Justice League JGL as Batman!!!???

Let's hope so. Im surprised the reaction here is so mixed? The appeal of Batman is that he is Bruce Wayne.John Blake doesnt even exist in the books. Id be more cool with this idea if it were Dick Grayson or even Terry McGuiness.

Reboot Batman in Justice League, with BRUCE being Batman not Blake. Plus, isnt this movie supposed to spin off a new Batman series?

Who the hell wants to see a John Blake solo franchise.....?
I do actually. I wanted to see JGL continue the franchise as a version of Nightwing but ill take a new Batman if this rumor is true. I'm no purist, i can care less about how it matches with the books. I dont read Justice League comics or watch the animation for it. I've loved Batman since i was 3 years old, and only care about the comics when it's in the hands of a specific/good writer. TDK Trilogy is my favorite interpretation of the character and it has set up a new identity to take up the mantle...If Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues in a JLA or a solo spin-off then i'll probably be more excited for it to be honest.

I'm one of the fans who believes it's too soon to reboot with a new Bruce Wayne in a new universe. WAY too soon. 3 years?? It's ridiculous.

Imagine what Avengers would have been like, if instead of Tony Stark, it was James Rhodes in the armor.

FAR worse than that. James Rhodes at least has a long history in the comics and has been a strong supporting character for the past 2 movies and presumably in Iron Man 3 as well. Blake is just a character invented for the movie that wasn't even fully developed and is one of the main reasons why a lot of fans were so split on TDKR and specifically even more split on TDKR's ending. If this is true, WB is literally just using Levitt and his character to cash in on the JL movie being connected to the Nolan Batman films. This also shows they have zero confidence in a Batman reboot or in another actor to portray Batman, if this is the case.

I would personally be disgusted by this if it was true. We finally get the JL film fans wished for decades to see and Bruce Wayne won't even be in it. That is a slap in the face to all the Batman fans out there. It's like having a Superman that's not Clark Kent in the first JL film. Anyone who says "It's no big deal if it's not Bruce" clearly doesn't understand the meaning behind the Justice League and behind the Superman/Batman dynamic. It wouldn't be a big deal if this was the 8th JL film or so but this will be the first and possibly the only JL movie we get and if it gets a sequel, chances are Bruce won't come back because it will be a continuation of the first JL film.

This will fail big time if it's true.

Last edited:
Do so many of you rally find John Blake to be a compelling character? He was so two-dimensional, flat, and undeveloped... not to mention quite a Gary Stue.

I'm pretty happy about this, if it's true!

After the end of TDKR, I was disappointed that I would never know what Blake was going to be like as the new Batman.

However, I can, of course, understand why there are people who would rather have Bruce Wayne.

Do so many of you rally find John Blake to be a compelling character? He was so two-dimensional, flat, and undeveloped... not to mention quite a Gary Stue.
I was interested in his character. But then again, if i wasn't such a fan of JGL maybe i wouldn't give a damn. I guess JGL made me give a damn. I just know the guy can bulk up and deliver a great performance so i can see him as the Batman or Nightwing. As long as it's a more tech driven Bats.

I'm pretty happy about this, if it's true!

After the end of TDKR, I was disappointed that I would never know what Blake was going to be like as the new Batman.

However, I can, of course, understand why there are people who would rather have Bruce Wayne.
My EXACT thoughts. I totally get why people want Bruce, but i love this rumor. I stepped out of TDKR with a bunch of friends and we all said the same thing. "Damnit that was a great ending but now i wanna see Blake continue on."

Blakeman... heh.

I have a feeling Nolan and WB have split ways and WB is just doing this without his consent.

This is one of the worst ideas WB has put forward if true.

If there's anything that I learned from the whole Terminator Salvation fiasco, it's that fanboys don't know jack and should be kept out of the filmmaking process (and I'm saying this as a fanboy myself).

I think WB should go on ahead with this idea - if it's done right, it could potentially be brilliant. It all depends on the execution. Making Blake a Terry McGinnis-style Batman would be the best way to go, I think.

And who knows, depending on how the Justice League franchise goes, they could find a way to bring Bruce back.

