• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm Reading Your Stuff: General News and Discussion Thread

I will say that the Reeves Universe just feels very lost/out of place in the shuffle of what DC/WB has decided to do with its direction going forward.

I will say that the Reeves Universe just feels very lost/out of place in the shuffle of what DC/WB has decided to do with its direction going forward.
I mean, who cares? There's a massive chance it'll be significantly more successful than the direction DC/WB have decided they're going in for the next five minutes until the first thing goes wrong, they panic and everything changes. The Elseworlds projects are both safer bets than anything announced for the DCU.

Eh...not to be a downer, but I don't think The Batman had much cultural staying power. And I'm saying this as a fan.

As a fan, it bummed me out that it felt like by late April and May - the film was out of sight, out of mind in pop culture.

Spider-Man: No Way Home would take the cake as far as staying power since Joker. That film was a phenomenon.
To each their own, but this is pretty much the only recent superhero film I ever see brought up online. No way home kind of feels like it came and went

Eh? Idk about that. It has a spin-off show coming that they'll likely push for the lead acting Emmy while also giving it's head creative even more time to craft his film.

While I don't disagree that "The Batman" didn't have the cultural impact for some reason, I'm taking the glass half full approach on it.

I think BvS and Justice league did a lot of harm to the brand. It was also another reboot to the character. The fact that it managed to get 770 million (don't forget covid restrictions were still in place) is nothing short of a miracle.

Internally they were probably happy with the results. It's also the first time a director seemed keen to Sheppard a universe. Nolan, I always felt was one foot out the door.

With all this time in between superman and the batman part II, I also think it gives Gunn and Reeves to reassess what's going on. Also, WB may be bought out in the next year or so.

I just read the news of the date getting pushed back again. Immediately ran here to see what was being discussed.

I did like the first film; I've also talked about my personal feelings of the film overall being kind of "surreal" and not fully understanding why or what causes that feeling of mine.

But seeing the discussion here is showing me parallels to that surreal feeling of mine. Again, I did enjoy The Batman, but I suppose the timing of it came at a weird time. Like... we know originally, it was supposed to be Affleck's solo Batman film. Then it was announced Affleck is gone, then back again and gone again. Then here comes Keaton. Then Boom its like The Flash will have both Affleck and Keaton as Batman and The Batman will be released with Robert Pattinson and will be a solo unrelated outting. Oh, and also, there is a Batgirl movie coming set in the Keaton Universe and Keaton will be Batman. Then Boom, that movie is finished filming, but we are not going to release it. (Not necessarily in that order of course but hopefully you get my point.)

With all that drama and fiasco that was already going on at WB, this just added to further confusion for some. So I can definitely understand the "lost/out of place" comment that wings made.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don’t think it’s anymore dramatic than script issues and sound stage scheduling issues. But we’ll see. A few thoughts I have

I’m with whoever in here said that TBATB is irrelevant and probably not even a real movie that will really get made. I have little confidence the DCU will be financially lucrative enough to sustain that long and I’m actually pretty suspect that the whole endeavor could be dead and scrapped by 10/26 and certainly by 2028 when it’s “maybe” coming out. Gunn and Safrans contracts are up in 2026. If Superman and supergirl or swamp thing or whatever flop by then it won’t be renewed you can bet on that. And I think them flopping is not beyond the realm of reality. In fact I think it’s firmly in the realm of reality

Shifting over to the movie at hand it’ll be interesting to see how normies respond at the box office. I was confident with 2025 it should see a healthy increase to 800M-850M and beyond but I don’t think it had that palpable punch to the zeitgeist to sustain almost 5 years of interest. Time will tell. It does seem something, (beyond the strikes) is a little amiss behind the scenes given Dylan Clarks comment about how the sequel won’t take 5 years.

Personally? I’ll just be honest. I don’t think these films are worth these waits. They’re good. Even pretty good. But how long the first took and it was just kind of okay to me. Nothing wrong with it at all just kind of tepid I guess. Didn’t like it as much as burtons duology and nowhere near as much as Nolan’s trilogy. Not even the same league frankly. And now this? 2026? For our clayface hush movie that is certain to feature a cameo from the dreadful Barry keogn Joker? Eh. I dunno. I mean it’ll be badass and I’ll be in theaters opening weekend but all these years of my 20s for a Matt reeves Batman movie is not really preferable. I just don’t think the script quality is THAT high to justify these time frames.

