Marvel Films MCU Phase IV!

The announcements this past Summer along with Shang-Chi has me thinking about phase 4 again.

Here are some past thoughts I've had about phase 4 and what it may or may not shape up to be before all this news broke about Eternals and Black Widow appearing in 2020 and Gaurdians being cancelled and now more recent announcements... Taking back speculations in context with this new info. has me wondering now...:yay:

All Possibilities as of March 2018 (still relevant now as takes all past franchises into account):
MCU Phase IV!I posted some ideas in other threads for new movies but here's quick run-down as I see it of movies most likely going to happen based on currently ongoing franchises...

Sequels to Still Fresh Franchises:
Gaurdians 3, Antman/Wasp 3, Dr. Strange 2, Spiderman 2 and 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2

Tally Above: 7 Movies

Expired Franchises
Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Avengers (Avengers movie title being tweaked subtly most likely but this franchise continuing is a certainty)

Tally Above: 5 Possibilities

Question: Will there be any direct follow-up? (For example Iron Man 4 starring Robert Downey Jr.) If not, how can each franchise most likely be spun-off into another property or simply re-titled in some fashion?

Reported New Franchises:
Black Widow

Tally Above: 1
*While establishing new franchise, it should be noted this is moreso simply taking a supporting character seen in previous movies and expanding.

Overall, taking into account the 3 categories above (as well as questions posed above as well) too many movies to really develop anything new especially when consider X-Men and FF movies will most likely be added into mix early to mid-2020's.

The question moreso will become what other properties may be used as a vehicle to steer away from an expired franchise while going into something semi-similar but new. This will be Marvel's go-to system I'm guessing.

May 2018 Post Avengers 4 Date Guessing:
MCU Phase IV!If I just had to throw out a wild guess:
2020: Gaurdians 3 (old and new gaurdians teams combine; introduction of Adam Warlock); Black Widow (can see in a way replacing Captain America franchise just w/more spy/subterfuge; a new female driven movie w/political overtones perhaps infused); Ant Man 3: The Originals (perhaps introduces FF as microverse seems to have replaced negative zone starring classic Pym and Janet from the 60's or 70's)

*Picked Ant-Man as supporting actor recently made comment on film perhaps being fast-tracked, Donald Cumberlach's insistence on equal pay along with recent comments maybe not a Strange 2, and Feigi giving a comment on "strange" sequel ambivalently. Other than that, I think Black Panther 2 may take a while to come together and the Antman crew sort of geared towards knocking another one out sooner rather than later it seems.
If X-Men and/or FF properties appear in 2023 very possible Ant-Man gets nixed in favor or Strange or Eternals as 3rd movie but for now will just leave it.

2021: Dr. Strange Team-Up film (establishing an "Infinity Watch" or "Illuminati" or "Defenders" fallout from Avengers 4); Black Panther 2; Eternals (guest starring Thor; provides basis for history of Marvel Universe)

2022: Captain Marvel 2; Homecoming 3 (Spiderman and Freinds); Fantastic Four (like the thought of First Family having been displaced in time somehow arriving in a time altered present after mysteriously vanishing after a certain event maybe the one in which they got their powers? Can meet up with an aged Pym and Janet whom they once knew.)
*I think I remember reading Kevin Feigi recently having a sit-down to plan-out/discuss movies in far future recently. I'll bet they're trying to figure how to shift the FF and X-Men into production.

2023:Cosmic Property Replacing Gaurdians Franchise; Black Widow 2; Avengers/X-Men: Secret Wars (some eternals, strange's Team, and X-Men all meet)

Above could be totally wrong and am re-thinking the order as I write this. Anyway, I like thinking possibilities outlined below.

July 2018: Fox Movies Insertion Shuffles What??? (I've kind of changed my mind on this last post with more recent news but will add what's below regardless):
MCU Phase IV!This is what I think may be possible and am not saying it's necessarily good.

Cosmic Movie DownGrade: This will presumably open the doorway towards pushing an FF or X-Men movie out sooner and remove a lot of the cosmic side plans for the Marvel Universe Phase 4. This probably would've happened to some extent anyway but now it seems likely Marvel will want to shift focus directly on these properties moreso now.

Gaurdians 3?: The 3rd Guardians film is up in the air at this point. Commitment depends I suppose on how much work presumably has taken place to prep for shooting. If actual sets have been built then it'll probably be a production delay by 1-5 months but of course could be longer if actors schedules aren't cleared. If sets haven't been built or prep fees at more of a minimum then expect a full extra year of getting things together again that may or may not yield something that comes to fruition. In other words, a slow segue until fans will be distracted more by X-Men or FF and forget about this.

