Dark of the Moon Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
The movie wasn't based on a line of toys as in Toy Story 1 was made before Toy Story toys came out.

And yet the film was still based on toys..in general.

Besides, most of the toys featured in the first Toy Story predate the film.

MR.Potato head
Slinky dog
The Piggy bank
Army men
Etch a sketch

and the list gos on.

And yet the film was still based on toys..in general.

Besides, most of the toys featured in the first Toy Story predate the film.

MR.Potato head
Slinky dog
The Piggy bank
Army men
Etch a sketch

and the list gos on.

Did Etch a sketch have a toy line with backstory on it? I can totally see the back of an Etch a sketch packaging saying that Etch was from the Planet Sketch and had to leave because of a civil war between red and blue Etch a sketches.

The plot of Toy Story was completely original and was thought up by Pixar writers. The plot of Transformers came from the back of a toy box thought up by Hasbro marketers. Now I wonder which is going to be a better movie from the get go.

Did Etch a sketch have a toy line with backstory on it?

Irrelevent since the back story was created to sell the toy.

Dont forget that TF's were toys and a comic before it was a cartoon.

The plot of Toy Story was completely original and was thought up by Pixar writers.

Hardly.The basic theme/plot for toy story was inspired by shows like the Twlight Zone, the Outer limits and other episodic Sci/fi fantasy shows that featured storys about the secret lives of toys, and other inanimate objects , when people wertent around.

The plot of Transformers came from the back of a toy box thought up by Hasbro marketers.

Wrong.

The plot of Transformers came from Marvel comics writters.

Now I wonder which is going to be a better movie from the get go.

Considering how well other Marvel ideas are doing these days thats a pretty week statement.

To say, "what do you expect from a toy line" is a total cop out.Its week and devoid of logic.

The first Mortal Combat film was pretty well done, for a film based on a game.

The same can be said for the first Resident Evil.

Dont forget that TF's were toys and a comic before it was a cartoon.
That is the point people are making in here. They were toys first and foremost and then they expanded.

Hardly.The basic theme/plot for toy story was inspired by shows like the Twlight Zone, the Outer limits and other episodic Sci/fi fantasy shows that featured storys about the secret lives of toys, and other inanimate objects , when people wertent around.
:dry: But, Transformers is totally original right?

What came first: the toys, the comic, or the cartoon? Oh the toys! So what do you have to do to sell toys to kids? You don't just put a Transformer in a box and expect it to sell. You give it backstory with commercials and packaging.

Considering how well other Marvel ideas are doing these days thats a pretty week statement.

To say, "what do you expect from a toy line" is a total cop out.Its week and devoid of logic.

The first Mortal Combat film was pretty well done, for a film based on a game.

The same can be said for the first Resident Evil.
Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were both mediocre films. Mortal Kombat was very cheesy and was pretty much the epitome of 90s cheese. A good video game movie in that genre isn't much to boast about.

That is the point people are making in here. They were toys first and foremost and then they expanded.

Sounds like the toys from Toy Story.

:dry: But, Transformers is totally original right?

Did you read something in my post that made such a claim.....No you didnt.

What came first: the toys, the comic, or the cartoon?

Toy's, from Japan which had no back story, or characterts, that you would resemble the back story written by Marvel.

Now the toys were released before the comic, but Hasbro didnt write the back stories.

Marvel did.
Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were both mediocre films.

In your opinion.

Mortal Kombat was very cheesy and was pretty much the epitome of 90s cheese.

Which was pretty well recieved by the fandom of the game.

A good video game movie in that genre isn't much to boast about.

Sure it is.

I don't think we are going to get anywhere when you think Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were good films but Toy Story was not.

Transformers was made to sell toys. It is first and foremost a toy franchise. All of its marketing revolve around selling toys.

I don't think we are going to get anywhere when you think Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were good films but Toy Story was not.

Who said Toy Story was not a good film???

I think you need to pay more attention to what you read.

Transformers was made to sell toys. It is first and foremost a toy franchise. All of its marketing revolve around selling toys.
And the point is that Mortal Kombat ,Resident Evil and Toy Story are all films based on toys/games as well.

Both Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were well received by their fandoms.

Toy Story, not being based on any one toy, but toys in general, was one of the best written films of its decade.

Neither TF film can make either claim.

