Superman Returns John Ottman on Superman Returns score

SpiderDaniel said:
Although i`d prefer that Williams was the composer of this movie, i`m fine with Ottman. His Usual Suspects theme is amazing. Im sure he will do the score justice and i`m glad he won`t write the theme note by note, but will add his own spin to it. Thats good since this movie isn`t Superman the movie.

I think Ottman will do good. His take on it will no doubt be classic but new at the same time. You gotta have that classic Superman theme, and I don't think John is going to hender the soundtrack in anyway, this is Superman, probably one of his biggest projects yet.

So more than just the Superman theme will be used? Sweet :up:

Good Find. This still dissappoints me however.

I'm still not convinced that he really has the talent to adapt Williams. (his previous works show that) Plus some of his comments bug Me. Lex Luthor didn't have a theme??? Williams titled it as "March of the Villains" It was a general theme showcasing Luthor an his cronies.

Second, I still fail to see how Film scores are or get dated?? Even the really old scores.

To me this is just more bad news on the Scoring aspect of this movie.

The only thing this tells me is that they were waiting for the new music to put in the trailer.

Kroc1138 said:
To me this is just more bad news on the Scoring aspect of this movie.

Nope, in fact, it was much better news for me. I liked Ottman's obvious enthusiam and respect for Williams's work, and his consideration in adapting it.

My fear was that we'd hear only a hint of the Superman theme. Now we learn we're getting not one, not two but three or more themes from the Williams score. And also that he's expounding upon the theme to create a more 'emotional' motiff for Superman.

Also, Lex really didn't have a theme. It was more of an Otis theme, which was overly 'bouncy' and goofy.

I always, when I was younger, mistook it for the Jawa theme from Star Wars. And yes, the person it stays on most is Otis, not Lex. It's introduced with Otis, it plays loudest with Otis--usually when it's just Lex, the music is darker and less melodic.

It was called "March of the Villains" but it's "Otis' happy fun time looney tunes homage." in reality.

So more than just the Superman theme will be used?

I think maybe I missed a joke or somethin, but yeah--that was stated in the first few posts of the thread :)

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Nope, in fact, it was much better news for me. I liked Ottman's obvious enthusiam and respect for Williams's work, and his consideration in adapting it.
If You know about previous post on this matter, then you would know that I've been against the notion of anybody adapting Williams' Superman Score. Mainly b/c when it was done last time it was terrible. (and ken Thorne actually has talent) But However there are some composer who I think are up to it. William Ross did a great Job adapting for Chamber of Secrets. David Arnold on the other hand has a style that very closely resembles Williams. (Listen to his Wing Coomander Overture)

Now Ottman on the other Hand I find to be Talentless to say the least. All of his scores that I have heard are either forgettable or are just downright awful. That's my feeling on the matter

My fear was that we'd hear only a hint of the Superman theme. Now we learn we're getting not one, not two but three or more themes from the Williams score. And also that he's expounding upon the theme to create a more 'emotional' motiff for Superman.
To me that just shows that, a Bad adaptation of Williams" score (and Possibly inappropriate uses of certain cues) along with Ottman forgettable work.

Also, Lex really didn't have a theme. It was more of an Otis theme, which was overly 'bouncy' and goofy.
It was Called March of the Villain for a reason. I actually Listened to the version that was used in the Film and the Concert arraingment and I can see aspects of it sounding a bit Lighthearted, but other aspects of it sounding dark and steathy. It fit Luthor because in the movie he kind of disarmed Superman by acting like a pushover Villain a Goofball who in the end ensnared and incapacitated Superman.

Plus Listening to the Complete score album there are tons of Moments throughtout where the theme is used in Contrast to Superman's heroic theme when he is Chasing the Rockets and Trying to Stop the Earthquake. Why the hell would Williams use "Otis's" (a secondary character's) Theme like that?? For that Matter why would a Villian Crony even have a theme and not the main villain?? Ottman is Full of it.

but other aspects of it sounding dark and steathy.

