Marvel vs. Capcom: A Thread of Two Worlds - Part 7

Played through this yesterday briefly

And holy crap what a disappointment

The character models are, as expected, horrendous. I dont even wanna see the cutscenes in this, which is sad since their pushing this nonsensical story. As others have said, theyre using outdated or wholly made up costumes, and it is just not pretty to look at when not in the middle of a fight. In action it looks fine but yeah, who let liefield work on the character models.

Then theres the roster, which is tremendously disappointing. No wolverine means no purchase for me. He above all others on the marvel side, is the staple of this series. Who else will even play like him? Black Panther I guess?? Lame Marvel, f***in lame.

And finally the actual gameplay. I dont like it. It felt slow and clunky, not like MvC. The simplified button scheme is okay, just as long as a single button combo cant compete with more complex combos. I also miss my third character, i enjoyed making little teams, pairs offer less variety and customization.

All in all, this may be the first ever Marvel/Capcom game i skip

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite’s Tagging System Explained
2 days ago |

1497648144MarvelvCapcomInfiniteTagging.jpg

Not everyone may have liked the story demo released for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. However, that doesn’t mean that the game doesn’t hold its crucial and nice points.
For instance, the gameplay mechanics and nuances for the game have been improved, particularly tagging in an ally of your team. According to EventHubs, this was furher explored at Capcom Unity’s E3 2017 showcase.
The developer gave a quick overview of how tagging in fighters work in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. It’s fairly simple and familiar if you’ve already played fighting games before. But a big difference is that, instead of the usual default action of tagging in and having the fighter run up to the opponent for fluid continuation of the fight, players now have more freedom to choose if this will indeed be their next move.
Capcom’s Peter “Combofiend” Rosas explained that players can now choose their tagged-in fighter’s moves when they get to the arena. Their incoming actions can be controlled by holding a direction so that the run will be cut short, if you think that extra delay would be the difference in your fight’s strategy.
And if you play your cards right, it’s also possible to even launch into a hyper combo, quick attack, or even Infinity Stone activation when your fighter is tagged in. And unlike some other fighting games, where switching characters is limited to a cooldown period to wait out the next possible switch, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite won’t really limit character tag-ins, so tagging in tandem with combos will actually work.
Evolving mechanics in the fighting games arena is something I really like, since those are the games that I prefer to play. And it’s very interesting to see Capcom changing up its mechanics to bring more diverse playstyles into the mix. I’m guessing this is one step to avoid reliance on button mashing and overpowering to win.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite will be out on Sept. 19.

source: http://epicstream.com/
logo.png

Just tried out the demo and I'm very disappointed. I hate the art style. As BoredGuy mentioned, the character models are pretty bad. Everyone is so meaty looking. Captain America has no neck and the story just seems ridiculous and not in a fun way. The cutscenes were uninteresting. But worse, I didn't think the gameplay was very good either. Nothing clicked for me.!

I'm sad to say this because I love all the previous marvel vs capcom games

yeah, the character models seemed a bit off.

like Capt. Marvel looked like some kind of blonde Barbie doll or something.

Anyone get Ultimate MvC 3 for Xbox One or PS4? I got it the other day when I put money down for MvC Infinite.

I had no idea it got re-re-released, and they had added all those new characters like Ghost Rider and Dr Strange.

Anyone get Ultimate MvC 3 for Xbox One or PS4? I got it the other day when I put money down for MvC Infinite.

I had no idea it got re-re-released, and they had added all those new characters like Ghost Rider and Dr Strange.

yep, I got it for the PS4.

with the way Infinite is shaping up, I may end up spending more time with UMvC 3........lol.

really wish they'd rerelease MvC 2, though. that was my favorite.

LOL...yeah you are pretty late. Ultimate added those characters 6 years ago and it was remastered for PS4 last year

yep, I got it for the PS4.

with the way Infinite is shaping up, I may end up spending more time with UMvC 3........lol.

really wish they'd rerelease MvC 2, though. that was my favorite.