All this says to me is that WB and some fans, aren't ready to let the Nolanverse go yet, even though its over. Its understandable given the success and quality of the Nolan films , but all you're really doing imo is beating a dead horse. I had issues with the end of TDKR but it was an end not only to Bruce's story but to that universe.

This rumor had better be bogus. I liked the Blake character and I accept him as the Nolan version of Robin/Batman's successor... but if and when Superman and Batman team up, it had better be Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne.

You know, I think the worst part about Blake Batman is that he's just a regular guy. Bruce trained for years and traveled the world. He took down 3 major villains over the span of the movies and countless lesser criminals. Blake was just a beat cop. Gotham is a rough town to be a cop in but there is still no comparison. Blake would be a Joe Schmo with a bunch of gadgets. Wayne would be... IS a legend.

Well, hopefully (and dare I say probably?) this will be like many other early strange rumours on previous films. If not, I don't understand how WB thinks here.

If there's anything that I learned from the whole Terminator Salvation fiasco, it's that fanboys don't know jack and should be kept out of the filmmaking process (and I'm saying this as a fanboy myself).

I think WB should go on ahead with this idea - if it's done right, it could potentially be brilliant. It all depends on the execution. Making Blake a Terry McGinnis-style Batman would be the best way to go, I think.

And who knows, depending on how the Justice League franchise goes, they could find a way to bring Bruce back.

If I learned anything from the Terminator fiasco it is that Johnathan Nolan is quite overrated.

Thank you sir. Most of the time a fanboy or purist can be the worst thing. A film doesn't need to be a replica of the comic books or source material. If something works, then it works, and we dont know how this will come out. Blake would indeed be the Terry McGinnis of this universe and it could be something special. People have a closed mind. I understand the desire for Bruce/Clark but this genre needs to take risks in order to move forward.

The Tim Burton movies were risks and so were the Nolan movies. Batman Returns failed in some peoples eyes but at least it was trying something new. So is Man Of Steel and its approach. Justice League isn't much of a risk coming after Avengers. It's just another team-up of superheroes fighting an evil force and winning the battle. If they can change the tone a bit, or change the lineup, and do something unexpected why not go along for the ride and judge it when you see it. Batman Beyond was another risk that actually paid off. It was pretty whacky on paper.

Besides the weirdness of a JL film without Bruce Wayne, or any opinion of JGL, I'd just rather a Justice League film not have anything to do with Nolan's films.

At the same time, we aren't talking about getting rid of a certain aspect of a costume someone likes, or even changing an origin story, we're talking about excluding a well established and well loved character in favor of a fairly flat replacement that is a weird algamation of sidekicks.

You know, I think the worst part about Blake Batman is that he's just a regular guy. Bruce trained for years and traveled the world. He took down 3 major villains over the span of the movies and countless lesser criminals. Blake was just a beat cop. Gotham is a rough town to be a cop in but there is still no comparison. Blake would be a Joe Schmo with a bunch of gadgets. Wayne would be... IS a legend.

Wayne's training wasn't extraordinary. Not in the Nolanverse. He was gone for 7 years only?

Like Ra's said "the training is nothing, the will is everything". Blake's got the will, even more so than Bruce in the beginning of TDKR at least (not to mention that they've got the same backstory/motivation to fight crime). Now Blake has the resources.

Now all he needs is a bit more training (on top of the fact that he was already a trained police officer/detective), not that the movie has to show this, it can take place a few years in the future.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind JGL/Blake as Batman in a JL movie. As long as they give him a lot of the same character traits attributed to Bruce. He should at least have a relationship with Lucius/Wayne enterprises. The lack of training can even be addressed by making Blake a slightly more tech-reliant Batman. In fact, this can somewhat compensate for Batman being able to stand alongside the rest of the Justice League.

I agree. Perhaps Fox and Blake could develop a closer relationship more than Bruce ever did. (Fox as being Blake's Alfred/father figure).

