Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

I really hope he isn't done but it's not confirmation of anything. Unless Cavill's agent backs down from her demands for her client we won't be seeing Henry as Superman again.

I think WB is waiting for successful Aquaman. Then maybe Superman 2 with 175 million max budget

I genuinely liked where Cavill’s Superman was heading. But I still don’t think he’s a good actor, I think his supporting cast is poorly cast (Adams, Fishburne, and Eisenberg are good actors that don’t fit these roles), and I think it’ll be an uphill battle trying to get the general audience on board for another Cavill Superman outing.

I’m indifferent on whether he stays or leaves, I just want a new Superman movie.

They need a clean break. Superman is probably the most most expendable character (character, not actor) they have at this point. I don’t hate Cavill, but he needs to be gone yesterday.

I'm hoping -rather foolishly- that with Aquaman being a big success(at least in china so far) that WB will relent and make Superman 2 with Cavill-but with a strict 200 million dollar budget-and the villian must be anyone but Lex. Too much Lex is boring.
I think WB is waiting for successful Aquaman. Then maybe Superman 2 with 175 million max budget
Are you under the impression that budget is anywhere near restrictive? That's well over the average cost of a top-tier blockbuster today. If they're thinking to start "small" with Supes, I'd hazard a guess that upper limit would sub-150M.

People forgot about the African warlord around here? News to me. That gets brought up all the time, despite Clark telling Lois and there by the audience that he didn't kill anyone in Africa. Interesting that this is a given despite that and nothing will change some folks mind... But bring up the recklessness of Bale's Batman in say running over cop cars with a tank or opening fire on a parking lot where we are clearly shown there are people... That's not fair, for... Reasons. Reasons that often include "It's a movie man... Don't take it so seriously. Just accept that nobody was harmed and let it go."

Well... Supes stated to the audience that he didn't kill anyone in Africa. Why not apply the standard that obviously allows Bale to run rampant in a chase that would have by any measure included a **** ton of casualties?

I genuinely don’t remember this line. When does he say it to her? The bath scene?

Around that scene yes. He says something like "they can say anything they want, i didnt kill those men". And like somebody pointed out, Snyder confirmed that.

That African warlord must be made of reinforced titanium then, being able to survive getting driven through several concrete walls at incredible speed like that.

Maybe Superman didn’t kill him; he just left him paralyzed from the neck down and broke every bone in his body. That would fit with Snyder’s comment that the warlord was no longer a problem.

So inspirational!

That African warlord must be made of reinforced titanium then, being able to survive getting driven through several concrete walls at incredible speed like that.

I get there are valid complaints about BVS but that one was the ultimate ridiculous nitpick. All Superman has to do is tuck the guy into his body and make sure his own head leads first then book it’s Superman smashing through the wall. We can’t see it happens so fast.

I get there are valid complaints about BVS but that one was the ultimate ridiculous nitpick. All Superman has to do is tuck the guy into his body and make sure his own head leads first then book it’s Superman smashing through the wall. We can’t see it happens so fast.

Would have been nice if Snyder had taken the time to portray something like that... instead of leaving the audience with the distinct and understandable impression that the guy was dead, after having been piledrived through several walls at super speed.

Would have been nice if Snyder had taken the time to portray something like that... instead of leaving the audience with the distinct and understandable impression that the guy was dead, after having been piledrived through several walls at super speed.

Dude come on people knew he wasn’t dead. They complained cause they wanted to complain. This is the issue with the people who don’t like the Snyder films they have real valid complaints and then bull**** dumb ones like this.

In any case I’m not doing the rodeo on this one no thanks.

It’d be nice for the director to show that then. Like, a short scene, no more than 20 seconds where the Warlord opens his eyes, scared but amazed that he’s still in one piece. He looks up at Superman who is still holding onto him, who maybe makes a comment about pointing guns at people being rude.

A nice character moment so you understand that Superman doesn’t just murder people, despite them deserving it. A moment to show that Superman doesn’t take the easy option, or the low ground even when tempted.

Instead, the way the scene plays out causes confusion. Did Superman kill the Warlord? It looks like he did. Is he lying to Lois about it?! He said he didn’t kill anyone. No wait, he must not have killed him, the scene was just useless in conveying that message to the audience.

If it doesn’t bother you it doesn’t bother you but a lot of us have never liked how cold and callous this Superman is and introducing him in BvS by seemingly killing someone right at the beginning was just an indicator that Snyder was doubling down on his worst instincts. It’s definitely a nitpick but it’s kind of BvS in a nutshell: thoughtless violence with no real purpose.