LOL, there is no part of that cue that is ever "dark and stealthy" The closest it's ever come to approaching it is Misguided Missiles.

Ottman is definitely not full of it. It's a very valid interpretation, title of the track be damned. And you're pretty good at seeing what you want to see, I'll give you that, but incorporating parts of Williams' score including the Krypton and Love themes--that doesn't automatically trigger "BAD" in flashing lights. No more so than when Patrick Doyle adapted themes for Harry Potter, or Don Davis adapted themes for Jurassic Park, along with the other examples you've listed. And none of those composers had the added benefit of knowing how the movie was unfolding because those two weren't EDITING THE MOVIE as well.

Yes, last time someone adapted a Superman Score--it was terrible. It was also monetarily hamstrung, on a rushed schedule, and it's not some evidence of immutable law.

As to how the Usual Suspects score put you to sleep, I dunno, but to each his reach ;)

Kroc1138 said:
If You know about previous post on this matter, then you would know that I've been against the notion of anybody adapting Williams' Superman Score. Mainly b/c when it was done last time it was terrible. (and ken Thorne actually has talent) But However there are some composer who I think are up to it. William Ross did a great Job adapting for Chamber of Secrets. David Arnold on the other hand has a style that very closely resembles Williams. (Listen to his Wing Coomander Overture)

No, I don't keep up with your previous posts. All I did was say that it wasn't bad news for me but was in fact quite the opposite. It seems a lot of people here are of a similiar mind.

Unfortunately, Thorne had to work with a very small piece orchestra (in comparison to Williams) and what seemed like to me fewer rehearsals. The result was a terribly imbalanced score that lacked that cohension that Williams had. The instruments simply didn't come together well and it sounded more like a marching band than a full piece symphony orchestra.

Now Ottman on the other Hand I find to be Talentless to say the least. All of his scores that I have heard are either forgettable or are just downright awful. That's my feeling on the matter

The Usual Suspects is a brilliant score. More moody than thematic, but with some great kenetic moments.

To me that just shows that, a Bad adaptation of Williams" score (and Possibly inappropriate uses of certain cues) along with Ottman forgettable work.

Considering you nor I nor anyone has heard anything Ottman's done for this score I'd say that it's premature if you're saying it's a "Bad adaptation". If not, forgive me. I had trouble understanding what you just said.

It was Called March of the Villain for a reason. I actually Listened to the version that was used in the Film and the Concert arraingment and I can see aspects of it sounding a bit Lighthearted, but other aspects of it sounding dark and steathy. It fit Luthor because in the movie he kind of disarmed Superman by acting like a pushover Villain a Goofball who in the end ensnared and incapacitated Superman.

It was actually called 'March of the Villains', but it was much more prevailent when showing Otis. The first time we hear the music is when we see Otis making his way to Luthor's lair. Pretty much any other time we see Otis, we get that bouncy motiff.

When we see Luthor, we may get one of Williams's 'short-stopped' variations on the theme, whereas Williams proceeds with the theme but doesn't finish it up, instead lets the theme drift away or into another motiff. Now he does slow the tempo down or put a very deliberate, low piece sound to it for those ominous moments, but that's not as common as the upbeat variation.

Otis was campy, and the soundtrack appropriately underscored that. If you've ever seen older comedies, they used the tuba a lot because it's such an exaggerated, bulky sound. Williams is known for his old-school score homages. It's a very lighthearted, silly sound, and it fit Otis very well.

Listening to the soundtrack completely, if you think the majority of the 'March of the Villains' cues used in it are "dark and stealthy", you should go back and give it a listen, because that simply is not the case. Any fan or avid listener of Williams knows what the man can do when he truly wants to do dark. 'March of the Villains' is not dark.

Plus Listening to the Complete score album there are tons of Moments throughtout where the theme is used in Contrast to Superman's heroic theme when he is Chasing the Rockets and Trying to Stop the Earthquake. Why the hell would Williams use "Otis's" (a secondary character's) Theme like that?? For that Matter why would a Villian Crony even have a theme and not the main villain?? Ottman is Full of it.

