It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matter of semantics, and it wasn't the crux of his post. The categorically classic Superman design is in fact gone. I never meant to argue that Superman was replaced with something entirely different just because of a suit change. When I specified as such "the real Superman" in a previous post I meant it as a matter of hyperbole.
seriously, get help.

you know, still looking at the new suit, maybe it's because of the lack of trunks and the amount of muscle definition they put into it that throws me off a bit...

in no way am i saying that showing muscle definition on Superman is a bad thing to do... i personally, however, dont like in the comics how the artists constantly over-accentuate the muscles, and make Superman look like a steroid-bound freak who couldn't even brush his teeth if he tried. i like the realistic look for Superman, and the thing is, concerning Superman, is that you dont need to exaggerate the muscles in order to show how powerful he is.

I've always thought that Superman did not have a more massive muscular structure, but a more dense muscular structure. that way Superman can still be strong without looking like a body builder. I guess that's what i'm looking for in Superman these days *shrugs*

you know, still looking at the new suit, maybe it's because of the lack of trunks and the amount of muscle definition they put into it that throws me off a bit...

in no way am i saying that showing muscle definition on Superman is a bad thing to do... i personally, however, dont like in the comics how the artists constantly over-accentuate the muscles, and make Superman look like a steroid-bound freak who couldn't even brush his teeth if he tried. i like the realistic look for Superman, and the thing is, concerning Superman, is that you dont need to exaggerate the muscles in order to show how powerful he is.

I've always thought that Superman did not have a more massive muscular structure, but a more dense muscular structure. that way Superman can still be strong without looking like a body builder. I guess that's what i'm looking for in Superman these days *shrugs*

I hear you. There was a time when I was a kid where I loved Ed McGuinness' Superman -- silly children. Now, I prefer a more slender Man of Steel that is more along the lines of Gary Frank.

That being said, I don't mind if he is large like Tim Sale's or Frank Quitely's but as long has he is not large and ripped.

I do like what Man of Steel has done to the suit in terms of the musculature though. In past films he's looked a little thin or doughy whereas now he looks powerful. Also, as pictures of Cavill confirm, the muscle suit isn't too far off from reality.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the costume. I think it looks great. Very "out of this world" While keeping the character more human creates a fantastic contrast.

I hear you. There was a time when I was a kid where I loved Ed McGuinness' Superman -- silly children. Now, I prefer a more slender Man of Steel that is more along the lines of Gary Frank.

That being said, I don't mind if he is large like Tim Sale's or Frank Quitely's but as long has he is not large and ripped.

I do like what Man of Steel has done to the suit in terms of the musculature though. In past films he's looked a little thin or doughy whereas now he looks powerful. Aslo, as pictures of Cavill confirm, the muscle suit isn't too far off from reality.

:up:

Should Superman's musculature even matter? He doesn't need muscles to be super-strong.

edit: Hey, who took my picture?:hmm
Action811.jpg

superman_178.jpg

Last edited:
Should Superman's musculature even matter? He doesn't need muscles to be super-strong.

superman_178.jpg

I've heard that point raised before. It's an interesting one I'd like to see explored more but I think from a purely visual perspective, Superman should have a somewhat commanding stature.

superman_178.jpg

Exactly. That's why I prefer him to be more slender in the comics and not like the McGuinness photo you posted.

On the flip-side, film is a different medium and I think requires different tactics to sell the character. In that instance, I think the muscles help. And since the character is being presented by a person and not an artist's pencil, then the likelihood of the muscles being overdone is low.

So anyone getting this for Halloween? It's part of the big "morphsuit" fad. I would just cut off the gloves, take off the hood, and draw red on the belt lines. The logo is great!

880520_superman_2nd_skin__92396_zoom.jpg

So anyone getting this for Halloween? It's part of the big "morphsuit" fad. I would just cut off the gloves, take off the hood, and draw red on the belt lines. The logo is great!

880520_superman_2nd_skin__92396_zoom.jpg

I saw that the other day. I think the shield is great. It avoids the awful black lines.

That is so bizarre looking... what the hell is a morphsuit? Is that what these kids are wearing these days

I really like the suit now. I've really grown to no longer care the trunks are gone. I do still wish there was something like a red belt or something to break up the blue, but still really REALLY good costume :)

Those things are worse then clowns lol They creep me out!

His butt is on backwards. :dry:

Gonna toss this out there for fresh opinion.

In trying to re-inject some of the classic qualities of the suit without going all the way back to the trunks design, what would you guys think of this design?

MOS4.JPG

In trying to re-inject some of the classic qualities of the suit without going all the way back to the trunks design, what would you guys think of this design?

MOS4.JPG

I feel like I've seen something similar on here before but I'm not 100%.

Regardless, I always like the red additions to the side of the suit despite being a fan of the MOS suit as is. I guess I just enjoy interpretations.

In this instance, however, I feel the red rides a little high. It comes up and into his lats and kills that great line. I'm not sure how noticeable that would be on an human like Cavill, but for a drawing I find it to be more of an issue.

Otherwise, :up:

MOS4.JPG

I like your thoughts, but the red is too much and it's placed in such a way that it makes your addition look like a corset. Take some off from the upper part and it's gonna be much better.

Yeah, it's just needless imo. I used to think the blue needed a break-up with the trunks gone, but with all the fan mock-ups I see trying to compensate the original MOS-version is still the best solution. I guess the ornament is enough and appropriately discrete and doesnt draw attantion to the missing trunks or the croth-area in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"