MCU X-Men - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure MCU Spider-Man being a 27 year old High-school professor could have easily been explained with a sentence or two. That doesn't mean there wouldn't be countless plot holes; countless articles and blogs trying to the tackle the question of how and why a Spider-Man has existed so long without the public knowing about him. (And the X-Men are not grounded street level heroes like Spidey. They are MUCH larger scale) Same goes for pretty much every MCU hero which is why nobody starts their franchise as seasoned veterans. Marvel starting the X-Men as 30 yo veterans in their first film of a decade and a half long franchise is something that would be unprecedented; that's not how they tell their stories.
Not all the characters have to be the same age. I want the core cast to be late teens early 20s, but characters like Beast, Storm, and Wolverine can all be older and it won't hurt anything. Their personalities are simply better suited for older actors IMO

Agreed with all of that regarding Storm.

As far as casting goes Marvel will Not cast someone outside their 20s early 30s which is why I think someone like Kylie Bunbury she actually has a regal quality beyond her years:

b3oc3o.jpg
I LOVE Kylie. Loved her since PITCH. If not for Storm, I really hope they get her in the game playing a superhero somewhere.

Its like talking to a brick wall. He's committed to shutting down any theories or explanations for how things could work

First, I'm not a he.
Second, a good writer is going to produce writing inferior to their usual if they're boxed in with demands like "write about actors in their 30s whose characters have had extreme powers since age 15 and never participated in the big events of this pre-established world." Your demands would do nothing but hurt the writer.

Not all the characters have to be the same age. I want the core cast to be late teens early 20s, but characters like Beast, Storm, and Wolverine can all be older and it won't hurt anything. Their personalities are simply better suited for older actors IMO
Wolverine should definitely be older and I'm fine with Beast being older too but I consider Storm a part of the X-Men trinity - Scott, Jean and Ororo. They have the strongest bond, especially Storm and Jean. I'd rather see Storm develop into the badass leader she became in the comics.

First, I'm not a he.
Second, a good writer is going to produce writing inferior to their usual if they're boxed in with demands like "write about actors in their 30s whose characters have had extreme powers since age 15 and never participated in the big events of this pre-established world." Your demands would do nothing but hurt the writer.

Thats your opinion that the films would be inferior if they dont use teenage characters. You are committed to not seeing another vision and hence discussing this with you has been futile. You read like a broken record, quick to jump on any and every post in here that doesnt line up exactly with how you see things panning out. You dont need to be a Debbie Downer and shut down down all ideas that could make sense of things. You just joined this site a few months ago and Id wager 75% of your contribution to this thread has been just that. It gets exhausting trying to theorize and speculate on thnigs only to know you are waiting in the wings to be like

source.gif

First, I'm not a he.

Yikes, you're in a comic book forum, but I'm guessing you hate comic books if you require this much explanation for every little aspect. "This is ridiculous, why isn't Superman just helping Batman catch the Joker right now? The fight would be over in two seconds, story ruined. So unrealistic." It's called suspension of disbelief. It's very useful when it comes to enjoying these stories! No worries, Marvel assuredly already has a plan in place to explain where all the mutants have been. Have faith.

All of those movies are written with demands. It's naive to believe the writers have full creative control to do whatever they want with huge budget movies. The Studio will hire the best writers/directors for their demand. And a good writer will make it work.

All of those movies are written with demands. It's naive to believe the writers have full creative control to do whatever they want with huge budget movies. The Studio will hire the best writers/directors for their demand. And a good writer will make it work.

If anything it's likely the execs demand that the films have a younger cast. They'll be looking to differentiate from the older cast of the Fox series, and they'll be wanting to raise a new crop of actors who can carry the MCU brand for the next couple of decades.

What exactly would an older cast bring to the MCU?

If anything it's likely the execs demand that the films have a younger cast. They'll be looking to differentiate from the older cast of the Fox series, and they'll be wanting to raise a new crop of actors who can carry the MCU brand for the next couple of decades.

They wouldnt be differentiating themselves from Fox bc Fox has done both old and young. They ran the gamut in terms of ages for these characters.

They wouldnt be differentiating themselves from Fox bc Fox has done both old and young. They ran the gamut in terms of ages for these characters.