Cool, I got it for the Xbox One.

LOL...yeah you are pretty late. Ultimate added those characters 6 years ago and it was remastered for PS4 last year

Yeah, I'm way behind. I had MvC 3 back in 2011 when it first came out, played it for a bit, ended up selling it (and pretty much all of my games) back because of my financial woes at the time, never really got back into video games until recently. I'm super causal when it comes to games.

Yeah, I'm way behind. I had MvC 3 back in 2011 when it first came out, played it for a bit, ended up selling it (and pretty much all of my games) back because of my financial woes at the time, never really got back into video games until recently. I'm super causal when it comes to games.

great! hope you enjoy the game!

3252928-promo_mvci_123.jpg

5 hours, 25 minutes ago

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Devs On Preserving Depth, Picking Characters, And Fixing Chun-Li's Face

Peter 'Combofiend' Rosas and Michael Evans talk about changing the Marvel Vs. Capcom formula and opening the game up to newcomers.Read more

It's Mahvel baby!

on June 23, 2017

At E3 2017 Capcom released a story demo for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite, the latest entry in its crossover fighting game series. This has given fans across the world a very small taste of the new 2v2 fighting system, which is a big departure from what longtime players have come to be used to.
Before E3 and also during it, we talked to associate producer Peter Rosas and producer Michael Evans about the Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite. Below you'll find the amalgamation of two interviews covering a broad range of subjects, from the thinking behind the new format and the emphasis on approachability to narrative ambitions in Story mode and whether Chun-Li's odd-looking face can be fixed.
Peter, you're known to be a professional Marvel player. What do you bring from that background to Marvel Infinite? What are your goals as someone who's seen the competitive side and the development side?
Peter Rosas: So I would say the thing is identity creation, right? Being with the scene for so long, that's one of the key things that I've seen within the scene, that the players there like to play the characters they want to play and develop their own crazy or interesting strategies and really kind of make a name for themselves, really show off their play style, their identity through their team.
With two characters, the ability for that seemed like it was decreasing, so it was like, "Okay. We're going back to partnership. What are we doing here that hasn't been done in any other game?" By opening up the whole switch system, it's just like, there it is. Now it's so open that, even if you have two characters, you'll be able to cement yourself and your identity within that. But then on top of that, once we had the Infinity Stones added, we have that layer that was missing. The Infinity Stones change the dynamic of a team, so you have players who essentially could pick the same two characters but with a different stone in and have a completely different strategy.
There are so many ways to create identity. So that's something that I know the hardcore guys are going to be looking forward to. Also maintaining that Versus series DNA and the integrity of the brand. This game definitely has that high-flying, fast-paced, adrenaline rushing action. It's still there. Players who have been with the series will immediately be able to pick this up and say, "Oh, yes. This is a Marvel game. I can jump around. I can move around as I see fit and still do that."
The other important part of that whole identity thing is making sure that all characters were functional. With the hardcore guys, they're always looking for what's optimal, what would allow them to win the easiest or the most consistently. And sometimes what happens is some characters just end up better than others, or some strategy becomes extremely strong and it just wipes out a lot of the cast. What we wanted to do with this one is make sure that all characters felt viable. All characters felt strong. And whether it was a character design issue or it was an issue [with] a system, we looked at all of that to ensure that the characters felt strong and awesome.
That was really important to me as a person who's been with the series, just to make sure that for the long-haul player, the guy who's going to stick around, that there are options. They can play what they want. They can do what they want. They can essentially create their identity through their play style and [have] it shine pretty brightly.
A lot of the hardcore players are going to be looking at this 2v2 system and the emphasis on approachability, and it might worry them a little bit. Given the attention on the Marvel Universe right now, having that approachability makes sense as it'll help the game be successful. If Marvel was ever going to be a big success on a global scale, this is the time to do it. With that in mind, what would you say to the people that are worried that maybe the 2v2 system loses some of the complexity of MvC?