Simplely saying "that we cant expect more from a film based on a toy" is weak.

Last edited:
Toy Story is not based on a toy line.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Why is it when people say they want less juvenile humor, everyone thinks they are expecting Schindler's list?

Why is that people want these films to be more like G1 when that cartoon was ridiculously stupid??? Yeah it was a good children's cartoon but damn that show is terrible today just like the old 90s Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons are so terribly childish today. Loved them when I was growing up but I would rip out my eyes if I saw that crap on screen.

Toy Story is not based on a toy line.........................................................................................................................................................................................
Again, you need to pay attention to what you read.

I said....."Toy Story, not being based on any one toy, but toys in general, "

Face it, Toy Story was based on toys.

Again, you need to pay attention to what you read.

I said....."Toy Story, not being based on any one toy, but toys in general, "

Face it, Toy Story was based on toys.
So what toy line did they use to write the plot?

Why is that people want these films to be more like G1 when that cartoon was ridiculously stupid??? Yeah it was a good children's cartoon but damn that show is terrible today just like the old 90s Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons are so terribly childish today. Loved them when I was growing up but I would rip out my eyes if I saw that crap on screen.

I don't want the Movies like G1. I want a Movie doesn't need to focus on asses, boobs, tons of cussing or other **** like that. But no, the only way to achieve that is apparently to base it entirely on G1 or make a Drama out of the Movie.

So what toy line did they use to write the plot?

Thats an irrelevant question since Bay's films plots werent exactly taken from any of the TF toyline.

The point is, the creators of Toy Story took a bunch of un-related toys and told a great story.

Are you suggesting the same could not have been done with Transformers because of the original cartoon??

Again thats weak.

The original G1 comics told some great stories.

The Beast Wars show told some great stories.

TFAnimated told some great stories

Even Beast Machines told some great stories.

All based on single toylines.

Oh so you are saying that Hasbro never told Bay to put Devastor's individual parts and Devastator in the same scene so that they could sell toys because they weren't able to make an actual transforming Devastator?

Oh so you are saying that Hasbro never told Bay to put Devastor's individual parts and Devastator in the same scene so that they could sell toys because they weren't able to make an actual transforming Devastator?

You like putting words in others mouths dont you?

Must be because your argument is failing.

A]I dont recall Devestators individual parts and Devastator as a whole being in the same exact scene.

True , story wise his parts and the whole were in 2 different places at the same time but thats not the same scene.

That was poor editing on Bays behalf not Hasbro's doing.

B]Hasbro did indeed make an actual transforming Devastator for the movie line.

http://www.tfu.info/2010/Decepticon/WMConstructiconDevastator/devastator.htm

C] I doubt very much that Bay cared about much of what Hasbro wanted.

Hasbro wanted the tank in the first film to have the name "Brawl".

Bay refused and went with the name "Devastator", for the tank.

And no, it wasnt a mistake, Bay has admitted he preferred the name and thats why he chose it.

this is perfect for Transformers. Any Transformers movie is suppose to be just explosive fun............ who the hell cares about some dramatic/serious story in a movie based on toys???

I can agree with you. For some reason the movies, which are designed to put the most people in the seats as possible, as well as sell toys, are being held to a MUCH higher standard than the original show.

I'll put all of you in the "I don't get it" aisle.

The movies COULD have been better.

The movies COULD have taken what was good about ALL of the Transformer franchises and made a decent sci-fi franchise out of it.

Some sci-fi movies are funny, yet they are still good movies without the dumbness that Bay has vomited all over the place.

Every single argument FOR these movies has always been extreme. Who here is saying they want everything exactly like G1? Who? I don't remember anybody saying that. Balance is what makes a good movie adaptation. Too much of it or too little of it makes for a crap adaptation. Japanese anime like Evangelion are good examples of good storytelling about good sci-fi.

Bay thought the whole Transformer idea was stupid to begin with... but they talked him into it, he saw the cash potential and milked it. It's obvious in the movies how dumb he thinks the whole thing is... dumb movies made by a director who has zero respect for the good qualities of the franchise.

Now let's hear some more "Transformers G1 was dumb... they used to breakdance" arguments. Because we asked to see that on the screen. :whatever:

Transformers could've been the next Star Wars. Instead it's all about ****tons of explosions and "Oh, look! Boobies!"

