Hulk smash ABC! ‘Incredible’ revival heads to TV

A smart use of prosthetics and animatronic should do the trick. As I've said, Del Toro is the right man to pull it off.;)

I think so too. The creative team on this is top notch.

Who’s ready for another Hulk TV series?

Marvel and ABC are developing a TV return for comic icon the Incredible Hulk. CBS last produced a memorable series featuring the jade giant that ran from 1978-82 and starred Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.

The news comes as DC Comics heroine Wonder Woman, who had a TV series during the 1970s, is also being prepped for a return to the small screen.
Hulk is one of two projects that are priorities at Marvel Television, Marvel Studio’s TV division, which has been operating under the radar since Jeph Loeb took the reins at the end of June.

The second hot property is "Cloak and Dagger," which is being developed for ABC Family.

Both are in the early stages of development; Hulk has a “showrunner wanted” placard around its neck. ABC had no comment. Meanwhile, Loeb is meeting with writers to hear ideas for "Cloak and Dagger."

Marvel began narrowing it list of possible TV adaptations in May with a presentation on the Disney lot. Executives presented ABC suits with a list of titles they identified as possible series:

• "Heroes for Hire" (focusing on ex-con Luke Cage offering to take on bad guys for a price);

• "The Eternals" (a race of superpowered beings live amid humanity in secret, inspiring legends);

• "Agents of Atlas, Alter Ego" (private investigator Jessica Jones takes on cases involving superhumans);

• "Moon Knight, the Red Hood" (a low-rent criminal discovers a cloak that gives him superpowers);

• "Ka-Zar" (a Tarzan-type and his saber-toothed tiger must journey to the concrete jungle to seek justice);

• "Daughters of the Dragon" (a dynamic female duo, one with a bionic arm and the other a granddaughter of a samurai, open a private-detective agency); and

• "The Punisher" (one man wages a war on crime; already adapted as two feature films).

Ironically, "Cloak and Dagger" wasn’t on the list. (Hulk was.)

Although the focus appears to be on "Hulk" and "Cloak and Dagger," "Punisher" also has been selected from the herd and is eyed as a cable play, but that is even further away. Marvel’s TV division wants to take things slow, according to insiders, focusing on one or two shows, making sure they are the best they can be and establishing a quality brand before moving forward.

Marvel is in the middle of establishing a shared universe with its movies (the pics and the characters form one big story), but it’s unknown whether the studio will undertake a similar path with TV. Also unknown is whether there would be a connection between the film world and TV world.

David Schwimmer would be a PERFECT Hulk.

A smart use of prosthetics and animatronic should do the trick. As I've said, Del Toro is the right man to pull it off.;)

I think so too. They were getting really believibly realistic with the animatronics before CGI took off.

:up:

Plus some minimal CGI at points. I may be the only one old enough to remember the original Hulk TV pilot, but one of the coolest moments was when the Hulk was in the chamber punching out sections and the viewer couldn't really see him . . . but just had a frightening sense of his strength.

Similarly when he first shows up at the bottling plant in the latest film. We only get glimpses of him but we see his power from the way he throws things around.

If done right, the less we actually see of him, the more powerful and frightening he will seem.

In certain scenes that could work, but I want to see the Hulk smash.

David Schwimmer would be a PERFECT Hulk.

He's too old. They are going for a younger actor in his mid twenties.

:up:

Plus some minimal CGI at points. I may be the only one old enough to remember the original Hulk TV pilot, but one of the coolest moments was when the Hulk was in the chamber punching out sections and the viewer couldn't really see him . . . but just had a frightening sense of his strength.

Similarly when he first shows up at the bottling plant in the latest film. We only get glimpses of him but we see his power from the way he throws things around.

If done right, the less we actually see of him, the more powerful and frightening he will seem.

Don't worry,you're not the only one old enough.:word: Both scenes were very well executed,and ,yes, when done right, less is more.

I think a Luke Cage/Jessica Jones TV series would be very successful. You've got the private investigator angle and the potential for all kinds of UST (and eventual romance). That's pretty much perfect for the average American TV show nowadays. Then you throw in the superpowers, and that gives it that little bit extra that separates it from the pack.

I'd rather the Hulk remain on the big screen, at least for the time being.

I think so too. The creative team on this is top notch.

I'm hoping that Del Toro's involvement will encourage ABC to really invest in this and make it something worth watching.

Network television has been becoming irrelevant and I hope they make a stand with this to show that it's still possible to create shows that people will want to tune in each week.

:bh:

I'm hoping that Del Toro's involvement will encourage ABC to really invest in this and make it something worth watching.

