How New Line Cinema Destroyed the Friday the 13th Franchise

I'm a huge fan of the series and I did like parts of the remake it's better than most modern horror remakes but honestly Jason fits so well in the 80's its tough to see him in modern day for some reason.

I never understood the hatred for the F13th remake. I loved the whole idea of essentially condensing the first three original films into one, and Derek Mears had a great presence as Jason. And I got exactly why he held Jared character's sister captive instead of killing her. She looks like his mother with she was her age. I thought was pretty clear to everyone.

And on a pervy note, one of the actresses had a great set of natural boobs. :-)

I didn't have a problem with the whole kidnapping Jared's sister storyline either. I thought it was an interesting twist, and if you remember more of the original series than just the gratuitous sex and violence, it's not 100% out of character for Jason to do so (Part 2, Ginny puts on Pamela's sweater and makes Jason think his mother has been resurrected. I see the kidnapping as simply an extension of that concept). I also liked Derek Mears' portrayal of Jason. I always thought Jason was scarrier when he was still human and was running after his victims.

However I found the characters rather unlikeable. The deaths were all very predictable (nicely shot, just predictable). The predictable deaths made the movie lack any suspense. All in all, it just wasn't very scary. And when you make a scary movie, your primary goal is to actually SCARE your audience. So in that regard, it was an epic fail.

I will agree that the women were hot as hell. Unfortunately that wasn't enough to save this movie in my eyes.

I've been saying that FOR YEARS!!!!!!!

Blinky Productions have done a couple of short fan films about Freddy before he got burned that are pretty good. And I think the actor they got to play Freddy did a really good job as well. Shows you the potential a feature length version of Freddy's story has though.

I'm just grateful that we even got FvJ. I doubt they will ever do a sequel, unless it's JEH vs Derek Mears. I would do anything to see Englund as Freddy just one more time.

After Freddy vs. Jason, I remember the rumor about a sequel was to bring in Michael Myers or Pumpkinhead and then Ash (from Evil Dead) as the protagonist.

I still can't believe FvJ didn't end up as a classic. I mean there you had two of the all-time most iconic slashers in the genre and what we got had more comedic beats than horror. Damn shame if you ask me. Only thing cool about it was the first time you got to see them occupy the same cinematic space. After that it was just boring.

Last edited:
i'm not sure where the 'next' Friday the 13th film can go unless they bring in the TV show conceit of cursed objects, and the hockey mask is just one of them.. the post-Scream treatment of these films has backed creative types into a corner when it comes to portraying how contrived a scenario can you have to strand a group of sex-minded teens/young adults. The Cabin in the Woods totally turned the genre on its head.

jason is a zombie with a mask, but instead of biting he hacks people. Personality wise, there's nothing to work with, so you have to depend on the humans, and frequently, in these films the writing doesn't present any particularly intelligent, likeable characters at all. Nearly everyone is some form of a narcissistic twit, bully, know-it-all, or dimwit.

After Freddy vs. Jason, I remember the rumor about a sequel was to bring in Michael Myers or Pumpkinhead and then Ash (from Evil Dead) as the protagonist.

I still can't believe FvJ didn't end up as a classic. I mean there you had two of the all-time most iconic slashers in the genre and what we got had more comedic beats than horror. Damn shame if you ask me. Only thing cool about it was the first time you got to see them occupy the same cinematic space. After that it was just boring.

I wish they'd bring Pumpkinhead in just to see the reactions from the 80% of the mainstream audience (or more) that doesn't have a clue who he is. :)

Same with Ash for alot of them probably.

i'm not sure where the 'next' Friday the 13th film can go unless they bring in the TV show conceit of cursed objects, and the hockey mask is just one of them.. the post-Scream treatment of these films has backed creative types into a corner when it comes to portraying how contrived a scenario can you have to strand a group of sex-minded teens/young adults. The Cabin in the Woods totally turned the genre on its head.

jason is a zombie with a mask, but instead of biting he hacks people. Personality wise, there's nothing to work with, so you have to depend on the humans, and frequently, in these films the writing doesn't present any particularly intelligent, likeable characters at all. Nearly everyone is some form of a narcissistic twit, bully, know-it-all, or dimwit.

I think the only way to bring Friday The 13th back is to do another straight up reboot, but this time do it properly. Make the story more about the campers than the killer. Make the campers actually likeable. In the original, there was always at least one character someone in the audience can relate to. Either they're like that themselves, or they know someone who is. You've got the take charge jock types like Bill, the total goofballs like Ned, the party girls like Brenda, the shy types like Alice. They're likeable enough that you're rooting for the victims, but not so likeable that you feel cheated when they die. Me? I'm shy and artistic, kinda like Alice, but I also grew up in a heavily wooded area and am an experienced camper, making me somewhat like Bill as well. And I know plenty of people who are like Ned, Bill, and Jack. I only wish I knew more women like Brenda.