I don't think it's Ottman that is full of it here, pal. :)

SolidSnakeMGS said:
No, I don't keep up with your previous posts. All I did was say that it wasn't bad news for me but was in fact quite the opposite. It seems a lot of people here are of a similiar mind.
I figure you wouldn't have. Who does, I was just simply making my opinion known tot hose that don't know it.

Unfortunately, Thorne had to work with a very small piece orchestra (in comparison to Williams) and what seemed like to me fewer rehearsals. The result was a terribly imbalanced score that lacked that cohension that Williams had. The instruments simply didn't come together well and it sounded more like a marching band than a full piece symphony orchestra.
I know all that already. I was mostly referring to The inappropriate Usage of certain themes. I was also referring to Thorne's Work on Superman 3 and Alexander Courage's Work on Superman 4. I didn't really care much of either score. (Except: In the case of Thorne his more original work. In the case of Courage I just didn't like the performances of any of the themes, I liked how Williams did come back to Compose two new Themes, but they badly Mangled by Courage's Conducting )

Seeing as how I Think Both Composers are More talented than Ottman So I'm not expecting much from Him.

The Usual Suspects is a brilliant score. More moody than thematic, but with some great kenetic moments.
I Like Moody scores just as much as thematic scores, so pointing out a difference doesn't really help in the fact that I didn't like that score either. I'm just not a fan of it, It just seemed to generic of other composers that I like. Plus I just Hate his performances.

Considering you nor I nor anyone has heard anything Ottman's done for this score I'd say that it's premature if you're saying it's a "Bad adaptation". If not, forgive me. I had trouble understanding what you just said.

It's quite simple. What I was getting at is that I think That a Composer who I find to be Ill suited for the Job of Scoring Superhero Movies. (Much less adapt a well loved score that two other talented composers did a bad job of adapting) That's Right I didn't Like his X2 score or his F4 score either, so what do you expect me to think when a Composer that I don't Like is going to score a movie of my Favorite Superhero and butcher On of My favorite scores? It's called lowered expectations. (Btw. Ottman did another adaptation of another famous score: Halloween. I thought He did a lousy job there as well which is another reason why I have my feelings)

Oh and why can't people have bad vibes anymore. Why is it that every bad preconception/"prediction" has to be shut down. (I don't mind mine being questioned) I feel that I (and SOME) have every reason to have bad feelings about certain things. I at least draw My conclusion based on what is preseted to me and go from there. Sometimes it's less. (surprisingly enough, I'm right at least 90% of the time) :) It how I knew I would hate the Batman Begins Score b/c Hans Zimmer was on board. (not a fan of his)

It was actually called 'March of the Villains', but it was much more prevailent when showing Otis. The first time we hear the music is when we see Otis making his way to Luthor's lair. Pretty much any other time we see Otis, we get that bouncy motiff.
IIRC, the only time it is used for Otis was when when He was walking to Luthor's Lair. All other time it is used to underscore Luthor's plot and in his Villainous acts which are carried out by Luthor and his Cronies. Hence the reason is called March of the Villains. Plural, thus meaning it is a general theme used to underscore all the primary acts of Villainy in the film. Since most of the major acts lead directly to Luthor it is his theme in the end since he is the mastermind. Williams does that from time to time with some of his other scores.

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme): He uses it to underscore the Empire and all of it's evil, but he uses it for one of the Root Villains in the movie Darth Vader.

Palpatine's theme: The same can be assumed for Palpatine's Theme. It underscored the Sith in some occasions in the Prequels but it was mainly Palpatine's theme in the end.

The Force Theme (Ben's theme): Again the same as the others. Used for two different aspects in each Film, the Usage of the Force and for Obi Wan Kenobi.

