Halloween Movies Thread... - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too think Akkad would've kept going instead of doing a reboot. Part of me thinks Zombie was an attempt to start over, leaving the original series to his father's legacy, and a new series for Malek Akkad to produce. However, we all know how that turned out.

To me, unless they go back to the original series, and find a compelling way to end things with Laurie's son coming back, I'll always stick with H20 as the ending. Resurrection exists as a what-if, but between not being generally well done, and also ending the main plot thread within 15 minutes, only for it to be like "Well, evil is going home. And he's basically only killing now because people are trespassing in his house.", it's not something I acknowledge much. I'm sort of reserved to even with a Carpenter-produced and scored film potentially in the pipeline, Halloween is pretty well used up, unless we go back to another sequel that ignores everything but the original, and drops the sister plot threads and such. Just a film where Michael is pure evil, stalking people on Halloween because he's evil.

Thing is I think we can see now that you can sort of reboot without having to reboot. It's possible to make a fresh film in a franchise withou it been a remake or an origin story. I think this is the approach the next Halloween film will most likely take.

TheDreamMaster I'm with you when I see H20 as the ending of the franchise. Always have felt like Halloween, Halloween II and Halloween H20 are a near perfect trilogy. I just wish H20 had more of the classic score, Dean Cundey style lighting and that mask issue sorted then I think it would be perfect.

I agree. Laurie would never abandon a child, whether she thought Michael was still alive or not. She thought he was still alive in H20, but she didn't abandon her son.

Also H20 clearly states Michael has not been seen since 1978. The Cops at the beginning say his body was never found 20 years ago. And Laurie's son says Michael's dead because she watched him burn.

It's strongly implied in H20 that Michael is thought to have died twenty years earlier, but it's never stated - I think the writers do this on purpose to leave it open for interpretation.

It's strongly implied in H20 that Michael is thought to have died twenty years earlier, but it's never stated - I think the writers do this on purpose to leave it open for interpretation.

Cop 1: "You don't think Michael Myers..."
Cop 2: "They never found his body"
Cop 1: "Yeah but that was like 20 years ago"

John: "He's dead. Michael Myers is dead"
Laurie: "What do you want me to say?"
John: "That its over. That we should try to attempt some kind of happy existence, Mom. Because all this s*** that's going on in your head is leaking out on me and I can't take it any more. You told me yourself you watched him burn"

I don't think there's much room for interpretation. Its clearly stated that the belief is Michael died 20 years ago.

I had a dream I was part of a small team making a new Halloween movie. I operated the camera. Our director was really good. She instructed our "Michael" to move in a certain way, emote through his body. I started to believe that when our actor put on a mask, he really became Michael. Then I quit, because I knew the dream was going to turn into nightmare at any moment. :D

Here are some really good Halloween fan films done by Blinky Productions. Some of them could even be fleshed out into full length feature films if the copyright holders would allow it (sadly they most likely won't because they're too stubborn to work together for mutual gain).

Myers: Rise Of The Boogeyman
[YT]he78J6PFoSE[/YT]

Friday The 31st
[YT]mjGijTpwVSg[/YT]

The Nightmare Ends On Halloween (Part 1)
[YT]XArnOBQqweA[/YT]

The Nightmare Ends On Halloween (Part 2)
[YT]jOa817h94YY[/YT]

Blink Productions are awesome I really think Hollywood would be better off giving money to them rather than wasting it on people like Rob Zombie.

Call me cynical but I have a feeling Blink Productions are only good in the short film format. I also have a distain for fan films, maybe out of the 100's only a few are actually good.

I just had a Halloween marathon over the past week. Did anyone think part of Halloween 5 felt like a Friday the 13th movie? There was a party in a cabin and kills in the barn. Just felt like a F13 movie.

H5 was just plain awful.

How many approvals did that mask go through before making it on-screen? I sometimes wonder if Donald Pleasance mentioned it.

"Hey, Director Domenqieuths Othero-Ortho-Othensinn Gierard Geraldo, who is this guy in the bird mask? I thought this was a Halloween movie!?"

