The Dark Knight In Heath We Trust: A Ledgerbration: The TDK Joker Appreciation Thread - Part 1

Saw this theory from Patton Oswalt's Facebook, and wanted to share it. I love it and think it makes perfect sense.

“I’ve always liked the theory that Heath Ledger’s Joker in Christopher Nolan’s DARK KNIGHT is a war veteran suffering PTSD, But I just re-watched THE DARK KNIGHT, and another wrinkle came to mind about The Joker. What if he’s not only ex-military, but ex-military intelligence? Specifically — interrogation?”

https://www.slashfilm.com/patton-oswalt-the-dark-knight-joker-theory/

His actual post on Facebook goes more into detail than what the article does, but I don't have a link to that.

[YT]YW4sKNwlILo[/YT]

Never heard this interview before. But Oldman is the best.

Saw this theory from Patton Oswalt's Facebook, and wanted to share it. I love it and think it makes perfect sense.

https://www.slashfilm.com/patton-oswalt-the-dark-knight-joker-theory/

His actual post on Facebook goes more into detail than what the article does, but I don't have a link to that.

What I love about Heath Ledger's Joker is that the characters's past is still a mystery and we're left to our imagination to why the Joker is the way he is. Heath Ledger performance as The Joker is my favourite live action Joker and no one has been able to top him yet.

AF5636_D0_481_A_40_C9_A1_DD_52_BE10_D1_A804.jpg

I feel like TDK's portrayal of Joker nails the character in ways that some people don't really seem to notice/appreciate anymore.

Go to any random facebook post on the subject of who's Joker is best , Heath's Joker in general, etc. and you'll tend to see a few people going on about how " KEITH LEDGURR IZ NAHT DA TRUU JOKUR HE JUSS A ANARCHIST IN DA CLOWN MAKEUP " but really, I don't exactly think Heath's Joker truly cared much about the "anarchy " aspect of his ideas/actions, but moreso on the " chaos " aspect. As he says to Harvey, " introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos " . That doesn't exactly sound like someone who wants to "liberate society " or any of that stuff, but is rather using anarchy as a tool to manipulate people into following him and to spreading the chaos he craves, and what truer label would there be for Joker to put on himself other than an "agent of chaos " ?

It's also the one film to truly nail Joker's relationship/obsession with Batman, the lengths he'll go to to even protect his identity, the constant need to push him to see how far he'll go and where his breaking point is, the concept of them being " destined to do this forever " .... All of that sums up Joker and Batman's rivalry to a TEE. In Batman 89, Joker and Batman both wanna bang Vicki Vale and occasionally see eachother as nuisances and it's not until the third act where it truly gets personal. I don't really feel as though they captured the relationship quite as accurately as TDK portrayed, yet some people don't seem to give them credit for that anymore. I guess it's also just edgelords trying to go against the grain in some cases, though.

The character does seem to have some intentional contradictions, particularly that he is sadistic toward his victims and yet he seems to genuinely think that they're as bad as him and chaos is fair, fairer than order and control. If he was genuine about liking chaos for it being fair and having contempt for hypocrisy that would suggest an element of (twisted) morality.

It's also the one film to truly nail Joker's relationship/obsession with Batman, the lengths he'll go to to even protect his identity, the constant need to push him to see how far he'll go and where his breaking point is, the concept of them being " destined to do this forever " .... All of that sums up Joker and Batman's rivalry to a TEE.

I found it a bit unbelievable that he would enjoy the idea of fighting Batman even more than of succeeding with his plans including killing Batman. Although it was interesting that he seemed to genuinely be willing to die in order to corrupt the hero.

He never once said he would enjoy fighting Batman more than succeeding with his plans. Not once. He can break Gotham and still keep fighting Batman. And he specifically stated he didn't want to kill Batman either. Initially he did because he saw him as a nuisance. But then when he actually started to go up against Batman he came to love the challenge he brought him.

A world without Batman where the mob tries to make a profit, and the Cops try to shut them down is in his own words BORING.

In the Joker's words Batman has "changed things forever" and told Batman 'You complete me' which indicates that he believes that Batman has provided him with a purpose. The Joker later on didn't care about the identity of Batman and wanted Coleman Reese killed as it would ruin his game with Batman. The Joker definitely wanted to cause chaos in Gotham but wanted Batman to be alive to see it and prove to Batman that the people in Gotham are beyond saving (The Joker succeeded with Dent).