2020: Marvel will take the simple approach on this. If only 2 movies available then only 2 movies available.

Humor Makeover: Some of the humor in the Marvel movies I can also see being given a critical makeover as well just to err on the side of caution.

December 2018:
If I were to insert all the current news with the format listed in my earliest post on this in March as quoted above, I think it's easy to see that there'll most likely be 4 movies a year if Marvel Studio's keeps adding new franchises without necessarily ending older ones at the rate that's expected.

2021 I think will bring the schedule to 4 films with the announcement of Shang-Chi. If Marvel Studio's experiments with movies for different platforms other than theatrical release or more narrower demographic based films with lower budget, perhaps 4 movies per year for multiple years in a row will become a reality.

Last edited:
2020 - Black Widow, Eternals
2021 - Black Panther 2, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange 2
2022 - Captain Marvel 2, , Ant-Man 3 (+Spider-man 3)

?

I can see 4 films a year as well. I don’t know when they are going to pull the trigger on it, but I think it’s gonna happen. I don’t even think it may be 4 every year, but I can see at least 3 one year, 4 the next, 2-3, that year and then 4 again, etc.

I just don't see 2023 arriving and a F4 or X-Men flick isn't on the Phase 4 slate. Call me crazy, but I bet they both pop up at the end of phase 4.

Just for fun I'll make some guesses as well. If I'm wrong its all in fun anyway.

I know in a few cases, Marvel may not have a Marvel slot currently listed on the calendar, but I think Disney would still make it happen.

Phase 4

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Black Widow
Eternals

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3

Shang-Chi
Dr. Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Ant-man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Fantastic Four

X-Men
Avengers 5/New Avengers
(Spider-man Homecoming 3 same year, but start of phase 5)

Italics notes a new film series

I can see 4 films a year as well. I don’t know when they are going to pull the trigger on it, but I think it’s gonna happen. I don’t even think it may be 4 every year, but I can see at least 3 one year, 4 the next, 2-3, that year and then 4 again, etc.

The hypothetical 4th movie will likely be produced by 20th Century Fox under Marvel Studios they would just be using the Fox studio resources. Fox Marvel wouldn't be developing it Feige and his team would. And will probably alternate between Fantastic Four and X-Men. Honestly with the addition of Fox they have more than enough resources to produce even 2 extra marvel movies a year moving to a hypothetical six movies a year the question is do they want to risk oversaturating the market.

I just don't see 2023 arriving and a F4 or X-Men flick isn't on the Phase 4 slate. Call me crazy, but I bet they both pop up at the end of phase 4.

Just for fun I'll make some guesses as well. If I'm wrong its all in fun anyway.

I know in a few cases, Marvel may not have a Marvel slot currently listed on the calendar, but I think Disney would still make it happen.

Phase 4

Black Widow
Eternals

Shang-Chi
Dr. Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Ant-man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Fantastic Four

X-Men
Avengers 5/New Avengers

I can't see Guardians 3 making Phase IV or at the very least I can't see it happening for 2020 given Gunn's dismissal but also all the drama and hoopla that has gone on behind the scenes with it being delayed

I can see Shang-Chi replacing GOTG Vol 3 in that 2020 slate

2021 I can see it being only 2 films in that slate that being Dr Strange 2 and BP2

2022 I can see it also being Ant Man 3, Captain Marvel 2 and Fantastic Four as well

2023 for the MCU X-Men joining this slate I can actually get behind and Avengers 5 also happening for 2023 as well but I can see them being the only 2 films in this year

They are going to go ahead without Gunn. I don’t see them sitting on the script.

That’s the fun in this though,, guessing what’s gonna happen.

Phase 4

Black Widow
Eternals

Shang-Chi
Dr. Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Ant-man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Fantastic Four

X-Men
Avengers 5/New Avengers

GOTG 3 is going to be further away after being put on hold,

Eternals and Doctor Strange 2 are pretty much certs for the November slots in 2020-2021 though which way round is anyone's guess. Maybe BP2 will get the prime slot in 2021 and Shang Chi will get the early one?

X-Men definitely aren't going to be getting an MCU film so soon and I'd be surprised if FF did either though if any of Foxes properties are to be hinted at in the near future i think the FF are more likely than mutants.

If 2023 really did have the first MCU X-Men film as well as the first Avengers film since Endgame, then it truly would be a monster year.

