How New Line Cinema Destroyed the Friday the 13th Franchise

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Alex_Spider, Jun 8, 2013.

1. DarKush Registered

I didn't care for the remake. I did like the first part and the first group of campers. If the film had stuck with them I might like it better. They felt like real friends. The group the film focused on just didn't mesh together well for me. And of course there were the expected stupid choices made. Characters I like making stupid choices would have been more tolerable than ones I don't like.

2. The Dark Defender Unite and Fight

I thought she was perfect, I just wish they'd given her more to do.

She's easily one of the best young actresses around.

3. culver3vlr22 Registered

The first hatchet for me is damn near the perfect slasher. I love the friendship Deion and Joel's characters had it felt real which is hard for me in horror movies to truly feel.

4. DaRkVeNgeanCe An Epic Film Guy

The Hatchet films are decent at best but they're nowhere near as good at the original Parmount F13 films.

5. culver3vlr22 Registered

With cultural impact F13 had its hard to compare.

IMO I believe Hatchet is on par with any slasher film. Maybe I'm a fanboy and just love the film lol but I think it's just as great as any slasher it just was released in 2005

6. culver3vlr22 Registered

With cultural impact F13 had its hard to compare.

IMO I believe Hatchet is on par with any slasher film. Maybe I'm a fanboy and just love the film lol but I think it's just as great as any slasher it just was released in 2006

7. mclay18 Registered

I love Rooney Mara, she was outstanding in Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Side Effects... but she was woefully miscast in the NOES remake. I'm not saying they should've cast a girl who looked similar to Heather Langenkamp, but Mara's miscasting was compounded by a script that did her no favors.

Speaking of which, Platinum Dunes is still in the mix to produce more F13 sequels with Paramount, per Bloody Disgusting.

8. Thundarr Registered

To be honest, Paramount pretty much ruined the Friday The 13th franchise when they started adding all of the supernatural elements (zombie Jason teleporting ahead of his fleeing victims, etc). Any damage New Line did to the franchise after that was pretty negligable by comparison. It's like taking a sledgehammer to a junker of a car in an auto wrecking yard and then being blamed for ruining a perfectly good car.

While JGTH was pretty bad, Jason X was kinda fun if you watch it in a perspective of it being a space adventure and not a Friday The 13th sequel. Most of Freddy vs Jason wasn't very good, but I do enjoy watching the final showdown between the two characters.

I don't care much for Platinum Dunes' remake. While Derek Mears did a fine job as Jason, and it was nice to see "Hunter Jason" back and not "Zombie Jason", the main characters were mostly not likeable, and there was no effort made to build up any suspense. So while they did have much of what the first 3 films got right, they also had nearly everything the following 8 films got wrong. I will admit that the Friday The 13th remake was significantly better than Rob Zombie's Halloween remake though. But that's not all that hard to do. I've seen fan films that are better than Rob Zombie's Halloween.

9. Teelie Jokerface

Jason X would not have surprised me to have originally been another script that was given a face lift rewrite for the Friday the 13th franchise.

Everything I've read said it was intentionally meant to be for Jason from the start but only a few minor tweaks and it could've just been virtually any other anonymous killer/monster and you wouldn't have noticed.

I liked the movie in that way but as a Friday the 13th film it just doesn't feel the same.

10. Thundarr Registered

Exactly! You could have substituted Jason for a xenomorph from Alien or a predator from Predator, or even an original and unique space creature, and had a pretty good sci-fi adventure with some horror elements. But as a Friday The 13th movie, it just doesn't work.

11. Lex Luthor Evildoer

From what I understand having read Crystal Lake Memories, the script underwent numerous re-writes, and the film we ended up with was fairly different than what was originally intended. Atleast that's the picture James Isaac, and Todd Farmer painted during their interviews.

But, yeah. I know what you mean. Personally, I think the whole notion of Jason in space should have been left as the "Jason takes NASA" Madtv skit and nothing more.

12. Thundarr Registered

That's probably where they got the idea.

13. enterthemadness The Triumvirate

Damn, both studios suck.

Kinda glad New Line went belly up and basically folded into WB. Well...they are still around, but WB co-released their movies now.

I actually like the book sequels to Jason X. Two and Three I read.

Oh, I LOVE the commentary on Jason X. Much better than the movie. Hell, the shooting script is better than the movie, so I blame the director and casting director. Also, the movie was delayed and dumped casue the guy who greenlit it got fired not long before the finished film was delivered.

#63 enterthemadness, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  14. GENERAL RAAM582 A Rebellion Built on Hope

I didn't like Nancy in NOES 2010 at all. Jackie Earl Haley really saved that film for me.