You like putting words in others mouths dont you?

Must be because your argument is failing.

A]I dont recall Devestators individual parts and Devastator as a whole being in the same exact scene.

True , story wise his parts and the whole were in 2 different places at the same time but thats not the same scene.

That was poor editing on Bays behalf not Hasbro's doing.

B]Hasbro did indeed make an actual transforming Devastator for the movie line.

C] I doubt very much that Bay cared about much of what Hasbro wanted.

Hasbro wanted the tank in the first film to have the name "Brawl".

Bay refused and went with the name "Devastator", for the tank.

And no, it wasnt a mistake, Bay has admitted he preferred the name and thats why he chose it.
So wait...you just admitted that Hasbro is involved with the creative process. Hasbro is a toy company. But somehow that equates to Mattel having creative decisions on where they wanted their Barbie and Ken doll to go in the third Toy Story. UMK.

That Devastator up there cannot transform. Each individual part cannot become its own individual robot. Hasbro wanted Bay to show Mixmaster in the fight as a robot and also somehow part of Devastator. That way there are two concrete trucks in the same scenes because Hasbro couldn't make a movie accurate Devastator. There were reports of it happening in the Revenge of the Fallen thread right after the movie came out. That is how we found out why Devastator's individual parts were fighting and somehow part of Devastator.

I'll put all of you in the "I don't get it" aisle.

The movies COULD have been better.

The movies COULD have taken what was good about ALL of the Transformer franchises and made a decent sci-fi franchise out of it.

Some sci-fi movies are funny, yet they are still good movies without the dumbness that Bay has vomited all over the place.

Every single argument FOR these movies has always been extreme. Who here is saying they want everything exactly like G1? Who? I don't remember anybody saying that. Balance is what makes a good movie adaptation. Too much of it or too little of it makes for a crap adaptation. Japanese anime like Evangelion are good examples of good storytelling about good sci-fi.

Bay thought the whole Transformer idea was stupid to begin with... but they talked him into it, he saw the cash potential and milked it. It's obvious in the movies how dumb he thinks the whole thing is... dumb movies made by a director who has zero respect for the good qualities of the franchise.

Now let's hear some more "Transformers G1 was dumb... they used to breakdance" arguments. Because we asked to see that on the screen. :whatever:
Look at the people in here posting pictures of G1 modeled robots. People since the beginning of this franchise have said that this is inferior to G1. I agree that these movies are terribly written but the direction they took the franchise was fantastic in terms of visuals.

Transformers could've been the next Star Wars. Instead it's all about ****tons of explosions and "Oh, look! Boobies!"

Heck, I'd have taken Transformers as the next Back to the Future. At least the closest to toilet humor we really got there was Biff slamming his car into a manure truck.

Although, Star Wars sold ****LOADS of toys - probably more than TF as a much more toy-centric brand could ever hope to - and I don't once recall seeing Artoo pop his fuel cap to pee on the Jawas until they turned him over to Luke. Or the Walkers having balls. Or Wicket humping Leia's leg (well, O.K., he humped Han's in the hut during Uncle Threepio's Story Time, but it wasn't nearly as gratuitous :oldrazz: ).

So wait...you just admitted that Hasbro is involved with the creative process. Hasbro is a toy company. But somehow that equates to Mattel having creative decisions on where they wanted their Barbie and Ken doll to go in the third Toy Story. UMK.

Dude, what are you talking about??

When did I admit Hasbro was involved in the creative process??

I never said they were or werent.

I said, Bay didnt care much for what Hasbro wanted as evident by his refusing a character name Hasbro wanted.

That Devastator up there cannot transform. Each individual part cannot become its own individual robot.
Now I know your having trouble reading, but you cant see with your own eyes either??

Heres the link again.

Each part of that toy does indeed transform into its individual robots.

Scrool down the page and you'll see each part.
Hasbro wanted Bay to show Mixmaster in the fight as a robot and also somehow part of Devastator. That way there are two concrete trucks in the same scenes because Hasbro couldn't make a movie accurate Devastator.
Like I said, story wise his parts were in 2 places at the same time, but they werent in the same scene.

So, your argument fails again.

Care to try again.

Last edited:
Yeah if you're going to knock Transformers for being an over-glorified toy commercial you have to knock Star Wars too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"