I disagree. Even the newer films have primarily focused on McAvoy, Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence, who whilst young, is far from a teenager now. The students have always played second fiddle to the teachers in the Fox movies, whereas the MCU films could focus on a class of teenagers/young adults (16-21), with Xavier as their mysterious mentor. Kind of a Harry Potter vibe but with mutant powers instead of wizards.

Exactly. If they build a profitable series on an ensemble of young actors, they could stick around for 17+ years without any one of them getting it into their head that they're the star and demanding unsustainable money like Downey.

Kind of a Harry Potter vibe but with mutant powers instead of wizards.

And the Harry Potter wish fulfillment formula was much more successful than Fox's X-Men, which rarely played up how cool it would be to be an adolescent blessed with superpowers that make life dangerous and tinged with bigotry.

Last edited:
Harry Potter-izing the X-Men would be AWESOME :woot: imagine seeing these kids start the series being naive wanting to make a difference and show the world mutants can be a force for good - only to end the first trilogy as seasoned veterans realizing that humanity will always hate them for being different no matter but they will always fight for what's right. Could be very powerful

Harry Potter-izing the X-Men would be AWESOME :woot: imagine seeing these kids start the series being naive wanting to make a difference and show the world mutants can be a force for good - only to end the first trilogy as seasoned veterans realizing that humanity will always hate them for being different no matter but they will always fight for what's right. Could be very powerful

Scott: Remember when aliens invaded New York. I want us to be the heroes badass enough to stop the next aliens!
Erik: And what did that get them? An international law to be drafted or never use their powers again. And once they have us registered, what's to stop them from sending us to a concentration camp out of fear of our excellence?
Scott: No! Doing right always works out in the end!

YEARS LATER
Scott: Eh...

Huh, so I guess I just figured out how to tie dealing with aliens into the central theme of X-Men.

Scott: Remember when aliens invaded New York. I want us to be the heroes badass enough to stop the next aliens!
Erik: And what did that get them? An international law to be drafted or never use their powers again. And once they have us registered, what's to stop them from sending us to a concentration camp out of fear of our excellence?
Scott: No! Doing right always works out in the end!

YEARS LATER
Scott: Eh...
Erik: I tried to warn you, child. Mankind will never accept us.

Scott: You know what, Erik? You were right. Humans by nature are violent, cruel creatures. No matter what we do, it will never be enough. People will always fear and hate us. BUT - There is good and bad in all of us, mutants and humans alike. And there are good people out there. What differentiates us from you is that we will never give in to the hatred; we will rise above it and always fight for what's right. No matter the cost.

I could see some mutants who were good at the beginning of the trilogy becoming members of the brotherhood in the end after seeing the world as it really is.

If Elizabeth Olsen re-ups her contract in the next few years, I could definitely see Scarlet Witch joining the X-men franchise and slowly deciding that Magneto is right and joining the brotherhood. Skips over the familial relationship, which would be convoluted to introduce at this late juncture, but still creates a connection between Wanda and Erik.

If Elizabeth Olsen re-ups her contract in the next few years, I could definitely see Scarlet Witch joining the X-men franchise and slowly deciding that Magneto is right and joining the brotherhood. Skips over the familial relationship, which would be convoluted to introduce at this late juncture, but still creates a connection between Wanda and Erik.

:ilv:
I'm torn on whether I want the first class to be Rogue + the O5 with Storm as a superior replacement for Warren, or drop Iceman too in favor of Gambit.
Introducing Remy at the same time as Rogue gives you more time to develop as a man and in a relationship with Rogue, both of them keeping the audience on their toes as to when they'll work with a Brotherhood-like group.
OTOH, Iceman could be a Latino (Roberto Drake) and double-dip diversity. Normally I'd say go with the more dynamic character over diversity, but with Marvel Mutants it's a matter of verisimilitude.

:ilv:
I'm torn on whether I want the first class to be Rogue + the O5 with Storm as a superior replacement for Warren, or drop Iceman too in favor of Gambit.
Introducing Remy at the same time as Rogue gives you more time to develop as a man and in a relationship with Rogue, both of them keeping the audience on their toes as to when they'll work with a Brotherhood-like group.
OTOH, Iceman could be a Latino (Roberto Drake) and double-dip diversity. Normally I'd say go with the more dynamic character over diversity, but with Marvel Mutants it's a matter of verisimilitude.