I appreciate that Nolan decided to keep Joker's obsession/fascination with Batman from the comics.

He can break Gotham and still keep fighting Batman. And he specifically stated he didn't want to kill Batman either.

Believably he would probably have to kill him in order to really succeed in his plans. And with the you complete me comment and (gleefully?) expecting they will be "doing this" forever it suggests he enjoy fighting more than totally winning.

A world without Batman where the mob tries to make a profit, and the Cops try to shut them down is in his own words BORING.

I also thought it didn't really work, though others like it, that he looked down on the other bad guys for being in crime just for money and that the city deserved a better class of criminal. Although if he thinks money and the quest for it is bad, people would be better without it living in chaos that's another sort of warped morality.

I think if the Joker had himself also been greedy for money, at least respectful/appreciative of money rather than disdainful of money that would have made him a more relatable, human villain. He's interesting being pretty much an inhuman freak but I think he would have been more interesting and even disturbing if he had been more relatable while still evil.

Believably he would probably have to kill him in order to really succeed in his plans. And with the you complete me comment and (gleefully?) expecting they will be "doing this" forever it suggests he enjoy fighting more than totally winning.

Based on what? Batman being alive isn't the reason the ferries didn't blow themselves up. Batman being alive didn't stop Joker from corrupting Harvey Dent into murdering a bunch of people.

Yeah obviously he does enjoy fighting Batman. He makes the whole thing fun for him. No Batman around = a boring world for the Joker.

I also thought it didn't really work, though others like it, that he looked down on the other bad guys for being in crime just for money and that the city deserved a better class of criminal. Although if he thinks money and the quest for it is bad, people would be better without it living in chaos that's another sort of warped morality.

In what way didn't it work? Money doesn't interest the Joker. What he wants to do doesn't require bucket loads of cash. Like he said the things he enjoys are cheap to get. Plain and simple.

I think if the Joker had himself also been greedy for money, at least respectful/appreciative of money rather than disdainful of money that would have made him a more relatable, human villain. He's interesting being pretty much an inhuman freak but I think he would have been more interesting and even disturbing if he had been more relatable while still evil.

No offense, but that is rather silly logic for two main reasons;

1. Some of the best villains in cinematic history had no interest in money.
2. A villain doesn't have to be relatable to be a great or believable character. In fact that goes for any character. Not just villains.

Last edited:
He's interesting being pretty much an inhuman freak

Well, I mean, that's.... kinda what the character is, lol

Even in TKJ, the "sympathetic" origin we're given is suggested to be unlikely/untrue, and he does some extremely evil **** to Barbara and Jim so it's hard to feel bad for him

In what way didn't it work? Money doesn't interest the Joker.

Not this version of the character but it does previous (I think better) versions, most real criminals and also the audience. For the audience to not feel there is any relatability to or rationality in the Joker, think he's nothing like them, seems (to echo John Doe) very comfortable to them.

No offense, but that is rather silly logic for two main reasons;

1. Some of the best villains in cinematic history had no interest in money.
2. A villain doesn't have to be relatable to be a great or believable character. In fact that goes for any character. Not just villains.

Well if a characterization is pure fantasy, no relatability to reality or to the viewers, then it and the story overall are likely to be pretty arbitrary, irrelevant and maybe self-righteous.

Well, I mean, that's.... kinda what the character is, lol

Even in TKJ, the "sympathetic" origin we're given is suggested to be unlikely/untrue

That's open to interpretation, although I feel the comic leans pretty strongly to the flashbacks being the actual and objective truth rather than fake or distorted memories, but the comic does very much take seriously and make compelling the Joker's view that one bad day can make a person as bad as he is, Batman disagrees and uses that Gordon didn't crack to support his view but it's left a very open-ended question, especially with the possibility that Batman may someday go bad (his wildly laughing along with the Joker's joke suggests he's pretty close). In the movie the issue feels not an open question but just lecture from the filmmakers, no the Joker is wrong.

and he does some extremely evil **** to Barbara and Jim so it's hard to feel bad for him

I think the comic is good in part because from its contents and structure it makes the reader uncomfortable and conflicted that the Joker has a very sympathetic backstory and he even has a point that a lot of social virtues and restraints are just hypocrisy and yet he does terrible and unacceptable things.

