Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which deceased father would you prefer for Clark to encounter in that matter? Jonathan Kent or Jor-el?

Well, we were talking about the scene in BvS between Jonathan and Clark in terms of its execution, so I was referencing Moana and The Lion King to illustrate that the concept of a child talking to some manifestation of a deceased relative for encouragement at a low point is somewhat of a cliche and pretty easily understood even in kids' films despite it also being a feature of Hamlet -- a play Terrio clearly was inspired by in his writing of the BvS script. That said, if I were to choose who Clark interacted with as a spirit on the path to resurrection, I'd prefer neither Jonathan nor Jor-El. My preference would be for Lara to be there for her son.

Well, in that case it would be the other way around, with BvS reminding me of The Lion King since I saw the latter one first and it just happens to be one of the best movies ever :ilv::ilv:

But honestly, even to this day, every time I watch BvS I get completely immersed and don't really think about anything else, which is something I cannot really say about most movies/shows, so that's another thing I appreciate about these movies.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that The Lion King answered the question of "How could you possibly improve Hamlet?" - "With lions, DUH!!" :D

Gotcha. I think I was especially inspired to think of parallels during that scene because it reminded me so strongly of a similar scene not just in The Lion King, but more recently on Smallville during its Season 10 premiere "Lazarus."

[YT]kwPl8XIAUrI[/YT]

It also echoes the idea of Clark speaking to Jor-El at his Fortress of Solitude. Taken together, it was a really special scene to me.

You know what we need from Superman when he comes back, we need this.

PjMUCGD.png

You dare to mention this abomination?

[YT]7Q-caImkViE[/YT]

Well, we were talking about the scene in BvS between Jonathan and Clark in terms of its execution, so I was referencing Moana and The Lion King to illustrate that the concept of a child talking to some manifestation of a deceased relative for encouragement at a low point is somewhat of a cliche and pretty easily understood even in kids' films despite it also being a feature of Hamlet -- a play Terrio clearly was inspired by in his writing of the BvS script. That said, if I were to choose who Clark interacted with as a spirit on the path to resurrection, I'd prefer neither Jonathan nor Jor-El. My preference would be for Lara to be there for her son.

Gotcha. I think I was especially inspired to think of parallels during that scene because it reminded me so strongly of a similar scene not just in The Lion King, but more recently on Smallville during its Season 10 premiere "Lazarus."

[YT]kwPl8XIAUrI[/YT]

It also echoes the idea of Clark speaking to Jor-El at his Fortress of Solitude. Taken together, it was a really special scene to me.

Despite not being a fan of Smallville, I always loved their Jonathan Kent and an aspect I always loved about the character of Superman is him reaching out for advice from his two dads in several different interpretations.

Maybe it's a growing up without a dad thing, I don't know, but I always had a soft spot for Jonathan Kent.

I think the BvS scene was inspired by Smallville but apparently some people just didn't get the whole thing was a manifestation of Clark's mind. But if I recall correctly Clark conversed with his father in Smallville he just didn't listen. Either way BvS one was better because it actually added something, in Smallville it just came off as the actor hanging around on set so they just threw him in some scenes. I especially can't stand how they had him give Clark the suit; the final act of every Smallville S1 actor wanting to be more important than they actually are.
What am I talking about all of season 10 irritated me.

My favorite Jonathan Kent was played by Eddie Jones in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. He and Martha Kent, played by K Callan, had such great chemistry together, as well as with Clark and Lois.

Glenn Ford is my favorite Pa kent, he blended the archetypal comicbook mentor with a realistic father figure perfectly. I don't cry in movies at all but the scene when john has a heart attack still chokes me up.

An interesting version of Clark's adoptive parents were were Eben and Sarah Kent, played by Tom Fadden and Frances Morris, in the pilot of the Adventures of Superman.
Tom played his father Eben Kent much more rustically then subsequent versions. The rest sound more like they are living in Los Angeles than in Kansas.

Yeah it's interesting that the kents were named Eben and Sarah in the first Superman novel written in the early 40s but in the comics their names were john and Mary! Had either of these names stuck then the whole "Martha" moment wouldn't have happened.