I'd go with a trimmed and modified version of the Giant Size X-men team.

Xavier
Storm
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Thunderbird
Sunpyre
Siryn

Swap out Sunfire and Banshee for their female counterparts, maybe cast a black actor as Xavier, and you have a team which is both diverse, but also harkens back to one of the more classic lineups. It's not the original team, but the Giant Size lineup was the first real push for a diverse and multi-national team, arguably more true to what has become the spirit of the franchise than the original team of five white men and a lone white woman. so a modern reinterpretation of that makes sense to me.

Have Xavier as the mysterious mentor, Storm as his deputy - preestablished in the Black Panther movies - and then the rest would be Xavier's first class and the focus of the film.

You gotta have Rogue, either before or because a Captain Marvel sequel screenwriter does it.

You gotta have Rogue, either before or because a Captain Marvel sequel screenwriter does it.

The great thing with the X-men franchise in the MCU, is that other franchises can include mutants as well. It's an easy way to introduce new superpowered characters without needing too much explanation. Rogue could be introduced in a Captain Marvel film and later join the X-men.

Additionally, Rogue was the pov character for the first Foxmen films. Obviously, that was a long time ago, but X1 and 2 are still cherished classics. When introducing mutants to the MCU, Marvel should try to differentiate things as much as possible.

Can someone give me a reason why people want storm to hook up with BP so bad? I never saw appeal. If you want it, than more power to you and I'm not trying to diss you, but I would like explanation is all. I actually liked Nakia in the BP and I don't want to see Nakia be taken out of the picture just because people want Storm. If it's a necessity for her to be in a relationship Why can't she be with another person like maybe Heilmdall or something?

I'd go with a trimmed and modified version of the Giant Size X-men team.

Xavier
Storm
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Thunderbird
Sunpyre
Siryn

Swap out Sunfire and Banshee for their female counterparts, maybe cast a black actor as Xavier, and you have a team which is both diverse, but also harkens back to one of the more classic lineups. It's not the original team, but the Giant Size lineup was the first real push for a diverse and multi-national team, arguably more true to what has become the spirit of the franchise than the original team of five white men and a lone white woman. so a modern reinterpretation of that makes sense to me.

Have Xavier as the mysterious mentor, Storm as his deputy - preestablished in the Black Panther movies - and then the rest would be Xavier's first class and the focus of the film.
I dig this lineup and idea :up: (minus the race swap for Charles) and i'd replace Nightcrawler with Bobby/Iceman

Funny enough, I think all of Storm's possible-future babies are with Wolverine. Claremont even wrote NeXt while she was married to T'Challa and Becka Munroe had Wolverine powers and never lived in Wakanda, with the only nod to the canon ship being not naming her father.

Can someone give me a reason why people want storm to hook up with BP so bad? I never saw appeal. If you want it, than more power to you and I'm not trying to diss you, but I would like explanation is all. I actually liked Nakia in the BP and I don't want to see Nakia be taken out of the picture just because people want Storm. If it's a necessity for her to be in a relationship Why can't she be with another person like maybe Heilmdall or something?

I don't necessarily want Storm to hook up with BP (though I'd have no issue with it.) Primarily I just want her to play a major role in future Black Panther films. This serves a couple of purposes. It deepens the mythology of Storm's character - she should have this regal and mystical presence which I think is served better by introducing her as a Wakandan weather goddess than as just another student. It would give the MCU Xmen films a bit of seeding and set-up - show us mutants in other films before going whole-hog. And it also establishes mutants as an MCU-wide phenomenon, not just relegated to their own little X-men bubble. Having Storm appear in Black Panther and then the X-men films is exactly the kind of fun crossover that the MCU thrives on.

On that note, I think it would be amazing if the X-Men start from the beginning and last so long that we got to see their children as natural children, not clones from the future.
Remember how Fox started with 33-35 year-old X-Men and then trying to tell the story from the beginning led to errors like Warrens and Jubilees far enough apart in time to be parent and child? :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"