Jared Leto IS The Joker - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, the "how many good guy are left, how many stayed that way" line is about Harvey Dent.
Possibly, but this is not a continuation of Nolan's Batman; we don't know what Snyder's Dent is like, nor is he hinted or eluded to be anywhere involved in the movie, unlike Robin.

Can someone explain to me how it would make sense to promise fans the Joker and then give them a cheap Joker knock-off? It would be like watching BvS only to discover that Affleck is actually Jim Gordon. No one wants that. WB would be shooting themselves in the foot.

You don't have a character show up and then "reveal" him to be a more boring character. If you're determined to do a twist, then maybe you do something like what Arkham Origins did and have Black Mask turn out to be Joker, or what Star Trek did and have John Harrison turn out to be Khan. Even those twists got mixed receptions, but at least the reveal was an upgrade. Here the reveal would be a downgrade. It would take the wind out of the sails of the film.

In addition, there's the blatantly obvious fact that there's NO WAY a "Robin Joker" is going to be made responsible for Harleen becoming Harley. The filmmakers know that would be another colossal mistake. Harley isn't a Robin groupie, she's infatuated with the real deal.

This theory has no proof and no argument behind it. Joker has a Robin tattoo... okay, so he probably killed Robin. I mean isn't that the most obvious explanation? Why pretend to be the Joker if you're going to wear a tattoo signalling your true identity? It would make no sense.

Joker has some dark spots on his shoulder. They aren't ****ing scars, they are skin blemishes or bruises or scratches at best. There are a number of other wounds on the Robin suit that don't correlate to any spot on Joker's body, including a gaping upper abdomen bullet hole which matches zilch on Joker's torso.

Add to this that all the Joker scenes we know of in Suicide Squad happen to be from the past, either showing how Harleen became Harley, or how she got put away in Arkham. We have no confirmed scenes that I know of featuring Joker that take place in the present day. That makes it even less likely that Joker is Robin because this Joker has been around for a bit. Its not like Batman is just encountering him for the first time and suprise mutha****ing surprise its Robin.

There's not a shred of evidence for this theory. It doesn't stand to scrutiny. Its a fun theory to think about in a "what-if" elseworlds kind of way but in terms of what REALISTICALLY could happen in the film there is no way this side of hell that this theory will turn out to be true.

You can't just say "it has a chance of being true" without any substantive argument to back that claim. No, I don't know the future, but I do know that Batman won't ride a flying unicorn in the film, no matter if someone "theorizes" that he will. Just so, I know Joker is Joker, not Robin. Because its so colossally unlikely and so devoid of any rationale behind it that it borders on the absurd.

Can someone explain to me how it would make sense to promise fans the Joker and then give them a cheap Joker knock-off? It would be like watching BvS only to discover that Affleck is actually Jim Gordon. No one wants that. WB would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Like I said before, I can entirely see Leto playing two Jokers.
The true Joker fans want, and the Robin Joker.
You don't have a character show up and then "reveal" him to be a more boring character.
Not trying to bring up this example again, but Pamela Voorhees in Friday the 13th showed that that's not an issue.
If you're determined to do a twist, then maybe you do something like what Arkham Origins did and have Black Mask turn out to be Joker, or what Star Trek did and have John Harrison turn out to be Khan.
Haven't played Origins, but what you're saying of Joker being Black Mask is literally what is being said of Robin being Joker.
As for Khan, nah, that's not a good example simply because it was a horribly kept "secret" prior to film's release. Everyone knew and was expecting it going in, despite the director and cast saying otherwise. The same is not happening here.
Even those twists got mixed receptions, but at least the reveal was an upgrade. Here the reveal would be a downgrade. It would take the wind out of the sails of the film.
Disagreed.
In addition, there's the blatantly obvious fact that there's NO WAY a "Robin Joker" is going to be made responsible for Harleen becoming Harley. The filmmakers know that would be another colossal mistake. Harley isn't a Robin groupie, she's infatuated with the real deal.
Already stated my stance on this, and I agree, Robin Joker is not going to turn Harleen to Harley.
This theory has no proof and no argument behind it.
Except that it does, I already broke it down to the most simple terms for people.
Joker has a Robin tattoo... okay, so he probably killed Robin. I mean isn't that the most obvious explanation? Why pretend to be the Joker if you're going to wear a tattoo signalling your true identity? It would make no sense.
Again, refer to post above.
Joker has some dark spots on his shoulder. They aren't ****ing scars, they are skin blemishes or bruises or scratches at best.
Agreed
There are a number of other wounds on the Robin suit that don't correlate to any spot on Joker's body, including a gaping upper abdomen bullet hole which matches zilch on Joker's torso.
And again, the shirtless Leto pic does not go far down enough to see if there's a wound to make that assessment.
Add to this that all the Joker scenes we know of in Suicide Squad happen to be from the past, either showing how Harleen became Harley, or how she got put away in Arkham. We have no confirmed scenes that I know of featuring Joker that take place in the present day. That makes it even less likely that Joker is Robin because this Joker has been around for a bit. Its not like Batman is just encountering him for the first time and suprise mutha****ing surprise its Robin.
Or you know, past Joker is regular Joker, and modern day Joker is Robin Joker.
There's not a shred of evidence for this theory. It doesn't stand to scrutiny. Its a fun theory to think about in a "what-if" elseworlds kind of way but in terms of what REALISTICALLY could happen in the film there is no way this side of hell that this theory will turn out to be true.
Except, yes, there is plenty of evidence to support the theory; obviously nothing concrete otherwise we'd all be in agreement, and you can choose to ignore the evidence provided, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist to the rest of us.
You can't just say "it has a chance of being true" without any substantive argument to back that claim. No, I don't know the future, but I do know that Batman won't ride a flying unicorn in the film, no matter if someone "theorizes" that he will. Just so, I know Joker is Joker, not Robin. Because its so colossally unlikely and so devoid of any rationale behind it that it borders on the absurd.
Actually not really, try again though; this is entertaining.

