It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's just needless imo. I used to think the blue needed a break-up with the trunks gone, but with all the fan mock-ups I see trying to compensate the original MOS-version is still the best solution. I guess the ornament is enough and appropriately discrete and doesnt draw attantion to the missing trunks or the croth-area in general.

Meh, I can't really argue with your gut. If you've become accustomed to seeing Superman without the trunks and it's works for you, then you're entitled to it. In the end it does boil down to personal preference. Would you prefer the MOS suit over the classic then? I would venture to say that your opinion speaks more about your flexibility of appreciation then it does quality of design. If you could get used to the MOS suit, you could certainly become used to something with a little red thrown in :) I love the MOS suit, but at the end of the day, to me the classic reigns supreme and damn the trunks haters. What does this do for you guys:

MOS5.jpg

Meh, I can't really argue with your gut. If you've become accustomed to seeing Superman without the trunks and it's works for you, then you're entitled to it. In the end it does boil down to personal preference. Would you prefer the MOS suit over the classic then? I would venture to say that your opinion speaks more about your flexibility of appreciation then it does quality of design. If you could get used to the MOS suit, you could certainly become used to something with a little red thrown in :) I love the MOS suit, but at the end of the day, to me the classic reigns supreme and damn the trunks haters. What does this do for you guys:

MOS5.jpg

i like it, but the red goes up a little too high for me on his sides... plus, personally, i would lose the yellow oval, and do something a little different for the neckline.

i like it, but the red goes up a little too high for me on his sides... plus, personally, i would lose the yellow oval, and do something a little different for the neckline.

I'm beginning to think that the entire trunks/no trunks/dash of red to break up the blue issue is just one of those nebulous design quirks that is just too specific a detail to reach broad consensus. Everyone is going to see is just going to see it differently, have their eye pulled this way or that way. Even when Superman had the trunks people had issues it's true. The hell with it :)

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think that the entire trunks/no trunks/dash of red to break up the blue issue is just one of those nebulous design quirks that is just too specific a detail to reach broad consensus. Everyone is going to see is just going to see it differently, have their eye pulled this way or that way. Even when Superman had the trunks people had issues it's true. The hell with it :)

well, that's Superman for you, SA... his look has become so popular and wide known, his look all of a sudden became subjective to the eye of the beholder. goes in with the whole post-modernism outlook of life these days

]http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/man-of-steel-movie3/121026-arthritisgala4.html
the new hair of Cavill lolololololololololll

Meh, I can't really argue with your gut. If you've become accustomed to seeing Superman without the trunks and it's works for you, then you're entitled to it. In the end it does boil down to personal preference. Would you prefer the MOS suit over the classic then? I would venture to say that your opinion speaks more about your flexibility of appreciation then it does quality of design. If you could get used to the MOS suit, you could certainly become used to something with a little red thrown in :) I love the MOS suit, but at the end of the day, to me the classic reigns supreme and damn the trunks haters.

I was talking about MOS and for that vision of the character I like what they came up with. Would I like to see how that suit would've looked with the trunks incorporated back into it? Definitely, but I'm not sure it would fit that well.
Do I prefer the MOS-suit over the classic? Nope, but again, the suit looks like it's gonna fit the angle they're going for with the bigger mythology and all that.

I still hope to see the classic suit done all the way and finally done right one day in the future. The MOS-suit proves that it can look cool, so I'm sure the classic can as well.

I personally dont believe the classic will ever look cool in live action after watching SR and Reading the Photorealistic kingdom come. I hope to never see the classic on a serious superman movie.
I dont mind in animation though,prefer it actually.

I do think the Mos suit would look better with a reddish belt design and less squiggly lines.But im cool with it nevertheless

I actually like the New 52 supes when it isnt drawn in a mettalic way and when the hideous high collar isnt visible.I mean you cant deny this looks good.
s.jpg

Last edited:
design still looks like crap to me... and that design will always be crap to me.

I just hate that damn collar...

I can deal with the no pants. I can even get over the armour replacing tight material.

But why oh why with the neck collar?

I just hate that damn collar...

I can deal with the no pants. I can even get over the armour replacing tight material.

But why oh why with the neck collar?

Yeah, the collar is the one thing that I just can't deal with. It's just an awful design choice. Hell, even the t-shirt collar line in SR was too high.

The belt is where it collapses though. It's just all sorts of ugly being pointless there all alone in the middle. Looks like some sort of accessory.

Yeah, the collar is the one thing that I just can't deal with. It's just an awful design choice. Hell, even the t-shirt collar line in SR was too high.

Agreed.

The belt is where it collapses though. It's just all sorts of ugly being pointless there all alone in the middle. Looks like some sort of accessory.

Yeah it really is. It looks like a kids toy belt or something.

design still looks like crap to me... and that design will always be crap to me.

Yep.

I personally dont believe the classic will ever look cool in live action after watching SR and Reading the Photorealistic kingdom come. I hope to never see the classic on a serious superman movie.
I dont mind in animation though,prefer it actually.

I do think the Mos suit would look better with a reddish belt design and less squiggly lines.But im cool with it nevertheless

I actually like the New 52 supes when it isnt drawn in a mettalic way and when the hideous high collar isnt visible.I mean you cant deny this looks good.

I find your opinion as sad as I find it facinating. I mean, you've never ever liked the classic on screen, small or large?