Peter Rosas: Well, I would tell them that just because the game is more accessible doesn't mean we're sacrificing depth. That's not what we're doing here. We're just making sure that players who are unfamiliar with the Versus series, or unfamiliar with fighting games in general, are able to jump in and have fun. And if they have fun, then they might be interested in sticking around and starting to learn more about the game, their characters, and things like that. The problem with previous entries is that it was a daunting. When you gave a controller to a new player, there was just nowhere to start. They didn't know what to do.
We don't want people to think that there's some prescribed strategy. We want them to just be able to jump in the game, pick their characters, and not have to worry about assist types. We wanted everything to be very easy to understand so players can stick around and keep playing.
That said, due to the level of openness with the switch system and the Infinity Stones, there's some pretty deep stuff there. You can develop some really dastardly strategies, but it really depends on you and how much time you want to put in. I can tell you as a hardcore player that has been with the series for a very long time that there is a ton going on there. I've had the game a lot longer than anyone else and I still feel like I'm just scratching the surface. I like using two characters with one particular stone. But if I change the stone, that whole dynamic is different, even though the characters themselves haven't changed. I'm figuring out different times to switch between the characters, which is now creating new combos, new synergies, and things like that. There's a lot going on.
It's still going to have that Marvel DNA that players who have been with the series will know, expect, and love. But at the same time, we wanted to make sure that players who are unfamiliar with the series, once again, who are brand new to the series can just pick this up and not be intimidated, not say, "Oh, that's a fighting game. That's not for me." Instead they can pick it up and say, "Ah, that was fun. I picked my favorite two characters. I had a ball. Let me stick around. Let me play a few more matches." And ideally, some of those would say, "Oh, I want to compete with these other guys. I want to keep it going."
How much attention have you paid to the readability of the game? That was an issue with Marvel 3. I tried to get some people watching it during EVO and one of the matches was ChrisG, who plays a Morrigan and uses that fireball spam strategy.
Peter Rosas: And there's two [Morrigans].
Yeah, exactly. While introducing the approachability and preserving that complexity, how did you approach making it easier for people without expert knowledge to parse what's happening and understand it?
Peter Rosas: Yeah, fighting games are inherently pretty easy to understand. You have characters, life bars, a timer, and you duke it out until someone is knocked out. The thing that we noticed with, let's say Marvel 3 for instance, is that the game had a lot of visual noise. You had these hyper combos and the screen would transition all crazy, in the background there was s*** being blown up and all kinds of crazy action, and you're like, "Well, who am I keeping track of? And what's going on?" You also had assists, and because you had assist characters who are just jumping in and out of the screen, and you're like, "Wait, who's fighting who?" and "What's doing what?"
So we looked at all of that, and how that's difficult to track for those who are unfamiliar. Because even for players who are familiar, it's hard to track sometimes. And what we did was ... one step was we removed assist types. So what that does is that makes it easier for players who are just trying to jump into battle, they don't have to understand what assist does what. It's just, "Pick a character you like, and another one." By removing that, the flow on the screen is a lot easier to see.
Same thing with a lot the moves: they have visual effects that look amazing thanks to the Unreal Engine 4, but at the same time, they're a lot easier to follow. Hyper combos are still over the top, bombastic, and things like that. But we have now contained where those over-the-top effects appear, so that way everything is bit easier to track. Same thing when you switch characters. They always come in from the side now, so you can always tell when there's a switch happening.
It's just a lot easier and a lot more digestible for players who may be unfamiliar with this game to track. You have characters flying around and doing their thing, and it's over-the-top action with superheroes come to life. But at the same time, you can always tell what's happening now. Whereas before, guys [were] jumping in and out and effects and things like that. It was just like, "Whoa."
There's been a lot of conscious effort put toward a lot of that. The same thing with the readability of life bars and the characters and the gauges. We made sure that all of that is very, very, very easy to digest within the HUD and all that, just to make sure that players who are unfamiliar with it, they can just clearly see what's happening and it feels intuitive. They don't need necessarily somebody to sit there and explain all the little nuances of what's happening and what's on the screen to them.

source:https://www.gamespot.com/

It's a long article you can read the rest atthe site it's self .