Actually not really, try again though; this is entertaining.

Nah, nothing you said disproved my arguments. All you did was move back the boundaries of the theory even further to accommodate the even more unlikely notion that Leto is playing two Jokers... one Robin's age and the other real Joker's age, who look exactly the same. Uh, nope. Not buying it. Not least because its overly complicated, there's not a shred of evidence to back it, and it again would be a terrible move that would only be to the detriment of the story.

So Leto will be playing Robin-Joker, and "true" Joker?

Why, though?

Hell, why stop at two Jokers? He could play six.

Joker clones... its so obvious now, I see it

This really feels stretching it to me and things like Leto playing two Jokers feel like jumping through hoops to make a theory work.

No jumping here. I'm not a circus performer...............:cwink:

The more the theory gets disproved, the more complex and outlandish it has to become to accommodate the facts. Backing up the boundaries of the theory doesn't prove the theory however, so its status as unlikely daydream conjecture remains.

Dick Grayson was. :o

There's also an i, k and a in your username, and your location is a theme park, therefore you must be Dick Grayson who is now Joker hiding out in a theme park. :o

The more the theory gets disproved, the more complex and outlandish it has to become to accommodate the facts. Backing up the boundaries of the theory doesn't prove the theory however, so its status as unlikely daydream conjecture remains.
Except nothing has been disproved.....
There's also an i, k and a in your username, and your location is a theme park, therefore you must be Dick Grayson who is now Joker hiding out in a theme park. :o
Who have you been talking to? :ninja:

That line could just as easily suggest that Robin's death at the hands of The Joker pushed Batman to becoming the cynical, more-violent Batman we meet in BvS. Taken at face value, the line simply suggests that Gotham has a corrupting effect on people. It takes what sense of morality and virtue you have and crushes it. Such as your arch nemesis murdering your partner/foster child and you feeling responsible for it.

The trailers have been pushing the fact that this Batman is more jaded.

"That's how it starts. The fever... the rage... the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men cruel."
"This bat vigilante is like a one-man reign of terror."
"He is not our enemy."
"He has the power to wipe out the entire human race. And we have to destroy him."

Bruce's line about "twenty years in Gotham" could very easily follow Alfred's line about "the fever." Alfred commenting on Bruce's cruelty, to which Bruce responds with justification for being that way. Twenty years in Gotham - witnesses atrocities and horrors that few can fathom. Is it really all that surprising that he's become more cynical during that time?

As for the Joker's marks? Pull up the best quality version of that photo. Those don't even closely resemble scar tissue, especially deep-tissue scars that bullet holes and meat hooks would leave. It simply looks like paint - perhaps from them applying the tattoos on Leto's body. The higher the definition, the more visual scrutiny can be placed on a photo. Hell, when Nicholson's Joker first reveals himself, he has purple paint on his neck. There's no story reason behind it. It's simply a makeup goof.

Besides, there's clearly a bullet hole on the abdomen of Robin's suit, among many other scratches and punctures. Where's the scar on Leto's stomach, or anywhere else that the Robin suit had been damaged?

