Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything over 500M would be considered a good start for this franchise. Can't get greedy and try to break the 1B mark, gotta win the people over first. Avengers made 1.5B because of it's 4 year build up. If and only IF they can pull off something similar to Marvel's Phase One, The Justice League would be the only movie I see topping Marvel's Avengers in the nearby future. That movie along with Star Wars of course. JJ is going to revive that franchise from it's horrible prequel.

I think people are getting too generous with the opening weekend gross for MOS. (A $65-80M opening is more realistic.) I want this film to do well, but it's not going to do Iron Man 3 domestic numbers unless the word-of-mouth is really good.

I think people are getting too generous with the opening weekend gross for MOS. (A $65-80M opening is more realistic.) I want this film to do well, but it's not going to do Iron Man 3 domestic numbers unless the word-of-mouth is really good.

Exactly. I'm calling a 75 million opening weekend.
And i think 500-550 ww gross is realistic. That is pretty decent for a reboot.

I can't see Man of Steel getting such low numbers. I too have a lot of reservations when it comes to Snyder, but I keep thinking of those reactions we were getting a few weeks ago where people were saying it's the "best movie of the year". It should surely do 100+, or at least have legs. Dialogue so far seems very well written. I say 800 million WW.

$500-600 million WW for a reboot is not low.

I generally agree with you (though I predicted an $85M opening). This was never going to be an IM-sized juggernaut, nor does it need to be. If it gets between $500M-$600M worldwide (where I think it will land) with good word-of-mouth, it will be in very good shape.

I generally agree with you (though I predicted an $85M opening). This was never going to be an IM-sized juggernaut, nor does it need to be. If it gets between $500M-$600M worldwide (where I think it will land) with good word-of-mouth, it will be in very good shape.

exactly.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think with WB's last marketing push, the opening weekend ceiling for MOS will probably be close to $100M. I don't want to compare this with the first Iron Man film, but with the 3D add-on and ticket inflation, it could have a Inception-sized opening with $10M-$15M tacked on.

I can't see Man of Steel getting such low numbers. I too have a lot of reservations when it comes to Snyder, but I keep thinking of those reactions we were getting a few weeks ago where people were saying it's the "best movie of the year". It should surely do 100+, or at least have legs. Dialogue so far seems very well written. I say 800 million WW.

Would those be the ones coming out of WB themselves? Yeah, take that with a hefty grain of salt.

600 mill ww as of now. Ask me again 24 hours from now.

A lot of you guys that are low balling MoS OW #'s are still thinking about SR in the back of your minds or the fact that it's a reboot and that's okay but remember, Supes is one of if not the first ever true Superhero in the comic book universe -- a total icon, a legend.

With 3D, IMAX becoming more popular, the buzz this film is about to get within the next 24 hours. We've got a 3rd trailer coming, Christopher Nolan's name slapped on it, and the fact that The Dark Knight trilogy isn't far removed (which is/was a huge success financially,) I can't envision MoS NOT grossing over $100 Mil for an OW. Being conservative is all right in my book. I expect it to have numbers very similar or in between Iron-Man 1/2's box office totals. That's my realistic guess

A lot of you guys that are low balling MoS OW #'s are still thinking about SR in the back of your minds or the fact that it's a reboot and that's okay but remember, Supes is one of if not the first ever true Superhero in the comic book universe -- a total icon, a legend.

That is the whole reason why people are being cautious in their predictions. Superman is a pop culture icon and legend - and, as a result, people think they know him. They believe he is exactly as portrayed in the Christopher Reeve films and, as a result, he is an archaic relic. An artifact of a happier, simpler time who doesn't really fit in in our modern world. Superman Returns reinforced that perception by reviving a 30 year old interpretation of the character.

Most people will talk respectfully about Superman being the first superhero and how he is worthy of great reverence and respect as a result, but that doesn't necessarily mean they want to see a Superman movie. The marketing for this film needs to establish that this is a new modern take on the character and that it is different than anything they have seen. That Superman is cool and hip.

Otherwise, people will be happy to leave the character with other relics where they believe he belongs, in a museum. Being an icon, a legend comes with baggage.

It's ok, Batman Begins bounced off after B&R, I think this will do around Inception numbers (about 60m opening) but word of mouth will be good, it will have staying power and like that film it will reach about 800m WW. Good enough to warrant a sequel, which like TDK will hopefully rule the world.

I don't know why some people (not on these boards) say Suprman's a relic because the problems he faces aren't relevant anymore. "How's he gonna defeat world hunger? How's he gonna solve the financial crisis?" Well, how's Batman and Iron Man solving these problems? Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.

Last edited:
I don't know why some people (not on these boards) say Suprman's a relic because the problems he faces aren't relevant anymore. "How's he gonna defeat world hunger? How's he gonna solve the financial crisis?" Well, how's Batman and Iron Man solving these problems? Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.

:applaud

Weren't there financial crises before 1950? Sometimes all people want is an age-old story about good vs. bad.

Well, Superman himself was created during the Great Depression. I actually think that if they do a good job marketing Man of Steel, it has the potential to do far better than we are all expecting. This recession has dragged on long enough. An optimistic, uplifting character like Superman could really strike a chord with people and make them feel better about life just like he did during the Golden Age.

Lol a relic? This movie is gonna make a statement. Oh, Superman isn't as popular anymore? How about we don't even need to call the movie Superman and we don't even need to say the word of Superman in the trailer. How about all we need to do is show a logo at the end. Watch my movie still make a s*** ton of money.

Name me one other superhero you could do that with. See if Marvel has the balls to release an Iron Man movie without the word Iron Man in the title and without saying Iron Man in the trailer.

Anyone who tells you Superman isn't popular in this day and age is an idiot.

Lol a relic? This movie is gonna make a statement. Oh, Superman isn't as popular anymore? How about we don't even need to call the movie Superman and we don't even need to say the word of Superman in the trailer. How about all we need to do is show a logo at the end. Watch my movie still make a s*** ton of money.

Name me one other superhero you could do that with. See if Marvel has the balls to release an Iron Man movie without the word Iron Man in the title and without saying Iron Man in the trailer.

Anyone who tells you Superman isn't popular in this day and age is an idiot.

Great point, let's also dare any other studio to produce a feature cbm without any punching and see it take in Return's gross.

I think SR's failure was due to a lot of problems.
it wasnt just a lack of punching scenes, but that didnt help matters .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"