There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas:
If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper play styles can be represented with our current roster. The design team has been looking at that very closely. We wanted to make sure that if a legacy character doesn't happen to make the roster this time, that play style would still be represented. That somebody who has associated themselves with Magneto wouldn't be lost coming into this title.

hZqKQVd.gif

So I guess they'll really replace the Legacy characters with new ones, but essentially make them play the same. Like Black Panther will probably be the new Wolverine. And with every replaced character, they'll give us the "But they play the same" excuse. Frick that.

Last edited:
Yeah that's bull$#*+. And I don't agree with him that the 3vs3 was too much for new players cause I was a new player to that style when MvC3 came out and I picked up on it even though I'm not the best at fighting games.

Yea I'm skipping this at launch. Like SFV, I may not even bother at all. This game is shaping up to be a downgrade in every way

We all know that Magneto answer was a load of crap. The real reason is Marvel won't let them use any X-Men. That's the only answer.

Now if he had said people only want Sentinel because of what he's done in previous games, then I wouldn't have so much as batted an eye at it because that would be true for the most part. But Magneto is a long time beloved character in Marvel's history and if he hadn't already been in the series he would have still been requested.

Lmao at modern Marvel fans knowing Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther (who is DLC) before the X-Men. I don't even care about the X-Men, and I know that's BS.

It will take a miracle to get X-Men characters on even DLC at this point.

That answer was so terrible that I will skip the game because of it. I mean I'll play it in 3 years time probably but yeah, what a clueless answer.

hZqKQVd.gif

So I guess they'll really replace the Legacy characters with new ones, but essentially make them play the same. Like Black Panther will probably be the new Wolverine. And with every replaced character, they'll give us the "But they play the same" excuse. Frick that.

are you ******* kiddin me??

I've been playing fighting games since the SF 2 days.

NEVER ONCE have I picked a character based on their "function."

I play these characters because I like the characters. I like their designs, moves, stories, etc. Or, it's because I'm a fan of the character from other media.

If I'm a Magneto fan, I want to play as freakin Magneto, not Nova or someone who "plays" similar.

I get that not every character is going to return or make it in.

But c'mon, that's such a clueless, tone deaf answer. These characters are more than their "function."

:whatever:

It pains me to admit that I'll probably be skipping this for a big while, too.
Not just because of the roster, but the gameplay isn't looking very fun, either. I was a big fan of all that craziness on screen that they mentioned in the interview.

So, I haven't been following this closely, so I am probably late to this, but after playing the demo I can't help but say Goddamn at some of these character models. I about fell out of my seat when Captain America came on the screen. Some aren't that bad, but oh my God, what the bad place happened between MvC3 and this ****.

Since characters are ultimately just functions.

Ultimate Function vs. Function 3

[YT]WRHi9oyMXqE[/YT]​

I was already planning on not getting the game because of the X-men's exclusion, but that answer solidified my position. Luckily for me, the game doesnt even look very good. And I enjoyed MvC3 quite a bit.

I really miss the Mutant Academy days.

I was already planning on not getting the game because of the X-men's exclusion, but that answer solidified my position. Luckily for me, the game doesnt even look very good. And I enjoyed MvC3 quite a bit.

I really miss the Mutant Academy days.

Mutant Academy 2 was everything!!! Great Roster, alternate costumes and hidden not dlc characters (Spider-Man & prof.X)!

Xbox one here too, hit me up for some matches if you're online, vanvogel is my gamertag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"