The purple paint, and the overall shoddiest appearance of his clothing in the scene, stems from the suit having been stained and dyed on his body. So that is actually in the script.

Now, I'm going to try arguing that the JT=Joker theory is weaker in a literary sense. I understand that trying to "prove" or "disprove" a theory for a film 12 months away is strictly an academic excercise, but it's one that has dominated this thread for a tiring amount of time. So, if you'll follow, I'd like to discuss the merits and weakness of the theory and the more "orthodox" approach that clashes with it. If you disagree, I would greatly appreciate an examination of why, rather than a "agree to disagree" reasonse. It's not that the "agree to disagree" response is invalid as an argument, per se, as much as it just encourages a logger-heads-style stalemate when I'd like to move the discussion along.

So, I believe that if Leto's Joker is Jason Todd, or Dick Grayson, or some other Robin, the storyline is naturally weaker than it would be to keep Batman's arch nemesis and his pupils apart.

The biggest advantage to the theory is that it allows for a plot thread to incorporate multiple references and precedents in Batman media in one single "twist." That's also its biggest weakness; each element of the twist dilutes just a bit of each element's potential, since the twist requires more elements to be used to construct it than other hybrid story lines:

1. Jason Todd/Dick Grayson/Tim/Damian/whoever becoming an antagonist has a lot of power in its most basic format, but would lose something of the turn was coached as Joker #2. The turn feels more derivative than having them accept a separate identity; when Dick and Tim had their turns as Joker-style anatagonists, it removed some of the gravitas of having Dick and Tim be the opponent and replaced it with Joker analogues who are just enemies. TDKSA's Dick was a shallow character who's reveal felt more perfunctory than anything else, and the moment lacked the gut punch it could have had because of how alien the character had become, while ROTJ's Tim was literally hijacked by the Joker, and the two were so wildly different that they were different characters, and the goal became freeing Tim, instead of stopping Tim. Jason's return as the Red Hood embraced the character's personality and nuance to make an emotional conflict the center of the story; all his flaws and virtues were the same as they'd been as Robin, but amped up.

2.Joker having an origin as Robin lessens the character's terror as an autonomous threat to Batman, while simultaneously adding an extra stain to the hero's reputation that isn't needed. If Joker recieved his training and skill set from training with Batman, than in effect, he's a home grown problem that Batman understands. Even if he's an insane and broken former Robin, he's still someone Batman knows well enough to manipulate or analyze, kind of like how a bunch of the protagonist-created supervillains in Marvel are defeated because the hero ultimately knows their weak parts. Iron Man understood most of his villains because they were all evil-geniuses or evil businessmen who he's personally aggravated in some way, or were based off his personality like Ultron, and he exploited his knowledge against them to beat them. A Joker who develops largely independent of Batman (aside from the chemical bath) or other heroes still has a mystery and unpredictability to him that makes him a better counter to a hero as reflective and calculating as Batman.

3. Combining the characters eliminates the potential keeping them separate gives you. The more an evil Robin resembles his old self, the more fun you can have with him being ticked at and hostile towards his successors, whether they're Tim or Damian, and the more his renegade actions can be tied to Batman's actual goals and M.O., kind of like the new Hydra in CA:WS. He can also more easily be turned to the heroes' side for extra drama, with more questions coming from whether or not such events will change him to be a hero.
Similarly, a Joker who killed Robin and got away with it is both a bit more threatening in a physical sense, but also a spiritual one towards any Batfamily members, particularly if the Robin comes back, as he has now proven he can twist you and he's still active.

So, keeping the characters seperate makes for a better story potential.

Well he was. Pre-Crisis Jason Todd that is. You know what that means, don't you? :o

That it was way before comics got good with the New 52, right? :o Who wants to read a DC Universe without skimpy outfit Starfire, Scott Snyder constantly trying to be "EPIC" to the detriment of his stories, Batwoman having vampire softcore and hanging out in space with Clayface, Harley/Deadshot, and Iron Tick? That's the only good DCU. :o

*waits for Regwec*

Last edited:
The depths fanboys will go to make excuses for things they don't like, sheesh. This is almost as bad as the (brief) theory that Eisenberg was playing Alexander Luthor Jr., lawd.

Why do you assume we don't like the way the Joker is? I LOVED the Joker in the trailer and if he is just the Joker and not Jason Todd then that would be 100% cool with me because I've liked what I've seen and I know Leto is going to hit it out of the park. I just like the theory story line even better and I hope they go that direction.