15. SpitCurl Registered

I really disliked the NOES remake, partly because Rooney and JEH felt miscast to me, ironic because I think both are good actors. JEH felt wrong from day one; a 5-foot-nothing Freddy with "realistic" burn make-up that unintentionally makes him look goofy combined with one-liners seemingly mumbled through loose dentures doesn't inspire much fear.

He was great pre-burn, but that's also the problem: some characters shouldn't be demystified. Absolutely explain his origin for context if you need to for the film to make sense (he was burned alive for "crimes" against neighborhood kids), but I don't give a rip about seeing that backstory played out. I don't want a sympathetic Freddy (the did he/didn't he thing truly irked me). Explain how the human Freddy died and let our minds fill in the blanks as to the kind of person he was.

Lastly, I'm just bored with the basic premise of the films at this point. The low-production value and boring sets plus bad CGI blood and effects as he sardonically stalks a bunch of bland kids that I neither care enough about to want to live nor dislike enough to want to see die in creative ways is old. And really, "boring" is the worst thing you can say about a franchise build around the conceit of "dream demon can chase, torment, and kill you in your sleep".

You could do so much with it that we haven't seen. I mean, they're dreams, there is literally no ceiling to how warped and twisted the visuals and imagery could be. Laws of physics don't apply. Go crazy. But enough with the smokey boiler room and suddenly-dilapidated-and-eerie school sets. Put Freddy back in the shadows. Shut him the hell up (or at least distort his voice to make it more "other"). Get creative with the dream-scapes and make the victims people we can relate to and their deaths really hurt. I don't so much want to root for Freddy this time; I want to truly fear him. I want him to be a mean bastard again.

#65 SpitCurl, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  16. Thundarr Registered

I didn't like her either. I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jackie Earl Haley saved the film. Much like Star Wars Episode I: The Franchise Menace, it was so poorly done that there's no real saving it. But like Qui-Gwan and Obi-Wan's duel with Darth Maul, JEH was pretty much the only bright point in the entire movie. That and they did manage to do a pretty good job of creating a creepy atmosphere. But everything else sucked.

17. Thundarr Registered

I agree with some of what you've written, but not all. I also didn't like most of the characters in the remake enough to want to see them survive, or dislike them enough to want them to all die gruesome and imaginative deaths.

However I did enjoy JEH's portayal of Freddy, and had no problems with the "more realistic" burn make up. It wasn't so much that we were shown a preburned Freddy in flashbacks that bothered me. It was the "was he/wasnt he guilty" addition to his back story. And the fact that he was changed from a serial killer who preyed on children to just a pedophile also ticked me off.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think Freddy needs to be some big hulking brute. Robert Englund isn't. And besides, predators who prey on small children are often of smaller stature. That's why they prey on children, because they're too weak to prey on anyone larger.

While I didn't mind the dream sequences in the movie, I do agree with you they had the potential to be so much better.

18. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

JEH did what he could with truly terrible material but he just didn't click the way I wanted him to in the role. Englund's legacy is safe.

The casting of Nancy is funny because clearly Rooney is a far more talented actress than Heather but what Heather lacked in actual acting talent in the role she made up for by being charming and just like a regular girl caught up in a crazy situation. You could root for her. Rooney was dull, glum and unlikable and her actual acting was pretty lousy mostly. I wanted goth Nancy to die. I found the Kris character to be way more sympathetic. It's no secret that I find the remake to be absolutely appalling in every conceivable way so I won't add to my criticisms about the film.

19. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

She didn't even want the role and almost quit acting after the movie so I'm not surprised she phoned in her performance in the film

Many jobbing actors do a bad horror film when they are starting out.

I found the NOES boring.

20. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Well it's nice to know that she is aware that she was playing in a bad movie and gave a bad performance. It's a pure studio movie so I actually don't blame any of the creatives. I've suffered through the film two or three times so you can't say I didn't give it a chance. I did and I still marvel at how bad it is.

21. nite-owl Registered

Also the guy who directed the NOES remake basically blamed the fans for it failing.

22. Thundarr Registered

That's kinda dumb. It's not the fans fault the writer came up with a piss poor script, it's the writer's. The director did an alright job on his end, and I enjoyed JEH's performance. But there's only so much that you can do with a s**t script.

If you guys want to see a good interpretation of Pre-Burned Freddy, you should check out Krueger: An Elm Street Tale and Krueger: Another Elm Street Tale by Blinky Productions. They can be found on Blinky Productions' website, or on You Tube. Their account name is Blinky500. They do mostly fan films, but these guys tend to have the best writing and production values of all the other fan film makers out there. Anyway, most definitely worth a look.

