Dark of the Moon Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that matter, I wonder how GI Joe would've turned out had Bay done that instead?

I really would've loved to see that. The action and visuals would've been pretty stunning, with hardcore soldiers and killers the humor might not have been as juvenile as in ROTF and with all his military connections, the Movie might have been maybe a bit more grounded and not so ridiculous.

Lennox is closer to how Duke should be than the 1 in the actual movie.

also true

however if that happened than GI Joe would be the cultural hit at the moment and the tf as forgotten as it was 6 years ago...with sommers at the helm.

Zemeckis would have done with Transformers what he's done with all his films in the past 11 years...
forgetable crap..mostly in motion capture...yay.

but atleast the fanboys would have been happy, as happy as they are with all the new television series that are true to the material. They would have thrown their overwhelming support and that would have made all the difference between the failure that is bayformers and a successful hollowood film series.

meh.

Are you kidding me? Zemekis is an incredible director. He would have bought the magic of Transformers to life, like very few directors could. He's in the same boat in Speilburg right now where he isn't really directing anything but being more of a producer....

..and i don't know why everyone is so quick to knock fanboys. The fanboys are the reason why this, and many other 70's and 80's franchises, have lasted well into the present day....:huh: You think the general public cares about Transformers, really? The only reason they're buying tickets to go see these movies is because it's the current trend. Once the trend dies down, it's the fans that will keep this alive and no one else.

sorry pals

but I don't agree. That director had his charms but like many "great" directors of the past they've just had a hard time adjesting to the contempory landscape.
Honestly back to the future and roger rabit was fun but if they were released now they would be torn apart and ignored. As ignored as Rob's contemporary films. Moreover he would insist on making TF a mo cap picture and that would not be the marvel that is these movies. Just like "our" childhood memory of TF, we've glorified the mans work to splendid proportions. Perhaps he did have something special at some point ala Lucas, and just like him he's a lameO now...or perhaps the work has been consistent but the audience just doesn't care anymore. Indy 4...Superman Returns.

Zemeckis would turn TF into a beyowolf like film and no one but a group of fanboys would even give it the time of day. Dude just doesn't have the mojo anymore. However he would include less toilet humor...for better or worse.

sorry pals

edit

Last edited:
Bay is a fantastic visual director with awesome action but he's horible with actually telling a story.
His movies are visually incoherent, so no, he's not "a fantastic visual director".

His movies are visually incoherent, so no, he's not "a fantastic visual director".

Agreed, they often involve

People jumping through massive destruction and explosions comming out with some scuffs and cuts............ if that.

That being said his direction of the actual actors is sub par at best.

He does at moments pull off some cool eye candy .....

Primes Roll out on the highway to intercept the big bad thing at the beginning of part 2 was well done.

Unfortuantly we never really got the idea of what kind of robots the destructicons were....... he end result was a monster that looked AWSOME.... but functioned really badly.

And seriously was it ever ever explained how the fallen was going to activate the device without the precious "key"

It all made very little sense at the end.

I like bay as a director but for some reason it always irks me when in his movies he'll do that stupid quick cut crap between shots to speed up the film. Its almost like he doesnt know how to let the story tell itself so he just says "screw it just speed everything up so if the audience misses anything they have to pay again".

I also dont like how in bays world everyone is a perfect 10 and college frat parties look more like night clubs/strip clubs.

I laughed out loud though in transformers 2 when mikaela told sam she would be at his college in a couple hours then the very next shot her plane lands and he is still walking to his room after there phone conversation.

1. His movies aren't all Transformers

2. His movies are about 6x times more "visually incoherent" than the likes of cloverfield, the crank series the latter bourne films and even nolans attemps at hand to hand in the batman series(and yes those aren't HIS only films)

Just like the movies having "absolutely zero plot" and "humor that is so offensive people should pettition" it's internet driven hyperbole. But hey everyone is intitled to their opinion. (and a pair of glasses)

the robot fights in the first transformers were confusing... the scene where bumblebee battles barricade (the policecar), you couldnt make out what was going on... but in the second movie the fight scenes were planned better, they even changed some robot's colours so two of the same colour wont be easily mixed up. Having said all that, you still didnt know which was a good robot and which was a bad robot.

good robots are colourful, bad robots are colourless and "all look the same"

keeping with this trend of assuming the filmmakers intentions, the first first robot on robot fight was "designed" to be disorienting and from the human perpective...the highway fight was from a very different perspective which in the grand scheme of things serves the story.

The battle of Omaha beach was shot extremely chaotic and disorienting(even the sound). One couldn't make out who was good or who was bad, everyone looke the SAME and even the left to right camera direction was lost...

There is a clear case of "incoherent" camera direction, but why complain about that, it was deliberate war time coverage.

the robot fights in the first transformers were confusing... the scene where bumblebee battles barricade (the policecar), you couldnt make out what was going on... but in the second movie the fight scenes were planned better, they even changed some robot's colours so two of the same colour wont be easily mixed up. Having said all that, you still didnt know which was a good robot and which was a bad robot.