The only, and I mean only, somewhat interesting scene was MM chasing Jamie in the Myers house after he stabbed Loomis and threw him off the stairs.

Otherwise the list of head shakers is long:

- Thorn
- Man in Black
- Goofy Cops
- Characters that needed to die quickly
- The Victorian Myers House
- The stuttering b/f of Jamie
- The Fonz
- Cop who couldn't shoot the big killer (MM) breaking through the door.
- The hermit who "housed" MM for a year
- Teary-eyed MM

Do I need to go on?

Man, this one stunk.

I just had a Halloween marathon over the past week. Did anyone think part of Halloween 5 felt like a Friday the 13th movie? There was a party in a cabin and kills in the barn. Just felt like a F13 movie.

Possibly. The stabbing of the blonde guy with the pitchfork while he was having a good time reminded me of F13. One of the better scenes. You can barely make out MM under the barn lighting.

You can add me to the group advocating the film makers to keep the next installment simple. Get a new group of kids and let the Shape loose.

H5 was just plain awful.

How many approvals did that mask go through before making it on-screen? I sometimes wonder if Donald Pleasance mentioned it.

"Hey, Director Domenqieuths Othero-Ortho-Othensinn Gierard Geraldo, who is this guy in the bird mask? I thought this was a Halloween movie!?"

The only, and I mean only, somewhat interesting scene was MM chasing Jamie in the Myers house after he stabbed Loomis and threw him off the stairs.

Otherwise the list of head shakers is long:

- Thorn
- Man in Black
- Goofy Cops
- Characters that needed to die quickly
- The Victorian Myers House
- The stuttering b/f of Jamie
- The Fonz
- Cop who couldn't shoot the big killer (MM) breaking through the door.
- The hermit who "housed" MM for a year
- Teary-eyed MM

Do I need to go on?

Man, this one stunk.

Yep, H5 is a heap of s***. Add the psychic link between Michael and Jamie to the list of stupidities.

Last edited:
I think I remember reading something about them having to distance themselves from the shatner design or anything even close to it to not get sued for H5 which is why the mask is so different.

The resurrection was always planned even during the H20 filming and they filmed that part of it on the H20 set. It's a shame reboots weren't the rage abit sooner where Halloween was concerned as they probably would have accepted H20s ending and then rebooted later. Plus if they'd done it at a different time we may never have had to suffer Rob Zombie tainting the franchise.

I think if Moustapha Akkad had lived he wouldn't have let Zombie take over personally.

Personally, aside from the many problems I have with Halloween: Resurrection, I don't have a huge problem with the way they brought Michael back for that film, with retcon of Laurie having accidentally killed someone else instead of Michael. Of all the ways that he has been killed and "resurrected" over the years, I'd say that this is among the least ridiculous and most "realistic" methods of bringing him back -- one that actually showed Michael to be cunning and crafty in escaping, as opposed to the usual scenario of Michael being shot/stabbed/beaten into submission before magically disappearing as the movie ends. It's also somewhat interesting because all signs pointed to Michael's head being chopped off when H20 ends, and we didn't find out what really happened until the start of the next film.

Should the series have just ended with H20? Yeah, I think most fans would agree with that, especially considering what we wound up getting with HR. However, I was never completely opposed to the idea of a sequel to H20 and I think there could have been a more interesting and satisfying way to follow up the events of H20 compared to the sequel we actually wound up getting -- especially if here was a better concept and script that would have enticed Jamie Lee Curtis (and also Josh Hartnett) to be more involved.

I actually like the concept of Laurie Strode being institutionalized for killing the wrong man, seemingly having lost her mind, and Michael coming after her at the asylum to finish her off. The problem with HR is that they rushed to cap off that storyline within the first 10 minutes of the movie (which still sucked), before launching into the random, pointless, and silly storyline that filled out the rest of the film.

Totally but unfortunately it's like a bad Friday the 13th movie.

