Justice League JGL as Batman!!!???

I agree it doesn't change them , but it does add a super,meta human , whatever you wanna call it ,element to his universe to which Nolan went at great lenghts to keep out. It does basically say that the 3 mostly grounded in reality Nolan films took place in a world of superpowered and extraterrestrial beings. Particularly if you take a Nolan original character , to put him in the JLA, there's no way you can try to seperate the the Dark Knight trilogy reality from the one in which there are superpowered heroes and villans. That is unless , you start retconning stuff and trying to come up with convoluted explanations as to how it all makes sense.

A Blake JLA Batman, does continue in a sense, if not continue Nolan's story in a indirect way,( John Blake is a Nolan character Robin name or not), then the universe Nolan told his story in, which would be pretty much getting on Nolan's story bandwagon. In fact if the other part of the rumor about another character from the Nolan films is true, It would be a continuation of the Nolan saga in a sense.

There's no way of seperating it and trying to say its different. JLA would be as connected to the Nolan trilogy as the Marvel Phase one films are connected to Avengers .

While I agree, it wouldn't ruin the trilogy , it does begin to pull and strecth the world that Nolan created beyond the limits he ever intended , and does run the risk of just running it into the ground in a last gasp to try to make money off of a John Blake Batman.

Even worse is that Nolan wanted nothing to do with Justice League. He isn't involved, nor is anyone from his team.

I'm skeptical they could probably continue the TDKR universe without him.

Why? It doesn't change Nolan's 3 films.

No, but it's a *****e-bag thing to do given what he did for WB. He was given the privilege of being able to go out on his terms, a rarity if ever there was in Hollywood, and regardless of how people feel about how the film turned out quite frankly he earned the right to end the series how he wanted. Now if WB didn't like the idea of Batman being given an ending then that's something they should have thought about before bringing Nolan back. I remember there were murmurs about execs feeling nervous about the ending to Rises, that apprehension if true is probably because whatever chance there was of Bale's Batman appearing in a JL film was dead and buried. Using John Blake as Batman in a JL film is just grasping at straws, and just a flat out slap to the face of Nolan and the work he did for them, let not forget Inception made over $800 million dollars for WB, his last 3 films for them have made almost $3 Billion combined.

Now that I think about it, connecting Nolan's universe with JL makes NO SENSE simply from a plot perspective. Sure, in the comics when Batman is off fighting solo it is assumed the other members of the JL are busy, but you can not tell me Superman couldn't have stopped into a 6 month occupation of Gotham for a few minutes and done something.

They actually tackled this very thing in No Man's Land. A great story where Superman shows up and is completely out of his depth.

This is how DC picture the conversation with the general audience with regards to Justice League;

'Hey, there is going to be a Justice League movie'

'What's that?'

'Remember The Superfriends?'

'Yeah'

'Same thing'

'Will it have Batman?'

'Yes'

'Will it be the same Batman from the Nolan movie, those movies were great'

'No'

'Well count me out, other than the Nolan movies I think superheroes are silly'

That is how DC executives see the conversation going.

Um....ya, no. I am ready to let Nolans Bat universe rest in peace.

Last edited:
Um....ya, no. I am ready to let Nolans Bat universe rest in peace.

Exactly. My biggest problem is this very thing here more so than John Blake really. The Dark Knight trilogy was a great thing and it's supposed to be over now. Let's just quit while we're ahead before this turns into Star Wars.

And back to Terry McGuiness in Batman Beyond vs Blake, the very first episode of BB made me care about the character in 22 minutes. A whole 2 hours of TDKR did not make me care about John Blake. I honestly wasn't worried about him dying in the film even in the bridge standoff scene. I can't see the GA caring any more than I did on a widespread basis. So they'll probably end up whining about where Christian Bale is as much as the fanboys.

Not exactly. People kind of loved JGL and the ending and thought it would continue with him. I can understand why WB is doing this, and it's smart from a familiarity standpoint in possibly keeping him in. But damn it if it isn't still a bad idea. To me it's like, "hey, we let him do what you wanted, now that he's gone we can take what he did and use it despite him being against it."