Last edited:
I cant stand the New 52 metallic look and high collar too.Loose this two things and its perfect though
I find your opinion as sad as I find it facinating. I mean, you've never ever liked the classic on screen, small or large?

Yes.Always found it overtly silly obviously due to the trunks. Im talking Live action here.
You have to understand Im a newish fan.I dont care for all the usual fanboy love and nostalgia.For example I dont care about the Donners films.They are just okay I dont find them as irreplaceable as a lot of old time fans do.Same with the classic.

The worst offenses of the New 52 suit for me are:

1. The collar: Never like Superman with an high collar, plus I find the red accent makes it worse (same with the cuffs)

2. The belt: Just an overall bad design imo

3. The boots: Superman's boots also don't look right without the "M" cut at the top for me.

4. Black \s/ on the back of cape: Clashes with the color scheme of the rest of the suit

I cant stand the New 52 metallic look and high collar too.Loose this two things and its perfect though

Yes.Always found it overtly silly obviously due to the trunks. Im talking Live action here.
You have to understand Im a newish fan.I dont care for all the usual fanboy love and nostalgia.For example I dont care about the Donners films.They are just okay I dont find them as irreplaceable as a lot of old time fans do.Same with the classic.

Hmm, got it. I had a feeling that was the case but I didn't want to assume and come across as impolite. But as long as we're not being overly careful with our words in your labeling appreciation of the classic Superman, "fanboy love and nostalgia" I'll say that's a rather dismissive and disrespectful characterization.

The costume change hasn't even been around a full year and people are already calling those who prefer the classic look, "nostalgic." Just a suggestion; you would do well to try a little bit of empathy in sharing your viewpoints with fans who have held a fondness for the character since early childhood. I have a hard time believing that an older, newish fan can have the same kind of emotional attachment as a person who has loved Superman as a kid. You may think it looks silly, which don't get me wrong is a natural and understandable reaction for a new adult fan. I don't blame you.

But for long time fans, the emotional attachment outweighs the silliness. And 60 years worth of media depicting Superman wearing trunks agrees with me. As does Marvel's Avengers in which they were able to keep Thor and Captain America's ridiculous costumes virtually the same as their comic counterparts and that movie made a billion dollars. I'm curious, how did you become a newish fan of Superman?

The costume change hasn't even been around a full year and people are already calling those who prefer the classic look, "nostalgic." Just a suggestion; you would do well to try a little bit of empathy in sharing your viewpoints with fans who have held a fondness for the character since early childhood. I have a hard time believing that an older, newish fan can have the same kind of emotional attachment as a person who has loved Superman as a kid. You may think it looks silly, which don't get me wrong is a natural and understandable reaction for a new adult fan. I don't blame you.

But for long time fans, the emotional attachment outweighs the silliness. And 60 years worth of media depicting Superman wearing trunks agrees with me. As does Marvel's Avengers in which they were able to keep Thor and Captain America's ridiculous costumes virtually the same as their comic counterparts and that movie made a billion dollars. I'm curious, how did you become a newish fan of Superman?

I fully understand your emotional attachment to the classic suit.But i do think that the emotional attachment blinds fans to certain facts about the classic suit-like the fact it does silly in live action to the current gen.Your emotional attachment to the classic will NEVER allow you to see it but for someone like me-its freaking obvious.So it had to be tweaked to get newer fans. Im sorry but it was one of the necessary sacrifices to make Superman seem less oldfashoned and cool to newer fans.You and the older fans need to prepare yourselves for the influx of new fans that next year will bring because they are going to share the same opinion on the classic and will bash it with no remorse.Im sorry but this will happen and is the future of Superman fandom.

As does Marvel's Avengers in which they were able to keep Thor and Captain America's ridiculous costumes virtually the same as their comic counterparts and that movie made a billion dollars. I'm curious, how did you become a newish fan of Superman?
This is Thors classic costume.
bio-thor1.jpg

We did not get Thors classic costume.What we got was JMS rebooted Thor outfit without the helmet by the way.
Cap looked less awesome in avengers compared to TFA. And i wouldnt call it faithful since it didnt faithfully translate the most controversial part of the helmet-the wings.
Truth be told Marvel isnt has faithful in their movies as many say.They change stuff because they are aware certain things just dont look cool in live action

I'm curious, how did you become a newish fan of Superman?
Smallville got me interested in the character. Fleschier cartoons got me hooked.picked up a few superman stories here and there,watched the movies but only came to stay with the new 52.

Last edited:
I hate to say this but I think the classic costume is gone for good.

Aside from emotions, I think it is one of the many truths about comics: They're are constantly being updated. They're constantly changing for new generations.(New 52)

Fantastic post Zionite, but before I respond to it, question: how old are you? if you don't mind me asking

I hate to say this but I think the classic costume is gone for good.

Thanks to the lawsuit, you might be right.

Last edited:
Fantastic post Zionite, but before I respond to it, question: how old are you? if you don't mind me asking

Thanks for not jumping down my throat.Most Older fans I talk to on this forums are not nice when people dont share their expected views on the classic suit or Donner.
Oh and Im just entering my twenties by the way.

Zionite's about my age, and I grew up on Superman: TAS, Donner and my first Superman stories were Death and Return. I think All-Star Superman is the best Superman story ever told.

But I think the costume needed updating too. I like the MOS suit, and I like the New 52 suit, it's not perfect, but I'd rather they stick with it so as not to prevent a constant costume merry go round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"