Oh well. I will look forward to enjoying the new caped Crusader show, and about 3 black label Batman comics im hyped for in the meantime. Maybe if I’m lucky a new Batman game too in the wake of suicide squad flopping

I don't need this film to have a purpose in the greater canon/continuity, I just want it to have it's own conclusion. The only reason it is out of place with the DCU is because of it's own success relative to all the other DC movies that were coming out around the same time (and since then). They could have decided to put a halt to the sequel because of the DCU, but instead we get to see more of the world Reeves has created. That's more than enough for me.

The delay definitely sux from my POV as a fan eagerly anticipating what comes next .

But , it is what it is , and given Spiderman 4, the other film I'm anticipating , is likely gonna come out in 2026 as well, I'm used to waiting.

At least by the time The Batman 2 comes out , it won't be as if a live action Batman films will have saturated the market place.

I highly doubt Brave and Bold will be out by 2026, and the last live action Batman related stuff will presumably be The Penguin series and Joker 2.

Again, trying to look at the bright side of things.

Part of me is worried because Gunn probably wants to launch his batman and realizes that he has this successful and loved version of the character already that is going up against his version.

But also part of me is not worried because this movie is literally the only good DC project in how long that was successful and loved? Except joker as well.

Give reeves the trilogy then have fun with whatever you want gunn

Fun and useless facts :

- When The Batman Part II is released, Robert Pattinson will be only 7 months younger than Ben Affleck was when he was announced as the grumpy old Batman for BvS. (40 years old and 5 months vs. 41 years)
- There will have been two months more between Reeves' signing on to the Batman franchise and the release of The Batman Part II than between Nolan's arrival in the same franchise and the release of his last film for it. (9 years and 8 months vs. 9 years and 6 months)

More to come as I'm obsessed by the passage of time and procrastinate very easily... which is a terrible combo.

Last edited:
Fun and useless facts :

- When The Batman Part II is released, Robert Pattinson will be only 7 months younger than Ben Affleck was when he was announced as the grumpy old Batman for BvS. (40 years old and 5 months vs. 41 years)
- There will have been two months more between Reeves' signing on to the Batman franchise and the release of The Batman Part II than between Nolan's arrival in the same franchise and the release of his last film for it. (9 years and 8 months vs. 9 years and 6 months)

More to come as I'm obsessed by the passage of time and procrastinate very easily...
Yeah see this is what I’m talking about. We’re gonna have a year 3 Batman older than bale was in his last movie

Batman to Batman Returns, 2 classics, 3 year wait. Nolan delivered a whole trilogy AND the prestige AND goddamn inception in the time it’s taking Matt Reeves to make 2 okay Batman movies. Like cmon at a certain point I start to fantasize a world where they gave the job to captain fantastic director Matt Ross instead. (CF is a beautiful film, one of my favorites, if anyone hasn’t seen it put it on your watchlist)

I am deeply cynical about the relationship between the DCU and The Batman but I don't think a delay to another solid release date would be indicative of that.
You're probably right, it can't be helping though if in fact Gunn does indeed want to introduce his own Batman. I am probably wrong but I just get the feeling that the delay is more than just about the script.

What’s the word on Pattinon’s deal being extended for 4 films, in total now?

Yeah see this is what I’m talking about. We’re gonna have a year 3 Batman older than bale was in his last movie

Batman to Batman Returns, 2 classics, 3 year wait. Nolan delivered a whole trilogy AND the prestige AND goddamn inception in the time it’s taking Matt Reeves to make 2 okay Batman movies. Like cmon at a certain point I start to fantasize a world where they gave the job to captain fantastic director Matt Ross instead. (CF is a beautiful film, one of my favorites, if anyone hasn’t seen it put it on your watchlist)
OKAY? SIMPLY OK…

Get out of here with that talk.

So what lol

What does any of that have to do with the production of this entirely separate film though? How does this film hinge on the pace of any other director's? Is Matt Ross prolific now? And one of those "2 okay Batman films" isn't even out yet.

Fun and useless facts :

More to come as I'm obsessed by the passage of time and procrastinate very easily... which is a terrible combo.

Mega oof!

Look, at this point I'll just be happy if we haven't unleashed the AI-pocalypse by the time this movie comes out. :pray:

Christ i dont even want to think of another life altering event delaying this even further.

Sigh what a long ass wait....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"