Justice League Status Updates Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone brought this up in another group, why not start with the JLA movie and then break it down to single films?

But shouldn't we know these people as individuals first before they surround themselves with other personalities? Think of the GA too. They're suppose to believe in these people when their introduction isn't by themselves? It doesn't make much sense to me.

Avengers benefited because we knew these people already. Now a lot of the GA hasn't seen some of the solo Marvel films before Avengers, but they're there all along and people went back to them, and the fact they were made says something.

It's natural to go from solo to combination. This just seems counter-intuitive.

Avengers benefited because we knew these people already. Now a lot of the GA hasn't seen some of the solo Marvel films before Avengers, but they're there all along and people went back to them, and the fact they were made says something.

And they can go along and watch the solo movies in theaters afterward. Hell, it's not even a sure thing Justice League will come out before Flash and Wonder Woman or even Lobo. They're all at the same stage, scripting.

All they need to do is look at classic ensemble films like The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen or hell, even something like Star Wars. You didn't need a prequel about Han Solo's smuggling adventures for people to like the character. Just because Marvel has approached things in a successful way, doesn't mean another can't work.

But it seems like a cheat to me. To put these characters in a team up movie first. Not only does it look like a move on WB's part to copy the success of the Avengers, but don't these characters deserve their own film before all of this?

Yes, you can say the same for Avengers in all vice versa too, but they had a believable plan. They planned from the beginning.

This movie needs time. Shouldn't they test the waters with their solo characters and to see their success before they just go all out with a team up movie? That way if a Flash or Wonder Woman movie fails they'll know to possibly back off. A JL movie head first is a lot to ask for so soon.

This team up movie could work if they plan carefully and play their cards right. It could work in their own way. But their track record doesn't comfort me with how they handle their superheroes.

Last edited:
All they need to do is look at classic ensemble films like The Magnificent Seven, The Dirty Dozen or hell, even something like Star Wars. You didn't need a prequel about Han Solo's smuggling adventures for people to like the character. Just because Marvel has approached things in a successful way, doesn't mean another can't work.

This.

The whole "DC needs to rip off marvel or this wont work" posts are getting irritating, just for the narrow minded thinking involved in them.

Just looking at The Avengers box office shows that not every saw all the other Marvel film leading up to The Avengers but I do think who ever said the idea of a World Finest leading up to it would be great.

edit.

Last edited:
This.

The whole "DC needs to rip off marvel or this wont work" posts are getting irritating, just for the narrow minded thinking involved in them.

It's more than that. The reason people are looking at the Marvel method is because it worked. Doing what they did was incredibly risky and it paid off. And if WB goes their route, it could work too. Both are risky, but Marvel has things WB doesn't have much of. People who know their ****.

The only thing that deters my confidence is their track record. I don't want to see a failed JL film before a failed Flash film you know?

After a JL film they all go their separate ways and their own worlds and don't have any contact. It's all reversal for Avengers. Story wise, it could work. Though I still prefer the characters themselves earning their own films and we get to focus on them. Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman aren't Han Solo where he was written as a supporting character and who didn't come from a pre-existing story who was indotruced as an individual to carry his own story. These are all major characters with big personalities in their separate stories. It's fair to develop them as themselves before they go teaming up with others. Because hey, they're not gonna have the whole film to themselves. So before we see them be mixed with other characters, we should see them on their own. I mean these characters aren't made to be just for a JL film first. They're more than that. It just looks like JL is more of a priority than their solo films. And obviously it looks that way, and it doesn't feel quite right.

It sounds strange thinking about it because Avengers seems like the logical method and we're used to it. But still, what would have happened if Marvel announced they were making a full blown Avengers film before their solo films?

But if it works for them, then it works for them. The key is to do it right. If it's right, then what I say won't matter.

I'm trying to think logical here: If their solo films succeed, that makes WB very confident in pursuing a JL film where it will make a lot of money. Instead of throwing everything in first and depending on that to kick start everything. Because if JL flops and fails, you can kiss the solo films bye bye and any money they can get from them. WB would take even more risks after a potential flop from JL? A studio? Why would they spend all that money on five different solo films after somethign like JL flops? It doesn't make much sense to me from a studio pespective. Story wise, of course it can work. It's just in terms of right now, it doesn't feel right with timing.

I'm not being narrow minded, I'm trying to be logical and trying to see both sides of the argument. I'd be the first person to be all for this idea if I felt right about it.

Last edited:
the whole "copying Marvel" argument is getting bothersome. If people dont want lead up films, fine. But saying WB/DC shouldnt do it because it's copying Marvel is stupid

Personally I want solo films first, not even leading up to JL I just want to see them handle all of the solo stories right first. I want a whole movie of WW, Aquaman, Flash doing bad ass things first before having them share those moments with other heroes

And that seems to make the most sense. Forget Marvel for a minute here. What makes more sense? Putting all these people together first and suddenly having to get to know them and come to work together to overcome a threat or actually have the time to get to know them as individuals first before they even accomplish that bigger task?