When we see Luthor, we may get one of Williams's 'short-stopped' variations on the theme, whereas Williams proceeds with the theme but doesn't finish it up, instead lets the theme drift away or into another motiff. Now he does slow the tempo down or put a very deliberate, low piece sound to it for those ominous moments, but that's not as common as the upbeat variation.
Otis was campy, and the soundtrack appropriately underscored that. If you've ever seen older comedies, they used the tuba a lot because it's such an exaggerated, bulky sound. Williams is known for his old-school score homages. It's a very lighthearted, silly sound, and it fit Otis very well.
My response to this is related to my post above. Just like how Williams uses one theme for more person/entity he did the same here.
For Otis he used in in a more comical context. For Luthor, on the other hand, he used in a darker more devious manner. Any fan of William would know he does this from time to time.

Listening to the soundtrack completely, if you think the majority of the 'March of the Villains' cues used in it are "dark and stealthy", you should go back and give it a listen, because that simply is not the case. Any fan or avid listener of Williams knows what the man can do when he truly wants to do dark. 'March of the Villains' is not dark.
Your right. When put in it's Proper Context (when Applied to Luthor) it's certainly not very Lighthearted or comical at all. Such example: When Luthor Tosses Superman into hi Pool there is a Menacing Rendition of Luthor's Theme Playing. (sort of a "I have You where I want You" Motif) Plus there are numerous time when there are string variants of the Villain March. (I.e Luthor Killing the Cop with the Train)

I've listened to The Complete Superman Score Way too many times. What you are forgetting when you listen to the score or when watching the movie is the context of theme's usage.

I don't think it's Ottman that is full of it here, pal. :)
I'm not convinced. He's still talking out of his ass in that little commentary.

If his X2 and F4 scores are any indication...the Superman score will work against the images on screen. They should have gotten Giacchino.

I'm thinking he realized the importance of this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him borrow a few of Williams ideas in some other parts of the soundtrack.

I hope singer rejects his score and hires Michael Giacchino stat.

Stewie Griffin said:
I hope singer rejects his score and hires Michael Giacchino stat.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Michael Giacchino? I'm not sure I've heard of him. More than likely I've heard his work, but just didn't know it was him.

Metropolis_Man said:
Thanks Green. I'm going to check it out now.

Your welcome, enjoy.:up:

Kroc1138 said:
It's quite simple. What I was getting at is that I think That a Composer who I find to be Ill suited for the Job of Scoring Superhero Movies. (Much less adapt a well loved score that two other talented composers did a bad job of adapting) That's Right I didn't Like his X2 score or his F4 score either, so what do you expect me to think when a Composer that I don't Like is going to score a movie of my Favorite Superhero and butcher On of My favorite scores? It's called lowered expectations. (Btw. Ottman did another adaptation of another famous score: Halloween. I thought He did a lousy job there as well which is another reason why I have my feelings)

Well, that's fine if you're prejudging someone on previous works. We all do it. But you need to take into consideration something which you already know; Ottman is basing his score around previously existing Williams material.

You apparently love Williams and hate Ottman's original work, so this score should be looking pretty good for you since it hits this balance.

Oh and why can't people have bad vibes anymore. Why is it that every bad preconception/"prediction" has to be shut down. (I don't mind mine being questioned) I feel that I (and SOME) have every reason to have bad feelings about certain things. I at least draw My conclusion based on what is preseted to me and go from there. Sometimes it's less. (surprisingly enough, I'm right at least 90% of the time) :) It how I knew I would hate the Batman Begins Score b/c Hans Zimmer was on board. (not a fan of his)

It isn't your "vibe" I'm questioning. If you feel 'March of the Villains is dark, then I have to question your experience or perception.

IIRC, the only time it is used for Otis was when when He was walking to Luthor's Lair. All other time it is used to underscore Luthor's plot and in his Villainous acts which are carried out by Luthor and his Cronies. Hence the reason is called March of the Villains. Plural, thus meaning it is a general theme used to underscore all the primary acts of Villainy in the film. Since most of the major acts lead directly to Luthor it is his theme in the end since he is the mastermind. Williams does that from time to time with some of his other scores.