He also has the same backstory, and drive as Bruce (traumatized by the murder of his parents, raised as an orphan, wants to fight crime, balancing justice/revenge on criminals). He's pretty much Bruce Wayne...Plus, he could bring more of the detective side to Bats that wasn't really in the Nolanverse. That could be his role in the JL, along with the gadgets.

I hope they don't try to make him emulate the Nolan Bruce though, with regards to the voice, and the yelling.

I love that stuff, but it would seem odd is another character also did the same thing. That 'becoming a monster' stuff seemed very tied to Bruce on a personal level in the Nolanverse.

Perhaps they can make Blake more like the Bruce we know from pre-Nolan; Intimidating in his quietness, etc. Still embodying 'fear', but in a different way than Nolan-Bruce did ("Swear to me!")

In fact, the League of Shadows, the fear toxin, the Microwave emitter, the fusion reactor, and even the Bat are somewhat fantastical elements that exist in the Nolan-verse.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I really hope this is just a bad rumor. Yes, I liked the Blake character but Bruce Wayne is Batman. After years of hoping and wishing for a JL movie, if my favorite character is not there, meaning Bruce Wayne, I rather there not even be a JL film.

The only way this could work is if they have Connor as Superman, Cassie as WonderWoman, Jackson as Aquaman, Kyle as GL and called it a Young Justice movie. I would be all for that, but John Blake as Batman in the Justice League is an insult.
Plus both Nolan and Bale don't want their films to have anything to do with the JL movie. While WB may feel like they can just blow off Bale, they would be really stupid to burn that bridge with Chris Nolan. Plus JGL should have more respect for Nolan's wishes for his Batman universe to be complete to even do this.

This is how I feel if it turns out that this rumor is true, however, I'm willing to bet money in Vegas that Bruce Wayne will be Batman in the JL film, that it will have the original line-up(meaning Barry and Hal instead of Wally and Jon, no matter how much I want the latter) and that no one from the Nolan films will be in it.

Nolan may end up giving JGL the thumbs up. I mean, he told his Bruce Wayne story. It ended his legend and maybe it's the beginning of a new one. Nolan doesn't own Batman.

JGL said if the script intrigues him as well as the director, he'll do it. If Will Beall's script has an opening for that Batman and JGL liked it...then he will sign on. It's simple.

I hope they don't try to make him emulate the Nolan Bruce though, with regards to the voice, and the yelling.

I love that stuff, but it would seem odd is another character also did the same thing. That 'becoming a monster' stuff seemed very tied to Bruce on a personal level in the Nolanverse.

Perhaps they can make Blake more like the Bruce we know from pre-Nolan; Intimidating in his quietness, etc. Still embodying 'fear', but in a different way than Nolan-Bruce did ("Swear to me!")
JGL using the Keaton approach would be for the best. He already has a smoother less aggressive voice as it is.

Let us play a game of logic. First and foremost what are the odds WB would want to screw with the Nolan Batman series by continuing it on with JGL as the new Batman? Slim, why? Because Nolan is their golden boy and regardless of the fact he's finished with the franchise they still want a partnership him and his production company for future movies. The relationship has been good for both sides and screwing that up potentially hurts WB more than it does Nolan and Co, plenty of studios would jump at the opportunity to work with Nolan. Second JGL. What are the odds that he was signed to a multi-film contract? None. What are the odds that he would return as Batman without Chris Nolan's involvement? Slim. In conclusion I think this is nothing more than a piece of crap.

Last edited:
I agree. Perhaps Fox and Blake could develop a closer relationship more than Bruce ever did. (Fox as being Blake's Alfred/father figure).

He also has the same backstory, and drive as Bruce (traumatized by the murder of his parents, raised as an orphan, wants to fight crime, balancing justice/revenge on criminals). He's pretty much Bruce Wayne...Plus, he could bring more of the detective side to Bats that wasn't really in the Nolanverse. That could be his role in the JL, along with the gadgets.

Agreed.

Plus they could always show Blake mention about his training from Bruce and so forth.

I've heard a rumor that JGL is the rebooted Bruce Wayne/Batman and his casting choice is more of a nod to Nolan's films which, IMO, would be fine and kind of a cool way to reboot. However, it will confuse the **** out of the GA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"