Last edited:
Not this version of the character but it does previous (I think better) versions, most real criminals and also the audience. For the audience to not feel there is any relatability to or rationality in the Joker, think he's nothing like them, seems (to echo John Doe) very comfortable to them.

Previous versions of the Joker showed no value in money both in the comics e.g.

2m34f9u.jpg

And on the screen e.g. like when Nicholson's Joker threw away 20 million bucks for free to the crowd so he could poison a bunch of citizens while dancing to Prince.

Again no offense but I am genuinely amused at this bogus logic you have that the audience has to see rationality or feel relatable with a villain in order for them to love them and think they're brilliant characters. You trying to tell me characters like Hannibal Lecter, Anton Chigurgh, Nurse Ratched etc are characters audiences relate to? I mean ignoring the fact 10 years later Ledger's Joker is still as beloved as ever, he is not the only popular villain whom nobody could relate to unless they were an evil psychopath themselves.

This is not an opinionated issue. You are factually wrong. Audiences do not need to relate to these characters to love them. There does not have to be sane logic to what they do. Especially when they are insane.

I mean who relates to a criminal who wants to keep the one guy around who can constantly foil his plans and lock him up? Only someone as crazy as the Joker. But its a long standing staple of the character;

t83q6g.jpg

wrnosn.jpg

Well if a characterization is pure fantasy, no relatability to reality or to the viewers, then it and the story overall are likely to be pretty arbitrary, irrelevant and maybe self-righteous.

If that were true most of cinema's greatest villains, including the Joker, would not be as beloved as they are.

Again you are factually wrong on this. Simple as that. What you're doing is projecting your own feelings about this on everyone else believing they feel the same as you, when blatant obvious facts based on the popularity of these characters should tell you that you are wrong. If audiences felt like you, then you'd see criticisms like this constantly being thrown at Joker and other villains like him. Not to mention the critics.

On a side note, its not unrealistic for someone to think the way the Joker does.

Last edited:
And on the screen e.g. like when Nicholson's Joker threw away 20 million bucks for free to the crowd so he could poison a bunch of citizens while dancing to Prince.

That was intended to be counterfeit money although I guess that revelation ultimately wasn't included in the film.

Again no offense but I am genuinely amused at this bogus logic you have that the audience has to see rationality or feel relatable with a villain in order for them to love them and think they're brilliant characters. You trying to tell me characters like Hannibal Lecter, Anton Chigurgh, Nurse Ratched etc are characters audiences relate to?

Nurse Ratched was a love-to-hate villain but she still very much did believe that she was doing the right thing and it was believable enough that she believed that (and that she believed that was a big strength of the character and story). Hannibal didn't have much relatability/humanity but he did, ironically, have some like empathizing with Clarice over being looked at with desire and maybe her poor background, forgiving her island lie and at the end saying he won't go after her so she should "extend me the same courtesy" and in Red Dragon admitting it would be rational for society to kill him.

If that were true most of cinema's greatest villains, including the Joker, would not be as beloved as they are.

Mass audiences enjoy the character, in part because they like feeling superior to him & he makes them feel better about themselves and society, but I don't think they took him seriously. Commercial success tends to go along with not challenging the audience (which tends to go into comic book and fantasy films with low expectations to begin with). The public usually enjoys art that is irrelevant and self-righteous if it shares the views it advocates.

That was intended to be counterfeit money although I guess that revelation ultimately wasn't included in the film.

Because it wasn't the case in the movie. Nicholson's Joker showed no interest in money. He was even happy to destroy valuable works of art in the museum. A criminal who values monetary gain would have looted them, not destroyed them.

Nurse Ratched was a love-to-hate villain but she still very much did believe that she was doing the right thing and it was believable enough that she believed that (and that she believed that was a big strength of the character and story). Hannibal didn't have much relatability/humanity but he did, ironically, have some like empathizing with Clarice over being looked at with desire and maybe her poor background, forgiving her island lie and at the end saying he won't go after her so she should "extend me the same courtesy" and in Red Dragon admitting it would be rational for society to kill him.

And the Joker believed what he was doing was the right thing, because he thought deep down society was a joke clinging to rules, and could easily break when pushed the right way. That was believable.

