Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thor 2 will make more than 1 but its too early to be saying it will make 700 to 800m. It could be a one week wonder and fall off the next week. When does HG2 open? It will crush Thor

Two weeks later. Essentially, Thor 2 has two weeks to make bank before Jennifer Lawrence comes in, bow and arrow in hand, and crushes everything.

And how could WB expect 800 million worldwide for MOS when no reboot has ever made that much on it's first trying?

Again, unrealistic expectations for this film.

It's not really a stretch actually.. there were so much pent up demand for a new superman movie and if like most agree, the movie was great (by a few simple fixes), it's not a stretch of the imagination that it'll easily hit 800M

Right now, its going to hit 650M for sure, and prob even 700M plus... and we know that WB totally ignored large parts of the world in their marketing efforts and add together their TERRIBLE release date, not to mention if they had fixed some of their script issues/pacing issues, I would say that MOS would have easily crossed the 800M mark...

Thor 2 ain't making 700/800 million worldwide. No 'effing way. Of the MCU franchises, Thor's my favorite and I'm hoping the sequel is great but it's not getting that much of a bump.

Thor made $450 million. With a well received origin, a $100 million boost is likely, plus his exposure in The Avengers, and trailers that feed off the GA's hunger for Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. $650-750 should be in the bag as long as the film gets decent reviews.

600+ WW or not, as far as I'm concerned the DC movie universe is already doomed to fail. I did enjoy Man of Steel, but it wasn't good enough, and if that film is a taste of what's to come then I can't see it as a good thing. We're talking about a film company, that doesn't seem to know what they're doing and are afraid most of the time to do anything. And yet they want more control over DC films?

I dare you to try and spin that as a good thing.

I'm I in understanding that without Legendary, the new creative force for future DC movies will be from the same folks who helped produce GL?

Not at all. The money will come more for wb or something like that. the creative team behind GL were De Line. and De Line won't be allowed anywhere near DC again.

Well Legendary only puts about 15% of the production budget into those movies, so they can't greenlight anything. But personally I feel that the decision makers of Legendary kept pushing WB over and over to take some bigger and better risks and WB wouldn't have it. That's why they just shrugged and aren't renewing their contract with them.

The guys at Legendary that I've met are smart risk takers, they don't just throw money at the wall hoping it sticks. And they're huge, HUGE genre fans so they want these movies to have a high level of quality. If WB doesn't want to work with them Universal surely would.

In WB's defense, they're not Marvel Studios. They can make more than just comic book movies. And it's not like they didn't take any risks. The Matrix Trilogy. Inception. Speed Racer. Watchmen.

They've risked some. They may not have risked as much in the DC properties that Legendary and fans of the genre wish and honestly, I can sort of see why.

I mean, how the hell do you do a legit Aquaman movie, considering the unpredictability of water and make that a hit film?

Thor will get kill by Hunger Game... If Thor is to make any money they better hope to have a huge opening weekend and strong second week. After that Hunger Game is release it will eat it up... That's the truth...

Maybe the new phrase should be "It's going to hit ____ for sure" since people keep changing the number around every other day. That way they can say they were always right :)

This movie was never going to hit $700 mil world wide unless some completely unexpected event took place. Too. Much. Competition. Even the studio knew that months in advance.

600+ WW or not, as far as I'm concerned the DC movie universe is already doomed to fail. I did enjoy Man of Steel, but it wasn't good enough, and if that film is a taste of what's to come then I can't see it as a good thing. We're talking about a film company, that doesn't seem to know what they're doing and are afraid most of the time to do anything. And yet they want more control over DC films?

I dare you to try and spin that as a good thing.

What was the so called problem with Man of Steel that dooms the DC Universe, may I ask?

In WB's defense, they're not Marvel Studios. They can make more than just comic book movies. And it's not like they didn't take any risks. The Matrix Trilogy. Inception. Speed Racer. Watchmen.

They've risked some. They may not have risked as much in the DC properties that Legendary and fans of the genre wish and honestly, I can sort of see why.

I mean, how the hell do you do a legit Aquaman movie, considering the unpredictability of water and make that a hit film?

You wait and see how Cameron do Avatar 2 with it's underwater world... :yay:

THen copy it.. :oldrazz:

Thor made $450 million. With a well received origin, a $100 million boost is likely, plus his exposure in The Avengers, and trailers that feed off the GA's hunger for Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. $650-750 should be in the bag as long as the film gets decent reviews.

Yeah...not seeing that. Iron Man was a major hit and Iron Man 2 didn't make that much more than the first worldwide.

Again, love the Thor franchise. Hope the sequel is great but it ain't getting that big of a boost.

Aqua man is beyond simple from a story perspective. I'll agree that effects are the road block, but let's wait for Avatar 2.

To ensure 3 billion WW happens with JL hire Cameron to create a whole new CBM movie experience and change the CBM industry forever... :woot:

Kinda puts Inception in some real perspective, when your average comic book film makes 500-600m, but a complex film about dreams based on no existing source material and with no real core fanbase gets 800m WW. It being better than said comic book films would certainly help, but you kinda understand why WB keeps bending over backwards for Chris Nolan.

They probably said that about IM at one time and volia - first outing it took in 300 million domestic. It's not impossible that WB has a sleeper character - Flash, WW - that could do the same. Come out of nowhere and do 300 million in it's first outing.

I'm not agreeing with them, but I can kind of see their hesitations. Their lack of carrying out and sort of a plan and procrastination in setting up firm release dates are the main problems with adapting their DC properties IMO.

