Hulk smash ABC! ‘Incredible’ revival heads to TV

I found the video link of the same interview from above. I was thrilled to hear Del Toro mention Greg Pak's run along with Loeb's. Greg Pak's characterizations of the different Hulk incarnations are truer than Loeb's, who got a few wrong. Savage Hulk does NOT "Me am Hulk." NO NO NOOO!!! and Gravage/Green Scar does not speak like Bruce Banner or want to recognize his connection to Banner at all...except that he recognizes their parents Brian and Rebecca, wife, ex's and friends.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/08/12/hulk-tv-show-guillermo-del-toro/

here's something I posted on another board about Hulk and his insane power levels -

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
That's an interesting theory, but I must confess, that the only justification I need to believe that Hulk can reach insane levels of power, is from the phrase that Marvel has been saying about him for 50 years, the madder he gets the stronger he gets and there is no limit to his anger.

When I first started reading Hulk comics around 1978-79, that was the phrase that stuck with me the most, as I'm sure it did most die-hard Hulk fans. I remember when I first read issue #242 where Hulk is fighting Tyrannus who had possession of the power of the Eternal Flame. In that issue the Hulk does something that the narration described as simply being impossible by all accounts, an angered Hulk tried to get his hands on Tyrannus who was within the field of the Flame, and was able to grab hold of something intangible, as if it were tangible. The field of energy blew up and I think it sent Hulk flying back. There was a Celestial present and the event even took hold of his curiosity if only for a second. That issue was one of the first Hulk comics I've read over and over until the spine was coming apart. Hulk has always been that character that can do the impossible. In many of the old Savage Hulk stories, the narration tells us Hulk shouldn't be able to do thus and thus, but as far as Hulk concerned it wouldn't matter.

All that to say Hulk has more going on with his physiology than most care to try to understand. It was either Roy Thomas or Roger Stern who said that gamma mutates are an expression of their repressed memories(thoughts). Bill Mantlo stated that Hulk is Banner's survival instinct, Paul Jenkins stated Hulk is Banner's self defense mechanism externalized (think about that), and Pak stated that Hulk has calculated attacks even in his Savage Hulk form due to Bruce Banner having an a ability similar to Amedeus Cho, being able to calculate on his surroundings. That being said, it's my belief that when the very corporeal Banner transforms to Hulk, the calculating creative mind of Bruce Banner becomes the incorporeal instinct, while the instinctive incorporeal survival apparatus becomes the very corporeal self.

What am I getting at? Hulk has many abilities that by all intents and purposes are illogical (because they are and so is every other character with super powers), but imagine that when Banner unleashes the gamma irradiated Hulk, he's releasing an intangible part of himself only its tangible and amped up to the most extreme levels of function...The part of the human 'soul' that regenerates cuts and bruises without you controlling or telling it to do so, the part of the human 'soul' that has no doubt no fear because the mind that stops it from progressing has become the quiet subconscious calculating instinct. The part of the human 'soul' that only believes in mind over matter and knows and can be convinced of nothing else. The part of the 'soul' that's eternal and refuses or can't die, because it doesn't knows no limits.

I was actually going to start a post, as I have a lot of free time now up til October, and invite my board buddies Ygor and Don P. and anyone else wanting to entertain the mechanics of the Hulk Banner relationship. You're invited when I do.
smile.gif

As far as the gamma energy and Hulk becoming an elemental force, there are many schools of thought, real world school of thought that conflicts with the Western Worlds theories and laws of science. There are esoteric and occult beliefs of the power of man and his true nature and goal in life. I'm not going to get too far into it on this board, as it puzzles me, that one act done by a particular character is silly, far-fetched or ridiculous, when if done by another character, its fine. There is an occult (secret) saying that states "Gods are immortal Men and Men are mortal Gods." Hulk's metaphor is liken to Prometheus, who stole fire from the gods and gave it to men. Which means he got it unjustly. Banner messing with science, and possibly himself, released a destructive power, that maybe he was unworthy of, and because of it the same power courses through his being and making his life a living hell. He's hunted and hounded and can never find peace. This power called Hulk. We have been told many times in various comics, Banner's other self Hulk, is...A Force of Nature...Cool Huh...only that power can not be controlled because...it's a Force of Nature...Hulk being a creature of Gamma and Cosmic energy, taps into these fields of unlimited power, which drives the beast to higher destructive planes of existence with said connection to the universe. There are schools of thought that suggest we all have higher 'bodies' that connect us to the entire universe when we reach the proper mindset, giving man great abilities, untold to the unlearned.

But anyway I'll leave you with this, I posted it on this board once...I thought it was interesting...Tell me what you think. Suppose Banner did what this guy is talking about...

Paradox And Power of Gamma Rays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTr4QQ1dw8&feature=relmfu

[/FONT]

I don't like the idea of wanting to mimick Smallville like they mentioned. I don't want Bruce getting emo with Betty each week that relationship was the weakest part of the last two films.

I hope there are plenty of sexy women and violent fights in the show.. There should be a globe-trotting focus. visiting different cities across the world. it can start off in the USA, but the show should also hit Latin America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, Greenland/Canada..

If anyone comes across the Red Hulk rumor in Del Toro's and Eick's outline, according to Del Toro's website it's a lie.

As for the show, I hope Banner will initially be stationed in a desert setting but as the season's go on globtrotting would be nice. Betty is supposed to be his love interest, but I'd like to see Kate Waynesboro, Marlo Chandler and other love interests as well.

I hope there are plenty of sexy women and violent fights in the show.. There should be a globe-trotting focus. visiting different cities across the world. it can start off in the USA, but the show should also hit Latin America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia, Greenland/Canada..
This is not James Bond

If anyone comes across the Red Hulk rumor in Del Toro's and Eick's outline, according to Del Toro's website it's a lie.