The FIRST time we see Otis, we hear the Villains theme.

The theme stops, and then starts back up shortly after when Otis is inside the tunnel going to Lex's lair, as he begins to eat.

The FIRST time we see Lex, we do NOT hear the Villains theme. We hear a small little incidental pull of strings.

The next time we hear the Villains theme is when we see Otis again after Lex and Co. have flipped the car to stop the military convoy. The theme continues as he makes his way to and climbs up the truck carrying the missle.

Next we see the Army men gathered around Ms Teschmacher who is acting as the distraction. The theme is basically atmospheric here without any real theme.

Again, we see Otis and hear the Villains theme as he inputs the code to the missile.

We see Lex again AND still NO Villains theme.

However, as Otis bounds down from the hill to regroup, we AGAIN hear the Villains theme, and it ends almost exactly as he gets into the van and we see Luthor.

The only time we hear anything close to the Villains march when Lex is onscreen is after he dumps Superman into the pool with the necklace of Kryptonite. The theme is slower, lower, and does what I call a 'Williams short-stop' where the theme doesn't finish but instead rolls into a slight downbeat flourish. He doesn't even get the complete motiff.

Now I may be missing some stuff, but I think the above is fairly accurate and complete.

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme): He uses it to underscore the Empire and all of it's evil, but he uses it for one of the Root Villains in the movie Darth Vader.

Palpatine's theme: The same can be assumed for Palpatine's Theme. It underscored the Sith in some occasions in the Prequels but it was mainly Palpatine's theme in the end.

The Force Theme (Ben's theme): Again the same as the others. Used for two different aspects in each Film, the Usage of the Force and for Obi Wan Kenobi.

I have no argument about that, but it doesn't really relate because Williams focuses his motiff just about exclusively on Otis, as I have pointed out.

My response to this is related to my post above. Just like how Williams uses one theme for more person/entity he did the same here.
For Otis he used in in a more comical context. For Luthor, on the other hand, he used in a darker more devious manner. Any fan of William would know he does this from time to time.

My first soundtrack was Williams. I have most of his stuff. Of course I know this. But any Williams fan would also know that he sometimes deviates from his formula and likes to mix it up occasionally.

Your right. When put in it's Proper Context (when Applied to Luthor) it's certainly not very Lighthearted or comical at all. Such example: When Luthor Tosses Superman into hi Pool there is a Menacing Rendition of Luthor's Theme Playing. (sort of a "I have You where I want You" Motif) Plus there are numerous time when there are string variants of the Villain March. (I.e Luthor Killing the Cop with the Train)

When Lex kills the cop, you do not hear a Villains theme. You pretty much just hear an unrelated theme of peril that has no real part of the Villians theme in it nor is it a part of the Villains theme.

I've listened to The Complete Superman Score Way too many times. What you are forgetting when you listen to the score or when watching the movie is the context of theme's usage.

No, I'm not forgetting anything. When you say the Villains theme is for Luthor, I disagree. It's almost completely used for Otis and the campier, more comedic moments, just as I disagree when you say the theme itself is dark and stealthy. It is not, and is about 95% used in campy moments.

I'm not convinced. He's still talking out of his ass in that little commentary.

What exactly did he say to make you think that?

Oh, and that MI:3 score, from what I heard, is nothing I haven't heard before nor anything I'm inclined to remember. Now I completely accept the whole score could be different; I'm simply basing my opinion on what I've heard which does nothing to lead me to believe Giacchino would have been any better.

There are moments in my life when I can hear the Ottman 'Usual Suspects' score in my head. Maybe something or someone triggers it, but that's the way I am when I listen to nothing but film scores mostly.

To me, music becomes memorable in that regard.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Oh, and that MI:3 score, from what I heard, is nothing I haven't heard before nor anything I'm inclined to remember. Now I completely accept the whole score could be different; I'm simply basing my opinion on what I've heard which does nothing to lead me to believe Giacchino would have been any better.

