Marvel: New Spidey Game & Ultimate Alliance (Sequel announced.)

I'm assuming you didn't bother to chat with the NPC's or play the trivia game?

I have, I've beaten M:UA three times already. That's not enough to call it "backstory", it's just trivia.

You do know that I'm not the one asking for more backstory, Spider-Vader is...right?

Just because there's no free-roam doesn't mean there can't be swinging.

You mentioned M:UA as a model. In that game "Web swinging" was just a skin on flying. A bad idea for communicating what Spider-Man does, how he does it, how cool it looks and how fun it would be to do in real life.

Maybe my opinion has no authority, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. The characters whose only powers are shooting things get old quickly in these games, so lets not have to many of them. Can you agree with that?

No, I enjoyed using Blade, Deadpool and Fury together, partially for the fact that they all had guns as one of their moves. Now those aren't my favorites, so I didn't use them often or for long, but they certainly seemed playable and fun, imho. I think simplifying non-powered characters with conventional equipment as "gun guys" is oversimplifying things. I don't think anyone should have to play those characters, but I do like them as options.

I just don't see why these three would be necessary outside of an X-Men game, that's all.

Definitely not necessary. But I think they are plausible options. Perhaps not popular enough to make the top 20, but it has little to do with them individually as characters and much more to do with their real life publication history.

My point, exactly. If you don't want to break the game, keep teleporting /phasing characters to a minimum.

I could deal with teleportation better, especially since Nightcrawler doesn't teleport through walls unless he knows what's on the other side. Phasing characters... hard to explain why Kitty doesn't just walk to the end or walk off of the stage. I've had enough trouble getting stuck off the stage as is... I'd hate to have a power that put me there.

Exactly.

Ryuuie, I'm not a fan of your idea either. :O Honestly, I think we've had enough brawlers/beat-em-ups. SM has way too much potential to be wasted on this genre. :down I don't see the appeal in a Spidey game that's just about fighting. :confused:

I think now would be the perfect time to make another free-roam Spidey game. They already have the engine, tech, city, swinging (these two could use a few modifications, though), and feedback from SM3. All they'd really have to do is focus on creating a large variety of missions and a good plot that makes good use of classic Spidey villains.

Here here. The key, imho, is to give the developers time to make the Spider-Man game work. I don't know why USM was rushed but it was. They had tons of stuff they were still trying to impliment when they were forced to put it out. Made no sense. SM3, even SM2, which we all seem to agree was quailty, HAD to come out when it did to meet the Movie deadline. If they'd give Activision time to finish the friggin games we'd get what we're looking for, but as is... ugh. You can't make a real Spidey game in a year and a half... not anymore.

The whole "free-roam HAS to be in" is just an opinion. And mine is that free-roam is done in Spider-Man games. They've had THREE chances to get it right, they ****ed up each time (except for Spider-Man 2). If it's free-roam, it'll most likely be just like Shadowdog said, a free roam game with "better" graphics and a new plot with maybe a few new attacks tossed in.

M:UA was mostly for hardcore fans, why else would it include SO many characters and not have backstory? They assume most of you know the backstory or can just look it up online.

Personally, I think we're all setting each other (and ourselves) up for disappointment as I see that we all (including myself) have such high hopes for this game (that it WILL be free-roam, that it WILL have classic villains, that it WILL have good swinging, etc.). Doesn't bode well...

So in summation:
*They've had three chances to get it right, and got it right once.
*M:UA, practically packaged with the 360, was for Hardcore fans.
*Having Free Roam Swinging and classic villains are high hopes, even though we've had free roam swinging for years and classic villains were already on the development table when USM undersold.

These are your beliefs?

Adding destructible environments, classic villains and a good plot just aren't that difficult. Especially when we're free from having to meet some Movie aesthetic and deadline.

And even if it is unlikely that they'll move forward... I'll take a shiny SM2 over Spider-Man Ultimate Alliance any day of the week. That latter doesn't even sound like fun to me.

