The Dark Knight Joker's Ending Scene

Why it has nothing to do with 89:

First of all, they're not on a rooftop, neither is Two Face. Joker is on a high floor of an unfinished office building so that he can watch what's going on with the ferries. He gives Batman quite the fight until he's got him pinned on a ledge of some scaffolding and boards, waiting for the "fireworks." They never come and Batman points out to him that the people of Gotham aren't like him, there is good inside of people. So when the Joker pulls out his own detonator to blow them up, Batman throws him over the ledge, The Joker laughs on the way down and until he's caught by the grapple hook and lifted back up. Besides talking about how they could do this forever, he also points out that he's still going to win because Dent/Two Face has fallen from grace and he will destroy Gotham's spirit with the acts he's committing.

BTW, in 89, he didn't fall off a rooftop either, he fell off of a rope ladder climbing up to a hilicopter. I know i'm being nitpicky and annoying, but so are the people who are trying to say the last Joker scene is a purposeful parody of the ending of 89.

Win.
Very nicely said, sir.

maybe its not a PURPOSEFUL parody, but its AS IF Nolan grabbed some aspects of the first film and did them in a way thats truer to the comics. Hence

when you think hes plummeting to his doom, presuming you didnt go in spoiled with the ending, batman saves him. whether or not its purposeful, from a sort of meta-perspective, its what batman SHOULD have done in 89's context, albeit different. I think its a decent point made in that review, setting up the CONTRAST between the two films and not necessarily judgments on their quality

First of all, they're not on a rooftop, neither is Two Face. Joker is on a high floor of an unfinished office building so that he can watch what's going on with the ferries. He gives Batman quite the fight until he's got him pinned on a ledge of some scaffolding and boards, waiting for the "fireworks." They never come and Batman points out to him that the people of Gotham aren't like him, there is good inside of people. So when the Joker pulls out his own detonator to blow them up, Batman throws him over the ledge, The Joker laughs on the way down and until he's caught by the grapple hook and lifted back up. Besides talking about how they could do this forever, he also points out that he's still going to win because Dent/Two Face has fallen from grace and he will destroy Gotham's spirit with the acts he's committing.

BTW, in 89, he didn't fall off a rooftop either, he fell off of a rope ladder climbing up to a hilicopter. I know i'm being nitpicky and annoying, but so are the people who are trying to say the last Joker scene is a purposeful parody of the ending of 89.

exactly. to be totally honest, i didn't think of batman '89 at all, until reading the reactions in this thread.

I have to stay away from the SHH boards. I am losing my will power and i cant stop looking at the spoilers

I still think Joker will be re-cast for the third. Just imagine someone like daniel day lewis as the joker, i think he could do it.

OMG he would more than have my blessing to come in and give it a shot. I wouldn't even care if his portrayal was something totally new, because given the right material it would be awesome. I think depp could come in and probably do a awesome job as well.

When I saw it, I never once thought of B89. Completely different in it's execution in my opinion. As for someone filling in as Joker in a third film, that would be such a huge mistake. I'm fine and all with someone playing the Joker again at some point in the semi-distant future after Nolan, Bale, etc. have moved on, but Heath nailed this role. Noone, and I mean noone could top his performance in this film. He is just as tied to the role of the Joker in the Nolanverse as Bale is to Batman. On the one hand I walked out of the film so completely bummed that we will not see Heath reprise his role in a third film, but on the other hand completely convinced I did not want to see another person take over for him. Luckily, his exit is pretty open ended in that if Heath was still alive he could have easily come back for the third film, but on the other hand he can also easily be written out of it as well.

When I saw it, I never once thought of B89. Completely different in it's execution in my opinion. As for someone filling in as Joker in a third film, that would be such a huge mistake. I'm fine and all with someone playing the Joker again at some point in the semi-distant future after Nolan, Bale, etc. have moved on, but Heath nailed this role. Noone, and I mean noone could top his performance in this film. He is just as tied to the role of the Joker in the Nolanverse as Bale is to Batman. On the one hand I walked out of the film so completely bummed that we will not see Heath reprise his role in a third film, but on the other hand completely convinced I did not want to see another person take over for him. Luckily, his exit is pretty open ended in that if Heath was still alive he could have easily come back for the third film, but on the other hand he can also easily be written out of it as well.
please ledger isn't joker..he is an actor playing the joker. bring joker on in 3!!!!

