Endgame Iron Man/Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr

RDJ’s personal comeback in life from that dark place has been a victory for all us fans. He’s helped improve my life with his contribution as Iron Man over the last decade. He kicked off an unprecedented cinematic universe with “I am Iron Man” and ended things with that same awesome line. The whole thing has been a huge triumph.

I can sleep with Cap die and Tony live. But the reverse, while as incredible and amazing, just makes me feel disturbed. I really can’t sleep knowing that Iron Man is dead.

I just can’t

giphy.gif

But in all seriousness... No. He's not. RDJ has stopped playing him. But I am sorry to tell everyone this but... RDJ is not the end all be all of this character, even though he has for a decade contributed a lot to who and what Iron Man is. But the character is bigger than him and in a way bigger than the MCU, which is just the most recent and high profile version of the character. A VERSION. There are versions that precede this one and there will be versions that come after. I guarantee you the MCU versions right now are not the DEFINITIVE versions because Marvel and Disney want to make more money in the future off them so guess what? Iron Man will still be in comics. Iron Man will still appear in movies at some point. Iron Man lives.

We need to get a grip on ourselves as fans sometimes I think.

giphy.gif

Generally, when people talk about about awards and CBMs I tend to think they're being a little hyperbloic, even when I loevd the film in question. Not this time. RDJ deserves some recognition, he was an absolute beast in this movie, from start to finish. He's given us not only one of the best performances in a CBM (along Ledger in TDK and Jackman and Steward in Logan), it's a goddamm amazing performance in any movie.

I can see Academy Award nomination for him for 2020 for Endgame for Best Actor

Man I still got emotionally destroyed at the end of this movie even after watching it a second time. The audience I was with made sure to give him a round of applause as soon as his name popped up on screen during the credits.

Reactions: Bim
it feels surreal that I won’t be seeing a character that I had been following for over a decade anymore. I couldn’t help but cry. Between this moment and Steve’s final moment, Endgame was the most emotionally gratifying MCU movie ever.

Knowing that both RDJ and Evans won't be part of the MCU anymore is just sad as they've been the main faces of the MCU (along with Hemsworth) while helping Marvel Studios go from upstart to box office powerhouse.

I can see Academy Award nomination for him for 2020 for Endgame for Best Actor
I wish, but I don't the professional critical reception to his performance is strong enough for him to get traction.

I never been much of an Iron Man film. I enjoyed him more in the Avengers films than in his solo films. And felt he kinda overshadowed every other character (due to the charm of Downey Jr). That being said, he was AMAZING in this film. It's my fav performance of his. It's even better than his portrayal in CW.

Has RDJ talked about his role in the MCU going forward? Is he officially done?
If not, I can see Tony living on in the form of an A.I.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is definitely a case of not knowing what you have until it’s gone. I’d gotten so used to RDJ being around that I never really considered what it’d be like to lose him. He did an amazing job in Endgame and I’m very much going to miss him.

This is definitely a case of not knowing what you have until it’s gone. I’d gotten so used to RDJ being around that I never really considered what it’d be like to lose him. He did an amazing job in Endgame and I’m very much going to miss him.
It feels weird knowing he'll no longer show up on-screen or attend press events for the films. Same goes for Chris Evans.

Man I still got emotionally destroyed at the end of this movie even after watching it a second time. The audience I was with made sure to give him a round of applause as soon as his name popped up on screen during the credits.
Yes, the audience i saw it with did the same. What a ride this has been. I need to go see it again! I've given myself a few days to try and recuperate. Between Endgame and GOT on sunday i've had an emotions overload lol.

What an amazing journey through out the MCU for a decade. It all started with him and Endgame ended the first saga with him in a full circle!

I've been a fan of the character since the mid 90's in the comics and the animated series but he become one of my favorites because of the MCU. his journey's ending hit me hard but it was also greatly done

According to the Russo brothers, the "I am Iron Man" line was a late and very recent addition to the movie, and the last thing they shot on the movie. They were editing the movie and they felt his death needed a one liner to be true to Tony's character and it was the editor who came up with the idea to call back to his last line in the first Iron Man movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"