Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match | WB Animation

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
RTF EXCLUSIVE: Joel McHale and Jennifer Carpenter Will Lead The Cast of An Animated MORTAL KOMBAT Movie! - Revenge of The Fans

Mortal Kombat is one of those franchises that simply won’t die. And that’s not a bad thing. The folks behind it have managed to stay ahead of the curve, and to find ways of reinventing and reinvigorating the property every few years since it debuted at arcades in 1992. From countless games, to television series, to live-action films, as well as comics, co-creator Ed Boon always seems ready to expand the Mortal Kombat universe.

And thanks to the new(ish) owners of the property, Boon’s got the resources to do some pretty cool stuff with it.

See, Warner Bros. purchased Midway back in 2009 (and renamed it NetherRealm), making them the new owners of all things Mortal Kombat. With that, they were able to reboot and relaunch the game series in 2011 through WB Interactive Entertainment. Having Warner Bros. as its new parent also paved the way for Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, which provided a path for the Injustice games.

So you could say that WB purchasing Mortal Kombat has proven rather fruitful. Yet there’s another department of Warner Bros. looking to visit Outworld: WB Animation.

While a live-action, cinematic reboot for Mortal Kombat has been in the cards for some time, I’m here today to let you know that WB Animation is working on an MK movie of their own!

That’s right. The same studio that oversees all of those wonderful DC animated films you love so much is now getting ready to unveil a Mortal Kombat movie. Get psyched.

But that’s not all. I’ve also got some casting details for you.

Taking a glance at the official cast list for the film, two names jumped out at me as the “marquee stars” for this. One of them is Joel McHale. The one-time Community star, and former host of The Soup and The Joel McHale Show With Joel McHale, is undoubtedly the biggest name on the list.

As for who he’s playing? I can’t say for certain, but I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to imagine what a perfect Johnny Cage he’d be. Why? Cause McHale’s whole shtick is that he’s a smart alecky Hollywood star, and that’s a core characteristic for Cage as well.

Our educated guess is that McHale will voice Johnny Cage

And that second name that jumped out at me? That would be former Dexter star Jennifer Carpenter. She played the title character’s feisty, turbulent sister Debra on the series, and voiced Selina Kyle in Batman By Gaslight. If I had to venture a guess, barring the introduction of a new female lead, I’d say she’d be ideal for Sonya Blade.

Here are some other cool names on the cast list for this animated Mortal Kombat movie (along with some key voice credits):

• Darin DePaul (Spider-Man PS4, Justice League Action)
  • Fred Tatasciore (He’s absolutely prolific, but you can currently check him out on Avengers Assemble and the newVoltron)
  • Grey Griffin (Young Justice, Avengers Assemble)
  • Ike Amadi (Avengers Assemble, Trollhunters)
  • Kevin Michael Richardson (Another absolutely prolific voice actor, it was just announced he’ll be Mr. Terrific in Justice League vs The Fatal Five)
  • Patrick Seitz (Has voiced Scorpion for all of the new MK games)
  • Robin Atkin Downes (Disenchantment, Voltron, a ton more)
  • Steve Blum (Voiced Sub-Zero in the Mortal Kombat reboot game)
  • Jordan Rodrigues

I hope this is true!!! :wow::mrk::mrk:

Last edited:
I’ll watch for sure. :up:

I’m all here for it, especially animated. Hoping for an Overwatch film that’s animated too.

I'm here for it. I still think they should do a live action show rather than a movie though.

I’m all here for it, especially animated. Hoping for an Overwatch film that’s animated too.
Great call on Overwatch. :up:

So much exciting stuff coming from WB Animation in the next year or so!!!! Long Halloween, Red Son and now this?!

Just have Pixar animate the overwatch movie. First PG13 entry.

Just noticed this part in the article. Possible two-parter!!

Some find it notable that there’s been so much news about animated projects as of late, coming out of Warner Bros, specifically. Between this Mortal Kombat movie (which I hear could end up being a two-parter), and other recent scoops of mine that revealed that Batman: Long Halloween and Superman: Red Son adaptations are coming, it feels like there’s been a noticeable uptick in animated film projects.

Off topic and probably goes into the game thread, but apparently Ronda Rousey is being considered for Sonya in MK 11.

Sure I'll check it out, but I don't get why we can't have a proper live action reboot at this point. I would rather see that before any animated films, but I guess I'll take what I can get from this franchise. No way its not going to be R-rated either.

Wish Jay Oliva was still at WB animation... he would have killed it with the fight choreography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"