Personally, aside from the many problems I have with Halloween: Resurrection, I don't have a huge problem with the way they brought Michael back for that film, with retcon of Laurie having accidentally killed someone else instead of Michael. Of all the ways that he has been killed and "resurrected" over the years, I'd say that this is among the least ridiculous and most "realistic" methods of bringing him back -- one that actually showed Michael to be cunning and crafty in escaping, as opposed to the usual scenario of Michael being shot/stabbed/beaten into submission before magically disappearing as the movie ends. It's also somewhat interesting because all signs pointed to Michael's head being chopped off when H20 ends, and we didn't find out what really happened until the start of the next film.

Should the series have just ended with H20? Yeah, I think most fans would agree with that, especially considering what we wound up getting with HR. However, I was never completely opposed to the idea of a sequel to H20 and I think there could have been a more interesting and satisfying way to follow up the events of H20 compared to the sequel we actually wound up getting -- especially if here was a better concept and script that would have enticed Jamie Lee Curtis (and also Josh Hartnett) to be more involved.

I actually like the concept of Laurie Strode being institutionalized for killing the wrong man, seemingly having lost her mind, and Michael coming after her at the asylum to finish her off. The problem with HR is that they rushed to cap off that storyline within the first 10 minutes of the movie (which still sucked), before launching into the random, pointless, and silly storyline that filled out the rest of the film.

It's a silky retcon but tbh these films are full of them. I have no problem with H:R existing it's just H20 was a damn near perfect ending to the series.

Yep, H5 is a heap of s***. Add the psychic link between Michael and Jamie to the list of stupidities.

Totally forgot about that. Thanks for bringing it up.

That great scene of Dr. Loomis going ape at the Haddonfield School of Psychics, Pirate Stutterers, and Living Relatives of Michael Myers. "Jamie please!! Use these markers to write the GPS coordinates of Uncle Mike and Max"

If I could jump in your conversation...

I totally agree about the first 10 minutes of H:R. I thought it was well put together on how MM was able to switch with the coroner officer. Did I think he could've pulled that off with the number of people around? Probably not, but at least it was somewhat realistic.

I was actually entertained during that first 10 minutes even with the campy officers. I liked that we didn't need explanation of how MM just arrived at the mental facility. After the credits rolled, however, the insanity began.

I would like it if they made a film version of the novelization to the 1978 film. Which was different in that, sure they fixed some things, but they also expanded on Michael and the nature of what he was, why he went after Laurie, and none of it was based on her being his sister. Its enough that I wish the remake would've taken that route, and created a creepy incarnation of Michael Myers that still connected to what Carpenter envisioned. Same with Laurie.

Also, with the ideas the novel brought up, makes it possible to even use what Carpenter had in mind for his version of Halloween 4.

Call me cynical but I have a feeling Blinky Productions are only good in the short film format. I also have a distain for fan films, maybe out of the 100's only a few are actually good.

And those few are produced by Blinky Productions.

As for him only being good in a short film format, most film makers began their careers making short films. If you were to edit all of Blinky Productions' short Elm Street Prequels into a single film you'd have a pretty decent little movie that's maybe an hour long. It really just needs a few more scenes to make the story flow more smoothly and fill it out to feature length.

Here's the 'Halloween' DLC for the game Dead by Daylight. They did something right: It's based on Carpenter's version, and you can't see his eyes!

[YT]wurx7dP2zok[/YT]

https://youtu.be/wurx7dP2zok

I would like it if they made a film version of the novelization to the 1978 film. Which was different in that, sure they fixed some things, but they also expanded on Michael and the nature of what he was, why he went after Laurie, and none of it was based on her being his sister. Its enough that I wish the remake would've taken that route, and created a creepy incarnation of Michael Myers that still connected to what Carpenter envisioned. Same with Laurie.

Also, with the ideas the novel brought up, makes it possible to even use what Carpenter had in mind for his version of Halloween 4.

But that's what you don't want, the original works so well because it doesn't tell you too much and it's simple. It seems only the producers and filmmakers want to delve into the how's and whys of Myers.

I've also read his idea for that version Halloween 4 and while it would have been interesting it wasn't the way to go. Halloween 4 as it is is good, maybe they could have done for that H5 instead given how poor that was.

I've been thinking, we got that recent non update that nothing is really happening right now with the new Halloween but could it have just been so they could save some news for October 31st? I mean what better day to announce a director or something than the actual day itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"