Hannibal empathizing with Clarice doesn't make him relatable any more than the Joker protecting Batman's identity. Lecter developed a warped fascination with Clarice. Just like Joker did with Batman.

Mass audiences enjoy the character, in part because they like feeling superior to him & he makes them feel better about themselves and society, but I don't think they took him seriously.

They like him because he makes them feel better about themselves? Where do you pull this garbage from? Seriously if you're going to make these illogical mass generalizations about audiences then show me some evidence of this.

Commercial success tends to go along with not challenging the audience (which tends to go into comic book and fantasy films with low expectations to begin with).

Since when do audiences need to be challenged in order to love and enjoy something? Are movies like The Wizard of Oz enduring classics for decades because they challenged audiences?

The public usually enjoys art that is irrelevant and self-righteous if it shares the views it advocates.

No, the public enjoys art that is.....wait for it.....really good. That's why they praise the story, characterization etc. Not because its irrelevant or self-righteous (another hilarious baseless belief of yours).

You are pulling your claims out of thin air.

Last edited:
Because it wasn't the case in the movie. Nicholson's Joker showed no interest in money. He was even happy to destroy valuable works of art in the museum. A criminal who values monetary gain would have looted them, not destroyed them.

Fair point. I much prefer the Joker in MotP to B89.

And the Joker believed what he was doing was the right thing, because he thought deep down society was a joke clinging to rules, and could easily break when pushed the right way. That was believable.

That's a very interesting idea for the character and so the character was interesting at times, overall OK but he's hurt a lot by that the film didn't seem to take him or that view seriously. For him to lie, and with the audience knowing he's lying, even about his background and thus motivation makes it pretty hard to believe or care about what he believes and why he's doing what he does.

They like him because he makes them feel better about themselves? Where do you pull this garbage from?

A lot of people said they liked the movie without going much into why they did other than it was exciting and unusually realistic. I guess I am speculating that they liked the Joker because they found him evil in a comfortable and reassuring way, I think viewers tend to prefer black-and-white morality to grey morality in their entertainment.

Since when do audiences need to be challenged in order to love and enjoy something? Are movies like The Wizard of Oz enduring classics for decades because they challenged audiences?

Art doesn't have to challenge audiences but the better works usually do (just escapism can work but usually greater depth is better). Regardless, critics and some of the big fans of the film alleged it was really good because it was original, disturbing and thought-provoking and I think those claims are debatable.

No, the public enjoys art that is.....wait for it.....really good.

That's quite a claim at least in terms of audience enjoyment expressed in financial success. The top 10-grossing from random recent years (2001, 2005, 2007) I would say probably only three, maybe four each year were actually good; what all of them did have in common was being well-promoted (sometimes due to having a simple story) and usually already well-known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_film#Highest-grossing_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_film#Highest-grossing_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

Fair point. I much prefer the Joker in MotP to B89.

Even the MOTP Joker showed disinterest in money when he yawned at Valestra's offer of a suitcase full of millions to finish off Batman.

That's a very interesting idea for the character and so the character was interesting at times, overall OK but he's hurt a lot by that the film didn't seem to take him or that view seriously. For him to lie, and with the audience knowing he's lying, even about his background and thus motivation makes it pretty hard to believe or care about what he believes and why he's doing what he does.

I think you're just starting to pull my leg now with these arguments. In what way did the movie not take him or that view seriously? Batman ends up taking the blame for Harvey Dent's death and the murders he committed, and Gordon involves himself in a cover up of the crimes just so the Joker will not win.

If that's not taking the Joker or his view seriously, then you were watching a different movie to everyone else.

A lot of people said they liked the movie without going much into why they did other than it was exciting and unusually realistic. I guess I am speculating that they liked the Joker because they found him evil in a comfortable and reassuring way, I think viewers tend to prefer black-and-white morality to grey morality in their entertainment.

Who are "a lot of people"? The internet is plastered with in depth reviews of the brilliance of TDK. That view has endured, as the recent 10 year anniversary has shown. Not only is it considered the best CBM of all time, but one of the greatest movies of all time. Not just by audiences, but by the alumni of Hollywood.

You have no basis for your belief. You're making unfounded claims.

Art doesn't have to challenge audiences but the better works usually do (just escapism can work but usually greater depth is better). Regardless, critics and some of the big fans of the film alleged it was really good because it was original, disturbing and thought-provoking and I think those claims are debatable.