SM:UA wouldn't make sense. One of M:UA's biggest draws was it's expansive line up of Playable Characters. Everyone could be one of their favorite heroes-or at the very least someone they liked a lot
I think a Spider-man game needs more depth than that because you are focusing on playing one character for all if not most of the game. There has to be more to the gameplay than just mash, mash, supermove, mash

I think the idea proposed involved using Spider-Man's supporting cast, ie Daredevil, Black Cat, Dr. Strange (I know, some of them are very much their own heroes) and the like. If such a thing were to happen, it would be nice to see Prowler, Ezekiel, Arana, some Spider-Women and the like as playable. I'd probably play it and have fun. I just don't think it should be THE Spidey game.

Here here. The key, imho, is to give the developers time to make the Spider-Man game work. I don't know why USM was rushed but it was. They had tons of stuff they were still trying to impliment when they were forced to put it out. Made no sense. SM3, even SM2, which we all seem to agree was quailty, HAD to come out when it did to meet the Movie deadline. If they'd give Activision time to finish the friggin games we'd get what we're looking for, but as is... ugh. You can't make a real Spidey game in a year and a half... not anymore.

Well, it's going to happen. The new Spidey game has only been in production for a few months, if you haven't noticed Activision's got kind of a record for making games in about 1 year's time (at least their recent Marvel games). So, get used to it.

Oh, and blame Sony for making SM3 meet the movie's deadline.

So in summation:
*They've had three chances to get it right, and got it right once.
*M:UA, practically packaged with the 360, was for Hardcore fans.
*Having Free Roam Swinging and classic villains are high hopes, even though we've had free roam swinging for years and classic villains were already on the development table when USM undersold.

- Yes, they have had 3 chances to get it right.
- Yes, it was. It's not too hard to figure that out.
- Yes, it IS high hopes because neither you or me knows how this game will be. Everyone claimed FoF would be free-roam until we saw screenshots.

Adding destructible environments, classic villains and a good plot just aren't that difficult. Especially when we're free from having to meet some Movie aesthetic and deadline.

Yea, it is hard to add destructible environments on the old hardware of PS2 and Wii (at least to the scale of 360 / PS3). Keep in mind that Activision is a huge Wii supporter and won't leave a game off of Wii if they can.

Classic villains aren't hard, but when did I say we won't get classic villains? e.e I said we won't get a classic 616 storyline. Are you paying attention to what I'm saying?

A good plot...in a year and a half? lol. Not likely. They know that they can make any ol' crap up and Spider-Man fans will buy it just because of the swinging. Look at SM3, it's their best superhero game to date because of the sales

And even if it is unlikely that they'll move forward... I'll take a shiny SM2 over Spider-Man Ultimate Alliance any day of the week. That latter doesn't even sound like fun to me.

Spider-Man games will be boring and predictable if Activision listens to most fans, I'm glad they aren't.

Spider-Man Remake!! Spider-Man Remake! Spider-Man remake!! Take SM1(psx,dc,n64) and make it free roam.

So in the first cutscene "Technology, is the light that shines through the darkness" Make that a whole level, not just a fmv. Play as Peter and walk around the crows trying to get good photos before Doc Ock finishes talking. There are no specific places to stand, but you get higher points and bonuses (Think Dead Rising) for the pics you take.

When the other spidey shows up, you have to get pictures of him, but then Eddie Brock walks in front of your camera and an FMV starts.

So when that's over you swing around New York and do whatever you want. Stop some robberies, chase some bad guys. Intro from Stan Lee, voice over narration from Campbell and after you get enough points you have to go meet Black Cat on a building. That's where you'd start where the psx version starts.

The fog would return, but this time you won't die if you fall because it's free roam.

What would it matter if the fog is there then? For story! And besides once you beat the game, you'll be able to just swing around the city with random encounters from foes like dock ock or hobgoblin.

All of the codes would return too, as well as some new ones. Obviously the story will have some additions that weren't in the psx version, so "What if" mode will be different too.

Spider-Man Remake!! Spider-Man Remake! Spider-Man remake!! Take SM1(psx,dc,n64) and make it free roam.

So in the first cutscene "Technology, is the light that shines through the darkness" Make that a whole level, not just a fmv. Play as Peter and walk around the crows trying to get good photos before Doc Ock finishes talking. There are no specific places to stand, but you get higher points and bonuses (Think Dead Rising) for the pics you take.