GotG I doubt will be on hold as long as people think it will be, and I don’t think people are going to be waiting long for X-Men either.

We will see. :up:

I don't expect to see the X-Men movie in Phase IV at all. They'll want to give people a breather to put the Fox version behind them, imo, and also to give them a proper setup.

Phase 4

Black Widow
Eternals

Shang-Chi
Dr. Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Ant-man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Fantastic Four

X-Men
Avengers 5/New Avengers

This looks about right 'til the end there, and I'm also not sure GotG3 will make it out that quickly, while I think BP2 might get the late 2020 slot, because when Coogler signed back on, reports said they were aiming to start shooting late next year. Here's what I'm imagining:

Spider-Man: Far from Home

Black Widow
Eternals

Black Panther 2

Shang-Chi
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Doctor Strange 2

Ant-Man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Spider-Man 3

Ms. Marvel (I think she'll be set up in Captain Marvel 2)
Avengers 5/New Avengers
(Whatever this Avengers movie is, I expect it to set up either X-Men or Fantastic Four, and they will use them to kick off Phase V)

Phase 4

Black Widow
Eternals

Shang-Chi
Dr. Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Ant-man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Fantastic Four

X-Men
Avengers 5/New Avengers

I think as you've done, they'll stick to giving us one new film every year. So Shang-Chi and Eternals for sure and I also expect Nova. Then maybe F4 helps cap Phase 4 by being introduced/referenced in the New Avengers film (which will otherwise be down to a more sensible number of characters), before getting a full blown launch at the beginning of Phase 5. I also expect the issue of mutants to be popping up with cameos in various different films way ahead of a main X-Men film.

I don't expect to see the X-Men movie in Phase IV at all. They'll want to give people a breather to put the Fox version behind them, imo, and also to give them a proper setup.

This looks about right 'til the end there, and I'm also not sure GotG3 will make it out that quickly, while I think BP2 might get the late 2020 slot, because when Coogler signed back on, reports said they were aiming to start shooting late next year. Here's what I'm imagining:

Spider-Man: Far from Home

Black Widow
Eternals

Black Panther 2

Shang-Chi
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Doctor Strange 2

Ant-Man 3
Captain Marvel 2
Spider-Man 3

Ms. Marvel (I think she'll be set up in Captain Marvel 2)
Avengers 5/New Avengers
(Whatever this Avengers movie is, I expect it to set up either X-Men or Fantastic Four, and they will use them to kick off Phase V)
That looks good. I think the F4 movie will come before the X-Men movies but they will take more steps to build up X-Mem with mutant cameos in different films. So Phase 5 can launch with a F4 team film, and then have more mutant cameos and then an X-film by the end of it. Things could be a lot quicker if they moved to 4 films a year early though.

I think as you've done, they'll stick to giving us one new film every year. So Shang-Chi and Eternals for sure and I also expect Nova. Then maybe F4 helps cap Phase 4 by being introduced/referenced in the New Avengers film (which will otherwise be down to a more sensible number of characters), before getting a full blown launch at the beginning of Phase 5. I also expect the issue of mutants to be popping up with cameos in various different films way ahead of a main X-Men film.

I do hope they do Nova soon, I really love that character.

I do hope they do Nova soon, I really love that character.
They’ve expressed an interest in the cosmic side and I think Nova will be near the top of the list for a new cosmic solo character.

I wonder how Shang Chi would fit into the MCU. He's the master of kung fu but I wonder is he considered a super hero if it makes sense.

anaKVbR.jpg

I mean... he is more popular than the Eternals and Shang-Chi, after all.

I wonder how Shang Chi would fit into the MCU. He's the master of kung fu but I wonder is he considered a super hero if it makes sense.

Black Widow is getting a movie supposedly so I have no problem with Shang Chi getting one. I used to read his book (the random issues my brother had) back in the day so I'm interested in seeing what they do with him. Though it does kind of suck that marvel has developed so few Asian characters over the years to where a kung fu guy would be the first Asian hero they'd give a solo film to.

As for him being a superhero, I read somewhere that recently in the comics they've given him the power to duplicate himself. It's possible that is an element they use in the movie.

I would LOVE to see McKay take over GOTG. A Nova film would also be cool.

Black Widow is getting a movie supposedly so I have no problem with Shang Chi getting one. I used to read his book (the random issues my brother had) back in the day so I'm interested in seeing what they do with him. Though it does kind of suck that marvel has developed so few Asian characters over the years to where a kung fu guy would be the first Asian hero they'd give a solo film to.