What are "the better works"? Is this another personal view you are projecting on the masses? Some of the best movies in cinema are simple and effective. They don't challenge the audience, they simply present good story, good characters, and they entertain.

Every claim about any movie's brilliance can be debated. People debate The Godfather being one of the best movies of all time for example. Doesn't change the fact that its seen as one of the greatest most enduring movies of all time.

That's quite a claim at least in terms of audience enjoyment expressed in financial success. The top 10-grossing from random recent years (2001, 2005, 2007) I would say probably only three, maybe four each year were actually good; what all of them did have in common was being well-promoted (sometimes due to having a simple story) and usually already well-known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_in_film#Highest-grossing_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_in_film#Highest-grossing_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film#Highest-grossing_films

Who's talking about financial success? Financial success doesn't mean diddly squat. If it did the likes of the Transformers movies are among the greatest most beloved movies of all time. But how many greatest movies of all times lists do you see them make it to? Do you see those movies, Sam Witwicky, Optimus Prime or any character in those movies meet the kind of praise TDK or the Joker did?

You'll see movies like The Shawshank Redemption get that, and that was lukewarm blip at the box office. How many movies on those lists have the critical success, praise and acclaim to go with their hefty box office? Then you'll see the obvious flaw in your argument.

Last edited:
I think you're just starting to pull my leg now with these arguments. In what way did the movie not take him or that view seriously?

Well the movie with the contradictory origin stories and fan praise of that seem to be saying that it doesn't matter why he is doing what he is doing and/or that he was actually bad from his start. Plus the whole city, at least its representatives in the two ferries, is shown to be able to resist his attempt to corrupt them (and the film seems to take that as proof that Joker is wrong and Batman right rather than TKJ suggesting the question doesn't have a clear answer). Admittedly Harvey Dent does go from good to bad, some welcome ambivalence and grey, but society and the masses as a whole are presented as resisting the temptations to corruption and Dent is the only character, aside I guess from Alfred burning the letter, to not fit on the good is good, bad is bad dichotomy.

Batman ends up taking the blame for Harvey Dent's death and the murders he committed, and Gordon involves himself in a cover up of the crimes just so the Joker will not win.

Taking the blame for something you didn't do to help somebody else, let alone to help the whole mass public, is I think generally considered about the least-bad bad thing a person can do if not outright not a bad thing at all but a very morally noble thing. Tom Sawyer did that in order to protect Becky and both she and her judge father considered it very noble and admirable.

The internet is plastered with in depth reviews of the brilliance of TDK. That view has endured, as the recent 10 year anniversary has shown. Not only is it considered the best CBM of all time, but one of the greatest movies of all time. Not just by audiences, but by the alumni of Hollywood.

What's the basis for believing Hollywood professionals consider it one of the greatest movies of all time?

What are "the better works"? Is this another personal view you are projecting on the masses? Some of the best movies in cinema are simple and effective. They don't challenge the audience, they simply present good story, good characters, and they entertain.

For one example I think most people do believe The Empire Strikes Back was at least as good as and many feel better than the first Star Wars and better than Return of the Jedi because it gave the characters the most depth. For another The Godfather is considered great in part because it gets you to care a lot about and understand the mobster characters while still recognizing they do a lot of bad stuff and Michael, understandably, gets worse over time. I don't think movies where the characters are static tend to be praised, that tends to be considered a weakness.

Well the movie with the contradictory origin stories and fan praise of that seem to be saying that it doesn't matter why he is doing what he is doing and/or that he was actually bad from his start. Plus the whole city, at least its representatives in the two ferries, is shown to be able to resist his attempt to corrupt them (and the film seems to take that as proof that Joker is wrong and Batman right rather than TKJ suggesting the question doesn't have a clear answer). Admittedly Harvey Dent does go from good to bad, some welcome ambivalence and grey, but society and the masses as a whole are presented as resisting the temptations to corruption and Dent is the only character, aside I guess from Alfred burning the letter, to not fit on the good is good, bad is bad dichotomy.

The contradictory origin story, as you well know, is based on the Joker having no defined origin in the comics;

r94uht.jpg

That's where the fan praise comes from there. Its honoring an integral part of the comic book Joker. In terms of the movie, the Joker is displayed as a liar and a manipulator who loves to mess with the minds of his victims. That's not the movie telling you not to take him seriously. Its telling you he likes to toy with people. If you look at the two origin stories he tells, whether you believe them or not, they both have a common theme. Something screwed up happened to him because of a loved one (father, wife) that turned him into what he is.