Come on. I want to see a Flash film. A Wonder Woman film. You need the build up before the show. In this case the build up can be shows themselves. JL is that big show that we've all been waiting for. But if we had that first, and the smaller stuff comes after... wouldn't it feel strange?

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters which route they take.

Come on WB you could’ve at least waited more than just a month after the Avengers comes out to announce your plans that you’re going forward with a Justice League film. I like that they’ve go on record to say it’s “not a reaction to the Avengers” which I don’t believe for a second.

Now I liked Avengers. It’s not a lot to sink your teeth into and was my third out of three comic book films I was looking forward to this summer but it doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it as much, I was pleasantly surprised by it…but this is way too reactionary. I for one cannot wait for next year’s Man of Steel. With Nolan’s Batman ending next month, I hope that Scott Snyder’s take on Superman will fill a void that’s left over. Obviously I have my concerns with Snyder so hopefully the film lives up to both my and studio expectations since there’s a lot riding on this film.

I’ve heard quotes from Snyder saying he wasn’t approached to bring his film into a DC Universe kind of world and I’ve read reports saying that MoS is going to be separate from anything that will be done in a JL movie. Is that the best idea though? Of course if they tried to go along Marvel’s route and try each individual character film which leads into the bigger payoff of the Justice League film, the stench of rip off will never be taken away from the project. The Avengers had a gem in the fact that Joss Wheadon wrote the script and was the brains behind the project. Although I haven’t seen Gangster Squad (the movie the screenwriter for JL has also wrriten the script for) I thought the trailer looked ridiculous and time will tell if this guy has something well worth to offer. Besides, Green Lantern was WB’s attempt at trying something with banking on a B-list character (ala Iron Man) and that horrible film failed horribly. What’s to say that they wouldn’t have the same experience again with a Flash or Wonder Woman film? I think we already know there’s a concern there since Green Arrow has been demoted to a television show on the CW….which doesn’t look all that bad but still.

So then that gives the idea of just doing a Justice League film and then perhaps having branch off films like I think Marvel is trying to do with Hulk, that might not work though either if you’ve got two separate guys walking around playing Superman in the Snyder series and one in a Justice League film. The film just coming about as is might not seem as organic and could fly over people’s heads…and then it even makes it look like WB & DC is just going “HEY WE HAVE OUR TEAM UP MOVIE TOO!”…which is what they should ultimately avoid.

All in all, I think Henry Cavill’s Superman should be involved in this project as well as the actor who will be doning the cape and cowl when Batman gets rebooted in the next couple of years. This could be a risky project for WB & DC and hopefully it doesn’t turn out like the really crappy new 52 Justice League comic.

It's more than that. The reason people are looking at the Marvel method is because it worked. Doing what they did was incredibly risky and it paid off. And if WB goes their route, it could work too. Both are risky, but Marvel has things WB doesn't have much of. People who know their ****.

The only thing that deters my confidence is their track record. I don't want to see a failed JL film before a failed Flash film you know?
Agreed
Basically the only thing I want DC and Marvel films to have in common is that a certain number of films lead into a bigger film. I dont want DC to have stingers and numerous cameos.
But still I want all that after they prove that they can do something other than Batman

After a JL film they all go their separate ways and their own worlds and don't have any contact. It's all reversal for Avengers. Story wise, it could work. Though I still prefer the characters themselves earning their own films and we get to focus on them. Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman aren't Han Solo where he was written as a supporting character and who didn't come from a pre-existing story who was indotruced as an individual to carry his own story. These are all major characters with big personalities in their separate stories. It's fair to develop them as themselves before they go teaming up with others. Because hey, they're not gonna have the whole film to themselves. So before we see them be mixed with other characters, we should see them on their own. I mean these characters aren't made to be just for a JL film first. They're more than that. It just looks like JL is more of a priority than their solo films. And obviously it looks that way, and it doesn't feel quite right.

I dont think the Han Solo/Magnificent Seven comparisons make much sense. Han Solo was created to be introduced in Star Wars. It's not as if Han Solo had YEARS of his own adventures on film, tv, books/comics and then he was brought into Star Wars, same with the Magnificent Seven

It sounds strange thinking about it because Avengers seems like the logical method and we're used to it. But still, what would have happened if Marvel announced they were making a full blown Avengers film before their solo films?

But if it works for them, then it works for them. The key is to do it right. If it's right, then what I say won't matter.
True

I'm trying to think logical here: If their solo films succeed, that makes WB very confident in pursuing a JL film where it will make a lot of money. Instead of throwing everything in first and depending on that to kick start everything. Because if JL flops and fails, you can kiss the solo films bye bye and any money they can get from them. WB would take even more risks after a potential flop from JL? A studio? Why would they spend all that money on five different solo films after somethign like JL flops? It doesn't make much sense to me from a studio pespective. Story wise, of course it can work. It's just in terms of right now, it doesn't feel right with timing.

