BvS Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the bumbling Clark Kent more fun. Honestly, even when he disappears, no one could ever suspect that this "geek" is secretly Superman, hence why he disappears all of a sudden. No one would, I mean he acts so innocent and childish in a way. He tries never to act like Superman.

I would start suspecting if it were the animated series version or Dean Cain's version of Clark Kent, since these versions of Clark Kent are more confident, adult and mature like, and competent.

I wouldn't mind for the bumbling Clark version to have a little more ground and not just act completely weak. He needs to hide his secret.

I never thought Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was over the top.

Dean Cain's Clark Kent was a dork and boring. Humor is most characteristic.

I don't see why they can't have a mish mash of the different interpretations. To most people, he's invisible or ignored. When they do pay attention he does something clumsy to hide himself, and around Jimmy/Perry he lets his cover down a little and shows them a bit of who he really is.

I picked up the ARCHER SEASON 4 BLu ray and they had ARCHER LIVE in the special features... Just saying, but ARCHER live action film with Henry doing the physical role and H. Jon Benjamin doing the voice. It's... so... crazy... it... just... might... WORK!!

Although I wouldn't want him to be dubbed over, I'd be very interested in seeing how he'd handle a character like that.

You taking your own appreciation of it as a general opinion was the beginning of the discussion in the first place.
I won't strech this anymore so... whatever you said is fine.... nevermind......

Last edited:
^I'd like any of three options from Henry with Reporter Clark, all of which I believe he could rock.

1. A truly fade into the background, non showy but competent and somewhat fearless reporter the way Byrne had Clark be. We have Lois' words to go by: "A cypher, a ghost who never quite fit in." This Clark has great experience just blending in and not really making any waves.

2. A Clark that comes off as the geeky classic version in some way because he's not used to having to make excuses. Like, this act of having to come up with lame reasons he's not around, or the like actually flusters him in some way. We the audience know the real reason, but to someone else it just seems like this Kent guy is a bit of a jammering yet boring ninny.

3. Clark, again trying to come up with excuses and a personality to throw people off the scent does come close to going into full on Chris Reeve styled Clark Kent, but now that Lois is in on the story in this version, she can stop him before he lays it on too thick.

Agreed. We saw that Clark. And as you've said in this movie he was good hiding and no waves left behind him.
I think making up excuses and with Lois help to backing him up, but I will go the first one but with the people acting like if he was a boring guy without any other things than his own work.

Cat_grant.jpg

smth like this would be fine...

Guess we'll see. From the little snippet that we got in MOS, I would guess that Cavill's Clark will be less overly nerdy and more hipster nerdy (I'm just making that assumption based on the way he is dressed and how he rides a bike to work). I think he can pull that off quite well. If that's the way they go with it, I could see some people loving it, with others complaining that's he's not dorky enough.
innevitable. that's a shame...
But on the other hand I see what you mean of the bike guy, giving the impression "oh he's just a guy from a small town", nerdy, loook at how he dress, nothing fashionable at all...

Last edited:
Agreed. We saw that Clark. And as you've said in this movie he was good hiding and no waves left behind him.
I think making up excuses and with Lois help to backing him up, but I will go the first one but with the people acting like if he was a boring guy without any other things than his own work.

Cat_grant.jpg

smth like this would be fine...

innevitable. that's a shame...
But on the other hand I see what you mean of the bike guy, giving the impression "oh he's just a guy from a small town", nerdy, loook at how he dress, nothing fashionable at all...
I wanna work in an office that allows such attire on women! My office wouldn't allow that lady to wear that top even if she zipped it right up to her neck. :csad:

I wouldn't mind seeing a Clark who is regarded as the strong, silent type. Someone who is way too focused on his work to worry about fraternizing. That's not to say he can't make friends, but portraying himself that way, I think, would be a fair compromise between confident and bumbling.

I find the bumbling Clark Kent more fun. Honestly, even when he disappears, no one could ever suspect that this "geek" is secretly Superman, hence why he disappears all of a sudden. No one would, I mean he acts so innocent and childish in a way. He tries never to act like Superman.

I would start suspecting if it were the animated series version or Dean Cain's version of Clark Kent, since these versions of Clark Kent are more confident, adult and mature like, and competent.

I wouldn't mind for the bumbling Clark version to have a little more ground and not just act completely weak. He needs to hide his secret.

I never thought Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent was over the top.

Dean Cain's Clark Kent was a dork and boring. Humor is most characteristic.

I absolutely hate Bumbling Clark Kent, going out of his way to do things that would only serve to draw attention to himself. Reeve may have been 10 times the Superman Cain was, but I think Cain was 10 times better than him at being Clark Kent. I hate it when they take the disguise aspect of Clark Kent to the point where none of his actual personality shines through. I much prefer it when Superman and DP Kent both do their part at letting him express certain elements of himself as well as disguising other aspects.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate Bumbling Clark Kent, going out of his way to do things that would only serve to draw attention to himself.

Says it all, really. People think playing the completely opposite is the solution to the identity problem, but all it does is serve to highlight a possible cover-up.

A big reason why I wasn't a fan of Bale's playboy act. Way too far into the "look at me I'm sooo not like Batman!" type of performance.

A healthy balance is ideal. Enough to shoe away suspicion, but not so much that it garners a different type of attention.

I wanna work in an office that allows such attire on women! My office wouldn't allow that lady to wear that top even if she zipped it right up to her neck. :csad:

Even law firms wouldn't put up with that!

Oh, wait...
Erin+Brockovich7.jpg

;)

I'd like to see a Clarke that is damn good at his job, but totally awkward in public, just shy - doesn't hold conversations well - nervous stammer infront of girls - but he is cute and they see the good in him.