As for him being a superhero, I read somewhere that recently in the comics they've given him the power to duplicate himself. It's possible that is an element they use in the movie.
Just make his kung fu crazy and super-fast so he looks like a super hero. I don’t think it’s going to be just regular martial arts film level kung fu.

Get Stephen Chow up in there for Shang Chi. He'll know how to make a Kung-fu movie with an extra emphasis on the 'superhero' that everyone desires. Lol.

Here's an updated list of all possibilities from what I can tell at the moment.:yay:

Gaurdians 3, Dr. Strange 2, Antman/Wasp 3, Spiderman 2 and 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2

Question: Will any of these above movies be morphed into something else similar to what Captain America 3 was?

My Guess: I have a hunch about Dr. Strange heading a team-up film posted about here What do you want to see in a sequel? becoming or perhaps instead leading into a film like the Defenders or Infinity Watch that can continue directly off of Infinity War while taking the place of the Gaurdians films after Gaurdians of the Galaxy 3 (the title to Avengers 4 and Dr. Strange's role make me think this).
There's also the Ant-Man film segueing in the Fantastic Four I see as a possibility I posted about here: How should the MCU handle FF villains? that I think is possible
Expired Franchises:
Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Avengers

Question: Will there be any direct follow-up? (For example Iron Man 4 starring Robert Downey Jr.) If not, how can each franchise most likely be spun-off into another property or simply re-titled in some fashion?

My Guess: I think Avengers for sure will continue even if it is re-fashioned somehow. A Secret Wars type crossover to introduce the X-Men has been something the Russos seem to be keen on.
There's also maybe Marvel studios utilizing one of those scripts they bought off the black list like Dark Avengers or even the Iron Heart one if they decide to build a Young Avengers even further out as opposed to just re-booting all the core characters over again... Scott Lang's daughter seems to be getting some attention as well so who knows maybe she'll try and continue her dad's legacy in some far out point too (scenes featuring her and Scott Lang were the Plan B if Marvel was unable to utilize Spiderman in civil war I've read).

Reported New Franchises (put asterisk next to ones can just safely assume will start production next 3-4 years despite being unreported):
Black Widow
Eternals
Shang-Chi
Nova
*FF
*X-Men

Tally Above: 6

Question: What is considered a new franchise as opposed to taking an existing one and simply utilizing a supporting character seen in previous movies and expanding?

Last edited:
Here's an updated list of all possibilities from what I can tell at the moment.:yay:

Gaurdians 3, Dr. Strange 2, Antman/Wasp 3, Spiderman 2 and 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2

Question: Will any of these above movies be morphed into something else similar to what Captain America 3 was?

My Guess: I have a hunch about Dr. Strange heading a team-up film posted about here What do you want to see in a sequel? becoming or perhaps instead leading into a film like the Defenders or Infinity Watch that can continue directly off of Infinity War while taking the place of the Gaurdians films after Gaurdians of the Galaxy 3 (the title to Avengers 4 and Dr. Strange's role make me think this).
There's also the Ant-Man film segueing in the Fantastic Four I see as a possibility I posted about here: How should the MCU handle FF villains? that I think is possible
Expired Franchises:
Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Avengers

My Guess: I think Avengers for sure will continue even if it is re-fashioned somehow. A Secret Wars type crossover to introduce the X-Men has been something the Russos seem to be keen on.
There's also maybe Marvel studios utilizing one of those scripts they bought off the black list like Dark Avengers or even the Iron Heart one if they decide to build a Young Avengers even further out as opposed to just re-booting all the core characters over again... Scott Lang's daughter seems to be getting some attention as well so who knows maybe she'll try and continue her dad's legacy in some far out point too.

Reported New Franchises (put asterisk next to ones can just safely assume will start production next 3-4 years despite being unreported):
Black Widow
Eternals
Shang-Chi
Nova
*FF
*X-Men

Tally Above: 6

Question: What is considered a new franchise as opposed to taking an existing one and simply utilizing a supporting character seen in previous movies and expanding?
I like the way you present your ideas. Helps build my excitement for the future :up:

There have been suggestions of Guardians including Thor if he isn't getting another solo (although there seems to be demand for that after his Ragnarok transformation).

Avengers I'm sure, as you said, will carry on in some form. There's just too much money in it. Even a mixed reception film makes $1.4B. It shows that the first film's returns weren't a fluke. Either Dark Avengers or Young Avengers could be included in potential plans. Even if they aren't, I expect the new heroes taking the MCU forward to form their own New Avengers anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"