Now how much will Nolan care in the end? I don't think as much as we might think. Though he would feel some sense of being screwed over by the people who turned around and used his own character to end the franchise he did and use it for their own means. Then again, he did get so much freedom before so perhaps it would be, "They let me do what I wanted for three movies, so since I'm gone, they can do these things in the end."

Because in the end, the studio is the studio and they hold the ultimate power, even if it's Nolan. Though to me this is a pretty unsavory act. Especially since Nolan has been consistently adament about his films being self contained. You'd think they would honor thay but I guess not.

Last edited:
Well, i'll still see the movie with a good attitude regardless but I really am not happy that this may possibly be really happening.

What a horrible idea...really. I mean it. It's just bad. So, my fears are really coming true. The Justice Leage film will take place in the watered-down universe created by Nolan. Not only that...but Bruce Wayne won't even be Batman. Well, we are off to a fantastic start. Going back to Marvel now.

Take this as Fanboy overreaction. But if this indeed happens, it's enough to make me not want to watch the Movie. In theaters at least. I'd patiently for the DVD release.

Well , hopefully this rumor is just execs kicking around ideas. The reaction has been more negative than positive ,so hopefully if its a trial balloon ,its full of led. It really is a bad idea not only for JLA but for any hopes of a rebooted non Nolan Batman francise .

It's kind of ironic given that I think Nolan ended his saga the way he did to attempt to ensure his story , including Blake, would pretty much be over so that WB could reboot.

Take this as Fanboy overreaction. But if this indeed happens, it's enough to make me not want to watch the Movie. In theaters at least. I'd patiently for the DVD release.

I agree 100%.

Going back to Marvel now.

I never left. Any competition that DC may have presented to Marvel in 2015 has now gone.

Marvel
IM3
Thor 2

DC
MoS

----------------------------

Marvel
Captain America 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man (maybe)
AM2
X:FC 2

DC
?? ?

-----------------------------

Marvel
Avengers 2

DC
Justice League

--------------------------------

The executives at DC should all be sacked

Don't agree with the idea of carrying on Nolan's continuity into this new era, nor do I agree with the idea of Blake taking up the mantle into this new era. However, had JGL not been cast in Nolan's trilogy, I feel he could've made an awesome Bruce Wayne/Batman.

How can Marvel get their stuff soooooo right and DC/WB so wrong?

I understand DC wanting to make the most of Nolan's movies but if that was the case they shouldn't have let Nolan put in the 8 year gap with no action and end it.

The right thing to do here is reboot WB. New Batman, New Batmobile, New villians, New story. Sorry for your bad luck but this universe shouldn't carry over to Justice League or Man of Steel.

I'm sure someone else said this earlier but the only way this works for the fans is if John Blake gets killed wearing the mantle and forces Bruce/Bale to suit back up. Even then I'm not sure how the whole thing works because Bruce is "dead" and his main super power was his $$ and access to technology.

Last edited:
I personally don't want to see a Justice League movie set in a cheap version of Nolan's universe. Why any REAL fan of Batman (not just the movies, but the comics, and animated series') would accept John Blake as Batman is completely beyond me. The comparison of Blake and McGuiness was brought up and someone stated that they cared more about Terry's character in 22 minutes than they did for Blake in the whole movie. I totally agree with this, Terry you actually cared about, Blake was too underdeveloped to be able to carry a movie on his own now.

Marvel Disney ultimately had a plan , and they had a clear objective on where they wanted to end up. They took the time, and took a risk , that building the characters seperately and laying the ground work would pay off in the end.

WB on the other hand has been pretty re-active as far as this project goes, even going back to 2007. They've wanted a quick cash grab and were gonna undermine Nolan after BB and cast Armie Hammer as Batman in JL. They were even going to use Talia as the villan , getting revenge for Ra's death , to which I doubt Nolan was very pleased.

And to be truthful, ever since Batman and Robin , WB has pretty much crashed and lurched into one bad idea over another with regards to their ideas for comic book properties from Tim Burtons Superman and all the horrid scripts, to the underwhelming SR while Smallville was on the air, , to the failed WW Tv pilot, Jonah Hex, Steel, Birds of Prey, GL , and etc.

