Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Good catch, Kalelvis. That explains why some reported 2.7 and others reported 3.5 in Japan.

On another thread, an interesting article from the Hollywood Reporter was posted. It talks about how studios are going to try harder to have budgets less than 200 mill. The article comments on WWZ, Star Trek, and MOS. All of them had their profits hampered somewhat by their huge budgets. The article mentions capping a WWZ sequel at 160. Paramount will also try to save money on a Star Trek Sequel.

It says the MOS sequel is shooting in Michigan to save money. The first film did not receive comparable rebates from the three shooting locations as it will with Michigan.

On another thread, an interesting article from the Hollywood Reporter was posted. It talks about how studios are going to try harder to have budgets less than 200 mill. The article comments on WWZ, Star Trek, and MOS. All of them had their profits hampered somewhat by their huge budgets. The article mentions capping a WWZ sequel at 160. Paramount will also try to save money on a Star Trek Sequel.

It says the MOS sequel is shooting in Michigan to save money. The first film did not receive comparable rebates from the three shooting locations as it will with Michigan.

I think its about time really. Production budgets really went nuts in the past 6 years or so (starting with Spider-Man 3's 258 millions in 2007).
When you think about what someone like Snyder was able to achieve visually, in terms of scale with a 130 millions budget on Watchmen, nothing really justifies, in terms of production values, the extra 100 millions or so that was spent on Man Of Steel (or the extra 40 millions Star Trek Into Darkness got compared to the 2009 film for that matter).

It's about time studios regain some control over how they spend their money.

Last edited:
It has gotten out of hand. If a film has to make a billion dollars in order to generate a good profit than you have a poor business plan.

Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here. All of the tentpoles films of this summer (save for Fast And Furious 6 and its meager 160 millions) had a budget within the 200 millions range (190 for Star Trek Into Darkness, WWZ and Pacific Rim, 200 millions for Iron Man 3, 215 millions for The Lone Ranger and 225 for Man of Steel). And most of them didn't break even in theaters.

And the big winner isn't even Iron Man 3 and its 1.2 billions but Despicable Me 2 wich made 823 millions wordwide so far out of a 76 millions budget. The movie grossed more than 10 times its production budget.

The perspective on MoS numbers would be very different if the movie made 650 millions out of a, let's say, 175 millions production budget.

Last edited:
I think its about time really. Production budgets really went nuts in the past 6 years or so (starting with Spider-Man 3's 258 millions in 2007).
When you think about what someone like Snyder was able to achieve visually, in terms of scale with a 130 millions budget on Watchmen, nothing really justifies, in terms of production values, the extra 100 millions or so that was spent on Man Of Steel (or the extra 40 millions Star Trek Into Darkness got compared to the 2009 film for that matter).

It's about time studios regain some control over how they spend their money.
agreed
although a lot of the times a single actor be demanding 50mil
Or 30 to me thats a lot of money for one actor on any budget lower than 200 mill so in return it puts a movies budget higher than what was intended studios should have never started with giving actors so much money
i heard Will Smith demanded 50mil for ID2
And the studio walked away
More studios needs to do this more often

By the way have any of you guys seen the new RoboCop trailer
that movie looks as if its gonna be awsome cant wait for it

I really do believe MOS's BO expectations were highly exaggerated. This movie was ALWAYS going to be a "wait and see approach" with the audience from the get-go and most people, in the beginning, weren't expecting much whatsoever. Man of Steel was one of those movies to where nobody knew WHAT to expect and how to feel about it for obvious reasons.

It wasn't until the kickass trailers some months before for when people started to take notice and the people showed that support in opening weekend, but I think it's unfair for a rebooted version of Superman, where MOS was always on the fence, to outrageously be expected to be "1 billion or bust."

This summers BO was astounding and broke some major records for the ENTIRE summer season. MOS, IMHO, performed in the ball-park it was initially supposed to and is a wide success.

Man Of Steel logically ended up in the "Toss-up" category of BoM's breaking down on summer's releases:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3724&p=.htm

Pacific Rim is at a somewhat lackluster $100M domestically. But with better foreign #s, it’s just above $400m total (just past the breakeven point with respect to its production budget). Perhaps home video looks promising and a sequel is rumored to be “in development.” Now that I would call a “toss up.” To put MOS in that same category is a big stretch.

You would have to take in account that Pacific Rim was less expensive to produce than MoS (by a 35m margin) and is an original film. Therefore the film carried completely different expectation and that's probably one of the reasons why PR got the safer spot in July in the first place.
Now I don't know how Pacific Rim was funded and all the financial engineering behind it, but given that it made most of its business overseas, particularly in China, I think that despite those 400 millions it still translates onto a significant loss for WB/Legendary. At least until they can factor in side revenues.
So I would have to agree it's a bit of a stretch indeed.

Last edited:
You would have to take in account that Pacific Rim was less expensive to produce than MoS (by a 35m margin) and is an original film. Therefore the film carried completely different expectation and that's probably one of the reasons why PR got the safer spot in July in the first place.
Now I don't know how Pacific Rim was funded and all the financial engineering behind it, but given that it made most of its business overseas, particularly in China, I think that despite those 400 millions it still translates onto a significant loss for WB/Legendary. At least until they can factor in the side revenues.
So I would have to agree it's a bit of a stretch indeed.
it cost 35mil less to make and mos made 253mil more so a.strech in deed

Well you missed the part about the fact that its an original film, with no established brand to back it up and wich therefore carried different expectations. ;)
And just to be clear, what I mean by "a stretch" is that I ultimately think PR should fall under the "loser" category not that MoS shouldn't be a "toss-up".

