It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

You can tell MOS borrows elements from Flyby.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/steel_this_movie_TrrZEczrOmIra5bDTnKk4O/0

According to the man himself, Zach Synder wanted to keep the trunks.

Discuss.
That's not what he says. It says that they tried to keep the trunks. So they played around with the design and ultimately came to the conclusion to lose the trunks.

“The costume was a big deal for me, and we played around for a long time,” Snyder says. “I tried like crazy to keep the red briefs on him. Everyone else said, ‘You can’t have the briefs on him.’ I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on."

Yeah, the way I read that is he tried to come up with a version that looked better than what we have now and just couldn't do it. Not that if he had his say he would have trunks.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than this new MOS suit. It's damn near perfect.

Yeah, the way I read that is he tried to come up with a version that looked better than what we have now and just couldn't do it. Not that if he had his say he would have trunks.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to come up with a better design than this new MOS suit. It's damn near perfect.
Interesting. My interpretation of the quote is Snyder, in a very diplomatic way, saying, "I wanted to keep the trunks but the execs who are paying told me to get rid of them. I tried a whole bunch of designs that would convince them otherwise, but they just weren't having it."

Interesting. My interpretation of the quote is Snyder, in a very diplomatic way, saying, "I wanted to keep the trunks but the execs who are paying told me to get rid of them. I tried a whole bunch of designs that would convince them otherwise, but they just weren't having it."
I don't think any director is going to openly admit he didn't get his way -- especially not in the middle of filming. It was a sort of "hey guys I tried even though no one else wanted to, but this is better" type statement to me. Kind of throwing a bone to the sliver of the fanbase that was upset about losing the underwear.

You know, after reading through it again, I can see how people could interpret it that way. Although, I think it could go either way.

I read it like Compi did, that he wanted them to stay but the studio said no.

I'd love to see those concept designs. But glad we have what we have.

Definitely. Aside from not knowing exactly how the colors and texture will look on film, I think it's the best Krypton-origin costume I've seen.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/steel_this_movie_TrrZEczrOmIra5bDTnKk4O/0

According to the man himself, Zach Synder wanted to keep the trunks.

Discuss.
I understood this to mean that he truly wanted to keep the red briefs but he was so strongly opposed (studio folks) that he had no choice but to give in.
Everyone else said, ‘You can’t have the briefs on him.’
Makes it seem like he was the only only one that wanted to keep them, and I strongly believe him, because we all know how faithful he really is.

I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on.”
Goes to show his determination in wanting to keep them.
“You come onto a project like this, and you hear about modernization and you hear about bringing things forward to today, and all you can do is hope that it’s going to look cool and different from
anything you’ve seen before,”
This pretty much tells me that they were never gonna let Snyder go with the classic version because he clearly states that he was pretty much told from the start to let go of the past and look forward, and that forward movement demanded changes.
Read between the lines people, it's all there.
I have a lot more respect for Snyder now.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

i have a lot more respect for Snyder now hearing about how he wanted to keep the classic look... it's disgusting to hear the stupidity come from those around him.

I would've loved for the trunks to stay, but I'm happy with the suit we got.

i have a lot more respect for Snyder now hearing about how he wanted to keep the classic look... it's disgusting to hear the stupidity come from those around him.

They didn't have a choice due to litigation. The trunks had to go. However, now that things are starting to go WB's way in the lawsuits we will likely see the return of Classic Coca Cola.

Guys, trunksless is anot wrong; in fact,it is the way to go: live with it.

apparently, Zack Snyder disagrees with you

would be interesting to see that on teh dvd as an extra. Designing the suit, show all the prototypes.

Because of the "Everyone else" comment it appears Snyder was pushing for the trunk. Doesn't really surprise me. I totally see Snyder being a traditionalist. Only an exec in a boardroom would mess that much with Superman's costume.

Snyder said:
“I looked at probably 1,500 versions of the costumes with the briefs on.”
Goes to show his determination in wanting to keep them.
Yes. But commissioning “1500” design sketches, etc. - and considering each one of them - would be a colossal waste of time, effort and money if WB had issued (for legal reasons?) a “no trunks rule” from the get-go. My sense is that many options were on the table (including the trunks) and that, ultimately, the decision was made based on aesthetic criteria.

1500 designs and it still didn't work. No briefs is just better for a more modern, naturalistic look. Briefs immediately look costumey.

tumblr_me53wtVwnt1rrplcgo1_r1_1280.jpg

Briefs could of worked. They just thought this could work better. Batman is a man dressed up as a bat for crying out loud. Superman looked/looks no more ridiculous than most superheroes.

Briefs immediately look costumey.

And a skintight blue full body suit with a floor length red cape, red boots to the knee, and a huge S on his chest doesn't?

And a skintight blue full body suit with a floor length red cape, red boots to the knee, and a huge S on his chest doesn't?

Hah, I love it when you leap out of the shadows :up:

Last edited:
I love the suit, and glad the trunks are gone. Suit looks awesome. But it's nice to know Snyder tried to incorporate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"