Btw, I doubt this will be settled in Suicide Squad. In Suicide Squad he will be presented as just the Joker and you'll have that one Batman cameo and that's it. I think this conflict between Batman and the Joker doesn't get explored till the first solo Batman movie. And at that point is when we'll know who the Joker really is. This theory alone is so good you could do a movie about it and I think that's exactly what the first Batman movie will be about.

It's because it's an interesting idea, hated on because of its break on the tiresome "status quo" :mnm:

It was a messed up Robin that created Harley...so what? At least he'd following on from the spirit of the true Joker.

The purple paint, and the overall shoddiest appearance of his clothing in the scene, stems from the suit having been stained and dyed on his body. So that is actually in the script.

Now, I'm going to try arguing that the JT=Joker theory is weaker in a literary sense. I understand that trying to "prove" or "disprove" a theory for a film 12 months away is strictly an academic excercise, but it's one that has dominated this thread for a tiring amount of time. So, if you'll follow, I'd like to discuss the merits and weakness of the theory and the more "orthodox" approach that clashes with it. If you disagree, I would greatly appreciate an examination of why, rather than a "agree to disagree" reasonse. It's not that the "agree to disagree" response is invalid as an argument, per se, as much as it just encourages a logger-heads-style stalemate when I'd like to move the discussion along.

So, I believe that if Leto's Joker is Jason Todd, or Dick Grayson, or some other Robin, the storyline is naturally weaker than it would be to keep Batman's arch nemesis and his pupils apart.

The biggest advantage to the theory is that it allows for a plot thread to incorporate multiple references and precedents in Batman media in one single "twist." That's also its biggest weakness; each element of the twist dilutes just a bit of each element's potential, since the twist requires more elements to be used to construct it than other hybrid story lines:

1. Jason Todd/Dick Grayson/Tim/Damian/whoever becoming an antagonist has a lot of power in its most basic format, but would lose something of the turn was coached as Joker #2. The turn feels more derivative than having them accept a separate identity; when Dick and Tim had their turns as Joker-style anatagonists, it removed some of the gravitas of having Dick and Tim be the opponent and replaced it with Joker analogues who are just enemies. TDKSA's Dick was a shallow character who's reveal felt more perfunctory than anything else, and the moment lacked the gut punch it could have had because of how alien the character had become, while ROTJ's Tim was literally hijacked by the Joker, and the two were so wildly different that they were different characters, and the goal became freeing Tim, instead of stopping Tim. Jason's return as the Red Hood embraced the character's personality and nuance to make an emotional conflict the center of the story; all his flaws and virtues were the same as they'd been as Robin, but amped up.

2.Joker having an origin as Robin lessens the character's terror as an autonomous threat to Batman, while simultaneously adding an extra stain to the hero's reputation that isn't needed. If Joker recieved his training and skill set from training with Batman, than in effect, he's a home grown problem that Batman understands. Even if he's an insane and broken former Robin, he's still someone Batman knows well enough to manipulate or analyze, kind of like how a bunch of the protagonist-created supervillains in Marvel are defeated because the hero ultimately knows their weak parts. Iron Man understood most of his villains because they were all evil-geniuses or evil businessmen who he's personally aggravated in some way, or were based off his personality like Ultron, and he exploited his knowledge against them to beat them. A Joker who develops largely independent of Batman (aside from the chemical bath) or other heroes still has a mystery and unpredictability to him that makes him a better counter to a hero as reflective and calculating as Batman.

3. Combining the characters eliminates the potential keeping them separate gives you. The more an evil Robin resembles his old self, the more fun you can have with him being ticked at and hostile towards his successors, whether they're Tim or Damian, and the more his renegade actions can be tied to Batman's actual goals and M.O., kind of like the new Hydra in CA:WS. He can also more easily be turned to the heroes' side for extra drama, with more questions coming from whether or not such events will change him to be a hero.
Similarly, a Joker who killed Robin and got away with it is both a bit more threatening in a physical sense, but also a spiritual one towards any Batfamily members, particularly if the Robin comes back, as he has now proven he can twist you and he's still active.

So, keeping the characters seperate makes for a better story potential.
I can't quite argue with all that...

So Leto could be playing two Jokers (which look identical to each other despite being two different characters), so fans can still get "the Joker they want" - presumably meaning a more traditional looking one.

Are we sure this theory isn't being championed by people who just aren't happy with the prospect of seeing a tattooed, metal-grinned Joker?

Even if this theory ended up being right (and believe me I would throw a **** fit), he would be the only Joker. So then we'd end up with a tattooed, metal-grinned Joker that used to be Robin. Sounds awesome. :dry:

No, it was a goof. Burton preferred the take with the stain so they used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"