When the other spidey shows up, you have to get pictures of him, but then Eddie Brock walks in front of your camera and an FMV starts.

So when that's over you swing around New York and do whatever you want. Stop some robberies, chase some bad guys. Intro from Stan Lee, voice over narration from Campbell and after you get enough points you have to go meet Black Cat on a building. That's where you'd start where the psx version starts.

The fog would return, but this time you won't die if you fall because it's free roam.

What would it matter if the fog is there then? For story! And besides once you beat the game, you'll be able to just swing around the city with random encounters from foes like dock ock or hobgoblin.

All of the codes would return too, as well as some new ones. Obviously the story will have some additions that weren't in the psx version, so "What if" mode will be different too.

...That would be boring and sad. It would just prove to everyone else that Activision has no good ideas for Spider-Man games and needs to rehash just to get people to buy.

Need I remind you that the ONLY people that like Spider-Man games are Spider-Man fans, so in order to make MORE fans, Activision will have to make it appealing for all, a remake does not do this.

Well, it's going to happen. The new Spidey game has only been in production for a few months, if you haven't noticed Activision's got kind of a record for making games in about 1 year's time (at least their recent Marvel games). So, get used to it.

And, at present, there's no set release date. So we'll see how long the developers get.

- Yes, they have had 3 chances to get it right.
- Yes, it was. It's not too hard to figure that out.
- Yes, it IS high hopes because neither you or me knows how this game will be. Everyone claimed FoF would be free-roam until we saw screenshots.

Since neither one of us knows how the game will be, why should we think it will be bad?

It never even entered my mind that FoF could possibly be free-roam. That wouldn't even make any sense from the time the concept was announced. What forums were these where everyone thought it would be free-roam? Not here, I hope.

Also, usually when people use the phrase "they had three chance to get it right" that implies that they never got it right. Since they did get it right for SM2, that phrase is misleading. The fact is, they had three chances to get it right and they DID get it right, so perhaps you should state the problem in a way that seems less conflicted.

Classic villains aren't hard, but when did I say we won't get classic villains? e.e I said we won't get a classic 616 storyline. Are you paying attention to what I'm saying?

I am, I'm just not sure how it's relevant anymore. Here's what you said:

Personally, I think we're all setting each other (and ourselves) up for disappointment as I see that we all (including myself) have such high hopes for this game (that it WILL be free-roam, that it WILL have classic villains, that it WILL have good swinging, etc.).

You mentioned classic villains as high hopes. There's no other way to read your statement.

A good plot...in a year and a half? lol. Not likely. They know that they can make any ol' crap up and Spider-Man fans will buy it just because of the swinging. Look at SM3, it's their best superhero game to date because of the sales.

Incorrect. Those games are sold on movie marketting, according to any reliable source, not on the swinging. That's why they get rushed out the door, because they need to take advantage of that marketting. And they suck because they get rushed out the door, not because of any lack of talent or effort on the part of the developers.

Spider-Man games will be boring and predictable if Activision listens to most fans, I'm glad they aren't.

What aspect of what fans want strikes you as boring and predictable?
A good plot, destructible Environments or a string of classic spidey villains? Perhaps you think Unlockables are boring and predictable... I don't know.

...That would be boring and sad. It would just prove to everyone else that Activision has no good ideas for Spider-Man games and needs to rehash just to get people to buy.

Need I remind you that the ONLY people that like Spider-Man games are Spider-Man fans, so in order to make MORE fans, Activision will have to make it appealing for all, a remake does not do this.

How would it be boring and sad? Not only was that game praised across the board, but people have played that who may not have played the newer games. And for the "new fans", how would it not attract them if the game is good?

I'm not saying it's the greatest idea ever, but I could see it being a hit.

Resident Evil remake brought in soooo many new fans and it also helped the games by introducing new story and ideas.

If they make a Spider-Man (psx) remake game then the overall plot and story are already there:
-Spider-Man is framed.
-Dock Ock and Carnage work together trying to control symbiotes.
-Venom is pissed off at "Spider-Man" for ruining his camera. So he kidnaps MJ. But after a bit of a struggle they end up working together.
-Black Cat and Spidey work together until she is kidnapped.
-Daredevil and other heroes make apperances and try to clear his name.

