Halloween Movies Thread... - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resurrection dated itself terribly too. "Can you kids believe this thing called reality television????" Yeah, we know. We're about a dozen spinoffs deep on rich housewives throwing drinks at eachother. You're not demonstrating anything here. :o

Resurrection's mask looks like it was based off of busta rhymes

The mask is arguably the only decent part of the whole thing.

Resurrection was obviously written by people who don't know a thing about technology, and was way behind the curve. Reality TV started to boom in 2000 with Surivior so the movie is 2 years outdated already.

And the scenes of the kids typing out their emails was painful and weird to watch. E-mails were new but not that brand new.

People often bring up the cops in part V. Though I'm not here to argue the merits of the inclusion of those scenes - I do feel that one has to put them into perspective, in that they're nothing more than a homage to The Last House on the Left. Whether they're as effective in breaking up the air of dread or tension in this film - or serve as much to juxtapose the more poorly projected sense of direness, against the authorities, as well herein implied, complacency and generational inability to understand the dangers implied to be inherent in a modern society - is perhaps up for question.

Last edited:
The problem with Resurrection was that it thought it was more savvy & intelligent than it actually was. Plus, Rick Rosenthal was directing. And as I've iterated before, unlike with HII Carpenter wasn't around to fix his mistakes. Ergo, one of the worst entries of the series.

But, I'd still take watching HR over H5, for what it's worth.

My problem with both H20 and Resurrection in terms of mask was way too much eye showing. Not the biggest problem in HR, but it doesn't help.

Personally I prefer H5 to resurrection. Ressurectuon is just too mtv for my tastes. H5 is dumb but enjoyable in the way alot of old slashers are. Im such a huge fan that I like pretty much every single mask but rob zombies though(besides the clean one at least).

One problem for me with H20 was the many masks it used. In the beginning of the film it used the H6 mask (im fine with that considering I love that mask). But then later on it changes again and then let's not forget the one scene with the painfully horrible CGI mask. Dreadful.

Personally I prefer H5 to resurrection. Ressurectuon is just too mtv for my tastes. H5 is dumb but enjoyable in the way alot of old slashers are. Im such a huge fan that I like pretty much every single mask but rob zombies though(besides the clean one at least).

The clean Zombie mask was beautiful I agree.

If I remember correctly from the 25 Years of Terror documentary the original story for H20 would've tied together all of the sequels, but I could be wrong. Resurrection was an opportunity to deliver something cool, but after the "death of Laurie" sendoff in the beginning the movie turns into Michael randomly stalking a bunch of losers in the house. Literally required no thought, and there wasn't an ounce of suspense. It was also cheaply made. I assumed there would be more sequels. Strangely, I've only seen it once, but distinctly remember the ending.

If I remember correctly from the 25 Years of Terror documentary the original story for H20 would've tied together all of the sequels, but I could be wrong.

You're right.

Originally, Halloween 7: The Revenge of Laurie Strode was to be tied to the previous movies, discounting H3 for obvious reasons. There was to be a scene where, in Laurie's class, a student talked about the Haddonfield murders including the death of Jamie Lloyd. The details of her daughter's death force Laurie run out of the room so she could throw up.

I guess, and for good reason, given where the films had gotten and why there was a lack of interest continuing that, they decided to pull a soft reboot (before those terms existed) and ignore 4-6, and make H20 a sequel to I-II only.

Kind of for the best. Seeing as the whole plot of H20 is her stressing over her son's safety, there's no scenario where you can keep 4-6 canon and not have her look like the biggest a**hole on earth.

Exactly. Connecting H20 to H4-H6 makes Laurie a bigger monster than Michael because it means she sacrificed one child for the other.

Still, I don't understand why they went with a decapitation ending for H20 when they knew full well even while they were filming that they'd be making another installment.

Exactly. Connecting H20 to H4-H6 makes Laurie a bigger monster than Michael because it means she sacrificed one child for the other.

Still, I don't understand why they went with a decapitation ending for H20 when they knew full well even while they were filming that they'd be making another installment.

I know, yet H20's ending was the best satisfying ending and conclusion to any of the films.

Sucked that the next film, the one we like to believe doesn't exist, retconned it. At least since that move doesn't exist, the ending was retconned at all. ;)

I wouldn't go that far. If you go with the idea that she did it soon after then you could say that her fear that Michael was still alive and might come after her again drove her to give Jamie up for adoption hoping that Michael would come after her and never discover Jamie. It's the hardest thing she'd ever done at that point, but she does it to keep Jamie safe. Giving up Jamie was so hard for Laurie that she can't bear to do it again so she decides to keep John and hope for the best.

I wouldn't go that far. If you go with the idea that she did it soon after then you could say that her fear that Michael was still alive and might come after her again drove her to give Jamie up for adoption hoping that Michael would come after her and never discover Jamie. It's the hardest thing she'd ever done at that point, but she does it to keep Jamie safe. Giving up Jamie was so hard for Laurie that she can't bear to do it again so she decides to keep John and hope for the best.

I don't think you could believably do it even then, because I believe Laurie would've come back for the child she gave up if she knew Michael was alive and stalking her. H20 doesn't go out of it's way, but besides still implying Loomis survived the explosion, it more or less makes it seem like Michael hasn't been seen since 1978.

Resurrection would've at least worked for me a bit more if we'd gotten to find out something about Laurie's son. In a franchise that quickly made it about family, John seems like a loose end for Michael.

I know, yet H20's ending was the best satisfying ending and conclusion to any of the films.

I'm just going to pretend that this is how it ended.

unrelated but I'm always caught off guard by Joseph Gordon-Levitt showing up at the beginning. like I keep forgetting how the movie starts far away from the private school.

One problem for me with H20 was the many masks it used. In the beginning of the film it used the H6 mask (im fine with that considering I love that mask). But then later on it changes again and then let's not forget the one scene with the painfully horrible CGI mask. Dreadful.

Yeah that was a problem, I don't even mind the mask they settled on for the finale. Tbh I blame Steve Miner really he had the weird idea that it's just a blank slate which is the awful mask you can see snippets of in the chase through the gate scene. They do cut to a different mask for the close up through the door though. What should have happened on that movie from the start was someone should have picked the correct or close to correct mask.

I don't think you could believably do it even then, because I believe Laurie would've come back for the child she gave up if she knew Michael was alive and stalking her. H20 doesn't go out of it's way, but besides still implying Loomis survived the explosion, it more or less makes it seem like Michael hasn't been seen since 1978.

I agree. Laurie would never abandon a child, whether she thought Michael was still alive or not. She thought he was still alive in H20, but she didn't abandon her son.

Also H20 clearly states Michael has not been seen since 1978. The Cops at the beginning say his body was never found 20 years ago. And Laurie's son says Michael's dead because she watched him burn.

Because they focused on that movie being good so they used a good ending. A filmmaker shouldn't have to worry about what happens in the next film. Throw in the kitchen sink.

I'm sure we've all seen the documentaries on Halloween. Moustapha Akkad was never going to kill off Michael Myers, despite what the directors did.

Even at the end of Resurrection the f****r is still alive!

The resurrection was always planned even during the H20 filming and they filmed that part of it on the H20 set. It's a shame reboots weren't the rage abit sooner where Halloween was concerned as they probably would have accepted H20s ending and then rebooted later. Plus if they'd done it at a different time we may never have had to suffer Rob Zombie tainting the franchise.

I think if Moustapha Akkad had lived he wouldn't have let Zombie take over personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"