The people on the ferries being able to resist his attempt to corrupt them into murder, that once again is not telling you not to take him seriously. Its showing that the Joker was wrong in thinking he could push them into it. Much like in The Killing Joke when he fails to push Gordon over the edge, and Batman confronts him over his failure to do so just like he did in TDK;

2lktzr9.jpg

That's not The Killing Joke telling you not to take the Joker or what he was trying to do seriously any more than TDK was. If the Joker and what he was doing was not to be taken seriously, then there would have been no need to cover up what Dent did. But as was clearly stated "The Joker cannot win". That's why they covered it up.

Taking the blame for something you didn't do to help somebody else, let alone to help the whole mass public, is I think generally considered about the least-bad bad thing a person can do if not outright not a bad thing at all but a very morally noble thing. Tom Sawyer did that in order to protect Becky and both she and her judge father considered it very noble and admirable.

You can think that if you want, but you are factually wrong because the movie specifically states clearly that they do it for the greater good so the Joker cannot win. Yes Batman made a noble sacrifice for the greater good. And the greater good was to not let the Joker win.

Which tells you that they were taking Joker and what he was doing very very, VERY seriously. Something nobody should need explained to them.

What's the basis for believing Hollywood professionals consider it one of the greatest movies of all time?

There's a plethora of examples. Here's my favorite because its a voted list;

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/100-best-films-ever-hollywood-favorites-818512

#57 is TDK. The only CBM on the list, too.

For one example I think most people do believe The Empire Strikes Back was at least as good as and many feel better than the first Star Wars and better than Return of the Jedi because it gave the characters the most depth. For another The Godfather is considered great in part because it gets you to care a lot about and understand the mobster characters while still recognizing they do a lot of bad stuff and Michael, understandably, gets worse over time. I don't think movies where the characters are static tend to be praise, that tends to be considered a weakness.

You're proving my point. Those movies are simple but effective in their story telling. They're not challenging the audience in any way. They are simply telling good entertaining stories with engaging characters. Just like TDK.

So where do you get this belief that the audience has to be challenged?

The contradictory origin story, as you well know, is based on the Joker having no defined origin in the comics;

r94uht.jpg

That's where the fan praise comes from there. Its honoring an integral part of the comic book Joker.

I didn't like that line, it seemed like backtracking, both unwillingness for the company to make what they presented as his origin as his definite origin and to be Moore going against how he was characterizing the Joker in the comic otherwise, that he did remember the events but wanted to and was trying to forget them (for example the line that money isn't a problem "these days", contrasting to when it very much was, and his suggestion that "If we can't face [memories], we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality!"). He seemed to be believing and advocating that people live as if they didn't have painful memories, which is a lot weaker view if he himself just doesn't have reliable memories.

But the character has had a definite origin in the comics at times if not much of the times. Him previously being the Red Hood and disfigured by chemicals jumped into to escape Batman was established in 1950 and I believe the case for both Golden and Silver Age versions, post-Crisis TKJ was a possible origin though not committed to, then in 2004 a very similar origin was established as what had happened.

In terms of the movie, the Joker is displayed as a liar and a manipulator who loves to mess with the minds of his victims. That's not the movie telling you not to take him seriously. Its telling you he likes to toy with people. If you look at the two origin stories he tells, whether you believe them or not, they both have a common theme. Something screwed up happened to him because of a loved one (father, wife) that turned him into what he is.

It does make him seem highly deceitful and disingenuous/insincere although yes I guess the commonality between them hints there's some sort of truth and so his claim that something tragic happened probably shouldn't be completely dismissed-although some viewers do do so, think he was bad & crazy from the beginning and/or with no reason to be so, especially with him planning to give a third version of his origin to Batman.

The people on the ferries being able to resist his attempt to corrupt them into murder, that once again is not telling you not to take him seriously. Its showing that the Joker was wrong in thinking he could push them into it. Much like in The Killing Joke when he fails to push Gordon over the edge, and Batman confronts him over his failure to do so just like he did in TDK

It seems different, a much stronger and bolder declaration by the filmmakers, that he would fail completely with so many people; that he failed with one person Gordon, though Batman takes it to mean he's wrong in general, suggests he's wrong in general and Batman thinks it proves it but it feels much more like an open question.

