Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

After hearing about Mc Quarrie's ideas, I feel Mc Quarrie is the wrong director for Superman.

"What’s So Funny about Truth, Justice and The American Way" would make a good modern story for film interpretation. It stands as a great Superman story in its own right, but also almost an analogy on the modern take on Superheroes and how Superman can seem a little dated and one-dimensional next to some of the more complex antiheroes presented on screen in recent years - but he doesn't have to be.

Birthright is a great story too though I'm not sure if WB would want to go down the origin route yet again after MOS.

"Superman looking dated and one dimensional hero" is reinforcing stereotype, if anything Superman needs to break free of this image, a deconstructionist approach (like, Superman vs. The Elite) doesn't work.

Last edited:
Let's not make WB out to be the victims here, they made 3 superman films of -shall we say- questionable quality all the while repeating the same mistakes over and over i.e. mopey, emo, "dark" superman. Still SR opened strong while MOS and BvS opened big so the superman IP can't be faulted because it did what it was supposed to do and it drew the audience in on opening weekend and it wasn't the IP's fault that the movies failed to satisfy the general audience.
I'm not making them out to be anything other than hesitant. Ultimate blame does fall on them because they signed off on it, but at the same time it has to be acknowledged they don't actually make the films. They put their trust in the directors and writers hired to replicate the prior success that probably got them the job. Twice now they've had directors coming to them with ideas for a franchise, and it just didn't work out in the end. What makes the third or fourth time a new person comes knocking at the door any different? That's all I'm saying.

After hearing about Mc Quarrie's ideas, I feel Mc Quarrie is the wrong director for Superman.
Did he actually give those out? What were they?

If McQuarrie coming off a great win as a director and writer ain't a good fit for Supes then who is, fam? It ain't like there is a line of A list directors trying to get his number at this time, mane.

Last edited:
I saw yesterday Mario Robles was saying one of the X-men First Class writers has offered to write a draft of All Star Superman for McQuarrie.
McQuarrie replied with something like 'If they call me, I'll call you'

I'd be all onboard.

DoG8StPXUAAukVJ.jpg

I don't know what McQuarrie's specific ideas are but on the surface he would solve a lot of problems. Not only would you have a director but a writer too. It saves you from having to find a new actor. McQuarrie would bring Cavill with him. It would give clarity for the franchise going forward.

I don't know what McQuarrie's specific ideas are but on the surface he would solve a lot of problems. Not only would you have a director but a writer too. It saves you from having to find a new actor. McQuarrie would bring Cavill with him. It would give clarity for the franchise going forward.
Agreed

I'd be all onboard.

DoG8StPXUAAukVJ.jpg

That's a moment, not a story. Do you really think All-Star Superman is the right plot/story? Vibe? Sure. Grab a few moments from it? Okay. But "draft of All-Star Superman" sounds kind of like a straight adaptation, and that's iffy. Heck, even a Superman movie that included the moment from above wouldn't be saved by it alone if the rest of it was poor.

Anyway, I don't mind McQuarrie. It would be settling based on my personal tastes, however. I'd prefer someone with a bit more whimsy and whose work succeeds with broader audiences, like women and children. McQuarrie's successes skew older and male, and his work doesn't speak to his fantasy or sci-fi bona fides, which is what Superman and especially All-Star are to a great extent. Directors with horror backgrounds seem to be a more natural fit or make a more natural transition.

I'm not making them out to be anything other than hesitant. Ultimate blame does fall on them because they signed off on it, but at the same time it has to be acknowledged they don't actually make the films. They put their trust in the directors and writers hired to replicate the prior success that probably got them the job. Twice now they've had directors coming to them with ideas for a franchise, and it just didn't work out in the end. What makes the third or fourth time a new person comes knocking at the door any different? That's all I'm saying.

Did he actually give those out? What were they?

oh I c what you're saying and you make a good point. I personally wouldn't blame them for being gun shy but I do blame them for putting superman aside to develop a supergirl movie and I do blame them for not atleast trying to make something happen with superman e.g. hiring a writer or getting McQuarrie to write a script or something....anything!

On the topic of Action #775 and All star, I think the former would make a great adaptation while the latter no so much. Action#775, if done right, could break the whole "superman is too boring/outdated" nonsense that all non fans love to spew out when commenting about superman.
All star was a great story where superman gets to confess his love for Lois, cure cancer, save the world and leave the necessary footprints for humanity to make the next technological leap i.e. All star was Superman's last adventure and not exactly a story you'd want to use to give the character a rebirth of sorts.

Last edited:
Not just a writer/director, but a damn good writer/director who, even on the most popcorn-y blockbuster material imaginable, still likes to dig into his characters and shine a light on what makes them tick and what makes them interesting. He's not a comics guy - he's a story/character guy who's found himself perfectly comfortable in the studio blockbuster franchise machine - and that's exactly what Supes could use right about now, imo.

I saw yesterday Mario Robles was saying one of the X-men First Class writers has offered to write a draft of All Star Superman for McQuarrie.
McQuarrie replied with something like 'If they call me, I'll call you'

Ahhhhh, I'm so discouraged by this answer =( that means nothing's happening.

The worst part is, there seem to be a lot of people offering to direct/write Superman, and nothing happens.

At least give me a GLC with McQ if WB's not into Sup

That's a moment, not a story. Do you really think All-Star Superman is the right plot/story? Vibe? Sure. Grab a few moments from it? Okay. But "draft of All-Star Superman" sounds kind of like a straight adaptation, and that's iffy. Heck, even a Superman movie that included the moment from above wouldn't be saved by it alone if the rest of it was poor.

