Man of Steel 2 News and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by Thread Manager, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandon Knight We did it......

The most iconic superhero ever is no supporting character, the character who started it all is no supporting character.

2. Astro13Zombie Registered

I feel like now is a perfect time for a Superman movie.
    For a long time it seemed like dark, gritty, and realistic was what everyone wanted out of CBMs.
    But times have changed and people want something different.
    In a way, I feel like the MCU created the perfect environment for a Superman movie to be a huge hit.
    People are looking to these movies for fun, hope, optimism, lightheartedness, and genuine heroics.
    What better character to deliver these things than

I absolutely love MoS, but WB and Snyder attempted to change the character for the times but they ended up being behind the times.:funny:
    Making a modern Superman movie with a classic Superman would have been the way to go I think. If we ever see MoS2, that chance is still there.

#877 Astro13Zombie, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. Greenlite Registered

Hahaha

WB E: "Chris, I thought you were here to try out for Supergirl 3, or Blue Beetles 2, no?"

4. Boy Scout Registered

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind if they cast someone new and put him in supporting roles to build interest in a solo film, but that shouldn’t be the extent of his presence on film. I mean...he’s Superman.

5. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah. The more time goes on, I'm beginning to think that we won't see Superman again on the big screen for decades. DC seems to think that they can make Supergirl a more bankable hero, and I'm not sure if their logic is sound because the only thing that kept the Supergirl TV series around was being moved to a different channel where big ratings aren't really expected.

For me personally -- and I'm sorry if this upsets anyone -- I'm personally not that interested in Supergirl as a character. I kinda feel like Supergirl, and to a lesser extent, Batgirl and a lot of the supporting Bat family characters just feel like extensions of the core hero and aren't that great on their own. Batgirl at least has been more consistent over the years, but Supergirl always seemed like a character that DC didn't know what to do with and that's why they constantly changed up her origin and supporting cast in both comics and in other media. And that's largely because she's essentially just "Superman... only female!" It's not that interesting. Wonder Woman is interesting because she feels like a whole character. You can do a Wonder Woman movie without ever referencing any other heroes. But Supergirl either requires you to spend time acknowledging Superman, or write him out entirely, which fundamentally changes the story.

I guess what I'm saying is, go ahead and make a Supergirl movie if you've got a good script but it shouldn't be at the expense of Superman. I'm sorry if that's sexist, but it's just how I feel about these characters in particular.

Rijowhite likes this.
  6. ManWithNoName18 Registered

I'm sure we'll see a Superman solo in the next 5-10 years. Or at least see him appear in other movies. Maybe not with Henry playing him, but I do think that WB knows that the character still has a lot of potential.

7. Blood Spider Registered

Agreed. And this whole "we still don't have news because cavill is in negotiations" sounds like a poor excuse to me. We don't know if that is true.

And superman has been a "priority" to WB for years, yet there's no sequel or plans for it at all. There are plans for a dozen superhero movies from DCU, but no mention for a mos sequel or another standalone movie.

That doesn't sound exactly as if WB wants it to happen. Maybe, and that's a big maybe, we may see another solo within 10 or more years later.

8. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'm starting to feel the same. Honestly, it won't surprise me too much if in about 6 months they announce a Superman TV series.

9. Boy Scout Registered

Unless they relegate him to TV (and probably not even then), I seriously doubt we’ll go decades before seeing Superman on film again.

10. Greenlite Registered

didn't we just established that it'll be 2024 before WB HAS TO put out a Sup film due to legal reasons?

or is that in the JL HC thread?

11. Blood Spider Registered

Please, don't get me wrong. Superman is my favorite DC hero and one of the greatest characters ever created.

Every day I keep searching comics new sites and the tweeter for any news about a new Superman movie! I do want it to happen, and nothing would make me happier.

News concerning a new movie would get me more excited for this more than for every superhero movie announced so far, be it the spider-man sequel or even Avengers 4.

Superman more than deserves success in the big screen and his own big universe. His fans deserve that too.

12. Aurakles Registered

I think WB still see a lot of value in Superman, he's been in 3 films in the last 5 years, there are two Superman related tv series at the moment and Metropolis would make that three.

13. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

In that case, get ready for WB to hire the first director who says "yes" in 2022 so they can get a Superman origin movie out in time to meet the deadline. Oh! Maybe it will feature him punching Zod!

14. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Those are three shows that don't feature Superman, except as a guest star on one. And he was a bit player in two of those films. WB seems to see value in his name and not his actual character.

15. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

This, pretty much.

16. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Oh, and his logo! Gotta slap that on everything we can!

17. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

I think that's probably what WB values most, frankly, since it means they can greenlight the hell outta all these productions that don't have him in them and still trot that :super: out.

18. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yep. That way they've got some merch they can absolutely market. It's depressing.

"Actually, it's not an "S". On my world, it means $."

Rijowhite likes this.
  19. herolee10 No More Miracles

If Henry does end up being replaced then I honestly wonder on how Warner Bros will be able to salvage the situation.

The truth is that Superman has yet to launch a successful film franchise.

Christopher Reeve's first two films were great. Unfortunately for him, it was due to poor management by the studios and producers in charge at the time that led to his last two films being disasters and putting the franchise on hold for 20 years.

Superman Returns was supposed to be the start of a new modern day franchise for the character. However that film didn't click with audiences the way that it needed to so any plans for sequels were scrapped.

Now we have Henry but due to BvS and JL, it looks like we may have to go back to the drawing board yet again.

I mean really, people are tired of having to constantly start over with new actors and reboots. It's frankly embarrassing at this point. Why should people get excited for the next film if it really does end up having a new actor playing the role, especially if there is a strong chance that we will have to start the ride over again?

20. Blood Spider Registered

That's about it. Someone in another forum compared him to Mickey Mouse on Disney. He's well known, they can use it to sell some merchandise, but they don't mind doing anything with it.

"hey really won't need Superman from a business perspective. Oh, they'll probably flash the S occasionally and make references to him being around in universe and will put him front and center featured in the DC films opening animation montage, but hes more the DC mascot in the way Mickey Mouse is Disney's mascot. When was the last time Disney made a Mickey Mouse focused animated show or feature?"

Rijowhite likes this.
  21. flickchick85 Admin of Might

The difference is, Disney can keep Mickey on ice for as long as they feel like it. With Supes, WB have deadlines if they want to keep what they've got. But the next deadline is still several years off so they don't exactly have to be in any real hurry, either.

22. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

2 ongoing shows. Some pre-school spinoff and short-form webseries.
    Superman may be the face, but Batman is still the one who runs things.

23. Blood Spider Registered

I still don't get it. Does this come from the special agreement with the Siegel family?

24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah. I might be wrong but I think the next time they need to put a new Superman movie out by is 2024. So they can still dilly dally for another few years if they so choose.

25. herolee10 No More Miracles

Maybe I got my info mixed up as well but I thought that the agreement also entailed that Warner Bros has to have a superman film in production by a certain date as well.

So if that is the case, I wonder if they have to have a film out by 2024 or if they need to start filming by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.