BTW, just thought I should mention that this is a thread about Friday The 13th, not A Nightmare On Elm Street, and the sequels by New Line Cinema, not the remakes by Platinum Dunes. Let's try and get back on topic.

23. GENERAL RAAM582 A Rebellion Built on Hope

Agreed. With the technology we could have had some really cool stuff in the remake, but the movie relied on recreating too many scenes from the original film. They should have gotten the guy who directed TCM and F13 to do it. Overall, I have to say I enjoyed the remake for the atmosphere, soundtrack, and JEH's Freddy. But Nancy was boring, they ripped off too many original scenes, and the dreams could of been better.

Anyway, back to F13! To bad we aren't getting a movie this year, it's 2013 afterall. It would've been easy marketing. Not to mention there is a Friday the 13th in September which is a month before Halloween so it would've been even better marketing.

24. Mace Dolex Powerful User

Yeah I'd imagine a starving actor/actress would take any part available, who did she think she was, Meryl effin' Streep?

25. Thundarr Registered

Totally agreed here. I could almost even accept a sequel to the Platinum Dunes Friday The 13th remake, if it were to come out September 13, 2013. I didn't care much for the remake, as they had too many "cool kill shots" to be able to create any suspense, and it's the suspense that makes for a good horror movie. Why is it that no one seems to be able to understand that anymore?

In a way, I'd much prefer it if we got a sequel to the original Paramount timeline. Except they pretty much nuked the proverbial fridge when they brought Jason back as a zombie in Jason Lives.

But I'd kinda like to see a "Survivors United" Friday The 13th movie. Amy Steele and John Furey reprise their roles as Ginny & Paul (I know Paul was supposed to have died in Part 2, but I never interpreted the ending like that so screw it, he's alive). Dana Kimmel, the actress who played Chris in Part 3, reprises her role as Chris. Corey Feldman reprises his role as Tommy Jarvis from The Final Chapter, as does Kimberly Beck the actress who played his sister Trish. Then Melanie Kinnamen, the actress who played Pam, and Shevar Ross, who played Reggie in A New Beginning also reprise their characters from Part 5. If you really want to maintain the whole "Zombie Jason" timeline, then you can even bring back Jennifer Cooke as Megan from Jason Lives and Lar Park Lincoln's character Tina from The New Blood (as well as the guy who played her boyfriend in that movie). I would just rather ignore the very existance of Jason Takes Manhatten if that's okay with you. They return to Crystal Lake in order to "face their demons" and move on beyond their collective experiences with Jason. But Jason shows up and tries to take his revenge on all those who had defeated him in the past.

Throw in some horny, pot smokin', beer drinkin' teens as machete fodder and you've got yourself a movie!

Although, to be perfectly honest (and I can't believe I'm writing this myself), but I think that the truly best way to go is to have Paramount, Steve Miner, and Sean S. Cunningham do their own reboot of the franchise. Do a proper remake of the original, with Mrs Voorhees as the killer. Make enough changes so as to not be a frame by frame reproduction of the original (a'la Psycho), but at the same time use enough classic kill shots that it's not an entirely different movie. My vote is for the Kevin Bacon arrow through the neck scene. That has GOT to stay in. I'd also make a few minor changes to the new movie, improvements that were slightly overlooked in the original. For example, I'd have the actress playing Mrs Voorhees in the background in the coffee shop scene where Annie asks where Camp Crystal Lake is. I'd also have her jeep parked outside. One common complaint I've heard about the original is that it was too obvious that Betsy Palmer was the killer. That her character shows up out of nowhere in the last 20 minutes of the movie, so you're like "Okay, so she's the killer", and the whole surprise is ruined. Just a simple little thing like having her in the cafe turning and looking at Annie as she mentions Camp Crystal Lake is all that's needed to fix this one minor problem.

If they do end up doing this, I'd like to see one of the original actors play a minor role in the new version. Maybe cast Kevin Bacon as Steve Christy. Or Adrienne King as Pamela Voorhees. Maybe Ari Lehman can play the motorcycle cop who was looking for Crazy Ralph, or even play Crazy Ralph himself (although I think that role should probably go to one of the other, older actors, like the guy who played Ned). Maybe even get Betsy Palmer to play the role of the woman working in the cafe who asks Enis to give Annie a ride to the crossroads.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Agree or disagree if you like.

#75 Thundarr, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013