Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media is going to be flooded with MOS ads and footage by May.

It ain't gonna flop.

Superman Returns made 391M worldwide in 2006. It was a strange reboot/remake/sequel that performed below expectations and while it divided critics, general audiences weren't particularly thrilled.

So what could allow the upcoming MOS film to surpass it?

- The first, and most obvious reason is the implementation of 3D ticket prices. 3D can mean the difference between a blockbuster and a megablockbuster, breaking even and profitable hit, or flop -> company-killing disaster. Additional price = additional profitability, which leads to...

- general inflation. A ticket price in 2006 is not the same in 2013.

Granted, these factors are meaningless unless the film sells at least around 80% of the amount of tickets. So how does MOS widen the gap in its favor?

Hype? Talent behind the camera? script?

If MoS is as great as we're hoping it will be, word of mouth will send it hundreds of millions passed SR.

Yes. Nolan's name, plus the star power, plus Snyder's action and visuals, give it an advantage over the pseudo-1970s "muddy" digital cinematography, limited action, and unfaithfulness to the character. And that's assuming the movie isn't great ;)

I'd say inflation + 3-D alone will ensure that it beats SR WW. I have no idea if the movie itself will be better though. I have no more faith in Nolan/Snyder than I had in Singer. But at least this new film has SR to look back on and say "Ok, let's do it differently than that", so at least that's something in MoS's favor.

Shout out to Marvin who who predicted GI Joe:RFetaliation would open big this weekend .
$132 million.
Wow.
And he was also right that it would have been a good place for WB to attach the next MOS trailer.
They are probably kicking themselves now that they didnt.

Shout out to Marvin who who predicted GI Joe:RFetaliation would open big this weekend .
$132 million.
Wow.
And he was also right that it would have been a good place for WB to attach the next MOS trailer.
They are probably kicking themselves now that they didnt.

Not really a good showing for G.I Joe, it made less than the first one domestically with a weirdo 4 day turn and 3D.

I'm going to say something that might be obvious but for some reason everyone on this board is overlooking.

Don't underestimate the power of having Christopher Nolan's name attached to the movie.

I'd say inflation + 3-D alone will ensure that it beats SR WW. I have no idea if the movie itself will be better though. I have no more faith in Nolan/Snyder than I had in Singer. But at least this new film has SR to look back on and say "Ok, let's do it differently than that", so at least that's something in MoS's favor.

I don't know, I think that the heavy weight of Superman Returns is hanging around MOS's neck like the proverbial albatross, which may well dampen the GA's desire to see it. Seven years is not long enough to erase the memory of that steaming pile from everyone's minds.

People didn't completely hate Superman Returns they just didn't care for it.

Joe did pretty good for March having spread it's tally over 5 days of a religious family holiday. Not so sure how the first would have done under the same circumstances. I was def off though. I would have guessed 60 over 3 days.

I don't know, I think that the heavy weight of Superman Returns is hanging around MOS's neck like the proverbial albatross, which may well dampen the GA's desire to see it. Seven years is not long enough to erase the memory of that steaming pile from everyone's minds.

true look at batman begins .

Ah but that's where the TV Spots come in. You show plenty of action, plus show some familiar faces like Costner, Crowe, Lane, etc. then the people will be more inclined to go see it. In today's world, if something "looks" cool then they will go see it. IMO, it's all about the content and when they air the TV Spots. Ultimately, that will put butts in the seats.

Oh and you better believe they are going to plaster Nolan's name all over the spots. The TDK trilogy WILL be mentioned in most of the spots, I guarantee it.

I'm going to say something that might be obvious but for some reason everyone on this board is overlooking.

Don't underestimate the power of having Christopher Nolan's name attached to the movie.

when this film was announced and the cast was put together i said this will do 680 to 850 million ww easy then i said 600 to 709 million now i am not so sure because Nolan and Snyder are talented people but wb can't market a superman movie right it's like in 2008 marvel marketed iron man well and the incredible hulk not so well will smith has a movie coming out before man of steel his last 3 big budget films did great at the box office .

it is just arrogant for wb just to think they can reboot a superman film with a bigger budget then superman returns with Nolan style and Snyder action and make it a hit by barely marketing it this is not tdk 4 this is a whole different ball game they should have plugged the film with oz , die hard 5 , GI Joe 2 if the film flops it won't be Snyder fault it will be on the empty suits .

Last edited:
My main issue with the maketing isn't so much the quantity or lack thereof, but the "Quality"
In the post avengers age, they are actually selling this film as a qualm thoughtful piece(at this point).

I'm looking forward to that changing otherwise, you really will see the apathetic effect SReturns had on superman play out into this films opening.

true look at batman begins .

I don't think that performance of Batman Begins can be compared to MOS -

* Batman Begins was following Batman and Robin where as Man of Steel is coming after Superman Returns, before anyone says that Batman and Robin is just like Superman Returns, take a look at this -

Batman and Robin

Rotten Tomato rating - 12 %

IMDB rating -3.6/10

Superman Returns

Rotten Tomato Rating: 76%

IMDB Rating - 6.3/10

Most of people were indifferent to the movie, some liked it as a closure to Donner movie verse, only some fans hated it, so it will not really affect the chances of MOS.

* Nolan was not that popular and well known at the time of Batman Begins, his name is much more recognized now, so this will help MOS.

* Superhero movies (with the exception of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man) were not really popular at the time Batman Begins was released, the scenario is much different today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"