John Carter : A Princess of Mars - Part 4

Also John McTiernan directing a Schwarzenegger-led Sgt. Rock movie? We got screwed BIG time.

Mars Needs Moms probably failed because the marketing campaign was terrible and the movie itself looked awful. That motion capture technique isn't as good as it once looked.

Flash Gordon sucked anyway.
giphy_zpsf7cd8760.gif

I saw the movie a few weeks ago on cable.I enjoyed it.I didn't know a whole lot about The character beforehand.I think I saw a Syfy channel version a few years back,but that's the extent of my knowledge of it.

Like I said,it was pretty good.I don't see why it was a colossal failure.

Rumors are that Disney gave up on the film, they stopped believing in it. The other rumor and some truth, right before it was released the head of marketing didn't know what they were doing, and that person was fired soon after.

Last edited:
this movie wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed it.

I know that I've seen far, far worse...........lol

The movie was decent, although I thought that it dragged at points. Lynn Collins is awesome.

Why did people complain about Led Zeppelin being used in the marketing? Was it that they just didn't think LZ's music fit with the movie or something else?

I don't know if I've posted this before or not but I really like the movie. There are a few things that where changed from the book that I'm not sure should have been changed but there where things changed that I liked.

Well, Led Zeppelin is an odd choice for a movie with this premise and in this genre. I personally didn't mind it, but I can see why some other people might have found it weird.

I liked the movie and I think there's much worse out there.

The movie was sunk by terrible marketing in my opinion. Also, the title of the movie doesn't tell you what the movie is about. John Carter is a typical WASP name that means nothing to most people.

People actually cared about Kashmir being used in the marketing? What a stupid reason to complain.

And I agree. What killed this movie was the marketing. But remember guys. Disney has Marvel and Star Wars. They get to take chances with movies. If it bombs, it isn't catastrophic.

I'd heard Disney shortchanged this film's marketing for fear it would take away from Episode VII's profits. Due to audience fatigue with SF.

Actually the people who led the marketing for John Carter just totally failed. Not just this dude, but there was a lady who lead the marketing as well and she was let go last year. She had no prior entertainment experience, and she was the one who thought 'John Carter of Mars' would be a turn off because the public, especially women, didn't like Sci-Fi or 'Mars'. So they changed it to just 'John Carter'....

Which is silly because the posters didn't hide the fact that's a high-concept sci-fi/fantasy, and not a small family drama starring Tom Hanks as a windower. One of the posters literally featured the title character fighting giant multi-armed alien apes. The title change was undeniably strange and disastrous, and after the fact, a detriment to the ad campaign.

Last edited:
Because the reviews would have been different and the movie would have made more money if it was called JOHN CARTER OF MARS?

I've said this before I never saw it in the theaters because the trailers didn't wow me but I watched it on blu-ray and really enjoyed it, it's a shame the marketing killed it because I thought it was a really fun time.

Marketing wasn't the only problem. It would have been a decent success if the Finding Nemo guy wasn't arrogant and let the budget balloon like he did. Also you don't cast Gambit as the hero if you want the movie to be successful

I think the only downside of the film was the complex nature of the story.It reminded me of Dune in that respect (to a much lesser extent).On the first viewing it gets a little tough to keep track of who wants to do what to whom and why.I thought I had it straight until those guys who are like The Watcher (only without restraint) showed up.

Because the reviews would have been different and the movie would have made more money if it was called JOHN CARTER OF MARS?

No. But the point was how they clearly didn't how to handle this thing.

I think the only downside of the film was the complex nature of the story.It reminded me of Dune in that respect (to a much lesser extent).On the first viewing it gets a little tough to keep track of who wants to do what to whom and why.I thought I had it straight until those guys who are like The Watcher (only without restraint) showed up.

Maybe it should've been a TV show instead? I don't know.

I think the only downside of the film was the complex nature of the story. On the first viewing it gets a little tough to keep track of who wants to do what to whom and why.

Yep. I saw this movie once in theaters and that was my main problem. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. Too many unpronounceable names, I couldn't follow the plot. I wanted to get into it, but I just couldn't. Maybe I'll give this movie another chance sometime.

Gambit, chick from Wolverine, Mark Strong and Willem Dafoe. The character names don't matter because the movie is meh at best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"