Last edited:
I think the other thing that bothered me about that whole sequence (aside from it being the first of many scenes in the movie where Superman has no dialogue whatsoever), is that it sort of portrays Superman as not giving a crap about the actual fighting that was going on in that country until Lois Lane was in danger. And maybe Superman isn't a character that should get involved in conflicts like that. But if you choose to involve him, it shouldn't just be because his girlfriend is in trouble. I guess you could deduce that he may have been headed over there anyway and it was just that he happened to get there when Lois was in trouble, but the film portrays it like the only thing he's concerned about is her (which is ironic, since it appears that he doesn't even stick around to talk to her after he plows that guy through a wall).

Just poor filmmaking all around.

If it doesn’t bother you it doesn’t bother you but a lot of us have never liked how cold and callous this Superman is and introducing him in BvS by seemingly killing someone right at the beginning was just an indicator that Snyder was doubling down on his worst instincts. It’s definitely a nitpick but it’s kind of BvS in a nutshell: thoughtless violence with no real purpose.

But he doesn't kill him, he says in the next scene.

Then again when's last time you had a debate about BvS probably wanting another one eh? Trust me I know your game with this so I'm not getting into this with you ;)

It’d be nice for the director to show that then. Like, a short scene, no more than 20 seconds where the Warlord opens his eyes, scared but amazed that he’s still in one piece. He looks up at Superman who is still holding onto him, who maybe makes a comment about pointing guns at people being rude.

A nice character moment so you understand that Superman doesn’t just murder people, despite them deserving it. A moment to show that Superman doesn’t take the easy option, or the low ground even when tempted.

Instead, the way the scene plays out causes confusion. Did Superman kill the Warlord? It looks like he did. Is he lying to Lois about it?! He said he didn’t kill anyone. No wait, he must not have killed him, the scene was just useless in conveying that message to the audience.

One of Snyder's faults is he doesn't show enough I agree there. Heck he deconstructs Superman after not showing the characters construction. I get that complaint, it's valid. But saying Supernan killed someone when we know he didn't is one of the ridiculous complaints created by people looking for debate.

The fact he says he didn't in the next scene shows he didn't. Why would anyone assume he's lying he's Superman.

Actually, in the next scene, he says he didn't kill the people that he's accused of murdering (I think all the people who got shot). He may have also been grouping in that guy with those people as well, but it's not clear.

Actually, in the next scene, he says he didn't kill the people that he's accused of murdering (I think all the people who got shot). He may have also been grouping in that guy with those people as well, but it's not clear.

But come on he didn’t kill him did he? Only person he’s killed is Zod. I think people who hate the films clump these dumb complaints with genuine ones. Which is why I can’t take theee people we seriously. Cause it’s like they’re so blind with hatred that they have to find more and more stuff to complain about.

Honestly, I'm not so sure he didn't kill him. I mean, what do we know about Zack Snyder? Is he the kind of director that takes criticisms to heart, or is he the type that doubles down on stuff because he's so convinced that his "vision" is better than everyone else? I don't know the man personally, but Snyder certainly seems like the latter to me. BvS felt like him doubling down on a lot of the elements that people didn't like about MOS. MOS was too dark? Well, wait until you see BvS! MOS wasn't hopeful enough? Well, wait until you see the bleak hellscape that is BvS? I mean, Superman at one point, resolves that he may actually have to kill Batman, telling Lois that "no one stays good in this world" or whatever. So given Snyder's tendencies to double down, he seems EXACTLY like the kind of director who would open the movie with Superman killing someone, since so many people had an issue with it in MOS.

To be clear, I didn't have a problem with him killing Zod. I actually thought that scene was executed well and since Superman has killed Zod before in the comics and in the theatrical version of Superman 2, it wasn't really a break from the norm.

I think its pretty clear he didn’t but anyway there’s no point debating BVS it’s been done to death. The questions now are what’s in store for Superman’s future.

In spite of my exuburance for Cavill coming back-i have seen the errors in my ways. WB doesn't want him back at the price he wants. Just the way it is.

In spite of my exuburance for Cavill coming back-i have seen the errors in my ways. WB doesn't want him back at the price he wants. Just the way it is.

And you can’t blame them really, I just wonder if he could have done better or his agent rather could have done better and gotten him something protection so if his next film made X amount of dollars he’d be entitled to bonuses or to make more on a follow up. It’s really hard without knowing what she wanted but sounds like she pissed them off with her demands. If she was really playing hardball like we’ve heard then I think Henry needs to reevaluate whose representing him.

I don't care if he comes back or not, to be honest. And I do like Cavill. But unfortunately, he'll always be associated with two (and some would say three) terrible movies. It's probably best to just start fresh with a new actor. And if that's what gets Superman back on the big screen, so be it.

They're talking about the people Luthor's men killed, using the, uh, kryptonian bullets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"