Once you've got a likeable cast of victims, then you have to work on building SUSPENSE. It's the suspense that makes or breaks any horror movie. Those that have an abundance of it generally are well received by the public. Those that lack suspense are generally despised. So make it suspenseful. The first three Friday the 13th films did a masterful job of building suspense. One of the tools they used to do this was the fact they didn't show you the killer until the very end. You would see his/her hand as the act is being committed, but never the killer, until much later in the film. Then by keeping the number of kills relatively low (I'd say about 12 or less), you can pace the film and spend a great deal of time building suspense.

I could care less if the killer is Pamela Voorhees, Jason Voorhees, Elias Voorhees, or Roy Burns. If they follow through with this formula, they should be able to resurrect the franchise. If not . . . Michael Bay's Friday The 13th anyone?

I wish they'd bring Pumpkinhead in just to see the reactions from the 80% of the mainstream audience (or more) that doesn't have a clue who he is. :)

Here's the information about the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash .... (a link to the official screenplay treatment is in there as well)

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...cinema-was-developing-freddy-vs-jason-vs-ash/

It went the comic book route after the decision was made to reboot the Evil Dead movies and therefore Ash could no longer get sold to New Line Cinema.

I loved Freddy VS Jason, I thought it was awesome.

I didn't love Freddy vs Jason, but I did enjoy it. The actual fight between the two horror icons at least. The rest of the movie? Meh, it was okay.

What are your thoughts on the remake? I think it gets too much hate since to me it seemed it respected the first 3 which were the best of the series.

i don't think it was disrespectful to the old franchise. i enjoyed it for what it was; far better than the Nightmare on Elm Street retelling.

i'm a diehard Pumpkinhead fan. i'm not sure that i could handle that level of cool.

Keep away from pumpkinhead, unless you're tired of living

his enemies are mostly dead, he's mean and unforgiving!

he's been replaced by Victor Crowley/Hatchet (now on its third installment).

I didn't love Freddy vs Jason, but I did enjoy it. The actual fight between the two horror icons at least. The rest of the movie? Meh, it was okay.
It always felt more like the later NOES films with the corny tone, FVJ never felt like a F13th film to me, except maybe for a few minutes in the beginning.

Freddy had to be the main guy since he's the one with the personality. But Jason gets a lot of screentime and things to do, Hell he gets all of the kills, Freddy only kills one person.

Jason Lives was really the last Friday the 13th movie that had any likeable characters. It was honestly the first Friday movie where not one character annoyed me. They all looked like they were having fun with their roles which I credit to the director. It's a shame Tom McLoughlin never directed another.

Jason Lives is my favourite. 1-4 are good. 5 doesn't count. 7 is alright. 8 & 9 are horrible. Jason X is fun. I love FvJ. I really like the remake too.

Last edited:
Jason Lives was really the last Friday the 13th movie that had any likeable characters. It was honestly the first Friday movie where not one character annoyed me. They all looked like they were having fun with their roles which I credit to the director. It's a shame Tom McLoughlin never directed another.

I'd agree with this. It's just too bad Tom McLoughlin got stuck making a Friday The 13th movie so late in the series. He had a pretty good handle on the series.

I never heard anything about Pumpkinhead, only Pinhead.

One of the endings for FvJ was going to have them going down to hell and just about to fight again when Pinhead pulls them apart with chains. New Line didn't have the rights and couldn't be bothered getting them.

After the success of FvJ, Dimension was going to do Michael vs. Pinhead, but, of course, that never happened.

That's a shame. Seeing Ash kick Freddy and Jason's arses would be awesome. :woot:

No doubt. Ash would've been more fun to watch than having to deal with anymore of those stupid teenagers as the central characters. The idea of Freddy and Jason together in a movie is amazing, but Ash just puts it over the top.

No doubt. Ash would've been more fun to watch than having to deal with anymore of those stupid teenagers as the central characters. The idea of Freddy and Jason together in a movie is amazing, but Ash just puts it over the top.

The movie has to have some horny teens so they can show their ****. :up:

Last edited:
I never heard anything about Pumpkinhead, only Pinhead.

One of the endings for FvJ was going to have them going down to hell and just about to fight again when Pinhead pulls them apart with chains. New Line didn't have the rights and couldn't be bothered getting them.

After the success of FvJ, Dimension was going to do Michael vs. Pinhead, but, of course, that never happened.

There's a two part fan film on You Tube that's kinda like that. It's called "The Nightmare Ends On Halloween". It starts with Freddy trying to recruit Michael to pick up where Jason left off. Michael's uninterested, so Freddy gets angry and smashes his Jack'o'lantern. This pisses Michael off and they start fighting. Then a door opens and Jason comes out. Then another door opens and out steps Leatherface. Then a third door opens and Pinhead steps out. In Part 2, Pinhead forces Freddy to fight eack of the other maniacs one on one on their home turf. By the time he gets back to Pinhead, his glove is gone and he's no longer burned. His soul is then "sentenced to death by a jury of his peers." It was quite well done for a fan film, done by Blinky Productions.

The movie has to have some horny teens so they can show their ****. :up:

Agreed! :up: Something like the skinny dipping scene in The Final Chapter would be awesome. Plus/Or the love scene in the tent from Jason Goes To Hell (unrated version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"