Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you play the law of averages, then you have to assume that a rebooted franchise like Superman will not out gross a well established franchise like Iron Man in its second sequel. Then again, this is the Superman franchise and a good Superman film has always wound up being the first or second highest grossing film in that year it was released. Let's hope that the trend continues.
The last successful Superman film was 33 years ago.

Last edited:
I think SR's failure was due to a lot of problems.
it wasnt just a lack of punching scenes, but that didnt help matters .

People keep on using that as a crutch with Superman Returns but yeah, it wasn't due to its lack of punching. It's due to it's lack of identity, among other things.

Right now, I'm predicting it will have closer to an $85m opening weekend, yielding a $260m domestic take and a $500m-$600m worldwide total.
With the release of the trailer, I'm gonna give my predictions a very slight increase:

Opening Weekend: $85-90m

Domestic Total: $270m

Worldwide Total: $540-620m

SR was underperformed. but SIII, SIV did badly too.
a 'superman' movie does not guarantee good box office.

After the trailer and it's initial reaction to it, there is no way this does less than 650 million WW. No way. And depending on how the marketing continues and on what TV spots/possible one more trailer will be like, I may raise it for a 100, but not more. Not in June. Though I do think nothing is impossible, I'll say that much. ;)

After the trailer and it's initial reaction to it, there is no way this does less than 650 million WW. No way. And depending on how the marketing continues and on what TV spots/possible one more trailer will be like, I may raise it for a 100, but not more. Not in June. Though I do think nothing is impossible, I'll say that much. ;)

Same, provided the marketing is solid from here on out, I can see Man of Steel doing Inception numbers of roughly 700-800 million worldwide now. I also have this tiny feeling that this movie could be coming at just the right time, like TDK, like The Avengers, like Skyfall, and it'll explode.

After seeing the reaction for the trailer, if this film does very well critically (which WB is convinced will happen) then I'm certain this will go around 800mil WW. There is no way this can't do more than Inception WW if it gets the same critical acclaim.

I want to take the plunge and say it has a chance of joining the billion dollar club, but it's too early to say without coming off as overly wishful or optimistic.

The way to reach 800m is really long, but a good Superman movie, and for good I mean made for the 2013 public, should have not too many problems to cross easily the 220-230m in the US market and the 500m mark worldwide.

The way to reach 800m is really long, but a good Superman movie, and for good I mean made for the 2013 public, should have not too many problems to cross easily the 220-230m in the US market and the 500m mark worldwide.

Like I said...Inception managed it and that wasn't based on anything. If MoS has great reactions, I don't think it will be tough for MoS to reach 800 WW.

Having watched the new trailer lots, I now predict MoS will earn 900 squillion dollars worldwide... ;)

70-80 would be quite low.

I don't know, I think the trailer does the job of differentiating it from SR, but it still lacks a "fun" factor for me. I'm not saying it has to be light-hearted like the Iron Man movies, but the main message I get from the trailer is Superman trying to figure out who he is and his place in the world.

TDK was absolutely a "serious" movie, but the trailer still had fun to it because you had the Joker element, and people hadn't seen that in years. I think the next round of trailers need to emphasize that it isn't just Superman moping around for 2 hours, but that there's also an element of excitement to it.

I don't know, I think the trailer does the job of differentiating it from SR, but it still lacks a "fun" factor for me. I'm not saying it has to be light-hearted like the Iron Man movies, but the main message I get from the trailer is Superman trying to figure out who he is and his place in the world.

TDK was absolutely a "serious" movie, but the trailer still had fun to it because you had the Joker element, and people hadn't seen that in years. I think the next round of trailers need to emphasize that it isn't just Superman moping around for 2 hours, but that there's also an element of excitement to it.
i think it's fun seeing superman flying and punching... btw, is skyfall very fun / funny???

anyway, we are superb excited because we are fans. not sure how the general public reaction...

After seeing the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if this beat ASM's 750 m.

It won't be easy. Spider-man is far more popular overseas than Supes.

Another thing people can't overlook are the times in which this movie is being released. These are dark times. This bombing in Boston would have been a much bigger story a few years ago but our society is slowly growing numb to these national tragedies because they happen so often. You had the Colorado shooting, that mall shooting, the Sandy Hook shooting, now this... there's been a steady consistency of great national tragedies every few months or so. Sadly, this may be the new normal.

People might wanna go see a Superman movie more than ever.

Does anyone know whether MoS is going to open in China? The film would make quite a lot of money if it is successful in China.

Yeah Returns made only 8 million in China.

MOS could make 10 times that amount.

I said it before the second trailer and I'm saying it again. This movie will make a billion. This will be the event film of this year

I wish MOS luck at making $1 billion.
The Avengers did it, but that was after an opening weekend of over $200 million dollars .
MOS wont have that advantage .

As long as this film gets really good reviews, it will easily make above 500m. Im hoping that it will make 650-750m. That would be a high enough figure to get a sequel right ?

Someways I wish the last superman film was not made. It would have given MOS a greater impact as his returns movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"