If the Joker and what he was doing was not to be taken seriously, then there would have been no need to cover up what Dent did. But as was clearly stated "The Joker cannot win". That's why they covered it up.

Well that felt like the film being inconsistent, that people were willing to not kill for their own survival (and the whole city saw that and would be proud and inspired by it) but despite that happening that Harvey Dent had gone bad would demoralize the city, make everyone think the Joker was right, a lot more than that masses had refused to kill each other would inspire them.

You're proving my point. Those movies are simple but effective in their story telling. They're not challenging the audience in any way. They are simply telling good entertaining stories with engaging characters. Just like TDK.

You didn't think it was controversial for and challenging to audiences to learn that Luke could go to dark, that his inspirational father and evil enemy were the same person (the ultra-evil bad guy had himself once been a hero) and that his mentors had lied to him? Or that mobsters could be considered morally equivalent to police and that a war hero could for moral reasons become a murderer and mob leader?

I didn't like that line, it seemed like backtracking, both unwillingness for the company to make what they presented as his origin as his definite origin and to be Moore going against how he was characterizing the Joker in the comic otherwise, that he did remember the events but wanted to and was trying to forget them (for example the line that money isn't a problem "these days", contrasting to when it very much was, and his suggestion that "If we can't face [memories], we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality!"). He seemed to be believing and advocating that people live as if they didn't have painful memories, which is a lot weaker view if he himself just doesn't have reliable memories.

You're not following our discussion here. This isn't about your own tastes. I don't care if you liked the line or not. I'm not debating your personal tastes here, its your false assertion that the movie was telling the audience not to take the Joker seriously.

You're also totally misreading that line. The Joker acknowledges himself that something terrible happened to him, although he remembers it differently each time, the common thread is something tragic screwed up his life. Much like the Joker in TDK. His two tales had a common thread.

But the character has had a definite origin in the comics at times if not much of the times. Him previously being the Red Hood and disfigured by chemicals jumped into to escape Batman was established in 1950 and I believe the case for both Golden and Silver Age versions, post-Crisis TKJ was a possible origin though not committed to, then in 2004 a very similar origin was established as what had happened.

The character never had a definite origin. The only common thread is the Red Hood/fall into the chemicals. He was never defined as who he was under that hood. He could have been anyone with any kind of background. That is what Moore made a story from. He came up with a possible background to the Joker in TKJ, but asserted through Joker himself that it is only one possibility.

It does make him seem highly deceitful and disingenuous/insincere although yes I guess the commonality between them hints there's some sort of truth and so his claim that something tragic happened probably shouldn't be completely dismissed-although some viewers do do so, think he was bad & crazy from the beginning and/or with no reason to be so, especially with him planning to give a third version of his origin to Batman.

a12xqg.jpg

Newsflash; the Joker is highly deceitful and insincere. The thing about his origin stories is they may or may not be true. That's one of the best things about the Joker. You don't know if he's being sincere or not. We know he blatantly lies e.g. when he tricks Batman about Harvey and Rachel's locations, or when he lies to Dent about having any involvement in Rachel's death just because he was in jail at the time. Then we know he is sincere when he says Batman "completes him" when he goes to great lengths to protect Batman's identity, and refusing to kill him.

Point is whether you believe or dismiss his stories, that isn't the movies telling you to not take him or what he is trying to do seriously. If the movie was sending that message, it would be heavily criticized for asking the audience to dismiss its villain, not to mention the whole ending would have been very different.

It seems different, a much stronger and bolder declaration by the filmmakers, that he would fail completely with so many people; that he failed with one person Gordon, though Batman takes it to mean he's wrong in general, suggests he's wrong in general and Batman thinks it proves it but it feels much more like an open question.

It seems different to you. You need to stop projecting your own views onto the general consensus. Again I am not interested in what you thought about it. What we were debating was your illogical declarations about how the audiences view the character and the movie. Something you have failed to back up with any proof.

The whole point of the two scenarios in TDK and TKJ is Joker tried to prove something and he failed. Batman pointed that out to him. Simple as that. There's no bold declaration.

