• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

BvS Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all his reasons of hatred just boil down to simple jealousy.

Lex would never admit it though, because it sounds weak. So he concocts reasons such as those.

Yes, you're probably right. But his ability to self-justify is part of what makes him interesting. If you genuinely believe that you're in the right, then you can justify just about any action, no matter how evil. Zod in MOS was that way.

Danny Trejo as Lobo wouble be the BALLLLLLLLLLLLLS. Someone tell WB!

I think that if Superman is an allegory of immigration and assimilation, then Lex is the corruption of the American Dream. Watching a brilliant mind go to waste, the product of jealousy, obsession, and hate gives the whole essence of the character a sad quality. He isn't an antihero (one whose morals are sound but methods aren't and vice versa) and he's not usually a tragic villain. He's a bad person because he chooses to be, yet I believe he thinks of Superman's inherent goodness as built-in.

He really is Superman-backwards. One who was born a human, but with the restlessness of an animal. Someone who loves public recognition, but uses his persona to hide a certain darkness, while Superman is a bit of persona to hide Clark's shyness and insecurity.

That's why I think a Clark/Luthor scene near the end is a necessity. Honestly MOS2 should go full circle. From who Clark is, to the way Metropolis reacts to him-and by extension the world-to balancing his life as a superhero and human. It should start with Superman coping from the events of MOS and end with Clark growing as a person, gaining a new enemy or two, but also a few friends (including Jimmy).

Basically, it should be the slow-paced character oriented movie that MOS wasn't, while allowing for a few good fights.

But it will probably be a series of plot-oriented events leading up to a Superman/Batman smackdown, with them making up for it.

I don't think MOS2 will be bad, it just has potential to be a missed opportunity.

What a heartening post- well done.

FlamingCoco...I feel that. That is exactly why I get so worked up about MOS2 being replaced with this Batman thing or whatever it is. I wanted it to be exactly what you just said. That would have been such a great movie, and IMO has just as much potential to make money as this thing WB is concocting.

^^^ And then they can make a proper MOS2 with Lex later on?

That would be best I'd say.

I'm honestly believing he'll have a small or insignificant role. Possibly just a cameo even.

I think that if Superman is an allegory of immigration and assimilation, then Lex is the corruption of the American Dream. Watching a brilliant mind go to waste, the product of jealousy, obsession, and hate gives the whole essence of the character a sad quality. He isn't an antihero (one whose morals are sound but methods aren't and vice versa) and he's not usually a tragic villain. He's a bad person because he chooses to be, yet I believe he thinks of Superman's inherent goodness as built-in.

He really is Superman-backwards. One who was born a human, but with the restlessness of an animal. Someone who loves public recognition, but uses his persona to hide a certain darkness, while Superman is a bit of persona to hide Clark's shyness and insecurity.

That's why I think a Clark/Luthor scene near the end is a necessity. Honestly MOS2 should go full circle. From who Clark is, to the way Metropolis reacts to him-and by extension the world-to balancing his life as a superhero and human. It should start with Superman coping from the events of MOS and end with Clark growing as a person, gaining a new enemy or two, but also a few friends (including Jimmy).

Basically, it should be the slow-paced character oriented movie that MOS wasn't, while allowing for a few good fights.

But it will probably be a series of plot-oriented events leading up to a Superman/Batman smackdown, with them making up for it.

I don't think MOS2 will be bad, it just has potential to be a missed opportunity.

In essence, it's a "I've been busting my ass for years and this guy comes from some other place and trumps me in one fell swoop." It's something definitely to relate to.

I understand why they did it, but it doesnt make it any easier to just have Lex show up in MoS 2 like I think he will, in full on villain mode.
IMO they should have shown him having a bigger presence in MoS without actually having the camera on his face.

Maybe news reports stating that Lex blames superman for all thats happened, etc etc.

I think he needed a buildup in MoS. It would have been cool to see them show a young Lex and why he is the way he is as an adult. the whole time the camera could have just shown a back of the head shot o fan adult Lex, and flashbacks to his youth. they could later cast whomever they wanted as adult lex.

Yeah, I know, MoS was about superman, but Lex is gonna feel kinda forced now. unless they go the joker route like in TDK and we never know his true back story. he just IS.

^ TBH, Batman can still work within this story without compromising MOS2 as a sequel. Let Batman be a "third member" in the Metropolis/Metallo/Lex story. Have Lex give the Caped Crusader some of the technology to weaken Superman. Lex is betting that Superman kills Batman (thus allowing Lex to prove that Clark was the superpowered murderer) or that Batman kills/injures/gets rid of Superman-forever.

Bats should be an extremely minor part of the film, but one that adds a sense of mystery and suspense. Bruce goes to Metropolis to have a "business meeting", and hears about mysterious murders of whistleblowing journalists by a villain who is to fast for the CCTV's to catch. Batman's paranoia of Superman and his trust of Alexander Luthor's vision to repair Metropolis causes him to go all out into "detective mode" slowly piecing together Clark's secret identity.

He calculates the frequency of the locations that Superman routinely flies, and flies above (or below) superman.

Ironically, he can only attack Supes once the Man of Steel is scanning the horizon for Metallo.

Batman lays the smackdown with special gauntlets laced with synthetic Kryptonite until Supes grabs one and melts it with his eyes, being very careful to avoid scorching Bruce's hand.