Sure they could change and add things.I'd love to see Puma, Silver Sable, Hobgoblin, classic GG, Madame Webb, etc..

Since it's a remake, they could always throw in aspects of the original game and throw them around. Like the Syndicate that Spidey fights was made up for the game, right? So how about have that arc all about them instead of just the bank. Like once you solve the case of the bank, you track down the helicopter and the rest of the gang.

This and Spider-man 2: the movie, are the only 2 games that a lot of people seem to agree got the most things right. So a mix of them would be the most intelligent thing Activision could do. Quite the opposite of what you said.

Ryuuie Im not a fan of your ideas either. Spidey is free roam! Spidey isnt really the problem(although could use improvement) with the free roam related games he has been in. What the developers fail to realise is that the city is a character aswell. In SM2 USM and SM3. The city never felt alive! Rockstar has it down pat when it comes to making a artificial city come to life. Maybe Activision/Treyarch need to listen to the fans and take notes from rockstar when it comes to developing an interactive city. Im not saying I want Spidey doing drive bys, Im jus saying we have to have more to do than just missions races, and looking for crappy tokens.

...and more than a dozen or so people who all look the same and say the same things!

Yeah in San Andreas, I can get to the rooftop of every building in the game. I can go to a city and to a rural area. Another and even another city...There's an ocean and even the sky is traversable because of helicopters and planes.

There are at least 20 different peds the cops that walk the streets, then you have story characters like your various girlfriends and "grove st." friends. All having unique and specific dialogue. CJ also says NUMEROUS things throughout the game in or out of story.

The dirty or "poor" areas look different then the uptown areas.

There's fast food stores that you can interact with and things to buy, a monetary system, weapons...

Long story short there is so much in the game that nothing fans ask for should really be ignored in a spidey game. And look at GTAIV that already looks more detailed and interactive than SM3.

I think Rockstar should have a turn and maybe Activision should pass the rights along. Usually it's 3 strikes, aren't they up to four with a contract still in place?

Or even Volition inc. Saints Row is more interactive than SM games.

To be honest I don't care if spidey grabs a ledge before falling if you can't even have him do the stuff he did in SM2... As he gets more fluid or agile and the graphics get better, the controls go down.

You guys keep saying three times as though they missed the first one. If I'm playing baseball and I hit the first ball out of the park, I'm not out because i get two strikes after that.

Seeing Rockstar on a Spidey game could be fun, but the bottom line is that the publishers need to let the developers finish the game. It has little to do with a lack of talent or interest or effort on the part of the developers, it has everything to do with rigidly enforced foolishly selected deadlines.

Really, the only character I want in for sure is Shadowcat. Of course there are many I want to return/join but thats just my number one choice.

I have been hearing that next gen tech can incorporate phasing [possibly] I think its about time.

As for the most likely inclusions, assuming theres no license issues, The Punisher and She-Hulk stand a strong chance.

It's difficult to come up with some moves, if the only ability the character has is to phase through stuff. 1 Move could have here phasing opponents into the ground, making them unable to move. And while being intangible, she should be able to destroy robots and machinery with ease, by simply walking through them.

That's all I can up with. =/

You guys keep saying three times as though they missed the first one. If I'm playing baseball and I hit the first ball out of the park, I'm not out because i get two strikes after that.

Seeing Rockstar on a Spidey game could be fun, but the bottom line is that the publishers need to let the developers finish the game. It has little to do with a lack of talent or interest or effort on the part of the developers, it has everything to do with rigidly enforced foolishly selected deadlines.

1.USM
2. SM3
3. Friend or Foe...That's three under-made spidey games.

If you hit the ball out of the park and then get three more strikes, you're out.

I disagree I think it's both..Lazy developers and foolish deadlines. Why take the time to make spidey roll bounce, and grab ledges when you could be programming better kicks or aerials?

Replace in USM:
1.Take out the insane and medium races and put in more in-game levels.
2. Combat Tours are a cool change of pace, but make it part of the story or at least give some kind of sub-story. We're given a paragraph before each mission about the gang, but then that's it. Why not have some of the story you see with gangs in SM3? Even text would be better than nothing. "Having defeated the..."
3. Have Wolverine do something besides get beat up by Venom.
4. Have the ultimates come after Venom instead of SHIELD..I'd rather have one huge boss fight with like five characters, then fight infinite minions that do the same things.