Network television has been becoming irrelevant and I hope they make a stand with this to show that it's still possible to create shows that people will want to tune in each week.

:bh:

I agree. I also hope with all that we will get a top notch cast and not a "smallville" type show. Even if he's young it doesn't have to be one of "those" shows.

There have been many great actors going the television/cable route lately. I hear Tim Roth's schedule is open now. :awesome:

I recently joined DelToroFilms (I'm "StrongestOneThereIs " over there). Hopefully we get some cool stuff from Del Toro.

In other news, ABC has decided to develop a Jekyll and Hyde show. I think that's a bit redundant.

Hopefully after the Avengers movie runs most of its course, we'll get an update.

Hopefully after the Avengers movie runs most of its course, we'll get an update.

I'm praying to the gamma gods that this is the case. I want to know once and for all are they going for a show or are they holding out to see if another movie is still a viable option.

Marvel are doing this wrong, after Avengers, making another Hulk movie would be a good idea, instead they are foolishly pursuing the TV series development.

I'm praying to the gamma gods that this is the case. I want to know once and for all are they going for a show or are they holding out to see if another movie is still a viable option.

It's possible that we could get both. If the Hulk makes a big impact in the Avengers to the point people are really talking, believe me Disney will try to capitalize with another film.

The show was first said to have no ties to the movieverse, but I've read an ambiguous statement from Loeb somewhere, so I'm not sure. But I pray it is not in the same universe as I still want a gamma bomb origin as there are so many fun elements and possible stories that can derive from it.

Marvel are doing this wrong, after Avengers, making another Hulk movie would be a good idea, instead they are foolishly pursuing the TV series development.

I think Feige's Guardians of the Galaxy movie comment was just said to leave room for a possible Hulk movie, if the audience's reaction and desire for his return is there. He said that they said all they wanted to say about Hulk on the big screen...yet they left us with a cliffhanger after TIH with the Leader. So, pinch me if I dreaming or reaching.

It's possible that we could get both. If the Hulk makes a big impact in the Avengers to the point people are really talking, believe me Disney will try to capitalize with another film.

The show was first said to have no ties to the movieverse, but I've read an ambiguous statement from Loeb somewhere, so I'm not sure. But I pray it is not in the same universe as I still want a gamma bomb origin as there are so many fun elements and possible stories that can derive from it.

Oh definitely; we could finally get Rick Jones for one thing :up:

I wouldn't mind 2 separate Hulk media continuities running concurrent. If Superman could do it so could the Hulk. The more Hulk we get the better.

Oh definitely; we could finally get Rick Jones for one thing :up:

One of the key elements desperately missing from the two solo films, as Rick should have been Hulk's voice to the world to let them know...Hey he's not a bad guy really...you just have to get past his disgruntled attitude is all...:word:

I wouldn't mind 2 separate Hulk media continuities running concurrent. If Superman could do it so could the Hulk. The more Hulk we get the better.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Matthew Gray Gubler as Bruce Banner?

Stephen Lang or David Keith as Thunderbolt Ross

Last edited:
Ted Levine as Thunderbolt Ross

mustachestedlevinemonk1.jpg
Also a great choice. :up:

Last edited:
I haven't read Heroes For Hire or Daughters of the Dragon but I'm familiar with the characters...I think they should merge both shows under Heroes For Hire with Luke Cage, Misty Knight, Coleen Wing and Iron Fist or Shang Chi as private investigators.

There wouldn't be a lot of need for special effects depending on who they were dealing with in an episode. Superhuman powers, suspense, mystery and drama would make for a TV series I think people would dig.

As for cast, I don't think Isaiah Mustafah would make a good Cage...I know he's been campaigning for that role. Cage needs to have a hard edge to him that Mustafa doesn't have IMHO. Henry Simmons comes to mind and Terry Crews seem like better choices.

I could see Gabrielle Union as a possible Misty Knight. I would want Tichina Arnold or even Wendy Raquel Robinson...but I think they may be too old for the role now.

Exactly. Every episode would not call for major destruction on any of the Marvel Television Shows.

Again if Heroes can do it...

This is probably not gonna happen.

Marvel makes so much money with their movies. Why go to TV now?

This is probably not gonna happen.

Marvel makes so much money with their movies. Why go to TV now?

Did you read the Forbes article that is going around on these boards. It's all but a done deal that we will get more Hulk solo movies and a television show.

Disney owning Marvel is a huge push to making this a reality.

I think Marvel is trying TV because its a logical angle of expansion. If it works, it works, and if it doesn't, the sunk costs are less than for a movie ( even expensive HBO original series like Game of Thrones cost a lot less than 150 million ).

Well, the idea is to do a Television show and other solo movies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"