Batman taunts Supes about killing Zod as well as the other journalists, before telling Clark that he knows who is really hiding behind the glasses (which allows Supes to say "You think you could hide forever-Bruce?"

Supes/Clark is able to recount some type of detail that proves his innocence, and Bruce figures out he's been played.

And then he looks at Clark with remorse, and decides that he shouldn't enter Superman's battle with Luthor. But also vows to be willing to help out, should he need it. And leaves the story. Maybe it's implied that he watches over Metallo/Luthor's next potential target ( Jimmy or maybe even Lois)

Maybe he just leaves Metropolis.

But I don't want to see him in the scene with the final encounter with Metallo/Luthor.

I want the final moments of the film to be about Clark, Luthor, and Lois.

Clark disables Metallo, but knows he can't prove Lex's guilt.

Lex is more determined than ever to stop Superman-which allows for a great sequel supervillian opportunity (notice: the MOS2 sequel would be great as a TRUE Superman/Batman film).

Cut to a happy metropolis, an emotional scene with Lois, and a "back in action" ending. And then a WW post credits teaser or something, see below.

You could have a post-credits scene with Superman/Batman looking at an unknown flying object-accompanied by footage of someone hearing a jet, looking to a distance and seeing nothing. They then show a silhouette of the famous pilot's hair :D

The character of Batman isnt used as a minor player

Last edited:
The Batman/Superman logo suggests to me that he won't be a minor role, and that this is a Batman/Superman movie, not like Iron Man 2 featuring Black Widow.

Danny Trejo as Lobo wouble be the BALLLLLLLLLLLLLS. Someone tell WB!

Since when is being balls a good thing? Bobby Singer and I must have missed that memo.

You can work both Batman and Lex in and have a decent enough story that fans can agree on which would make "a series of plot-oriented events leading up to a Superman/Batman smackdown" worth it. I'd say Public Enemies is a good story to use where you see both Lex and Batman really be in their element and you could tweak it to have Batman be the antagonist to Supes(thus keeping the whole Batman vs Superman thing going), basically replace all that legion of super-villains, and Luthor's superhero goon squad with Batman with the full resources of Lex Luthor and the American Government after Superman, essentially it also becomes a role reversal to TDKReturns where Superman's the upstart and Batman's a pawn used by the overarching bad guy.

Scenes like these is probably what we all want for Superman and Lex Luthor:

[YT]v6nwDITHrqo[/YT]

[YT]RiRWwxFjqNM[/YT]

I understand why they did it, but it doesnt make it any easier to just have Lex show up in MoS 2 like I think he will, in full on villain mode.
IMO they should have shown him having a bigger presence in MoS without actually having the camera on his face.

Maybe news reports stating that Lex blames superman for all thats happened, etc etc.

I think he needed a buildup in MoS. It would have been cool to see them show a young Lex and why he is the way he is as an adult. the whole time the camera could have just shown a back of the head shot o fan adult Lex, and flashbacks to his youth. they could later cast whomever they wanted as adult lex.

Yeah, I know, MoS was about superman, but Lex is gonna feel kinda forced now. unless they go the joker route like in TDK and we never know his true back story. he just IS.

The worst thing Snyder could do with Lex Luthor at this stage is to tease him Thanos-style in Superman/Batman and not have him come out in full force. We had plenty of teasing in MOS, I mean didn't Luthor have the highest Easter Egg count in the movie? To me, the Lex Luthor Easter Eggs were probably the most well placed Easter Eggs not only teasing him but also a sense that Lex really owns Metropolis. If there's anything Man of Steel effectively pulled off, was the ability to plant seeds. There are probably 100 different ways to launch Lex Luthor and Snyder would be crazy not take himself up on those. Lex would feel anything but forced, he'd be a perfect fit and probably the most logical decision Snyder should do at this stage.

On another note, does anyone see Lex starting out initially as an ally to Superman in any way in this movie and then have him move in a downward spiral into villainy ala Smallville or Harvey Dent in TDK?

The character of Batman isnt used as a minor player

I guess I'll forget about Gotham Underground, then :D

I still think making Batman a minor character (but important) gives the least amount of backlash from ******** movie fans-and can allow MOS2 to be more of a sequel.

Batman's in like, two scenes of the New Frontier adaptation, and I find his appearance there to be more than satisfying. But then again, that film is a near guilty pleasure. I find myself liking it more than I should.

Yossi-Dina-Reelz-Credit1.jpg

Oh no. I think Lex will have a buildup.

I wish we can hear a list of candidates for Lex. Since we haven't heard a word about who is being looked at for Lex.

Me thinks WB's and Snyder want someone big like Viggo, Law, Phoenix, Leo, Fiennes, and now that he has dropped out of Jurassic World....I wouldn't be surprised if Brolin might be in the mix for Lex.

Another actor who I think would be a good pick would be Jason Isaacs.

At this point, it seems Lex isn't going to be in it.

There was a rumour that the actor playing Lex would be revealed towards the end of this week, and then the live Q&A with Kevin Smith and Snyder was announced.

Don't be surprised if it hits today.

At this point, it seems Lex isn't going to be in it.

I'm gonna have to disagree. There have been so many Lexcorp easter eggs, in the movie, on the website, and so many rumors. He'll be in it. I'm positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"