Iron Man/Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr

Discussion in 'Avengers: Endgame' started by Iceman, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

RDJ’s personal comeback in life from that dark place has been a victory for all us fans. He’s helped improve my life with his contribution as Iron Man over the last decade. He kicked off an unprecedented cinematic universe with “I am Iron Man” and ended things with that same awesome line. The whole thing has been a huge triumph.

2. inomilan Registered

The MVP of the MCU. Thank you RDJ!

Karelia, KaijuDude1992 and Iceman like this.
  3. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness... No. He's not. RDJ has stopped playing him. But I am sorry to tell everyone this but... RDJ is not the end all be all of this character, even though he has for a decade contributed a lot to who and what Iron Man is. But the character is bigger than him and in a way bigger than the MCU, which is just the most recent and high profile version of the character. A VERSION. There are versions that precede this one and there will be versions that come after. I guarantee you the MCU versions right now are not the DEFINITIVE versions because Marvel and Disney want to make more money in the future off them so guess what? Iron Man will still be in comics. Iron Man will still appear in movies at some point. Iron Man lives.

We need to get a grip on ourselves as fans sometimes I think.

[​IMG]

Iron_Stark likes this.
  4. divan Registered

Generally, when people talk about about awards and CBMs I tend to think they're being a little hyperbloic, even when I loevd the film in question. Not this time. RDJ deserves some recognition, he was an absolute beast in this movie, from start to finish. He's given us not only one of the best performances in a CBM (along Ledger in TDK and Jackman and Steward in Logan), it's a goddamm amazing performance in any movie.

TalismanRing, KaijuDude1992 and Xeno like this.
  5. Tg11 Registered

I can see Academy Award nomination for him for 2020 for Endgame for Best Actor

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  6. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Man I still got emotionally destroyed at the end of this movie even after watching it a second time. The audience I was with made sure to give him a round of applause as soon as his name popped up on screen during the credits.

Bim likes this.
  7. -Arya- In Dreams I Walk With You

it feels surreal that I won’t be seeing a character that I had been following for over a decade anymore. I couldn’t help but cry. Between this moment and Steve’s final moment, Endgame was the most emotionally gratifying MCU movie ever.

8. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

[​IMG]

KevTravels likes this.
  9. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Knowing that both RDJ and Evans won't be part of the MCU anymore is just sad as they've been the main faces of the MCU (along with Hemsworth) while helping Marvel Studios go from upstart to box office powerhouse.

10. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

I wish, but I don't the professional critical reception to his performance is strong enough for him to get traction.

11. KevTravels Registered

I think Josh Brolin as Thanos stood a better chance for the 2019 Oscar IMO>

12. KevTravels Registered

I never been much of an Iron Man film. I enjoyed him more in the Avengers films than in his solo films. And felt he kinda overshadowed every other character (due to the charm of Downey Jr). That being said, he was AMAZING in this film. It's my fav performance of his. It's even better than his portrayal in CW.

13. KevTravels Registered

I just wish we got more scenes with Stark and Rhodey.

Jake_Snake likes this.
  14. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

If there's been one issue with IM story throughout the MCU, it's that we hardly got any time with Stark and Rhodey.

KevTravels likes this.
  15. KevTravels Registered

Especially in Iron Man 3 when Rhodey disappears for half the film.

16. Havok83 Registered

Has RDJ talked about his role in the MCU going forward? Is he officially done?
    If not, I can see Tony living on in the form of an A.I.

#91 Havok83, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited by moderator Spider-Fan: May 1, 2019
  17. Boy Scout Registered

This is definitely a case of not knowing what you have until it’s gone. I’d gotten so used to RDJ being around that I never really considered what it’d be like to lose him. He did an amazing job in Endgame and I’m very much going to miss him.

18. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

It feels weird knowing he'll no longer show up on-screen or attend press events for the films. Same goes for Chris Evans.

Naglfar and Boy Scout like this.
  19. Bim Registered

Yes, the audience i saw it with did the same. What a ride this has been. I need to go see it again! I've given myself a few days to try and recuperate. Between Endgame and GOT on sunday i've had an emotions overload lol.

20. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

I’m still in denial

dominick1216 likes this.
  21. Zorro IncognitoX

What an amazing journey through out the MCU for a decade. It all started with him and Endgame ended the first saga with him in a full circle!

I've been a fan of the character since the mid 90's in the comics and the animated series but he become one of my favorites because of the MCU. his journey's ending hit me hard but it was also greatly done

Naglfar likes this.
  22. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

He will go down as one of the great, iconic characters in film history. I have no doubt.

Bim, Naglfar and MovieSlave like this.
  23. The Batman The Dark Knight

I'd say that he already is.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  24. AndrewGilkison Registered

According to the Russo brothers, the "I am Iron Man" line was a late and very recent addition to the movie, and the last thing they shot on the movie. They were editing the movie and they felt his death needed a one liner to be true to Tony's character and it was the editor who came up with the idea to call back to his last line in the first Iron Man movie.

25. samsnee Ok

That’s interesting because it’s the perfect comeback to “I am inevitable” that I would have thought it was part of the script all along