In alot of ways ,Nolan's trilogy ,Smallville, and Arrow are rare in WB overall handling of its properties. We've been fortunate to have good creative teams with those three , so its understandable as to why WB wouldn't wanna walk away from anything with the Nolan brand slapped on it. However a John Blake Justice Leauge Batman sounds as wise as the dreadful Batman vs Superman idea which was the ill conceived JLA reactive project back in the early 2000's.

Blake can still act like Wayne. A name is just a name in a team-up movie. As ive said before, its not like they'll add in discussion or flashbacks to Waynes childhood. It's probably just Batman being Batman. Blake has a lot of the same characteristics as Bruce.

And it wouldn't undo anything in Nolans trilogy. It just means the Batman was the first before the rest of them. If you suddenly have aliens, you make sure they show the world and Gotham included being incredibly shocked by this discovery. Because it will be new to the world.

I'm sure someone else said this earlier but the only way this works for the fans is if John Blake gets killed wearing the mantle and forces Bruce/Bale to suit back up.

I must admit, that would be freaking awesome. How cool would it be to have Bale chew out Superman for not being able save Blake, even using the classic line from Superman 1 'All your powers and you couldn't even save him'.

It would be harsh Batman kicking the orphans out into the street but **** it they would be used to hard living :o

Of course i still dont like the idea of having aliens in the Nolan-verse.

I would laugh my ASS off if it's an actual reboot and we get a younger Bruce Wayne right. Then we see the movie and Superman and his friends don't even know Batmans identity throughout its entirety. And there's no Bruce Wayne brooding about his parents or anything. It would make no difference in that case if it was Wayne or Blake in the suit or cowl. But of course you guys would still be like "Well i dont care, at least it's Bruce Wayne!"

Give me a goddamn break!

The right thing to do here is reboot WB. New Batman, New Batmobile, New villians, New story.
You would still get this. Just not "Bruce Wayne". He's still out there in the universe, he can always make an appearance like in Beyond. IF JGL and Gary Oldman are signed on for instance, that's the only time i can see Bale agreeing to do a really small role.

I personally don't want to see a Justice League movie set in a cheap version of Nolan's universe. Why any REAL fan of Batman (not just the movies, but the comics, and animated series') would accept John Blake as Batman is completely beyond me. The comparison of Blake and McGuiness was brought up and someone stated that they cared more about Terry's character in 22 minutes than they did for Blake in the whole movie. I totally agree with this, Terry you actually cared about, Blake was too underdeveloped to be able to carry a movie on his own now.
You call it cheap, i call it rich. Just because you didn't care about Blake doesn't mean everybody else felt the same. Good for you if you didn't. I cared about him after his second scene. If you throw him into JL, by then he can carry his own solo film. It's JGL for one and secondly stop jumping the gun here...you havent even seen a Justice League movie with Blake, how do you know how he'll develop?

ideas like Blake can 'act like Wayne' and it doesn't matter because it's just 'Batman being Batman' are horse ****. Why don't they go all out? Have Snyder introduce a guy named...let's say 'Steve Johnson' in MoS and let him be the new Superman, since the person under the suit apparently doesn't matter.

Anyway, like Frodo said I suspect this is a trial balloon and will go away quickly. I like JGL and if they want him as our new Bruce Wayne, no problem. But Shoehorning his TDKR character in there just to keep Nolan's setting around would be stupid. If they want to do *that*, they need to start throwing big sacks of cash at Bale (another move I would support).

The right thing to do here is reboot WB. New Batman, New Batmobile, New villians, New story.

I think this would be the best option.

I would obviously prefer Bale to do this but Blake doesn't bother me like others. Not at all. I have no attachment to the original concept of the Justice League nor do i have a desire to see a new Bruce Wayne/Batman in just 3 years from now.

ideas like Blake can 'act like Wayne' and it doesn't matter because it's just 'Batman being Batman' are horse ****. Why don't they go all out? Have Snyder introduce a guy named...let's say 'Steve Johnson' in MoS and let him be the new Superman, since the person under the suit apparently doesn't matter.

:up:

Exactly. I'm actually surprised so many on these boards are totally okay with a generic character in a batsuit over the real Batman. Makes no sense to me. Characters are about more than the externals.

this is silly as ****.

what the hell does McWeeny know anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"