Solo Han Solo Movie Box office Thread - Part 1

Is it shocking?

Star Wars simply is not a thing in China. No one really cares about it. Didn't the three other films bomb there too?

I lived in China for several years and meet one person (out of a few thousand that I meet) who had seen the movies - no one else had either heard of them or were even familiar with the most iconic images like Vader.

TFA did $124.2m.

R1 - $69.5m

TLJ - $42.6m

Solo to date - $16.5m

Is it shocking?

Star Wars simply is not a thing in China. No one really cares about it. Didn't the three other films bomb there too?

I lived in China for several years and meet one person (out of a few thousand that I meet) who had seen the movies - no one else had either heard of them or were even familiar with the most iconic images like Vader.
The point isn't merely that Solo did poorly in China. It did but the degree was shocking even with the record of SW movies there. For Mexico, a country with less than 10% of China's population and a fraction of the wealth to be a bigger market for any movie than China was for Solo is the perspective part.

With a new set of films there was an opportunity to break into new territories and TFA's gross was promising, but it looks like that chance is gone now with such sharp declines since.

With a new set of films there was an opportunity to break into new territories and TFA's gross was promising, but it looks like that chance is gone now with such sharp declines since.
I think that's right. The disinterest of Chinese audiences was not a foregone conclusion. TFA did alright in China. There seems to have been an opening there in 2015. Certainly a fair number of Chinese movie goers were willing to give it a try. But that window seems to have closed pretty sharply. The warning shot was the drop for RO despite the inclusion of some big Chinese names in the cast.

Is it shocking?

As far as i remember the originals were not realsed in China in the 70s and 80s but much later. And they never became that cultural phenomenon they were in the West. There is hardly any nostalgia for Star Wars in China.

I think that's right. The disinterest of Chinese audiences was not a foregone conclusion. TFA did alright in China. There seems to have been an opening there in 2015. Certainly a fair number of Chinese movie goers were willing to give it a try. But that window seems to have closed pretty sharply. The warning shot was the drop for RO despite the inclusion of some big Chinese names in the cast.
Yeah and it's not just China that is disappearing unfortunately. Australia, France, Germany and the U.K. are the only movies outside of China to break $10m for Solo so far. Spain is the 6th highest with only $6.4m to date. South Korea has gone from $24m (TFA) to $7.5m (RO), to $7.9m (TLJ), to $1.8m to date for Solo.

For comparisons, the December holiday boosts for the previous 3 SW movies are over and for Solo, people have been graduating and for the rest schools are increasingly out for the summer.

bKB3Ka4.png

NAXvSDb.png

(If Solo makes a hair under $211M domestic or more, it will hit 90% in 24 days or more)

People will fault Solo when it was TLJ's fault.

So this coming under the Independence Day sequel is pretty much a lock?

So this coming under the Independence Day sequel is pretty much a lock?

I find it funnier that its coming in domestically under The Empire Strikes Back's original unadjusted 1980 gross($209 million). Man TLJ sure did a number on the franchise.

I mean, Rogue One didn't have a lot of star power either... but it was coming off TFA and, as such, still made a billion.

Solo is above the first domestic run (without counting re-releases) unadjusted for The Empire Strikes Back ($181.4M) and will likely be above the first re-release cume ($209.4M).

eGs3j7f.png

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/colum...nship/force-defeated-empire-strikes-back-35th

Besting the original 1980s run of Empire is a NOT a metric of success.

Justice League and the Amazing Spider Man 2 - critically panned and disliked by the majority of moviegoers also belong in this club. Does it mean they are superior movies to The Empire Strikes Back? HELL NO!

The true metric of success is: ‘Did audiences love it?’ and for the studios and especially this thread, ‘did it make a profit?’ It is going to lose Disney over $200 million dollars or more. Solo was a fail because the story was mediocre the movie was mediocre and the trailers were sub mediocre. TLJ did not help but Solo did not help itself. You cannot blame the marketing or any other reason.

Star Wars episode 9 will do much better because we have a very capable story teller at the helm who will honour the legacy of the OT. Depending on the trailer I will indeed show up on opening night to show my support for JJ Abrams and because he respects the franchise its characters and the fans.

May Solo continue to be a dumpster fire limping it’s way to a sub par final domestic total of $208-218 million dollars in box office HELL!

Despite my vitriol, I will still watch Solo when it comes to Netflix XD

At this point SW9 just needs to make sure it hits at least a billion, we'll go from there.

Pretty much. And given it's Abrams and by its very nature it'll probably be more of an optimistic good-beats-bad crowd-pleaser than TLJ, there's absolutely no reason to think it won't do better than VIII.

There's plenty of reason to think Episode 9 won't do better than The Last Jedi my friend. Episode 9 being more of a crowd pleaser does not guarantee a bigger box office than The Last Jedi.

JJ just needs to follow one simple principle in making Ep9:

giphy.gif

No more "subverting expectations" or any of that BS that Rian pulled.

Empire "subverted expectations". You didn't give a **** then.

The guy that created the original film loved TLJ. You're talking out of your ass here.

I am saying Kershner worked closely with Lucas on ESB, as a follow on from New Hope to ESB, there was no link up communication between JJ & RJ and it shows. That's what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"