Dark of the Moon Michael Bay has killed Transformers for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abrams managed to reinvent it with style, making it a fun popcorn movie where people that used to go "meh" to Star Trek actually enjoy it.

mainstream audiences looked at the tranformers cartoon as a toy commercial for kids and (or) geeks.
Bays first movie was/is a major modern blockbuster that entertained audiences and re-introduced the for geeks 80's property to the pop culture audience.

see GI Joe, if you want to see what happens to a bay-less 80's adaptation.
wooo

There is no reason why Transformers couldn't have been like this. Oh and for those that stand up for Bay and his work, you are what you eat.

That's a ridiculous high nosed comment that plagues bay discussions. If that was true we would either only watch documentaries or high caliber art films. Film is entertainment not Nutrition. Ever see a stand up comdey show? Why bother, when you could spend your money on a lecture about the universe. Why listen to contempory music when you could listen to beethoven all day.

Come on man.

now let's all go watch the hangover now.

I love both Michael Bay's Transformers and JJ Abram's Star Trek even though them two are very different from what they originally were... however I can put those nitpicks aside and appreciate the director's point of view. It's when the director's ideas become too offensive or inappropriate that I shake my head. But overall, in neither of Transformers 1 & 2 or Star Trek XI has the 'differences' become so glaring that I am unable to enjoy the movies

No matter how stupid G1 is, they don't ever descend to robot genitalia, dogs humping, pot brownies, and robot bodily functions.

mainstream audiences looked at the tranformers cartoon as a toy commercial for kids and (or) geeks.
Bays first movie was/is a major modern blockbuster that entertained audiences and re-introduced the for geeks 80's property to the pop culture audience.

see GI Joe, if you want to see what happens to a bay-less 80's adaptation.
wooo

This is kind of true, although I think movies like Spiderman and Xmen helped ease Transformers into that mainstream pop culture. Not to sure if Transformers would have had as much success if it was the first film of these pop culture movies.

I must admit I have not seen GI Joe, so I cant make that comparison.

That's a ridiculous high nosed comment that plagues bay discussions. If that was true we would either only watch documentaries or high caliber art films. Film is entertainment not Nutrition. Ever see a stand up comdey show? Why bother, when you could spend your money on a lecture about the universe. Why listen to contempory music when you could listen to beethoven all day.

Oh come on now, I never said people cant have fun watching these sorts of movies, you wouldn't go into a movie expecting you were watching Citizen Kane everytime. It was directed at the people that ignored the stupidly obvious mistakes that were made through carelessness, rushed production, and low standard of narrative (Bay even admitted that he screwed up). It takes a person with low standards to enjoy low standards, people shouldn't just curl over and accept everything that is thrown at them in life.

Come on man.

now let's all go watch the hangover now.

Totally :up:

My biggest issue is this.... it leaves a bad taste in the audicnes mouth and then...

It possibly hampers other Giant Robot movies.

I worry about Voltron, 'trying to be like Bays beasts"

But more importantly I wait for the greatest Giant Robot Movie ever to be made

EVANGELION - Eva is an increadibly deep storyline that also features one of the most Jaw dropping giant robot battles ever as Zeruel devastates central Dogma, Only to Have Shinji return in unit 01 and save the day.

Eva pretty much blew everything else out of the water, far better then Gundam or Robotech.

There is only one other I would be interested in seeing....

Escaflowne.

It can't really be argued. The Bay movies are as stupid as fighting Mike Tyson without ear muffs. They are filled with ridiculous and moronic humor and racial, prejudicial and ****** humor and stupid inane dialogue.

The transformer characters have virtually no character to speak of and barely even do anything of note in the movies at all.

It can't really be argued. The Bay movies are as stupid as fighting Mike Tyson without ear muffs. They are filled with ridiculous and moronic humor and racial, prejudicial and ****** humor and stupid inane dialogue.

The transformer characters have virtually no character to speak of and barely even do anything of note in the movies at all.

Do you thrive on repeating the same old crap? Because I think you do. Doe's it provide more power for you?

Last edited:
Gone are the days of Amblin Entertainment magic....

Do you thrive on repeating the same old crap? Because I think you do. Doe's it provide more power for you?

Tired of hearing the truth? Just do what other stubborn people do, plug your ears and go "nah, nah, nah, nah, I can't heaar yooou".

Yeah the movies are low standard for sure. Theres a lot of promise in a story like the one transformers can bring, but when its reduced to teen humor of course it leaves you wondering why it wasnt made up to its potential. The movie is basically a $200000000 teen comedy.

Tired of hearing the truth? Just do what other stubborn people do, plug your ears and go "nah, nah, nah, nah, I can't heaar yooou".

Opinion = truth now? When did that happen? I really wish people could keep up to date on these things. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Your opinion is the truth? When did that happen? I really wish people could keep up to date on these things. :oldrazz:

First of all, I was quoting a post other than my own. Second, the post contained facts:

It can't really be argued. The Bay movies are as stupid as fighting Mike Tyson without ear muffs. FACT: They are filled with ridiculous and moronic humor and racial, prejudicial and ****** humor and stupid inane dialogue.

FACT: The transformer characters have virtually no character to speak of and barely even do anything of note in the movies at all.

Can those facts truly be denied?

It's a mixture of both. The humour is moronic, yes, but not everyone thinks it's racist. That's a point of view.

How did Optimus Prime have no character?

:yay:

Last edited:
It's a mixture of both. The humour is moronic, yes, but not everyone thinks it's racist. That's a point of view.

How did Optimus Prime have no character?

:yay:

Optimus Prime is the only transformer that actually has character (in the movies that is).

Optimus Prime is the only transformer that actually has character (in the movies that is).

I thought the five autobots in the first film were pretty well done... it was in the second film where it started to get messed up. Jetfire was good but way too overdone in some parts

Yeah the movies are low standard for sure. Theres a lot of promise in a story like the one transformers can bring, but when its reduced to teen humor of course it leaves you wondering why it wasnt made up to its potential. The movie is basically a $200000000 teen comedy.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but when was the last time a teen comedy was called the "Stupidest movie of all time?" "The most offensive...etc"

transfomers does something magical...pisses off fanboys...which would probably explain the revenue.

you'll probably hate castaway then.

Funny you mentioned Cast Away. When the 2007 movie was first announced... Zemeckis was one of the directors I was hoping would take the helm.

Funny you mentioned Cast Away. When the 2007 movie was first announced... Zemeckis was one of the directors I was hoping would take the helm.

Zemekis would have been awesome, as would have Speilburg.

Zemeckis would have done with Transformers what he's done with all his films in the past 11 years...
forgetable crap..mostly in motion capture...yay.

but atleast the fanboys would have been happy, as happy as they are with all the new television series that are true to the material. They would have thrown their overwhelming support and that would have made all the difference between the failure that is bayformers and a successful hollowood film series.

meh.

Natalie Dormer would be a good catwoman..but haven't we seen enough of that character? Unless one thinks nolan would bring something to the character that would amaze the audience...
lets face it she's no joker, she's a love interest in the with a darker costume than elektra(as far as film is concerned), and of all things nolan is good at Love interests are at the top of his list.
meh
but Natalie Dormer would be awesome.

Last edited:

I've always have been curious as to what a Zemeckis-directed TF film would've turned out. For that matter, I wonder how GI Joe would've turned out had Bay done that instead?

Can those facts truly be denied?

there all opinions
what a pointless satement to try and prove upon a subjective medium.

tell me, would every single person sitting in those seats opening night, some actually most laughing and having a good time, describe the movie as such?

No(and that's a fact)
which makes all that crap opinion, perhaps the popular one(perhaps not), but nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"