And so on and so forth....All you'd have to do is input good stuff and the flaws would be forgiven.

In SM2, we forgive graphics because gameplay is fun. We forgive the fact that the game just kind of ends, because it's fun just being spidey. Instead of changing the games we should be improving what is already there. NYC will always be NYC, why change buildings around? Spidey will always be spidey why limit his moves instead of expand them..?

It's difficult to come up with some moves, if the only ability the character has is to phase through stuff. 1 Move could have here phasing opponents into the ground, making them unable to move. And while being intangible, she should be able to destroy robots and machinery with ease, by simply walking through them.

That's all I can up with. =/

-Phase vision? Like in SM3, She'd be able to see through walls and collect tokens or chase bad guys.
- No damage from falling?
-Phase reflects? Like how spidey can dodge bullets, maybe you'd have a similar fight system so that instead of a spider-sense where you dodge, a button will appear above her head and you have to press it and she'd phase through bullets and they'd hit the other enemies?
-If she's "Shadowcat" then we could assume she's still in the X-men so why not add in the ability to call in a summon? If she's up against like 10 enemies at once, she could press a button and maybe in a few seconds (real time..which I guess would be minutes game time), Iceman or someone could appear and take out everyone. This would be especially helpful against bosses..

But for all of this she'd have to be like the second main character... or have her own section of the game or something. Anyway...I gtg so sorry this took so long I was afk

1.USM
2. SM3

If you hit the ball out of the park and then get three more strikes, you're out.

I disagree I think it's both..Lazy developers and foolish deadlines. Why take the time to make spidey roll bounce, and grab ledges when you could be programming better kicks or aerials?

Replace in USM:
1.Take out the insane and medium races and put in more in-game levels.
2. Combat Tours are a cool change of pace, but make it part of the story or at least give some kind of sub-story. We're given a paragraph before each mission about the gang, but then that's it. Why not have some of the story you see with gangs in SM3? Even text would be better than nothing. "Having defeated the..."
3. Have Wolverine do something besides get beat up by Venom.
4. Have the ultimates come after Venom instead of SHIELD..I'd rather have one huge boss fight with like five characters, then fight infinite minions that do the same things.

And so on and so forth....All you'd have to do is input good stuff and the flaws would be forgiven.

In SM2, we forgive graphics because gameplay is fun. We forgive the fact that the game just kind of ends, because it's fun just being spidey. Instead of changing the games we should be improving what is already there. NYC will always be NYC, why change buildings around? Spidey will always be spidey why limit his moves instead of expand them..?
In a nut shell folks well put chinese food. USM and SM3 were mediocre. Hell even SM3 was nominated for biggest letdown. I didnt even bother playing FOF, cuz it looked like crap. You cant tell me that most of the Treyarch developers arent lazy. USM didnt have to reach a certain deadline!!!! But the game still lacked big time. I wish rockstar or the guys that developed Knights of the Old Republic would make a free roaming Spider-Man game.

The closest thing we'll get to another 616 based game is a game based on The Spectacular Spider-Man (the animated series).

Greg Weisman said:
There was a little bit of cherry picking, whether from the movies, or Ultimate or later comic continuity, [but] Ditko/Lee/Romita Sr. were the main influences.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/854/854530p2.html

The models won't be the same we're all used to, nor will the costumes, but it'll be more towards 616 than anything we've gotten in the past seven years. If you don't like that, tough.

To finish off that really stupid argument from before, Activision had 3 chances to get freeroam right, they didn't do it, end of story. That is why I'm pro-no freeroam currently. I don't have much hope that the next one will be any good than any previous ones.

I say that people need to voice these opinions of theirs directly to Activision, I honestly don't think they're gonna be scouring this forum for ideas. If you think your idea is so awesome, then E-MAIL IT TO THEM. If you don't, then I personally don't think you have any right to complain when it's not how you want it when all is said and done.

If you took the SM3 survey but have newer or better ideas, then tell them now while the game is still in development.