Well, here's the problem with that. WB can't get Cameron. And only Cameron can do Cameron. So, yeah, again, how do you make Aquaman work?

Kinda puts Inception in some real perspective, when your average comic book film makes 500-600m, but a complex film about dreams based on no existing source material and with no real core fanbase gets 800m WW. It being better than said comic book films would certainly help, but you kinda understand why WB keeps bending over backwards for Chris Nolan.

All of this times a million.

Well, here's the problem with that. WB can't get Cameron. And only Cameron can do Cameron. So, yeah, again, how do you make Aquaman work?

You don't need,Cameron for effects just to create the technology. From there, it's beyond a simple story to ground and make fascinating for those with an angle.

Aqua man is beyond simple from a story perspective. I'll agree that effects are the road block, but let's wait for Avatar 2.

Flash and Wonder Woman are the only viable properties outside the big two that can work at a decent cost.

To ensure 3 billion WW happens with JL hire Cameron to create a whole new CBM movie experience and change the CBM industry forever... :woot:

YES!!!

James Cameron takes over JL with a trilogy... like i mentioned earlier, it'll be a 9 hour mini-series broken down to 3 movies (3 hours long each)...

You'll have enough time to forgo all the 'origin stories' because there'll be lots of time to properly develop each character in the trilogy.. the story will be written all at once, and movie shot all at once, released 1 / year.. like LOTR...

Make it extremely epic... from individual battles building up to huge battles at the end...

Box Office Numbers? 10 BILLION DOLLARS!! :woot::woot::woot::woot:

Yeah...not seeing that. Iron Man was a major hit and Iron Man 2 didn't make that much more than the first worldwide.

Again, love the Thor franchise. Hope the sequel is great but it ain't getting that big of a boost.

If Avengers came in-between IM and IM2, IM2's jump would have been much higher. Not saying Thor 2 will get as big of a jump like IM2 to IM3, but even if it gets half (plausible given that Thor made $450 and Avengers $1.5 billion) than this film will hit or at least be around $700 million. Well received origin, third highest grossing film of all-time, capitalizing on a popular genre, I can't see Thor 2 NOT getting $150 million more than its predecessor.

If Avengers came in-between IM and IM2, IM2's jump would have been much higher. Not saying Thor 2 will get as big of a jump like IM2 to IM3, but even if it gets half (plausible given that Thor made $450 and Avengers $1.5 billion) than this film will hit or at least be around $700 million. Well received origin, third highest grossing film of all-time, capitalizing on a popular genre, I can't see Thor 2 NOT getting $150 million more than its predecessor.

Thor will probably make 450-500 WW. It won't make more since Hunger Game will take most of the WW BO money... People love this movie even though I didn't like it...

Why do you think WB will not green light a sequel? If Batman Begin did only $374,218,673 WW its entire run and MOS did 400 Million in 10 days which franchise do you think is on the right start considering it’s a reboot and it had to live up to STM’s legacy and also clean everyone off the Superman Return’s stink. What's the right choice here? Also, you have to consider that the GA likes MOS with especially with an A- CinemaScore. If they didn't like it you can bet it is down to a B- or C, even the review from GA average 4/5. If BB can get a sequel with a mix GA and pull TDK out of it and everyone that once hated on it or doubted it begin to call it a master piece MOS can do the same. IF WB did not green light the sequel you would have never seen TDK. MOS is now in the same situation. WB knows that they are doing with their two top franchises. The problem was always trying to move on from STM and Superman Return. They have done that with MOS and can finally move on to their share DCU. It would be stupid to start everything over because a few fan boys and GA aren't happy with MOS and how Superman is not like what they wanted. If 85% of the GA loves MOS, 10% mix, 5% hate it why would you not move on with the sequel. It would just set you back 10-15 more years trying to start the franchise again.

Kevin Tsujihara is’t stupide and knows what’s he’s doing with WB. The man knows that this is the time to run with MOS and their JL movie. Everyone knows that just Batman and Superman on the same movie will be huge. One can only imagine what JL can do at the BO is done right. I bet he will establish the DC Studio to focus on bringing MOS 2, World Finest, JL, and all other DC character to the big screen. This is probably why they no longer need Legendary as their partner.

At no time did Batman Begins have a "mixed" reception. It had great legs, great word of mouth, and very strong home video sales. Plus it had the Joker card ending, which is pretty much the best ending to any superhero movie. People were pumped as hell for a sequel and WB knew it would increase quite a bit as a result, especially with the most iconic superhero villain involved.

BB had the biggest toxic albatross around its neck called Batman & Robin and WB's marketing department. Man of Steel had much better marketing and nowhere near the stigma of B&R coming from SR. Most people just forgot about that film. That's why MOS was able to open to almost $130m in just 3.5 days. Now it has shown mixed word of mouth and poor legs at the box office. Odds are the sequel will stay the same or drop at the domestic box office and it might be able to offset that by increasing some overseas.

This is Justice League... there are cloning machines... so, you clone Cameron! :oldrazz:

Flash and Wonder Woman are the only viable properties outside the big two that can work at a decent cost.

If it's in terms of cost right now. agreed. luckily that gives me more time. I'm at the place about now with a script with Universal that makes a previously thought to be uncool character awesome, but just need about one or two more years to really get there. and got a particular approach to this that I know will work. so, actually happy that it will take some more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"