An interesting version of Clark's adoptive parents were were Eben and Sarah Kent, played by Tom Fadden and Frances Morris, in the pilot of the Adventures of Superman.
Tom played his father Eben Kent much more rustically then subsequent versions. The rest sound more like they are living in Los Angeles than in Kansas.

Is that the George Reeves one?? I still haven't gotten around watching that show.

Is that the George Reeves one?? I still haven't gotten around watching that show.

Yes, it was the pilot episode, "Superman on Earth". Back in those days a show was 26 minutes long. The first 8 minutes took place on Krypton with Jor-El trying to get the rulers to understand Krypton was doomed and
then launching Kal-El to Earth. About the next 10 minutes were of Eben and Sarah finding the baby, Clark living on the Kent farm, discovering his powers, Eben dying, and Clark leaving the farm. The final part was Clark
becoming Superman and getting hired by Perry White as a reporter.

Yes, it was the pilot episode, "Superman on Earth". Back in those days a show was 26 minutes long. The first 8 minutes took place on Krypton with Jor-El trying to get the rulers to understand Krypton was doomed and
then launching Kal-El to Earth. About the next 10 minutes were of Eben and Sarah finding the baby, Clark living on the Kent farm, discovering his powers, Eben dying, and Clark leaving the farm. The final part was Clark
becoming Superman and getting hired by Perry White as a reporter.

Thanks, I'll have to get around to check it out one of these days.

I was rewatching Spider-man 2, and that scene where Peter Parker has the conversation with Uncle Ben in his dream really reminded me of Clark's conversation with Pa Kent. Spiderman 2 hit the emotions flawlessly. The BvS one was pretty good IMO, but the line that made my throat lump up was:

"I miss you son." "I miss you too Dad."

Simple, yet effective and I really liked their delivery.

I was rewatching Spider-man 2, and that scene where Peter Parker has the conversation with Uncle Ben in his dream really reminded me of Clark's conversation with Pa Kent. Spiderman 2 hit the emotions flawlessly. The BvS one was pretty good IMO, but the line that made my throat lump up was:

giphy.gif

Despite not being a fan of Smallville, I always loved their Jonathan Kent and an aspect I always loved about the character of Superman is him reaching out for advice from his two dads in several different interpretations.

Maybe it's a growing up without a dad thing, I don't know, but I always had a soft spot for Jonathan Kent.

As someone else who didn't grow up with a dad, you're damn spot on. Jonathan in that show was my farther figure growing up.

Yeah, that part got me as well.

As far as what parent he should interact with in JL, I'd personally take all 3.

Last edited:
As someone else who didn't grow up with a dad, you're damn spot on. Jonathan in that show was my farther figure growing up.

I think it's quite a common thing growing up without a dad to either consciously or subconsciously look for a "substitute" in either fiction or the real world, and Jon Kent is probably one of the best dads in fiction, so I'm pretty sure there are plenty more who feel like this out there :yay:

So which deceased father would you prefer for Clark to encounter in that matter? Jonathan Kent or Jor-el?

Ugh. Jor-El pretty much by default. I think there's some serious issues with his portrayal, but at least his advice to Clark wasn't *openly* "heroism is for suckers".

Ugh. Jor-El pretty much by default. I think there's some serious issues with his portrayal, but at least his advice to Clark wasn't *openly* "heroism is for suckers".

Yeah, this never happened. And I'm not gonna go into a whole debate about it, so don't sweat it guys. I'm just plainly saying it didn't happen.

At any rate, would like to see him talk to his alien mama.

Detractors are still making things up after several years. Business as usual.

This was one of the beautiful parts of the movie, such a beautiful exchange and heart breaking performance by Henry. One of the any reasons I don't comprehend the hate this film gets; it's not fun but it's beautiful.
And I just realized that his dad has been dead for over a decade during this scene.

Seeing Russell Crowe as Jor El again in JL if it happens it happens

you mean Russell Grow...?:sly:

He said he gained the weight for a roll.....

yeah, that and a couple danish...:cwink:

crowe2-248697.jpg

But I kid...I'd love to see him back again. No reason he couldn't have survived...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"