Just out of curiosity (and you may have already answered this, but I don't recall seeing), if you were to choose a CB story or two to base the next Superman film off of, what would it be primarily?

Just out of curiosity (and you may have already answered this, but I don't recall seeing), if you were to choose a CB story or two to base the next Superman film off of, what would it be primarily?

At the moment, probably a mix of Johns' and Morrison's Brainiac stories. The Morrison one is particularly appealing because of its populist content and folk hero approach to Superman as well as its use of John Henry Irons (Steel). What works from the Johns' story is its use of a more mature Superman and some of its romantic elements and newsroom comedy elements. They incorporate mostly Golden Age and Bronze/Iron (Post-Crisis) elements, while All-Star Superman is mostly Silver Age. It's story of a dying Superman and its terrible treatment of Lois disqualifies it from being worth adapting in live action. The only bits I would keep would be helping a suicidal individual.

Ahhhhh, I'm so discouraged by this answer =( that means nothing's happening.

The worst part is, there seem to be a lot of people offering to direct/write Superman, and nothing happens.

At least give me a GLC with McQ if WB's not into Sup

200.gif

First Poster for Nomis - Henry Cavill, Nathan Fillion, Stanley Tucci, Ben Kingsley, and Alexandra Daddario

mj50polth9p11.png

This looks like a straight to dvd movie. The name doesn't help either. But, this is probably Cavill and Daddario wanting to be taken seriously. No trailer or anything doesn't bode well.

Most comic book films are distilled versions of actual comic stories they're claiming to be adapting anyways. All-Star Superman doesn't really lend itself to a film adaptation as it's more of an anthology story with the consistent through-line of Superman dealing with/preparing for his death. I'm not sure if that central plot line would really work since Superman was just resurrected.

I think All-Star, Superman: For All Seasons, etc are all good tone-wise, but I think they need to scale the next film back and maybe not even use a big villain like Brainiac. Keep the story small scale and emotional but leave room for action sequences. Use a villain like Metallo or Parasite with the right amount of reimagining could pull an emotional/sympathetic villain somehow.

Most comic book films are distilled versions of actual comic stories they're claiming to be adapting anyways. All-Star Superman doesn't really lend itself to a film adaptation as it's more of an anthology story with the consistent through-line of Superman dealing with/preparing for his death. I'm not sure if that central plot line would really work since Superman was just resurrected.

I think All-Star, Superman: For All Seasons, etc are all good tone-wise, but I think they need to scale the next film back and maybe not even use a big villain like Brainiac. Keep the story small scale and emotional but leave room for action sequences. Use a villain like Metallo or Parasite with the right amount of reimagining could pull an emotional/sympathetic villain somehow.

Agreed. The whole starting premise of the book is that Superman's time is now limited, so what does he do with this time? As such, Grant Morrison uses it as an opportunity to shrink Superman's mythos down to its core elements. Who is Superman? What is he about? But it's the underlying element of Superman's demise that allows this more pure look at who and what he is. Otherwise, taking specific anthology stories out of the book are just stories without any real connection to All-Star Superman to begin with.

I truly believe the way to go for a sequel is through Brainiac. It's a big villain and it allows the focus to be on Superman's humanity, despite being an alien, vs Brainiac's alienness . And while it should have weight, be dramatic, it can also be fun and hopeful. Call it Superman: Man of Tomorrow. If this story is successful and you get the GA to accept this version of Superman, then you can move into other directions, say, Action Comics 775.

i think the GA just want to be entertained - they want to see Clark Kent juggle the planet job - humour, saving the day - action and how he handles lois - romance. Kids wanna feel that they could be the unpopular kid but be a hero underneath. Adults want to see action and good story, eye candy and inspiration.

To a lot of us the simplest way to go is so obvious, but it's just not happening.

"Superman looking dated and one dimensional hero" is reinforcing stereotype, if anything Superman needs to break free of this image, a deconstructionist approach (like, Superman vs. The Elite) doesn't work.

It's only reinforcing the stereotype if the story pushes that angle.

In reality, the story showed at the end that Superman used his abilities and his intelligence to outwit four opponents who were - combined - seemingly more powerful than him. And he did it without compromising his ideals or stooping to their level of brutality. These were four opponents who lambasted him for being dated and one-dimensional but were ultimately shown that they were the ones who sacrificed morality, empathy and ethics for their aims, and Superman was the one who was able to adhere to his own personal code and still prove superior. That to me is a story that is somewhat uplifting and encouraging for anyone out there who struggles to maintain any sense of morality in an increasingly dog-eat-dog world.

Just rewatched All Star Superman (the movie), enjoyed it way better than I remembered, and I don't remember the comic that well, but remember the basics enough to see the things that were changed with the pulpy sci-fi more "out there" things, like the time travelling and Lex giving birth to the Kryptonian race (am I remembering correctly?? That's from the All-Star comics, right??); I wished they've kept that panel posted above from the comics and do away with the 2 Kryptonians subplot, or the Samson one, which I felt that were honoring the original story while not adding as much as the attempt suicide one would, but oh well...

While I have no interest in seeing this version of Silver Age Superman in live action, I love that we can have this in animation, since it's certainly a very important and valid take on a more "classic" Superman, and I love all that pulpy shirt too :woot: and the animation was top notch!!

I'm not looking for an adaptation of any particular comic, I want a new story, something I haven't already read. It's the same reason I don't bother with most of the animated films.
By all means take a concept here, a line there, but I want to see something that hasn't been done before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"