Superman Returns Just saw "An Evening w/Kevin Smith"

Motown Marvel said:
how do you figure? if you've read his daredevil and green arrow comics you should realize that he's great when writing superheroes. and i can guarantee you that if he had the oppertunity to write a superman script without being restricted by jon peters ignorant directives, it'd be an amazing superman story.
His comicbook work is decent enough I suppose, but I don't like his movie writing mostly. And I've read his Superman Lives script and I thought it flat out sucked. And yes, I realise a lot of the potential was quenched by Jon Peters' idiotic meddling, but I've read several interviews with Smith stating which parts of the script were his favorites (those parts he didn't let Peters touch) and... I thought those sucked the most. The Mt Rushmore scene he was particularly proud (he calls it the core of the story) of and it was soooo bleh. Otherwise the script was mediocre, unfunny when it attempted comedy and irritating in trying to be hip and contemporary.

Sorry, I just don't like Smith's writing and especially Superman Lives.

Motown Marvel said:
he's already refused to write DD2 (besides, they need to let me write it :D). and the superman lives script was written under jon peters ignorant directives....like i said above, if he got to write the script with the same freedom singer/harris/dougherty got, it'd be a fantastic script.
Probably.

And apart from his perpetual lateness (and the fact that 3 years later I still don't know if Black Cat got raped or how the hell "The Target" ended), what's wrong w/his comic writing?

Chris Wallace said:
And apart from his perpetual lateness (and the fact that 3 years later I still don't know if Black Cat got raped or how the hell "The Target" ended), what's wrong w/his comic writing?

when i spoke with kevin at WWLA he told me that the scripts for the spidey/black cat story ARE finally done...and trust me, he feels like crap for their lateness...he's kicking himself more than any angry fanboy is about that topic. as for DD:Target...i dont know. it'd almost be better if they just didnt do anything with it since they only got 1 book out. it was funny though, because i had to remind kevin who the artist was that was drawing DD:Target...it'd been so long he forgot :D

I thought it was really funny.

Does anybody have a link to Smith's script?

I just finished reading it & didn't think it was all that bad. Granted, most of Jon Peters' B.S. was conspicuously absent from it, but if they'd cut out the rest of it I wouldn't mind seeing that movie! Hell, even with the giant spider & the polar bears it wasn't bad.
I actually think this is the direction they should've gone in, where Superman is an established character-we don't need to see Krypton explode again, & Lex is his bitter rival, w/no ties to the Donner films.

I can't agree with that. Kevin Smith's script has some of the worst dialogue ever put on paper. The scenes between Supes and Lois were cheesy as hell and the eradicator suit would have been utter crap. If you were a 10 year old comic fan then it would have worked for you but the majority of people would have been dissappointed.

Yeah the dialogue is terrible.

The Kevin Smith Cult here do not listen to anyone who hates Smith both as a person and as a film maker. They all smoke weed.

GLREBORN said:
The Kevin Smith Cult here do not listen to anyone who hates Smith both as a person and as a film maker. They all smoke weed.

Well I love Smith (and I smoke weed) but he would just make a horrible Superman director and screenwriter. I would not get George Lucas to direct a Silent Bob movie nor Singer to do Star Wars... hold on that would be cool... but you know what I mean. Smith is a comic book fan but just because you are a fan it does not mean that you can direct a superman film...

1-he was never intended to be the director.
2-don't make generalizations like that; liking his stuff doesn't make you a cult or any of that other nonsense.
3-dialogue can be-and usually is-tweaked between page & screen.
4-I'm entitled to my opinion!

GLREBORN said:
Wrong on both counts.

Chris Wallace said:
I just finished reading it & didn't think it was all that bad. Granted, most of Jon Peters' B.S. was conspicuously absent from it, but if they'd cut out the rest of it I wouldn't mind seeing that movie! Hell, even with the giant spider & the polar bears it wasn't bad.
I actually think this is the direction they should've gone in, where Superman is an established character-we don't need to see Krypton explode again, & Lex is his bitter rival, w/no ties to the Donner films.

You do realise that (aside from the connection to the Donner films, which is something that is there only because if Superman is established they are the only reference that people really have and are pretty much an inherint association) that is EXACTLY what we are getting?

An established Superman, with out a simple rehash of his origin, and where "Lex is his bitter rival."

I bought the Evening withKevin Smith DVD last week and it was awesome what I didn't get was on disc 1 when that guy interupted him when he was talking about Tim Burton. Was he not supposed to be discussing the Burton situation or was he running out of time?

gdw said:
You do realise that (aside from the connection to the Donner films, which is something that is there only because if Superman is established they are the only reference that people really have and are pretty much an inherint association) that is EXACTLY what we are getting?

An established Superman, with out a simple rehash of his origin, and where "Lex is his bitter rival."
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"