You typed all that to point out the bleeding obvious. I know how the movies go. It's a reference, not a remake.

please ledger isn't joker..he is an actor playing the joker. bring joker on in 3!!!!

thing is, Ledgers performance is his own creation. So a different actor would mean a different joker, would mess up the series continuity.

For the record, Daniel Day Lewis is the type of actor who chooses roles based on whether or not he feels he has something to give to that character.

Considering he has great respect for Heath, who basically made this character his own, I doubt he'd even consider the idea of taking his place in a sequel.

Course, that's merely speculation on my part.

All i know is that I have never laughed and was terrified at the same time. The joker is the juggernaut of evil. He made you laugh and cower at the same time. He felt no physical pain, but he took offense to people calling him crazy. I feel that the line is still open for the Joker. He is not dead, just dangling. No 89 at all, Heath WAS THE JOKER, and "why don't you ask me how I got my scars?"

Well, maybe they could end the third film with Batman hearing that Joker has escaped or finding a new Joker Card, or hearing his laugh somewhere ?

Heath is the definitive joker..after seeing this, as good as nicolson was..

it was just so...

i'm still in awe

All i know is that I have never laughed and was terrified at the same time. The joker is the juggernaut of evil. He made you laugh and cower at the same time. He felt no physical pain, but he took offense to people calling him crazy. I feel that the line is still open for the Joker. He is not dead, just dangling. No 89 at all, Heath WAS THE JOKER, and "why don't you ask me how I got my scars?"

Yeah I noticed that and thought it was interesting. It seems he was once ashamed of being a weird freak or something and being the Joker is part of getting over it. Twice there's mentions about "being alone". When the mob call him crazy and he responds vigorously it's one of Ledgers best deliveries in the entire film. "I'm not. No. I'm not". There was another moment like this with Harvey in hospital but I've forgotten what it was. ??? And you can tell he's pretty offended when the Chechen calls him freak. Particularly when he says "why don't we chop you up and feed you to the pooches. Hhuh?" on the last bit he actually sounds HURT and lashing out. replay the online clip, i noticed it before I saw it in the cinema.

Also when he's talking about not being able to go back to the past status quo, in the interrogation scene, he says "what? go back to ripping of mob dealers? No. No...... NO" and seems kind of amused. Not only is that an origin fragment but I think that moment was Heath acknowledging that the Joker gid get screwed up in a mob violence, and that's why he can't go back to that lowly level. It created him.

Also, a hurt woman was clearly prominent in his past. Both of his stories tell of either a mother or a girlfriend with a scared grin like his own. Roll on Harlequin. It's the best way to recast Joker I think now. Just cast a woman and change her name.

But what was realy cool, is that he didn't die. I wonder if there is a deleted scene with him being dropped and not caught. Since they didn't want to portray Heaths death any more than they had to. But it certainly leaves for another film, but mostly the back story of what happened to the Joker after he was left hanging. Only a person possibly like Daniel Day Lewis could pull the Joker off, but it will never replace Heaths.

k, guys enough will the spoiler tags, this is the spoiler section after all, its an enter at your own risk type thing.

FYI - his three stories about how he got his scars was a reference to the three origins in comic books

FYI - his three stories about how he got his scars was a reference to the three origins in comic books

since I didn't read the comics too much, I mostly liked Marvel, I think that that is a pretty awesome hommage to the Comics. Very nice.

which one was that, like, did he just say "do you wanna know how i got them" and then got cut off?

the ONLY reason y i saw it as a reference to '89 was the noises joker made wen batman was pulling the line up. it sounded pretty close to jack. it was only a quick "hey that sounded like jack's joker" cuz then heath made his final speech and i was mezmerized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"