM has no lines.

Edit: My choice for the role of Sheriff Brackett? Gary Senice. (Spelling?)

Last edited:
I absolutely agree 100%. That's why the only movies from the Halloween Franchise I own on DVD are Parts 1, 2, and H20. I ignore all the others. If they don't star Jamie Lee Curtis (or if she doesn't survive the first 15 minutes of the movie), I'm not interested.

Occasionally I'll be curious about 4, 5, and 6, but when I see comments like this, I'm glad that I've only seen the first, second, third, and seventh (H20) Halloween movies. I've been comfortable with keeping it that way, and I will.

And I only saw the third out of curiosity. It was curious indeed.

Last edited:
Occasionally I'll be curious about 4, 5, and 6, but when I see comments like this, I'm glad that I've only seen the first, second, third, and seventh (H20) Halloween movies. I've been comfortable with keeping it that way, and I will.

And I only saw the third out of curiosity. It was curious indeed.

Yeah, 4, 5, and 6 weren't very good IMO. They sacrificed suspence for higher bodycounts and bloodier death scenes. Plus that ******ed "Cult Of The Thorn" story they came up with in order to explain MM's evil. Plus you kinda have to ignore them anyway if you're gonna consider H20 a part of the same timeline/universe.

In Part 4 MM returns to Haddenfield because he hears that Laurie Strode had a daughter who's living with relatives there. So he goes there to kill her, and anyone who gets in his way. But in H20, Laurie Strode faked her death and went into hiding. What the hell kind of mother fakes her death to escape from her homicidal brother, but leaves her young daughter behind to be stalked and killed by said brother? If you consider parts 4 & H20 part of the same story, then that's one heartless b**ch of a mother Jamie Lee Curtis turned into.

Oh, I agree. They totally botched Freddy's entire backstory. And none of the main characters were really all that likeable. But I'm talking about the movie's ability to build suspense, to give the audience a sense of dread, to provide the audience with legitimate scares. That part they did very well. I felt JEH did an admirable job as Freddy. He had some big shoes to fill, and he did so quite well. I didn't even mind them changing the burn make-up to be more 'realistic' looking. But for God sakes don't change the main character's origins! That's just wrong!

I think NOES was the worst of the horror remakes (H>F13>TCM > NOES). The crazy part though is it starred Rooney Mara!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"