Speaking of ideas, since people seemed to ***** so much over my last one, I'll make a free-roam inspired one based off of SM2, the best parts in USM, and the best parts in SM3. I'll post this later when I'm done.

1.USM
2. SM3

In a nut shell folks well put chinese food. USM and SM3 were mediocre. Hell even SM3 was nominated for biggest letdown. I didnt even bother playing FOF, cuz it looked like crap. You cant tell me that most of the Treyarch developers arent lazy. USM didnt have to reach a certain deadline!!!! But the game still lacked big time. I wish rockstar or the guys that developed Knights of the Old Republic would make a free roaming Spider-Man game.

LOL! I don't even count FoF... to me it's a non-game. Heh. Hilarious. So yes, if you count FoF, which I don't since it was not a spiritual successor to SM2, then yes, three strikes. But if you count SM2, that's a home run and an out, meaning that you have two more outs left anyway. Your analogy is flawed, to say the least. You should probably just drop it.

For your information, USM did have to reach a certain deadline, it was pushed out early because the publisher wanted it out at a certain time and wouldn't budge. This stuff has been documented, each time, and was talked about ad naseum on these very forums. In addition to this actual information, you can trace the time from announcement to release and it doesn't take much to realize that it's not nearly enough time to develop a game of the quality that we all want. Your "accusations" of laziness are based on nothing. Your feelings that laziness has to be involved are not based on reality, but on uninformed feelings. Basically, you are imagining things. You are living in a dreamworld as you cling to this baseless assumption.

The improvements you guys have suggested are awesome, your insights into development-publisher relations are foolishness, though. We all can see the problems with the games, but the source has always been the developers being rushed, not being lazy. And to be honest, at this point, the crew from SM2, USM and SM3 are much more equipped, eager, and desirous of making a kick-tail Spider-Man game than Rockstar or Bioware, who have ZERO Spider-Man interest or experience.

Your level of OH MY GOD SERIOUSNESS on this is just ****ing hilarious. I love how you're trying to use big words to confuse the "lesser people".

Wanna know the REAL reason why I stopped arguing? I realized that all arguments on this matter are pointless and ******ed. This is a GAME, nuff said.

I'm through with the arguments on this, I'll just post information from now on (that's a lot more fun). I just had to post this.

Your level of OH MY GOD SERIOUSNESS on this is just ****ing hilarious. I love how you're trying to use big words to confuse the "lesser people".

Wanna know the REAL reason why I stopped arguing? I realized that all arguments on this matter are pointless and ******ed. This is a GAME, nuff said.

I'm through with the arguments on this, I'll just post information from now on (that's a lot more fun). I just had to post this.

I suppose in a way it is pointless. Like you said, we should just go to the companies....Too bad I already did. But not just that, I've found that companies tend not to steal people's ideas as much any more. If I say "put this and this in", they'll make some kind of weird version of it. Like people asked for a camera or 1P view...they gave a crappy camera that didn't even work in SM3...

But I learnt something a while ago...You have to be cool man, don't let anger get to you. I was really upset and to summarize basically let my PMS control my feelings and spazzed on Mentok and a few other people.

Be cool bro...it's just a convo about games. No problemo man..:yay:

if MUA2 is anything like Spider-man FOF i'll cry myself to sleep daily

I suppose in a way it is pointless. Like you said, we should just go to the companies....Too bad I already did. But not just that, I've found that companies tend not to steal people's ideas as much any more. If I say "put this and this in", they'll make some kind of weird version of it. Like people asked for a camera or 1P view...they gave a crappy camera that didn't even work in SM3...

But I learnt something a while ago...You have to be cool man, don't let anger get to you. I was really upset and to summarize basically let my PMS control my feelings and spazzed on Mentok and a few other people.

Be cool bro...it's just a convo about games. No problemo man..:yay:

Yea...if they stole ideas, they'd probably have even better games, imo.

I know I should be cool abnd it's a convo about games, but GL1 is taking this a lil' too seriously (as was I), so the argument started (and we get tat huge post X3).

Spidey shouldn't be like M:UA, it was a suggestion. D: A suggestion no one liked. >_>;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"