The way Clark was written in Superman returns was perfect - now picture Henry with those lines, that direction - be perfect contrast to his Superman.

When he is in the suit, he is so commanding, that anyone that has seen the rare video footage of Superman would never think the shy geek in the planet was an Alien.

Says it all, really. People think playing the completely opposite is the solution to the identity problem, but all it does is serve to highlight a possible cover-up.

A big reason why I wasn't a fan of Bale's playboy act. Way too far into the "look at me I'm sooo not like Batman!" type of performance.

A healthy balance is ideal. Enough to shoe away suspicion, but not so much that it garners a different type of attention.

The thing is I think if you were in that role that Wyane is in you'd have to do that kind of act. Clark Kent is sort of an anonymous-ish type of guy so he probably could afford to turn it down and blend in. Wayne however is someone who's about as well known as Batman and he was someone who literally re-appeared in Gotham the same time that Batman first appeared.

He had to appear like a careless d-bag, because really all the signs are there that Bruce and Batman are one. Especially if Bruce in his regular life is known as this intense serious figure.

So I did enjoy Bale's take.

I think he should just do enough to make people believe he could never be Superman, but not so much that he draws more attention to himself so that people notice him.

The thing is I think if you were in that role that Wyane is in you'd have to do that kind of act. Clark Kent is sort of an anonymous-ish type of guy so he probably could afford to turn it down and blend in. Wayne however is someone who's about as well known as Batman and he was someone who literally re-appeared in Gotham the same time that Batman first appeared.
I suppose that it's up to each person's sensitivity to the issue. Regardless of the coincidences, it's still highly risky to announce yourself to everyone and put yourself in the spotlight. The best way to beat the police lineup is to never be there in the first place.

He had to appear like a careless d-bag, because really all the signs are there that Bruce and Batman are one.
Because we have a more intimate insight into the ongoings of Bruce's life, I think we're overstating the correlation between the two identities. Bruce was borne out of tragedy, yes, but so would have hundreds of other children in that city. The only damning evidence was the Tumbler, since there is a blatant connection to Wayne Industries. But even then it would be a stretch to try and directly relate it to its CEO.

I think he should just do enough to make people believe he could never be Superman, but not so much that he draws more attention to himself so that people notice him.
Aka mild-mannered. A bit strange how it's as synonymous with Clark Kent as "faster than a speeding bullet..." is to Supes, but we have rarely seen that iteration of Clark in recent time.

^ I think the animated version was the only version in modern times where Clark wasn't a complete freak show at the Planet. They should just copy that.

Gotta say...not a fan or superman returns but..when Lois and her wife are looking at Clark and thinking he could be supes and Clark turns and does that dorky wave. I lost my shiz.

I absolutely hate Bumbling Clark Kent, going out of his way to do things that would only serve to draw attention to himself. Reeve may have been 10 times the Superman Cain was, but I think Cain was 10 times better than him at being Clark Kent. I hate it when they take the disguise aspect of Clark Kent to the point where none of his actual personality shines through. I much prefer it when Superman and DP Kent both do their part at letting him express certain elements of himself as well as disguising other aspects.

One of the things I most liked about Lois & Clark was the idea that Clark was the real person and Superman was the performance. I think that makes a lot more sense so I agree I prefer a natural Clark like Dean Cain's.

A actress who's main claim to fame is becoming is playing a hooker turned into a housewife. :p

I agree. Bumbling Clark is just dated and annoying.

I'm all for him having a couple awkward moments, but there's no need for any outright buffoonery. It draws attention and is not necessary to differentiate him from Superman. It also gets in the way. When all Clark does is bumble around, it prevents the Kent persona from actually participating in the narrative. It reduces Kent to comic relief. I want stuff to actually happen when he's Clark. I want him to make real friends, enjoy his job and take part in the overall plot. He can still be a good reporter and investigate Lex or something.

It's also worth noting that different "personas" are already emerging. Cavill has already started developing a Superman persona. The guy that was humiliated in the bar scene is not the same guy that told Swanwick not to play games. His attitude, demeanor and tone are clearly different. The fact that Cavill has come up with some distinct mannerisms for Superman will help differentiate the two. The confidence he displayed clearly says "superman mode." He just needs to revert back to that meek man he was during his wandering days while in Clark mode.

I agree. Bumbling Clark is just dated and annoying.

I'm all for him having a couple awkward moments, but there's no need for any outright buffoonery. It draws attention and is not necessary to differentiate him from Superman. It also gets in the way. When all Clark does is bumble around, it prevents the Kent persona from actually participating in the narrative. It reduces Kent to comic relief. I want stuff to actually happen when he's Clark. I want him to make real friends, enjoy his job and take part in the overall plot. He can still be a good reporter and investigate Lex or something.

It's also worth noting that different "personas" are already emerging. Cavill has already started developing a Superman persona. The guy that was humiliated in the bar scene is not the same guy that told Swanwick not to play games. His attitude, demeanor and tone are clearly different. The fact that Cavill has come up with some distinct mannerisms for Superman will help differentiate the two. The confidence he displayed clearly says "superman mode." He just needs to revert back to that meek man he was during his wandering days while in Clark mode.

Not sure what you're talking about there because Man of Steel didn't have any character development at all. Superman stays exactly the same from childbirth all the way into adulthood because people on the Internet said so. This is why David Goyer should be blacklisted from Hollywood and WB should sue him for fleecing them out of their money because he's the biggest hack in the world. When we will get a Superman movie that is an undisputed masterpiece like Thor: The Dark World or Pacific Rim?

^ hehe, I might detect some sarcasm there. Damn Goyer can't do anything right.:oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"