Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1.5 B marker in the poll shouldn't even be there. The Avengers benchmarking 1.5 doesn't make it an attainable goal for any CBM coming out. Maybe if this movie kickstarted a JL movie, that movie would have a chance. The hype for that movie leading to the 1.5 was unlike anything I've ever seen.

I would agree,but since The Avengers did reach the goal, it is still possible however unlikely.
Besides, I think quite a few people would be upset if the 1.5 B Marker wasnt there.
Hope Springs Eternal.

The success of Oz was not based on Franco, he doesn't really hurt the movie but he didn't elevate it greatly either. Lots of other things have made Oz a success.

yes james franco did elevate oz the great and powerful to be the hit it has become since his career choices post spider man 3 have been credible pineapple express , 127 hours , rise of planet of the apes ect and because of that james was was able to elevate oz to box office glory like Robert downey jr and johnny depp did for sherlock holmes and the pirates of the Caribbean .

Last edited:
Paramount recently denied Tatums role was increased.

Hmm... we'll have to see.

But getting back to the MOS box office thread, it's certainly possible the movie could overperform. I didn't expect The Hunger Games to make $300M, let alone $400M domestic -- or see Skyfall cross the $300M mark.

yes james franco did elevate oz the great and powerful to be the hit it has become since his career choices post spider man 3 have been credible pineapple express , 127 hours , rise of planet of the apes ect and because of that james was was able to elevate oz to box office glory like Robert downey jr and johnny depp did for sherlock holmes and the pirates of the Caribbean .

Strangely enough, both of those latter actors were up for the role ahead of Franco. I wonder if RDJ or Depp's (insane) star power would have had any effect on OZ. Inversely I wonder what Franco could have done for the Iron Man or Pirate's films success on star power alone.

After Earf's biggest weapon is it's star at this point.

There's a reason WB want's bale back as batman....I digress, I dont' think the effect of star power on a films performance is all that arguable. Tatums everywhere now, at least compared to where he was when he lead the first film. And instead of Marlon Waynes the seasoned Dennis Quaid, he's flanked by the rock and Bruce Willis. If star power means anything, this should do a little better than the last on that principle alone.

If I were to bring this back to MoS as well.
If TF and IM and Spiderman and Hunger games and Skyfall can just show up and stand on their own and make money, I believe in MoS doing similar on it's own merit, I just need wb to do it's part.

Disagree. Just like in Apes a lot of people feel Franco could have been replaced. He doesn't hurt the movie but he didn't elevate it by much. Oz was not sold on Franco playing the wizard.

About as safe a bet as that article was. Stating the safe and obvious.

My nephews and nieces will have Grandchildren by the time this Lawsuit is over.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess 650m or so worldwide. I think 250m domestic is a lock...SR made 200m six years ago and wasn't received that well. Even a tepid Superman movie will make north of 200m easy. He's that big.

If this is good, I could see 300m or more domestic. I'm thinking overseas he'll do at least that much.

There's a reason WB want's bale back as batman....
Is Bale really that important to the Batman franchise?

Perhaps , but I hope they dont hold their breath too long waiting for him to come back.

They shouldn't. They should reboot the character. Bale's Wayne is done.

I'm going to guess 650m or so worldwide. I think 250m domestic is a lock...SR made 200m six years ago and wasn't received that well. Even a tepid Superman movie will make north of 200m easy. He's that big.

If this is good, I could see 300m or more domestic. I'm thinking overseas he'll do at least that much.

So far, I'd say these numbers are reasonable.
If the next trailer is amazing, I'll ''upgrade'' these numbers.:word:

I don't know why but I'm lowering my estimate to 550-600.
I just don't see 700 a possibility anymore.

well, still don't see any hype yet.

Is Bale really that important to the Batman franchise?

He's more important for Justice League than Batman, honestly.

The only chance Justice League can even sniff Avengers numbers is if Bale is in it.

He's more important for Justice League than Batman, honestly.

The only chance Justice League can even sniff Avengers numbers is if Bale is in it.
They would have to do a lot of work to get Bale into a JL movie I think.

First it would have to be a flashback because Bale's Batman was done at the end of TDKR....physically and mentally. He could barely move at that point. It would be like drafting Emmitt Smith in this year's NFL draft.

Second, they would somehow have to transform Nolan's version of "Batman-lite" into the JL version in the comics who can actually contribute to the team. He would have to be a super genius/detective who never makes mistakes. Nolan's Batman didn't even know the Catwoman was working in his house and the main villain was running his company.

Man, if you guys actually believe Begins had a fantastic marketing scheme then I suggest you talk to Jamie. Leading up to the film, WB completely dropped the ball. The only reason Begins garnered over 200 million domestically is because of the strong word of mouth.

Very true. I wasn't on the Hype at the time, but I only knew that a new Batman film was happening when the first images of the suit came out. Then after that back to nothing. I didn't even see the trailers or Superbowl spot. As a huge Batman fan, I was shocked that any marketing or mention of the film seemed non existent, and that I was in the dark for so long.

After I saw the film, there were WB people at the theater taking surveys about it, asking what you liked, would want more of, etc. They were really clueless about Batman and the whole campaign showed it.

That new batman film was everywhere as far as my experience went. From Superbowl to mystery teaser a year earlier to all that Katie Holmes coverage on ET to the many many variations of the that same poster.

I remember being hella excited. At this point I think BB had more buzz than this MoS is currently getting, but time will tell.

I remember being hella excited. At this point I think BB had more buzz than this MoS is currently getting, but time will tell.
I was really excited too, but I was following the production the second we got those Tumbler/Alfred/Bruce Wayne pics. Sure, I'll agree, and say BB had more marketing for it than what I've seen for MOS, but BB wasn't a heavily marketed movie to begin with.

That new batman film was everywhere as far as my experience went. From Superbowl to mystery teaser a year earlier to all that Katie Holmes coverage on ET to the many many variations of the that same poster.

i agree that batman begins was well marketed and that wb is doing a horrible job with man of steel so many missed chances to plug this film with hits like oz and die hard 5 ect its like they are trying to bank on nolan's name alone .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"