Thank you for preventing me from having a conniption.

I'm really waiting to hear more on this show. Hulk has such a complex and varied mythos with so many different variations and Hulk story lines from the comics that have never been explored aside from a few cartoons. All we have ever had in terms of live action is "Hulk smash" and I for one am ready for something more.

I'm really waiting to hear more on this show. Hulk has such a complex and varied mythos with so many different variations and Hulk story lines from the comics that have never been explored aside from a few cartoons. All we have ever had in terms of live action is "Hulk smash" and I for one am ready for something more.
Agreed. Hopefully they don't mess it up.

As for the show, I hope Banner will initially be stationed in a desert setting but as the season's go on globtrotting would be nice. Betty is supposed to be his love interest, but I'd like to see Kate Waynesboro, Marlo Chandler and other love interests as well.

And 'the Man' himslf replied to your post:

by GDT on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

We've been coming up with an angle that is really strong. I am a fan of Peter David, Pak and Loeb but I like very much what individual writers and artists have done through the decades. I only gravitate to "monster" superheroes- (Blade, Hellboy, Deadman, Hulk-) because I have no interest on the straight ones -even when I've been offered the keys to the kingdom.

Hope you enjoy what you hear!!

G
GDT

Well considering Hellboy was a "monster" and had a personality etc, maybe that bodes well for Hulk actually speaking and being a character of his own, instead of just a plot device.

Thank you for preventing me from having a conniption.

I don't want to see Red Hulk in the show at first, but I wouldn't mind if he was used as an enemy a few seasons in.

Can you post a link to his website?

I'm not sure if that is a violation of this board, but it can be found on DelToroFilms.com.

And 'the Man' himslf replied to your post:

by GDT on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

We've been coming up with an angle that is really strong. I am a fan of Peter David, Pak and Loeb but I like very much what individual writers and artists have done through the decades. I only gravitate to "monster" superheroes- (Blade, Hellboy, Deadman, Hulk-) because I have no interest on the straight ones -even when I've been offered the keys to the kingdom.

Hope you enjoy what you hear!!

G
GDT

That was cool of him. I was there earlier. I always respect the creators who take time out to chat with the fans.

Stigm...I mean Gamma B...I mean Odinson I have no fear we will be truly blessed. :woot:

Well considering Hellboy was a "monster" and had a personality etc, maybe that bodes well for Hulk actually speaking and being a character of his own, instead of just a plot device.

In interviews, Dell Toro has stated that they are sticking closer to the comic book than the original television show, and he noted David's, Pak's and Loeb's runs as inspiration for the many incarnations that are possible.

A lot of die-hard Hulk fans put in their vote for Del Toro to direct the Hulk when 2008 Incredible Hulk movie was announced.

Last edited:
I don't want to see Red Hulk in the show at first, but I wouldn't mind if he was used as an enemy a few seasons in.

I'm not sure if that is a violation of this board, but it can be found on DelToroFilms.com.

That was cool of him. I was there earlier. I always respect the creators who take time out to chat with the fans.

Stigm...I mean Gamma B...I mean Odinson I have no fear we will be truly blessed. :woot:

:woot:We will. And I do have an awful lot of screen names.

In interviews, Dell Toro has stated that they are sticking closer to the comic book than the original television show, and he noted David's, Pak's and Loeb's runs as inspiration for the many incarnations that are possible.

A lot of die-hard Hulk fans put in their vote for Del Toro to direct the Hulk when 2008 Incredible Hulk movie was announced.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with, but while he might lean in the direction of the comics, I can't imagine the can do justice to the comics on a TV budget and TV schedule.

If anyone can do justice to te comics, it has to be Del Toro.

:up:

In terms of putting something compelling on the small screen, I can't think of a name I would rather have attached.

I'd love to see what Peter Jackson would do with a big-budget film version, but give me Del Toro if it needs to meet a budget and still be cool.

To save on TV budget, and since a CGI Hulk will never be convincing nor a man painted green work anymore, Del Toro should just adapt the storyline from Iron Man #131-132 where it is the Hulk's brain trapped in Banner's body, making him "The Incredible Banner". :D

Then whoever the actor is can just play the character all the time, and it will only be a mental transformation, not a physical one. :funny:

I'm sure everyone will agree with me that this is the best solution.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with, but while he might lean in the direction of the comics, I can't imagine the can do justice to the comics on a TV budget and TV schedule.

I think they'll come up with something. Del Toro has said that has been a real challenge, but I know whatever it is, it won't be junk. I think they will rely heavy on Hulk's characterizations with a few major destruction scenes here and there for budget reasons.

I think they'll go back to the effects used in the late 90's and early 2000's. I saw a vid of the work Steve Johnson was doing for the Hulk. Other than him being too big, I thought it was awesome.

[YT]v=_rGQZDYNpa4[/YT]

Last edited:
A smart use of prosthetics and animatronic should do the trick. As I've said, Del Toro is the right man to pull it off.;)

A smart use of prosthetics and animatronic should do the trick. As I've said, Del Toro is the right man to pull it off.;)

:up:

Plus some minimal CGI at points. I may be the only one old enough to remember the original Hulk TV pilot, but one of the coolest moments was when the Hulk was in the chamber punching out sections and the viewer couldn't really see him . . . but just had a frightening sense of his strength.

Similarly when he first shows up at the bottling plant in the latest film. We only get glimpses of him but we see his power from the way he throws things around.

If done right, the less we actually see of him, the more powerful and frightening he will seem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"