I'm not being narrow minded, I'm trying to be logical and trying to see both sides of the argument. I'd be the first person to be all for this idea if I felt right about it.
I agree

And that seems to make the most sense. Forget Marvel for a minute here. What makes more sense? Putting all these people together first and suddenly having to get to know them and come to work together to overcome a threat or actually have the time to get to know them as individuals first before they even accomplish that bigger task?

Jones, I'm with you on this one. and really the whole "copying Marvel" argument is immature. The whole thing with them trying to put out a JL film can be seen as copying. Instead of crying about who did what first, just put out good films. And, imo, putting out a good JL film depends on them getting their solo characters right first.

All in all, I think Henry Cavill’s Superman should be involved in this project as well as the actor who will be doning the cape and cowl when Batman gets rebooted in the next couple of years. This could be a risky project for WB & DC and hopefully it doesn’t turn out like the really crappy new 52 Justice League comic.

oh yeah. Definetly. If they try to do that whole 2 actors playing the same role in theaters I don't think that'd work out well.

Instead of crying about who did what first, just put out good films. And, imo, putting out a good JL film depends on them getting their solo characters right first.

Good point. As long as the movies are good, that is really all that should matter in the end...

I'm pretty sure if MOS succeeds, WB might want it to fit into a potential JL film. That is if they're not going to go this route.

And the next set of Batman films, depending on Nolan's say, or it could very well be out of his hands this time, they will slip him into a JL universe to build it up. Then you get to the others. So in this line of thinkin, we'd get a JL film probably late in the 2010's.

Good point. As long as the movies are good, that is really all that should matter in the end...

I mean if they do JL first and it's good then fine. As I said i'd just rather them do films where I can see Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman be badass on their own before a teamup

Agreed
Basically the only thing I want DC and Marvel films to have in common is that a certain number of films lead into a bigger film. I dont want DC to have stingers and numerous cameos.
But still I want all that after they prove that they can do something other than Batman

I dont think the Han Solo/Magnificent Seven comparisons make much sense. Han Solo was created to be introduced in Star Wars. It's not as if Han Solo had YEARS of his own adventures on film, tv, books/comics and then he was brought into Star Wars, same with the Magnificent Seven

True

I agree

Jones, I'm with you on this one. and really the whole "copying Marvel" argument is immature. The whole thing with them trying to put out a JL film can be seen as copying. Instead of crying about who did what first, just put out good films. And, imo, putting out a good JL film depends on them getting their solo characters right first.

oh yeah. Definetly. If they try to do that whole 2 actors playing the same role in theaters I don't think that'd work out well.

Yeah, Han Solo isn't like Flash or Wonder Woman where he was created as a solo character with his own stories first anyway. He was written as a supporting character and his popularity spawned stories of his own. You could say that would be similar to the route they might take if JL takes off, but it's different because these people were created as leads of their own stories in the first place.

And agreed, in the end, even if we complain WB is trying to copy Marvel, if JL kicks all kinds of ass like Avengers, then nothing else will matter.

Just make it good WB. But with your track record, it's hard to put much confidence in you. I had confidence in Avengers because it had great to solid previous films and Joss Whedon and a lot of planning from Feige and co. WB hasn't had much over the years DC related that's made me confident in them doing a great JL film. My feelings about plans for the movie itself don't help either.

Last edited:
I have a degree of blind faith. I've always wanted this to happen and I know it could turn into a more significant disaster than Batman & Robin. If it fails not only are the chances of future JL films going to look very limp, the prospects of ever getting a solo Flash, Wonder Woman or anything further from Green Lantern take a big nosedive. The other comic series that eventually turned crap have had at least one or two good films/TV series from which loyal fans can draw belief that the series will eventually turn good. It's very hard if you start out badly.

All that said I know I want this to happen so I'm just going to have to hope it somehow works out. And if it does work out I see no reason why it can't be as big as Avengers.

the whole "copying Marvel" argument is getting bothersome. If people dont want lead up films, fine. But saying WB/DC shouldnt do it because it's copying Marvel is stupid

Not as stupid as wanting solo films merely because "Marvel did it like that". And then people complain about the lack of original ideas in hollywood. If WB made JL before the solo films, fine. If they got out Flash before making a JL film, fine...but I'm not gonna cry if WB decides not to wait to make JL because they gotta pump out a bunch of solo movies first.

People are forgetting that superhero films are not a big priority for WB. I'd rather see a JL movie with all the big heroes rather than hoping WB gets WW, Flash, Aquaman, etc. out first. Cause it probably wont happen.

Was there one when JLM was going to happen?

Gives me more hope, tho. So I'm fine with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"