I hate that in not just these movies but in any movie fight. I hate the feeling like someone is waving a bunch of junk in my face and then going "see, see how cool that is". is it so hard to pull the camera back and show us the whole fight.

sorry pals

but I don't agree. That director had his charms but like many "great" directors of the past they've just had a hard time adjesting to the contempory landscape.
Honestly back to the future and roger rabit was fun but if they were released now they would be torn apart and ignored. As ignored as Rob's contemporary films. Moreover he would insist on making TF a mo cap picture and that would not be the marvel that is these movies. Just like "our" childhood memory of TF, we've glorified the mans work to splendid proportions. Perhaps he did have something special at some point ala Lucas, and just like him he's a lameO now...or perhaps the work has been consistent but the audience just doesn't care anymore. Indy 4...Superman Returns.

Zemeckis would turn TF into a beyowolf like film and no one but a group of fanboys would even give it the time of day. Dude just doesn't have the mojo anymore. However he would include less toilet humor...for better or worse.
Sorry, I just have to address the bit I put in bold. You cold not possibly be more wrong. The fact that Back to the Future was just re-released in theaters and actually enjoyed by audiences new and old says something. It's a timeless classic, and if released today would still mop the floor with everything else at the box office/critics.

Just like the movies having "absolutely zero plot" and "humor that is so offensive people should pettition" it's internet driven hyperbole. But hey everyone is intitled to their opinion. (and a pair of glasses)

As opposed to what? Office talk driven? Because I've heard it there too. I don't think that they are so offensive that they require a petition... but some of the humor, especially in TF2, didn't help the story at all... and really took me out of the movie.

As opposed to what? Office talk driven? Because I've heard it there too. I don't think that they are so offensive that they require a petition... but some of the humor, especially in TF2, didn't help the story at all... and really took me out of the movie.

i felt the same way, like showing sector 7 guys butt cheeks while hes changing, or the whole bathroom scene that made it look like there two gay guys with there pants down on the ground. stupid humor like that always irks me in movies because it has nothing to do with with the movie. I also questioned us having to watch 15 minutes almost of sam and his parents in high school. Sams mom getting high on brownies had nothing to do with that plot of pushing it along. they could have cut so much uneeded scenes and got it well under 2 hours.

Let's look at it from a studio's point of view. They know these are not going to be Oscar contenders. They know they want a summer blockbuster that's going to make a ton of money. Now, I challenge anyone here to find another director, who does nothing but action flicks, that has brought in the bank that Michael Bay has, AND can crank the films out over the course 5 years? Again, the studio wants to make a ton of money, and it would make sense to them to hire a guy who has only made 2 movies that made less than $125 million!

For reference... Source.
Revenge of the Fallen $402,111,870
Transformers $319,246,193
The Island $35,818,913
Bad Boys II $138,608,444
Pearl Harbor $198,542,554
Armageddon $201,578,182
The Rock $134,069,511
Bad Boys $65,807,024
TOTAL $1,495,782,691

If they got someone like JJ abrams next, the movies will be much slicker for starters

Im gonna chime in on this like OP i was a great fan till this movie came out.

Did anyone read the comics? Does anyone remember the DreamWave final story line? It focused on the TRANSFORMERS and almost 5% of it was human involvement. it was VERY faithful to the original cartoon and wasn't intelligence insulting.

Everyone argues this was stupid or that wouldn't work but i believe it would.

Youre watching a MAKE BELIEVE MOVIE about MAKE BELIEVE ALIEN ROBOTS.

1. Mass Shifting - Everyone *****ED about it not making sense and the Cube does it in the first movie and no one blinks and they all explained it away as if this cube was okay because it had mystic powers or something.

Best way to handle it was to treat it like Scott Pilgrim did. Don't EXPLAIN ANYTHING. People aren't THAT stupid, they will accept it for what it is and i guarantee wouldn't have thought twice about it. Yeah you'll laugh but it wont take you out of the movie.

2. Static Faces - Bay said no stretching metal? why do they have to "stretch"??? but giving them LIPS and other facial features was okay?

i've always felt this was the best looking TF done and this is how they SHOULD have looked:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMVTgnW1_Pw[/YT]

TransZ_WIP02.jpg
TransZ_WIP01.jpg

3. the ICONIC Transforming sound was almost non-existent in the movie. Bay PURPOSELY put it in the second trailer in places where it didn't exist. That's like making a mighty mouse movie and him never saying "here i come to save the day"

I did NOT see the second movie because i was so disgusted by the treatment of these beloved characters (who while the cartoon was horrible, they STILL HAD PERSONALITIES that you could identify readily) that i refused to see it even on cable. Then the more i read about it, i just hated it even more.

I am glad to see this come to an end so that a director who will RESPECT the fans and the SOURCE material will have a chance to give us a PROPER Transformer movie and not this garbage that Michael Bay has deceived younger generations with.

Last edited:
You really want to go back to blocky, less detailed robots? Michael Bay's movies have done one great thing and that is making the Transformers look amazing and extremely detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"