Wow. PR doing great oversea! Didn't expect that.

So any numbers on Japans BO this week guys? Or a Japan total so far?

So any numbers on Japans BO this week guys? Or a Japan total so far?

Foreign numbers tend to come in on Monday afternoon. For the last few weeks WB has been waiting until late Monday to release the numbers for MoS even for domestic, so we won't know until Late Monday or early Tuesday to have a clear picture of the weekend box office.

Foreign numbers tend to come in on Monday afternoon. For the last few weeks WB has been waiting until late Monday to release the numbers for MoS even for domestic, so we won't know until Late Monday or early Tuesday to have a clear picture of the weekend box office.

Domestically it is almost at a standstill, yet movies like STID are in a 1000 or so theaters and are still making decent money. Just to add, STID has been out nearly 30 days longer than MOS.

Man of Steel did as well at the Box Office as I expected. It made 266 million more than Returns. I'd say it's a success. But judging Wu's decision to put Batman in the sequel, it's evident that WB is hungry for that billion dollar gross.

Domestically it is almost at a standstill, yet movies like STID are in a 1000 or so theaters and are still making decent money. Just to add, STID has been out nearly 30 days longer than MOS.

Yeah, last week was kind of a shock considering the regal "re-release". It lost a lot of screens. Of interesting note, is that it was averaging more per screen than STiD and WWZ while having a much small screen count. I am curious to how the money was counted for the STiD/WWZ double feature. Was the money split or do they both get to count the full amount the brought in for the double feature?

Domestically, it is pretty likely that MoS is pretty much done. I will crawl over 291 unless there is true rerelease to push the blu ray release which I don't feel is likely to happen.

But like I said in an earlier post...the only number that matters to me at this point is 07172015!

WW boxoffice and user/rating is pretty much pointless. Who the f cares how much a studio pays to make a film. It's not my money. It's not the fans money. If the movie flops at the box office yeah we might not get a sequel to that film but at the end of the day you the fan will own it on home video no matter how money it makes. (that's if you like it).

The same goes for user/critic rating. I like the Transformers movies and with all the critic and fan complaining look how popular those movies are and the huge amount of money they have made. Alot of people must like/love those movies but you read here and other internet places that those films suck.

Who are in the right consensus the "Fans here" or the general movie going public. What makes or labels someone a fan???

Everybody I've met f n'g loved MOS. Loved that Superman killed Zod. Loved the action. They loved the things that most Internet fans complain about. They would of had to of liked Superman in some way or another to go see MOS be it they might not watch the animated shows or read the comic books but are still fans of the character.

WW boxoffice and user/rating is pretty much pointless. Who the f cares how much a studio pays to make a film. It's not my money. It's not the fans money. If the movie flops at the box office yeah we might not get a sequel to that film but at the end of the day you the fan will own it on home video no matter how money it makes. (that's if you like it).

The same goes for user/critic rating. I like the Transformers movies and with all the critic and fan complaining look how popular those movies are and the huge amount of money they have made. Alot of people must like/love those movies but you read here and other internet places that those films suck.

Who are in the right consensus the "Fans here" or the general movie going public. What makes or labels someone a fan???

Everybody I've met f n'g loved MOS. Loved that Superman killed Zod. Loved the action. They loved the things that most Internet fans complain about. They would of had to of liked Superman in some way or another to go see MOS be it they might not watch the animated shows or read the comic books but are still fans of the character.

well, you and your friends are clearly insane, because MOS is only like one of the worst movies EVER!!! :o

you are forbidden to like it!!!

:whatever:

:oldrazz:

Yeah, last week was kind of a shock considering the regal "re-release". It lost a lot of screens. Of interesting note, is that it was averaging more per screen than STiD and WWZ while having a much small screen count. I am curious to how the money was counted for the STiD/WWZ double feature. Was the money split or do they both get to count the full amount the brought in for the double feature?

Domestically, it is pretty likely that MoS is pretty much done. I will crawl over 291 unless there is true rerelease to push the blu ray release which I don't feel is likely to happen.

But like I said in an earlier post...the only number that matters to me at this point is 07172015!

Yeah I was also curious as to how they split the box office take from a double feature.

You are only a fan if you think the movie was terrible. True story.

Man of Steel is successful, it made more money than it was expected to make.

MOS made 160 mil. in product placement deals before it was even released (promotional tie-ins.)

Then it made 657 mil world wide with final numbers from Japan still to be added, which could be 13 mil more.

Also, it made a lot of money from Merchandise sales (Toys and other stuff.). Soon, DVD / Blu-ray sales and selling movie rights on channels will get more money.

So, I think that it was successful considering the fact that it was a reboot to a moderately received movie (SR) at the time when Superman is not the most popular hero out there.

Man of Steel did as well at the Box Office as I expected. It made 266 million more than Returns. I'd say it's a success. But judging Wu's decision to put Batman in the sequel, it's evident that WB is hungry for that billion dollar gross.

The decision to make SvB was made months before MoS was released, when Snyder was still in editing. So to be a little more accurate, WB's is hungry for an MCU style franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"