Well that felt like the film being inconsistent, that people were willing to not kill for their own survival (and the whole city saw that and would be proud and inspired by it) but despite that happening that Harvey Dent had gone bad would demoralize the city, make everyone think the Joker was right, a lot more than that masses had refused to kill each other would inspire them.

Again it felt like that for you. You're straying from your original point, too. If the movie was trying to tell you not to take the Joker or what he was doing seriously, there would be no need to take the blame for Dent's crimes and cover it up so "The Joker cannot win". But they did. So again your claim is factually false. This is not an opinionated issue. You are wrong.

You didn't think it was controversial for and challenging to audiences to learn that Luke could go to dark, that his inspirational father and evil enemy were the same person (the ultra-evil bad guy had himself once been a hero) and that his mentors had lied to him? Or that mobsters could be considered morally equivalent to police and that a war hero could for moral reasons become a murderer and mob leader?

No of course not, why would that be controversial? Good people can do bad things, especially under extreme circumstances, and some of the most corrupt people have come from military backgrounds. There is no challenge there. That is reality.

Last edited:
I respect Herofan's personal taste but I strongly disagree with him. The Joker is one of the most interesting characters in fiction ever as The Joker does what he does for reasons too vast and terrible to relate which is why I like the fact that The Joker's past remains a mystery to the audience.

I don't think The Dark Knight really wants you to root for the Joker or relate to him in anyway. He's clearly seen as the "agent of chaos" and that he's not just an antagonist to Batman but to the people of Gotham itself e.g. The GCPD, Gordon, Dent etc.

Whether you believe his stories on how he got his scars is irrelevant as those scar stories is not what defines him as a character or even that important. The Dark Knight is about the rise of The Joker and how he effects the criminal underworld of Gotham. He managed to turn a honorable person like Harvey Dent into a monster and you could argue that The Joker won in this movie.

You're not following our discussion here. This isn't about your own tastes. I don't care if you liked the line or not.

Well yes I was expressing my own opinions other than that line did objectively seem inconsistent with how he otherwise portrayed in the comic, as if he did concretely remember those events (though he wanted to forget them) and they were what had really happened.

Newsflash; the Joker is highly deceitful and insincere. The thing about his origin stories is they may or may not be true. That's one of the best things about the Joker. You don't know if he's being sincere or not. We know he blatantly lies e.g. when he tricks Batman about Harvey and Rachel's locations, or when he lies to Dent about having any involvement in Rachel's death just because he was in jail at the time. Then we know he is sincere when he says Batman "completes him" when he goes to great lengths to protect Batman's identity, and refusing to kill him.

There being too much deception and insincerity (especially blatant lying) by him about himself and his motivations, so viewers aren't able to trust him about or be sure about hardly anything about him, to me feels like the real, true character and motivations weren't revealed or specified enough.

I respect Herofan's personal taste but I strongly disagree with him. The Joker is one of the most interesting characters in fiction ever as The Joker does what he does for reasons too vast and terrible to relate which is why I like the fact that The Joker's past remains a mystery to the audience.

I don't think The Dark Knight really wants you to root for the Joker or relate to him in anyway. He's clearly seen as the "agent of chaos"

He pretty much outright is the Devil. I guess that's an OK approach but I don't like the ideas that some people are pure evil and it doesn't matter why they went bad and we shouldn't try to understand them or reason with them.

Last edited:
Well yes I was expressing my own opinions other than that line did objectively seem inconsistent with how he otherwise portrayed in the comic, as if he did concretely remember those events (though he wanted to forget them) and they were what had really happened.

That's fine if you personally feel that way. It was your assertion that the general audience had this perception, and the movie was telling us not to take him or what he was trying to do seriously that I was correcting.

There being too much deception and insincerity (especially blatant lying) by him about himself and his motivations, so viewers aren't able to trust him about or be sure about hardly anything about him, to me feels like the real, true character and motivations weren't revealed or specified enough.

But they were revealed and specified in 50 foot high letters. He said he wanted to corrupt Gotham's soul. He blatantly tried. He said he wanted to keep Batman around because he completes him and is too much fun to lose. He did that by not trying to kill him, and even protecting his secret identity. He said he didn't care about money and Gotham deserved a better class of criminal, and then proved it by setting fire to a huge pile of money. Joker's intentions were clear and he showed them.

You'd have to have your eyes closed and cotton plugs in your ears not to see these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"