There are moments in my life when I can hear the Ottman 'Usual Suspects' score in my head. Maybe something or someone triggers it, but that's the way I am when I listen to nothing but film scores mostly.

To me, music becomes memorable in that regard.

yeah, you are wrong. Giacchino is about 500 times more talented than Ottman. He textures his scores beautifully and knows how to make a roaring piece without going over the top with it. I firmly believe that Giacchino is the next Hollywood great and I consider myself to be pretty knowledge able when it comes to film scores...and this is outside of the John Williams/Jerry Goldsmith world. Get his scores for the Medal of honor games and The Incredibles. The man can emulate John Williams like its his ****ing job. You do not know what you are talking about. Not to mention, Steven "John Williams scores all my movies" Spieberg discovered him.

Stewie Griffin said:
yeah, you are wrong. Giacchino is about 500 times more talented than Ottman. Get his scores for the Medal of honor games and The Incredibles. The man can emulate John Williams like its his ****ing job. You do not know what you are talking about. Not to mention, Steven "John Williams scores all my movies" Spieberg discovered him.

Ummkay. How can MY OPINION be wrong? And besides, please quote where I even said such and such was better than such and such. You probably can't since I didn't. Read my posts next time.

Oh, and genius, Williams has been in the movie scoring business since 1958. Unless of course, a 12 year old Spielberg hired him to score one of his shorts.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Ummkay. How can MY OPINION be wrong? And besides, please quote where I even said such and such was better than such and such. You probably can't since I didn't. Read my posts next time.

Oh, and genius, Williams has been in the movie scoring business since 1958. Unless of course, a 12 year old Spielberg hired him to score one of his shorts.

Spielberg discovered Giacchino, numbnuts. I don't care if it is your opinion or not. You are wrong. You could say that Ottamn is better than Mozart in your opinion. You'd be wrong. Giacchino and Ottman are not even comparable. I suggest that you purchase his scores for the Medal of Honor games and The Incredibles and compare them to John Ottman's body of work...Giacchino will shine through as the winner without a doubt.

Giacchino actually most resembles John Barry, not Goldsmith or Williams.

Unless of course, a 12 year old Spielberg hired him to score one of his shorts.

Snake, he was saying Spielberg discovered Giacchino. Then again, Spielberg also discovered Vin Diesel.

I love Giacchino's work in "The Incredibles" and think he'll do a decent job with Mission Impossible III. but I certainly think he sounds less like Williams and more like John Barry/Elmer Bernstein.

I don't care if it is your opinion or not. You are wrong.

Wow. Well then, everybody, Stewie Griffin just rewrote the rules on basic communication, everyone. Gather round, parse his last few posts for morsels of genius. It's not just anyone who can grab the wheel and jerk the car into oncoming traffic like that. That takes skill and wisdom beyond years and sands of time.

It's like you'd be gritting your teeth, sweating and smiling like an ecstacy freak if the chance Ottman and Giacchino could actually fistfight occured. I dunno how you're taking this so personally, but it's fascinating to watch.

Fatboy Roberts said:
Giacchino actually most resembles John Barry, not Goldsmith or Williams.

Snake, he was saying Spielberg discovered Giacchino. Then again, Spielberg also discovered Vin Diesel.

I love Giacchino's work in "The Incredibles" and think he'll do a decent job with Mission Impossible III. but I certainly think he sounds less like Williams and more like John Barry/Elmer Bernstein.
http://buysoundtrax.com/sounds/moh-1/01_Medal Of Honor.mp3

http://buysoundtrax.com/sounds/moh-1/03_Taking Out The Railgun.mp3 - this one is awesome.

http://buysoundtrax.com/sounds/moh-1/13_Nordhausen.mp3 - This one in particular is very much John Williams-esque.

Medal of Honor = Emulating John Williams.

And I do acknowledge that the Incredibles and MiIII are very much in the vein of John Barry and Lalo Schfrin...and they succeed in doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"