MCU X-Men - Part 4

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Aug 12, 2018.

1. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan Registered

That's an interesting suggestion. However, I still think Saoirse Ronan is the perfect pick for Jean. I'm not even a big Jean-fan and I'd be perfectly happy to have Jean as the film's main protagonist if she was played by someone of Ronan's talent and screen presence.

My pick for Emma Frost would be Sarah Gadon.

Marvel united and Iceman like this.
  2. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I’d prefer her as Jean.

3. Lip

Lip Registered

I don't see any reason to make Psylocke caucasian. She should be asian.

Also, I'd like to see a black woman or a latina playing Emma.

4. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

5. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Gadon seems like a fine enough choice. It's hard for me to care much about Emma's casting. The writing is what makes her character. As long as the actress seems suitably plastic, problem solved.

I honestly like her dying origin story, I think it's cool as hell and makes the character much more interesting than random Asian chick... it also explains why she's a ninja and the sister of Captain Britain. Also note the live action psylockes don't have this wrinkle and I'm not sure they're better for it or that there is an alternate background of Psylocke that could be made that is as interesting and rife for storytelling as the one in comics.

And while I'm all for race swapping, growing up not having to question her privilege is kind of a huge part of who Emma Frost is. That seems like it loses something.

I read this, and I really want to shoot whoever titled this. The so called insider is saying that the guy who doesn't want X-Men solos is going to be disappointed in what happens with Wolverine... this is, by any account good for Wolverine. *shrug*

6. Marvel united

Her origin would be too controversial to do in a movie. I don't see any way to do it. The only I could see it working is if you made Betsy asian. If you have to have a connection to Captain Britain, make them adopted brother and sister. That way you avoid another GITS backlash.

Regarding the "insider". He said Feige's plans are not good for Wolverine.

He also said there will be new X-Men used for more diversity. Feige wants the X-Men to look like the cast of Homecoming which wouldn't be really surprising. I think a much more diverse cast is an Inevitability

7. Iceman

I can’t see Feige allowing Cyke to be stuffed up this time. I’m very optimistic on both Cyclops and Storm this time around, and am hopeful they are eventually co-leaders.

8. Iceman

It’s a great sign of how they view these kinds of characters and proof that they can deal with them well.

9. Iceman

Stan knows best. He always knows the right things to say in these situations :up::cwink:

EnDz0n3 likes this.
  10. Frankeh

Frankeh Registered

Sounds like someone who just stole ideas from this very thread, and can’t even distinguish between your and you’re. I don’t buy it.

11. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Honestly, you could make British Betsy anything other than White, and it would work. Brian could be adopted, or, if you really wanna have fun, he could be, say, South Asian as well.

Where did the insider say "Feige's plans are not good for Wolverine" because I remember being very upset with the article for misquoting the self proclaimed insider. Edit: Read the actual Reddit they're quoting and tell me if they were right to say that:

12. Marvel united

Made this based on some Scarlet Witch concept art. Saoirse as Jean
    IMG_2r2i4r.jpg

13. Frankeh

Frankeh Registered

I think Saoirse might consider herself above this now. She reportedly auditioned for Star Wars, Avengers, X-Men Apocalypse and didn’t get the parts, now she’s high in demand for prestige movies. She’d be a huge get no doubt, but I can see her passing on it.

Elle Fanning, another also-ran for X-Men Apocalypse, could happen though. Both of these actresses have imo proved themselves more than Turner so it’s a bit shocking they lost the role (iirc it was because of GOT popularity), but it might have just worked out for the best tbh because now they’re available for the MCU.

14. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

Saoirse is an excellent actress, but she doesn't have any huge blockbusters. Brie Larson, who won the Oscar for Room, got Captain Marvel's role, and I don't think Saoirse will pass on a chance to appear in MCU, unless she doesn't like to commit to multiple pictures.

15. Marvel united

Fanning would be another really good choice. They even did concept art with her as Jean
    88821120160906083238.jpg

Herofan likes this.
  16. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

that don't look so good
    maybe its just the art, but she doesn't have the coloring to be a redhead-- tho it could just be that ugly Farrah Fawcett hair lol

Saiorse would be great, but I agree she has probably said 'f**k it' to superhero films at this point
    but then again.. Disney got a lotta cash

#2966 BoredGuy, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  17. Marvel united

Ehh, I think she looks fine as a redhead
    large-1.jpg
    Plus she's starring in Maleficent so she's got one foot in the door already to audition for the role.

Saoirse, I don't think is out of Marvel's reach yet. There were reports that she was Whedon's first choice for Wanda and then she said she would love to be in it. Later on, it was rumored that she "turned down" the role of Scarlet Witch in 2013... Then she auditioned for Jean in 2015 and was one of the finalists (along with Elle Fanning, Hailee Steinfeld and Sophie Turner). So the Interest is there. The only question is: would she want to sign an 8-movie contract?

Iceman likes this.
  18. Iceman

I hope it works out with her eventually.

Marvel united likes this.
  19. Kuwolski

Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

What are prestige movies? Films that require you to wear more designer dresses for award shows then people who actually saw your film in theaters. :o

20. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

okay she does look better without the feathered hair, tho she's still a bit pasty lol
    I never pictured Jean as a full on ginger, more just normal white girl with dark red hair (ala Famke)

21. Marvel united

Really depends on the artist.

[​IMG]

Regarding Famke, I actually think making her a ginger would be another way to differentiate her from Famke and Sophie

22. Xeno

Xeno That's America's ass!

From reports at the time, Whedon actually wrote the role of Wanda with Ronan in mind and she was definitely offered it. She initially expressed interest but later rejected the role outright. Ronan was said to have badly wanted the Rey role in Star Wars and passed on Wanda thinking she was a lock for that, which of course wasn't the case. Whedon was disappointed, though that didn't last long as Elizabeth Olsen accepted the role very soon thereafter. The studio is probably quite happy that Ronan didn't take the role as Olsen has done a stellar job.

Marvel united likes this.
  23. sleekstereo

sleekstereo Registered

Ronan has the range that will fit a character like Jean/Phoenix. Honestly, she is my top choice. Marvel Studios has gone after top talent these days, I wouldn't be surprised if she is already one of their top choices.

24. Frankeh

Frankeh Registered

No way, Jean hasn’t been fully redhead in any of these movies except for like X3. Her hair always looks brown or orange like in Apocalypse.

I want Marvel to go full on long red flowing hair a la Mera.

25. Marvel united

To be fair, I've never seen anybody's hair naturally have this shade of red
    amberheard.jpg
    But I assumed that was the point since Mera is an Atlantean/not human. I don't think that's a natural shade.

I guess if they really want Jean to have a crimson shade of red then they can say it's part of her mutation or something.
    Jean-Grey-90s-Phoenix-Resurrection.jpg